GT5 Latest News & Discussion

• Thread starter gamelle71
  • 76,879 comments
Just ran a few laps on the Nordschleife with the SLS at my local Mercedes dealer and what a blast it is. :embarrassed:

You can now 'feel' every bump in the road and it looks like there are more than in GT4 (so not a one-on-one port). The SLS requires delicate throttle and break control, even in standard mode. The AI clearly have made a step up from Prologue, they are well aware of the other cars in the field and will try to avoid a collision. Which is a good thing, because even the slightest touch results in a spin-out. And this is good news for the online races, because tapping a car from behind (e.g. at the end of a straight) results in you losing the car. 👍

But I do hope that this strict collision behavior can be turned off in private rooms, because it is not very realistic.

Actually, your odds are the same per ticket, even if you won last week, or you bought 1,000 tickets last week and lost on every one.
I was argueing dude!
Odds per ticket is an element you just introduced to defend your point, one where you incorrectly assumed that I bought one ticket last week, and one ticket this week.

It's also an element that is completely irrelevant. If I buy 1 ticket, I have a "1 in 13,983,816" chance of scooping all 6 numbers. However, if I buy 13,983,816 tickets, I am guaranteed to have all 6 numbers, therefore at least part of the jackpot. Financials aside, this is a statistical fact for our National Lottery.

I am perfectly aware that if I roll a die today, the odds of getting a "6" are "1 in 6", and if I roll the same die again tomorrow, all things being equal, the odds of getting a "6" are still "1 in 6". Naturally, if I have two dice and roll them together, the odds of getting a "6" are improved to "2 in 6", or "1 in 3" taking it to the lowest form.

Having said that, odds are not always fixed. Just look up the "Monty Hall" problem. It's not quite the same as a lottery, but shows that with a bit of thought, you can alter the odds in certain situations to your favour.

Thanks for arguing, I liked this one, although well off-topic (sorry guys!) :lol:

Odds per ticket is an element you just introduced to defend your point, one where you incorrectly assumed that I bought one ticket last week, and one ticket this week.

It's also an element that is completely irrelevant. If I buy 1 ticket, I have a "1 in 13,983,816" chance of scooping all 6 numbers. However, if I buy 13,983,816 tickets, I am guaranteed to have all 6 numbers, therefore at least part of the jackpot. Financials aside, this is a statistical fact for our National Lottery.

I am perfectly aware that if I roll a die today, the odds of getting a "6" are "1 in 6", and if I roll the same die again tomorrow, all things being equal, the odds of getting a "6" are still "1 in 6". Naturally, if I have two dice and roll them together, the odds of getting a "6" are improved to "2 in 6", or "1 in 3" taking it to the lowest form.

Having said that, odds are not always fixed. Just look up the "Monty Hall" problem. It's not quite the same as a lottery, but shows that with a bit of thought, you can alter the odds in certain situations to your favour.

Thanks for arguing, I liked this one, although well off-topic (sorry guys!) :lol:

First, you introduced a new element, number of tickets.
Second, I made a type-o that I immediately fixed, almost an hour before your post.
Lastly, anything else you have brought up is irrelevant.

Just ran a few laps on the Nordschleife with the SLS at my local Mercedes dealer and what a blast it is. :embarrassed:
But I do hope that this strict collision behavior can be turned off in private rooms, because it is not very realistic.

Fancy going back with a video camera to capture this?

:cheers:

Actually, wouldn't that still be 1 in 6 since you have 2 dice and and 12 sides/numbers?

Don't mind if the discussion goes a little off topic regarding GT5 when discussing cars and tracks and all related trivia, but a whole debate on the increasing/decreasing chances of winning the lottery is a bit much in my opinion, at least Denur provided some real new first hand insights regarding driving physics on the SLS-demo, but everyone seems more willing to discuss the lottery, which is as we all know the stupidity tax.:indiff:

Last edited:
Lucky you. ;)

What about the physics? Feels exactly the same of the TT? Did you feel some difference in the tire model?

I've never seen that before, although I remember something similar posted in this very same thread.

Anyway, thanks for sharing, I enjoyed watching. ;)

If we're talking PD's economic health, we can't forget that they make money elsewhere. They didn't design the GT-R's multifunction display for free, and I'm sure Mercedes paid them well for the heavy use of PD's digital model of the SLS in their launch of the car.

They've turned their access to the automotive industry, and that industry's need for digital renderings of their cars, in to an alternative revenue stream (or is it now their main stream?). We're not their only customers, and that grants them the freedom to take as long as it takes to get their flagship product just right.

I for one am willing to do my part by having patience, because, with the great appreciation I have for the 7 racing games I've bought from them in the last 10 years, comes a lot of respect for Kaz and his team.

The main complaints I have (and most people, until recently when the delay took over as the main complaint for most) has centered around what GT is missing. I've always loved the core driving experience, because no one does it better than PD, especially on a console, but that focus has left out some of the things that can really round out a racing game.

To get the Gran Turismo I really want, I have to buy in to Kaz's formula, and I have to respect his decision when he decided to delay the game. If it wasn't his decision (say Sony forced 3D on them), then I have to respect the ability of Kaz and his team to turn lemons in to lemonade, and use the time to the best of their abilities to better the game.

That's the reality of the situation, as I understand, and more importantly, accept it, through the eyes of an optimist. My point being that, if you really do like the GT series, please have some respect for the difficult nature of crafting a product that is required to meet such a high standard, and for the people who are probably busting their asses, right now, to meet our sky-high expectations. I'm sure the tensions are high and patience is thin inside the walls of PD's studio, far more so than they are here in the forums. I'm sure there's no one who wants GT5 on the shelf, and in the hands of millions of fans, more than Kaz. If you're stressed, imagine the people who call this their livelihood, their career, their life's work...

lol i think they spent more on All those stickers at LM , DTMD1, ETC ETC ETC . than on production cost.

Also you must consider last revenue of MW2 when game sold 10 mln activision earned about 1 bilion....

Also i think that this GT5 will sell way more than all past GT games. 20mln+ in it's lifetime

If we're talking PD's economic health, we can't forget that they make money elsewhere. They didn't design the GT-R's multifunction display for free, and I'm sure Mercedes paid them well for the heavy use of PD's digital model of the SLS in their launch of the car.

They are both just one-off events though, and in the case of AMG, capitalizing on the publicity of a popular upcoming game. If manufacturers need a digital rendering, I don't see them going to Polyphony - or anybody else - when those manufacturers can create much more realistic renders themselves, like Audi's R8 V10 5.2 FSI quattro render for example.

They are both just one-off events though, and in the case of AMG, capitalizing on the publicity of a popular upcoming game. If manufacturers need a digital rendering, I don't see them going to Polyphony - or anybody else - when those manufacturers can create much more realistic renders themselves, like Audi's R8 V10 5.2 FSI quattro render for example.

PD was involved in the run up to the launch of the BMW 1 series, the Nissan 350Z and other cars. Citroen didn't name their new concept after Gran Turismo because they're nice Frenchmen. They did it because PD was involved in the design process. Companies are going to them to get digital work done. Of course, not every digital render done in the automotive industry will be done by them, but it is a service they are providing the automotive industry.

My point being that PD has their fingers in a few pies. They didn't do all of this for fun.

You can now 'feel' every bump in the road and it looks like there are more than in GT4 (so not a one-on-one port). The SLS requires delicate throttle and break control, even in standard mode. The AI clearly have made a step up from Prologue, they are well aware of the other cars in the field and will try to avoid a collision. Which is a good thing, because even the slightest touch results in a spin-out. And this is good news for the online races, because tapping a car from behind (e.g. at the end of a straight) results in you losing the car. 👍

what about the engine sounds? I had to ask :sly:

My point being that, if you really do like the GT series, please have some respect for the difficult nature of crafting a product that is required to meet such a high standard, and for the people who are probably busting their asses, right now, to meet our sky-high expectations. I'm sure the tensions are high and patience is thin inside the walls of PD's studio, far more so than they are here in the forums. I'm sure there's no one who wants GT5 on the shelf, and in the hands of millions of fans, more than Kaz. If you're stressed, imagine the people who call this their livelihood, their career, their life's work...

I think people on this forum in general have the highest regard and respect for Mr Yamauchi and his team although it is not charity work they are doing as you yourself explained perfectly well in your post.
I'm sure the pressure is mounting, but it was probably always there especially since the succesful blueprint and ever more perfectionistic follow-ups they created themselves over the years and the standards they set are hard to meet by competitors, but probably also hard for them to exceed every time.
Unlike us, with still a seemingly endless wait before us and having only rumours, speculation and the odd bits of info, they live and breathe GT5 every single day ( not always as much fun I presume, especially now ) and time must be flying.
That's maybe the biggest ( but logical ) disconnect, and although I'm not stressed in any form I do get impatient like many ( also logical ) at times whether we are the main customers or just some other customers.:)

Latest Posts

Back