The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by TomN, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Racetee

Racetee

Physically there are, but they have no effect on PS4.

2. Leggacy

Leggacy

Last night a little bit of magic smoke escaped from my T500rs and I could smell burning. It’s still works but I need to check it out. Has anyone experienced something similar? Is it fixable?

3. asteroulis

asteroulis

Well if it still works then you are lucky . It could be anything, so there's nothing we could advise you here or tell what kind of smoke it was. It could be from dust that collected and burned , or a part that will show it's role under stress.
    You could stress test the wheel with wheelcheck and a loop test to see how it behaves. It would also be a good idea to open and clean out the dust.

Leggacy likes this.
  4. Leggacy

Leggacy

It doesn’t look easy to take apart but I am considering it. I will give it a test when I get home today and see if it’s still ok.

5. asteroulis

asteroulis

Yes indeed it's not the most easy base to dismantle but there are tutorials online to help you out.

6. Whodoyouthink

Whodoyouthink

Take a look at some of my posts about 2 pages back. In my experience, it must have been a combination of dust burning off and one or both of the belts disintegrating from possible overheating. It would make sense for the rubber pieces to be a cause of the burning smell. Since I replaced my belts and upgraded my fan, I have not dealt with the same burning smell issue.

Could also have been an electrical short from some wiring, or maybe glue burning off. As already said, it could potentially be a lot of things, without seeing the condition of the wheel. But in my experience it was most likely the aging rubber belts.

asteroulis and Leggacy like this.
  7. ibbi

ibbi

IMG_20201206_183445.jpg Hello. This is my first post here. I got a used Thrustmaster T500RS (V2) a few weeks ago. I opened it up today, just to discover lots of cut/broken rubber and plastic pieces inside. (It works completely fine though.) On digging in deeper, I discovered the covering for a bunch of wires in the middle coming off. It seems like it is the PS/2 cable that connects the buttons on the rim to the main PCB. What should I do about this? IMG_20201206_182258.jpg IMG_20201206_182319.jpg IMG_20201206_182334.jpg IMG_20201206_182417.jpg IMG_20201206_182441.jpg IMG_20201206_182613.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020