The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
This is good for ISI based PC sims, but probably not interesting for GT5.

Sorry for double post.

Why, I can't see any reason it shouldn't be a benefit.
PD remembered to change the angle for the X1 but forgot about the FGT.

And the DFP's 200 degree wheel lock.

thanks!

this is good news and at least better than no rotation angle adjustment at all in GT5 (if it works)!
:)

Well I tried the "MODE BUTTON+L2+L3 combo" and it doesn't work.

Heres a copy paste of the reply I got after asking what this combo would do would be the so-called EMULATION MODE and if that would be the case then I would lose Force feedback, I also wanted to know if doing this button combo would write anything on the internal flash memory, which would not be good, since it is not endlessly writable... anyhow this is the answer from tech support at Thrustmaster:

Thank you for your request. In order to resolve the issue you have encountered with your T500 RS, please refer to our response herewith:

It seems that there was a misunderstanding or our first answer was not complete enough.

Please allow us to fully explain the rotation angle properties and the differences between the Emulation and Force Feedback modes, which obviously have an impact on the rotation angle of the T500RS racing wheel.

The wheel and the relevant SDK (Software Development Kit) were issued to major PlayStation 3 game development studios to ensure full compatibility with forthcoming releases. The T500 RS SDK enables PlayStation 3 game development teams to configure and manage Force Feedback effects.

The SDK includes the ability to adjust the wheel rotation angle from 40 to 1080°. Individual development teams are therefore able to adjust and define wheel rotation angles according to their own preference. The wheel automatically adjusts to choices made by development teams.

Also, as you most probably know, the T500RS has two modes in order to ensure compatibility with all PlayStation3 games: the Force Feedback mode and the Emulation mode.

A full explanation of these modes can be found here: http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download...00RS/T500_RS_PS3_Games_Compatibility_Mode.pdf

The connection between these two modes and our answer regarding the rotation angle is that you can have either the default rotation angle of the wheel (by setting it to the Force Feedback mode) OR 270° (by setting it to the Emulation mode). The Emulation Mode is automatically used with any game that does not support the Force Feedback mode. When a game supports the Force Feedback mode (currently, only GT5), the wheel will calibrate itself when the game starts. Apart from this, there is no other way to set the rotation angle to another value.

Regarding GRAN TURISMO 5, as an official racing wheel, the T500 RS is fully suited to the game's configuration and settings, that way no modification to the rotation angle is needed.

A) The SDK includes the ability to adjust the wheel rotation angle from 40 to 1080°. Individual development teams are therefore able to adjust and define wheel rotation angles according to their own preference. The wheel automatically adjusts to choices made by development teams.

B) When a game supports the Force Feedback mode (currently, only GT5), the wheel will calibrate itself when the game starts. Apart from this, there is no other way to set the rotation angle to another value.[/B]

C) Regarding GRAN TURISMO 5, as an official racing wheel, the T500 RS is fully suited to the game's configuration and settings, that way no modification to the rotation angle is needed.

Well at least that's cleared that up :crazy:

If anyone can make sense of that, please let me know. Here's a guess?

a) They are saying the wheel can be set anywhere between 40 and 1080 degrees of rotation, if driver implemented properly

b) Applied in combination with the above? It can be set, but only on game initialization?

c) Really? I guess they mean *except absolute stop, ie the go kart only has 180 practical degrees (despite being able to turn it 1080)?

Maybe ask them a direct question along the lines of:

'Does the SDK give developers the ability to set various degrees of rotation including not allowing the wheel to turn beyond that setting, in game?

Ie Is there a possibly of an update to GT5 (or implementation in any other game) so you could only physically turn the wheel, say 180 degrees for a go-kart, but more for a road car?

If this is currently unavailable, could it be added to the SDK to allow this feature to be implemented on PS3 in the future?'

Also, I'd love to see a video of you drifting (even if it's poor) to see how the wheel spins. :)

Last edited:

a) They are saying the wheel can be set anywhere between 40 and 1080 degrees of rotation, if driver implemented properly

b) Applied in combination with the above? It can be set, but only on game initialization?

c) Really? I guess they mean *except absolute stop, ie the go kart only has 180 practical degrees (despite being able to turn it 1080)?

'Does the SDK give developers the ability to set various degrees of rotation including not allowing the wheel to turn beyond that setting, in game?

Ie Is there a possibly of an update to GT5 (or implementation in any other game) so you could only physically turn the wheel, say 180 degrees for a go-kart, but more for a road car?

If this is currently unavailable, could it be added to the SDK to allow this feature to be implemented on PS3 in the future?'

Also, I'd love to see a video of you drifting (even if it's poor) to see how the wheel spins. :)

The obfuscated language is totally frustrating to read. I don't understand why they can't just reply in plain and clear english, without assertions or presumptions about what the original poster wants to do.

That being said, my interpretation of the last thrustmaster reply posted here is:

- the developer of GT5 or future supported games gets to set the degrees of effective rotation, not you.

- assuming the "MODE BUTTON+L2+L3 combo" works and that this sets the game to emulation mode, you can either play GT5 with the regular FFB mode, where you can't manually adjust the effective steering range, or you can set it to emulation mode, which fixes the effective range to 270 deg, but then you lose the FFB functionality.

I sent them an email a few days ago asking about adjusting the rotational degrees on the PS3 in GT5, but I am still waiting for an answer from them. Luckily some members in this forum could give me an answer before them 👍. I read somewhere on GTPlanet that customer service from Thrustmaster is not the best… So I am not awaiting any response from them to be honest 👎

Oh oh oh, I think Thrustmaster has a great customer service!
I contacted the service now 14 times and every time I got an answer max 24 hours later!
And they are very helpful when you have problems.. I had some more problems.. First wheel was broken at transportation and had to be replaced by the retailer after telling Thrustmaster my problem.. My second wheel now is broken inside.. Little plastic thing moves around when ffb effects are on and when I shake the wheel a little bit.. Contaced the support team yesterday again and got an answer today and wrote them my adress back and now I will get a new wheel - my third one.

So the support team is absolutely fantastic!

I just sent your exact questions to thrustmaster tech support, really good questions by the way :) And for the video, I'm really sorry, but I don't own a camera and the wheel spins very hard. I actually have to be careful not to hurt any of my fingers while trying to handle a wheelspin. But then again, I am just a really bad drifter with the wheel (I got it a week ago, and can only use it on the weekends, maybe an hour in the evenings during the week) I have to put some serious effort and time in it. Also a friend of mine offered me his stand for use with my wheel, which he built on his own a while ago. 👍 He doesn't use it anymore and is more of a 'lazy' racer LOL. I might be a bit better with it when the wobbly table I use atm is being replaced ;)

They are basically saying it's up to the game developer. You can't blame the wheel, really. On the PC, you can install a set of drivers that are completely independant from the PC software you choose to use the wheel with, from whithin this Driver suite, you can modify FFB strenght, rotation degrees, and more.

On the PS3 this isn't possible, so wheel manufacturers leave the degree of rotation up to the game software which determine whether or not 270 degrees will be used, 275, 900 or 1080 since there is no driver intervention whatsoever.

If anything, you could blame GT5 and the PS3 for not supporting T500RS drivers, not Thrustmaster or the wheel itself.

Oh oh oh, I think Thrustmaster has a great customer service!
I contacted the service now 14 times and every time I got an answer max 24 hours later!
And they are very helpful when you have problems.. I had some more problems.. First wheel was broken at transportation and had to be replaced by the retailer after telling Thrustmaster my problem.. My second wheel now is broken inside.. Little plastic thing moves around when ffb effects are on and when I shake the wheel a little bit.. Contaced the support team yesterday again and got an answer today and wrote them my adress back and now I will get a new wheel - my third one.

So the support team is absolutely fantastic!

Yes you're right. I just read somewhere, someone had gotten no answer... I got my answer 24hours later too, even today I asked 3 questions and got 3 answers:tup:. So I am sorry having thought that they have a bad customer service, it is definately not true :dopey:

They are basically saying it's up to the game developer. You can't blame the wheel, really. On the PC, you can install a set of drivers that are completely independant from the PC software you choose to use the wheel with, from whithin this Driver suite, you can modify FFB strenght, rotation degrees, and more.

On the PS3 this isn't possible, so wheel manufacturers leave the degree of rotation up to the game software which determine whether or not 270 degrees will be used, 275, 900 or 1080 since there is no driver intervention whatsoever.

If anything, you could blame GT5 and the PS3 for not supporting T500RS drivers, not Thrustmaster or the wheel itself.

Exactly true

I think communication between sim and wheel should be at max degrees at all times (900, or 1080 in T500 RS case) and then the developer should adjust the steering angle for each car.

I think that's what happens in iRacing.

No one was blaming anyone for anything. I just want them to clarify the situation. I can blame folks if you like? :)

If the sdk allows developers to do this then it is the developers' fault. If it's not, it's Thrustmaster's. If either is true, then it could also change in the future through sdk/firmware/driver/game updates.

No one was blaming anyone for anything. I just want them to clarify the situation. I can blame folks if you like? :)

If the sdk allows developers to do this then it is the developers' fault. If it's not, it's Thrustmaster's. If either is true, then it could also change in the future through sdk/firmware/driver/game updates.

I really hope that in an update people will be able to change those settings, that would make me a very happy person ;)

I just think it is strange that 'non official and cheaper' wheels offer this functionality even though it has none of those options in game and the official 600bucks wheel doesn't. I know the wheel is fantastic and I love to have it, but still...

danvodka
Thanks alot mate for answering:tup:👍, in your opinion, do you think that PD will add such a function in future updates?

I wouldn't count on PD to do anything. It only leads to endless disappointment from them.

ara
I am trying to make sense of this myself, everybody has different ideas of what is "better," we only have vauge and subjective ways to communicate with each other on the forum about the wheel characteristics, but this is just the nature of the beast. We generally don't have the means to say things like "oh the FFB at setting 10 imparts a force of x newtons under this condition" etc.

Some reports are unreliable or incorrect, I have been guilty of this too but I'm doing my best to communicate an accurate picture of what is going on with the wheel and hopefully figure out the reasons why some reports are so different. It's definitely NOT helping when people chime in and frame their words as authoritative when they don't even have this particular wheel.

For example, somebody said there is FFB variation between standard and premium cars? Sounds crazy, but OK i'll bite in the interest of science. I tried the nurburgring with a premium AMG and the standard nuvolari quattro last night, both with Hard Sport tires, and I couldn't tell any difference between FFB characteristics.

I also re-tested both FFB extremes with the above cars and I still do not notice any FFB strength variation when I adjust the "strength" from 1 to 10.

As for whether it's reasonable to consider that these wheels have a "break-in" period, I have no idea.
Tests are being conducted using spring scales.

The force required to initiate a turn of the steering wheel as measured at the wheel rim is 6N when the wheel is power off. 25N+ when the wheel is powered on.

For GT5 the force required to initiate a turn of the steering wheel as measured at the wheel rim in game is the same for all cars, Premium/Standard, on all tyres on all tracks and at all in-game FFB settings - FFB1 through FFB10.

16N to initiate a turn of the steering wheel from a static position on straight flat road.
19N to initiate a turn of the steering wheel from a 50mph rolling position on straight flat road.
6N to initiate a turn of the steering wheel from a static position on grass/runoff.
6N to initiate a turn of the steering wheel from a rolling position on grass/runoff.

Forces generated by the wheel as FFB is applied will be provided as they are collected.

p.s. I don't discuss things anymore, just provide facts and step away.

Tests are on going.

It appears that for GT5 with the T500RS the force imparted by the FFB motor on the wheel, when ingame obstacles such as curbs are encountered, as measured at the wheel rim in game is the same for all cars, Premium/Standard, on all tyres on all tracks and at all in-game FFB settings - FFB1 through FFB10.

25N as the initial force imparted on the wheel when encountering a curb at 50mph.

This force has been seen to spike to 30N when a sequence of FFB events are initiated. It is also possible that the initial force is also 30N but is too short to be easily measured by cheap science lab equipment.

The only difference betwen the Premium X1 and a "standard" 20bhp Fiat 500 would appear to be the number and frequency of the 30N FFB events.

The Fiat 500 experiences 1 and the car slows and you need to speed up to feel the next one - the X1 will repeatedly impart the force on the wheel until you turn away from or run over the curb.

If you stall/stop the car with the wheel wound out to the stop then the recentering force applied as you reset the game appears to a constant 40N.

The wheel would appear to stop when you place a small childs arm in the spokes. No more than a slight bump would be felt.

The ingame centering force always seems to be 30N.

Conclusion to date is that the FFB model used by GT5 is not very complex, but does at least exploit the max torque available from what FFB wheel is used.

Hi guys

I am a new member here and got a question for you.

My Thrustmaster T500 RS will not AUTO CALIBRATE out of sudden today.

It was working fine till monday , where I took my simulator for further modification to fit my T500 better. I took everything off the simulator.

Today my simulator was back from modification and I put on the Wheel and the pedals.

Once I turn on the Thrustmaster, it just could not complete the auto calibration process.

The wheel keeps turning 1080 deg. anticlockwise and the clockwise and it will not stop unless i turn T500 off or unplug the usb.

I tried everything and it's no go :(

Anybody got any idea what is happening ?

EDIT : HERE IS A VIDEO OF THE ERROR
http://cid-a618a574df91512c.photos.live.com/self.aspx/THRUSTMASTER 2/My Movie.wmv

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution here 👍:
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/eng/index.php?pg=view_files&gid=1&fid=2&pid=316&cid=6
http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T500RS/T500RS_Manual_centering_ALL.pdf

CALIBRATING THE WHEEL AND THE WHEEL’S CENTRAL VALUE

If the wheel’s central value is not perfect in games or in the Control Panel:

* FIRMWARE UPDATE
1) Verify that the wheel’s firmware is up-to-date with the very latest version (version 33).
(Once the Force Feedback drivers have been installed, your wheel’s firmware version is displayed in
the upper right-hand corner of the Control Panel tabs.)
2) Update the wheel’s firmware if the version displayed is earlier than version 33.

V33 Firmware Changes:

- PEDALS: Improved Precision

- “MODE” BUTTON: Now necessary to press this button for one second to invert the pedal set position (to avoid unintended inversion during gameplay)

- FLASH MEMORY: Added protection to avoid potential flash corruption

PS: This firmware includes the previous changes = Wheel’s calibration optimization + Wheel’s central value detection optimization

* PROCEDURE TO PERFECTLY CENTER THE WHEEL
1) Once the wheel is connected (and after the wheel has calibrated itself), turn the wheel completely to the left and then completely to the right.
2) Next, move the wheel to its perfectly centered position.
3) Simultaneously press and then release the “START + SELECT + MODE” buttons.
4) The wheel’s new central value is automatically and permanently saved in the wheel’s internal Flash memory
(note: do not repeat this procedure each time you reconnect the wheel).
IMPORTANT: Be sure not to not use this procedure too often, since there are a limited number of times that changes can be written to the wheel’s internal Flash memory.
= This procedure must be used only to modify the factory setting of the wheel’s central value.

Hi GainSym

This will not work at all , because the wheel never stops itself?

The V33 update was done before and the Thrustmaster was running OK !!!

Suddenly yesterday , it started to NOT TO auto Calibrate , I can not get passed the Auto Calibration process !!!! The wheel keeps on Turning and turning and turning.

Until it stops, I can not do anything else, I have also tried a firmware update, the wheel stops while the firmware update , when the update is finished starts to rotate never endingly again...

hi,

mine do calibrate, but in a different way then before.
it rotates all the way to left ,then right and it remain that position for 1 or 2 secends.
After that time it goes to the center.
This way of calibration is not like i was used to with v31 and v32.
Now when i stop playing and turning the ps3 off with the steering wheel it will recalibrate it self endlessly without returning to the center.
Im in contact with thrustmaster already and hope they will answer soon.

bryan

hi,

mine do calibrate, but in a different way then before.
it rotates all the way to left ,then right and it remain that position for 1 or 2 secends.
After that time it goes to the center.
This way of calibration is not like i was used to with v31 and v32.
Now when i stop playing and turning the ps3 off with the steering wheel it will recalibrate it self endlessly without returning to the center.
Im in contact with thrustmaster already and hope they will answer soon.

bryan

When I bought my Thrustmaster T500RS on Feb 03 , I immediately upgraded to V33 .

On my V33 , the auto calibration worked like , 1 full Anticlockwise , 1 full clockwise and then stop at the center middle.

But since yesterday , it will turn and turn and turn , when I turn on the Thrustmaster ....... However when I turn off the PS3 with the Thrustmaster , I never get that error like yours...

Both our problems are pretty strange !!!

Here's the reply from Thrustmaster to your questions:

We confirm that the SDK gives developers the possibility to set different degrees of rotation including not allowing the wheel to turn beyond that setting.

Regarding the possibility to physically turn the wheel (your second question), yes this may be possible too (technically speaking) and this must be discussed also with the publishers of the games.

This feature is possible as the implementation was already made in SDK (answering your last question).

Here's the reply from Thrustmaster to your questions:

We confirm that the SDK gives developers the possibility to set different degrees of rotation including not allowing the wheel to turn beyond that setting.

Regarding the possibility to physically turn the wheel (your second question), yes this may be possible too (technically speaking) and this must be discussed also with the publishers of the games.

This feature is possible as the implementation was already made in SDK (answering your last question).

Well that's definitive. It's down to PD to implement in GT. Here's hoping for a patch, Kaz?

I imagine this functionality will come to PC titles first.

The only reason a vendor rushes firmware updates to market is to fix past bugs. /me predicts a v34 update pretty soon to address all the dying T500's.

If hardware is 100% functional, only fools rushes headlong into firmware updates.

Do not fix what aint broke.

The only reason a vendor rushes firmware updates to market is to fix past bugs. /me predicts a v34 update pretty soon to address all the dying T500's.

If hardware is 100% functional, only fools rushes headlong into firmware updates.

Do not fix what aint broke.

My T500 stated in the box the version was 32. Thrustmaster said to upgrade before using it. So is that being a fool?

My T500 stated in the box the version was 32. Thrustmaster said to upgrade before using it. So is that being a fool?

In short - yes.

You upgraded something without first seeing if their was a performance deficiency.

Anyway - /me is out of here before tryign to bring common sense to a hardware topic causes chaos.

Latest Posts

Back