7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

A disappointing race for me ,but good considering it was the first time touching my PS3 in a month.

Suzuka has always been a track i've found hard to find the limit at, so I spent a lot of qualifying in the dirt, even puncturing a set of tyres. My second set of tyres gave me a time, after about 3 tries finally getting a clean lap in, that put me 4th. I then decided to try again, to see if I could go get 3rd, but this lap, though getting me half a second in the first 2 sectors, losing it all in sector 3, was still a scruffy lap and so I failed to move up. Not only that, my tyres weren't in very good shape, 88% after qualifying

Start of the race, I managed to get up to 3rd after Baumi ran wide, and fortunately stuck there, until running off at the Dunlop curve, losing 3rd to Ken. A lap or so later, and I was back ahead, and things were going well until a Pirelli-esque dropoff in tyre performance meant Baumi came and went, and I was missing apexes and going off all over. Pit rather early, and put the primes on, which had slightly more grip at first, but I soon found myself having trouble with getting the car pointed yet again, so my hopes of 3rd dried up. A few more off later and Ken and Paul got past, both having a great battle. I caught back up fairly quickly and thanks to them both making mistakes, I was back into 4th. Drove it home to finish.

Up next is Korea, another track i've struggled on, in fact even more than Suzuka, surely the least run on track for me in this game. Will have to get a lot of practice in to be able to challenge Baumi, Internet_User and Ardius in the race.

Any room for a reserve driver? :) I know I let you down the last time but GT5 has taken a back seat this last week as I've been getting back into this game, must due to the excitement of of F12011 being not to far away :lol:

Anyway, I'd like to have a good race with you guys if there's room? :)

G27 is the dogs guys, available for a practice now if anyone is around?

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 16 - Japan

16japanencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry qualifying and race.

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:30.522 (10 pts)

2nd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:30.989 (8 pts)

3rd. - Baumi27 (Brawn) - 1:32.295 (6 pts)

4th. - pj-gm (Brabham)- 1:34.320 (5 pts)

5th. - Paulzx (Benetton)- 1:35.193 +5 place pen (4 pts)

6th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:35.394 (3 pts)

7th. - DonkeyFuzz (Hesketh)- 1:35.691 (2 pts)

8th. - AliT12 (Brabham)- 1:36.127 (1 pts)

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) = 42m28.945s
2nd. DarkPSI (Benetton) (18 pts) + 27.9s
3rd. Baumi27 (Brawn) (15 pts) + 58.2s
4th. pj-gm (Brabham) (12 pts) + 1 lap
5th. Paulzx (Benetton) (10 pts) + 1 lap
6th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. AliT12 (Brabham) (6 pts) + 2 laps
8th. DonkeyFuzz (Hesketh) (0 pts) DNF

Qualifying:

During practice I discovered how important set-up is at Suzuka. Using my baseline set-up, the best I could manage was a 1:31.9 during the week. However, by sacrificing quite a lot of straight line speed for cornering performance I was able to find almost a whole second - your lap time really is dependent upon how much speed you can carry through the esses. Once I'd nailed the first sector down with the set-up, my lap times really improved.

My first lap in qualifying was a 1:30.8 which surprised me as it felt like quite a cautious effort, so I knew there was plenty more time in there. On my second lap I was much more aggressive through the first sector, to the extent that I had an oversteer moment halfway through the long Dunlop curve and had to back out of the throttle momentarily to correct the slide, but yet still was 2 tenths up on before. The 2nd sector felt great as well and I was half a second up - then being careful not to throw it away I took the final chicane a little easy and the lap ended up as just a 3 tenth improvement of 1:30.5 but still a PB and a time I was very happy with.

On my final lap I went wide at the second Degner curve but DarkPSI failed to improve on his final lap as well so my pole position was safe.

Race:

I got away well at the start but almost lost the lead coming out of turn 1 when I went a little deep. As always, I tried to be careful with the throttle on the first lap before stretching my legs (nothing worse than making a silly spin on the first lap) and I found I was able to steadily drop DarkPSI (particularly in the first sector), in a way I haven't found possible since the first races of the season before he found a chunk of lap time - my set-up was working a treat.

The gap before I pitted on lap 11, I was around 10 seconds ahead of Dark. Unfortunately I missed my braking point slightly and ran into the front jackman which lost me 4-5 seconds so I would have to rebuild the lead as Dark didn't make any mistakes at his pitstop. When I came out of the pits I was a couple of seconds behind Baumi27 who was running very long on his options. With the fresh primes on though, the car felt massively quick and by the time I was entering the Dunlop curve i'd already caught up to the back of him, such was the speed differential between his worn tyres and my fresh ones. I took more speed into Degner 1 which set up an inside pass into Degner 2 and I was back in the lead.

I had no more trouble till the second last lap where I spun onto the main straight and lost about 5 seconds though thankfully it didn't cost me.

And with this result the championship is over in terms of prizes as the drivers' and teams' championships are decided. Thanks to all for taking part, it's been a blast but there's still 3 races left and I hope everyone is still up for them. See you all next Sunday for Korea.

Race Footage
Courtesy of kcheeb:

kcheeb's race:

Suzuka Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ab5K9Un3RA
Suzuka Race 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otDHzTDd_Yg
Suzuka Race2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VTMXKYi8E

And here are the tables:

The Championship Tables (As of round 16):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 491 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 356 pts
3rd. Pipeslice - 277 pts
4th. Baumi27 - 274 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 196 pts
6th. Ardius - 106 pts
7th. kcheeb - 96 pts
8th. Tombrooks97 - 68 pts
9th. AliT12 - 57 pts
10th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 44 pts
11th. pj-gm - 43 pts
12th. Upuaut - 36 pts
13th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
14th. DOUQA - 19 pts
15th. Paulzx - 14 pts
16th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
17th. Shark33 - 3 pts
18th. Manios22DC - 2 pts
19th. jordy7777 - 2 pts
20th. DonkeyFuzz - 2 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 687 pts - Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20
2nd. Benetton - 414 pts - DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan, Paulzx
3rd. Brawn - 382 pts - Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius
4th. Jordan - 360 pts - Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33
5th. Hesketh - 153 pts - kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777, DonkeyFuzz
6th. Brabham - 136 pts - Upuaut, AliT12, pj-gm

The cars are set to equal performance for the race, which I believe is the Red Bull, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

No problem, that'd be good, another car on the grid 👍 I'm still trying for that one, seems when I do well, the teammate doesn't and if they do well, let's just say I have a sub-standard performance :sly:

Attacking is where I'm losing a lot of time, need to accelerate earlier, right Shaggy? It'll come with time and confidence.

I used to just use the Quick setups, and typically the fastest one. I've since learned that car setup can make a huge difference in times. I'm not doing this on my own, not enough experience with all the settings, I'm using some I found on another site, if they make me faster of course :)

I checked and it is Red Bull. Would be fun to race against you guys, looked competitive the race for you in the video you uploaded. Attacking without running wide is the key. I played on the Suzuka circuit in GP Mode and the hairpin is so hard to do right, I think that track just shows all the weaknesses of the physics in the game to be honest. I was way off the pace of Shaggy's pole time in GP mode which worries me as I was also driving a McLaren.

I used to use quick setups before getting competitive in time trialling in the other championship. I use setups on another site, maybe the same one as you (RD). Gives better confidence then as you know you are letting the car down, not the setup :sly: so you don't waste time tweaking it and more on the track.

G27 is the dogs guys, available for a practice now if anyone is around?
Is it a lot quieter than the DFGT and is the centre tighter in steering. I might get this wheel as I was thinking to get that expensive new Fanatec but thought it would be too expensive to let others use ;) so might upgrade to G27 just for noise reasons and it being really cheap and good value for money for what it is.

Congrats on your 3rd World Championship Shaggy!

Thanks Tom :)

I've had a really good run of results lately but this can never last. Pipeslice and Dark are too fast for me to keep winning.

I checked and it is Red Bull. Would be fun to race against you guys, looked competitive the race for you in the video you uploaded. Attacking without running wide is the key. I played on the Suzuka circuit in GP Mode and the hairpin is so hard to do right, I think that track just shows all the weaknesses of the physics in the game to be honest. I was way off the pace of Shaggy's pole time in GP mode which worries me as I was also driving a McLaren.

I used to use quick setups before getting competitive in time trialling in the other championship. I use setups on another site, maybe the same one as you (RD). Gives better confidence then as you know you are letting the car down, not the setup :sly: so you don't waste time tweaking it and more on the track.

Don't worry, you'll get there. The handling is a bit different with fuel and tyre sim and you can't throw the car into corners in quite the same way as you said before, plus the set up you use needs to be more about confidence and consistency rather than ultimate 1 lap pace. Plus it's worth saying the online cars are roughly half a second a lap quicker in qualifying than the Red Bull in GP mode, even if they feel very similar, so you're probably already more competitive than you think.

Are you able to make the race this sunday Saidur? Or is it just the last two you said you could make?

Thanks Tom :)

I've had a really good run of results lately but this can never last. Pipeslice and Dark are too fast for me to keep winning.

Don't worry, you'll get there. The handling is a bit different with fuel and tyre sim and you can't throw the car into corners in quite the same way as you said before, plus the set up you use needs to be more about confidence and consistency rather than ultimate 1 lap pace. Plus it's worth saying the online cars are roughly half a second a lap quicker in qualifying than the Red Bull in GP mode, even if they feel very similar, so you're probably already more competitive than you think.

Are you able to make the race this sunday Saidur? Or is it just the last two you said you could make?

I only did a quick session, just a quick setup and 3 lap race in GP mode. I think I was close to Baumi27 qualifying pace but that still is along way from you and Dark last race. Do you do some practice before the GPs to be on it all the time? I'm driving on 30% Force Feedback, works fine with aids on but maybe is not the ideal set-up with everything off :sly:.

Does the short-weekend in career mode have fuel simulation? I did my fastest lap on primes so I think it should have. Still felt I could chuck it about in Melbourne and I was using the setup I used for time trialling in the F1 MTC.

I can't race on Sunday, mainly because of the time. It is time to eat for me, Ramadan you see, but that ends at the end of the month so will be able to race from then onwards.

Can you give me a rough idea how much faster are you than the AI in qualfying in GP mode and also race lap for lap? Need something high to aim for so I can try and race you at least. Could be the Race of Champions, winner of the F1 MTC vs winner of 7th GTP WDC? I need to become nearly as fast as you without assists though, otherwise it would be a whitewash and I guess many others will beat me. I know pipeslice is also very fast without assists and Dark. Lewis would have been more better representing of the F1 MTC as he drove without TC so theoretically he would be much more competitive. Hopefully I will get to the same level of confidence as with assists as then my times will go down a lot.

Congrats Shaggy, well deserved. You're one of the fastest and most consistent!

It would be good to have more people on the grid, heart rate rises 👍

As to the game, for me it's a game and it needs to do a couple of things. Entertain me, check. Immerse me, check.

Having never driven an F1 car, I don't know how the physics compare. But, I do know when I get on the throttle too soon, take a corner too fast or at the wrong angle of attack, the car oversteers, understeers or spins.

Same site I got the setups I was trying from. My confidence is getting better and I'm more than happy with the progress I've made this season. It was daunting, learning circuits and learning how to drive. I'm really looking forward to next season and hopefully making the same level of progress :)

Hi Shaggy,

congrats to the championship title. You are the benchmark in this season and perhaps even in this game. Since you have started to setup your car, I had no chance anymore. Also you were able to compensate setup disadvantages with your driving skills in earlier part of this season.

my Background:

1992 Grand Prix 1 on Amiga 500+
👍
1996 Grand Prix 2 on PC with Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel
(Won the D2 Mannesmann Grand Prix 2 Contest as fastest Driver in Germany in 1998 as an 14years old guy, my addiction was born ;-) )
👍
Grand Prix 3
Grand Prix 4
rFactor

So beating me is glorios LOL

Best regards

DarkPSI

Last edited:
I only did a quick session, just a quick setup and 3 lap race in GP mode. I think I was close to Baumi27 qualifying pace but that still is along way from you and Dark last race. Do you do some practice before the GPs to be on it all the time? I'm driving on 30% Force Feedback, works fine with aids on but maybe is not the ideal set-up with everything off :sly:.

Does the short-weekend in career mode have fuel simulation? I did my fastest lap on primes so I think it should have. Still felt I could chuck it about in Melbourne and I was using the setup I used for time trialling in the F1 MTC.

I can't race on Sunday, mainly because of the time. It is time to eat for me, Ramadan you see, but that ends at the end of the month so will be able to race from then onwards.

Can you give me a rough idea how much faster are you than the AI in qualfying in GP mode and also race lap for lap? Need something high to aim for so I can try and race you at least. Could be the Race of Champions, winner of the F1 MTC vs winner of 7th GTP WDC? I need to become nearly as fast as you without assists though, otherwise it would be a whitewash and I guess many others will beat me. I know pipeslice is also very fast without assists and Dark. Lewis would have been more better representing of the F1 MTC as he drove without TC so theoretically he would be much more competitive. Hopefully I will get to the same level of confidence as with assists as then my times will go down a lot.

Hey Saidur. The GP weekend only has tyre or fuel sim if you've got it switched on. And yes most of us tend to practice before each race. If you don't you'll most likely find yourself off the pace. It all depends against the AI, sometimes i'm as much as 4 seconds faster in qualifying, sometimes as little as 1 second. It varies. Haha, a race of champions sounds like a cool idea. If you're up for organising something like this then I'd hope to be able to participate.

Hi Shaggy,

congrats to the championship title. You are the benchmark in this season and perhaps even in this game. Since you have started to setup your car, I had no chance anymore. Also you were able to compensate setup disadvantages with your driving skills in earlier part of this season.

my Background:

1992 Grand Prix 1 on Amiga 500+
👍
1996 Grand Prix 2 on PC with Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel
(Won the D2 Mannesmann Grand Prix 2 Contest as fastest Driver in Germany in 1998 as an 14years old guy, my addiction was born ;-) )
👍
Grand Prix 3
Grand Prix 4
rFactor

So beating me is glorios LOL

Best regards

DarkPSI

Wow Dark, that's some generous praise. Honestly this championship could have gone any which way, since midway through the season your pace has been very hard to match, showing us all the way at Hockenheim. It's great the way you, Pipeslice and I are slugging it out for the race wins every week - it really motivates me to try harder knowing i've got such formidable competition.

Hey Lads, not sure I can make it this Sunday, probably for the best really as Korea isn't my best track and all I would end up doing is getting in your way...

Hey Lads, not sure I can make it this Sunday, probably for the best really as Korea isn't my best track and all I would end up doing is getting in your way...

That's disappointing, get that shiny new G27 out and mastered ;)

Congratulations Shaggy 👍 Been driving great all season, as have all you front runners 👍

I just realised I might not be able to make sundays race as Im on call and I may be going to a friends party. If I don't go and am on call I may have to suddenly stop racing halfway through anyway :guilty:

Wow, another title? Great job man :cheers:

Now why not skip the last 3 races so someone else has a chance to win, huh? :lol:

Brabham can still claw back from last in the WCC, and kcheeb isn't too far off either :mischievous:

Congrats Shaggy, well deserved. You're one of the fastest and most consistent!

It would be good to have more people on the grid, heart rate rises 👍

As to the game, for me it's a game and it needs to do a couple of things. Entertain me, check. Immerse me, check.

Having never driven an F1 car, I don't know how the physics compare. But, I do know when I get on the throttle too soon, take a corner too fast or at the wrong angle of attack, the car oversteers, understeers or spins.

Same site I got the setups I was trying from. My confidence is getting better and I'm more than happy with the progress I've made this season. It was daunting, learning circuits and learning how to drive. I'm really looking forward to next season and hopefully making the same level of progress :)
Games can still be fun and entertaining without having the best physics so I agree with you about what games need to do 👍. I only had a few races online and they were fun even if there are some rammers online.

I generally look for the same behaviour as I seen in onboards and really F1 2010 has got a different style of driving compared to PC sims which are very close to reality but it is the first of the series made by the development team and they should be able to improve rapidly like we have seen for F1 2011.

Learning tracks usually take me a few laps for me but for competitive reasons probably at least 20 to be able to get it close to say the top leaderboard times. What is so daunting for me is how people are so fast especially through the corners when you are also going through flat with just a downshift and people are still pulling away.

Hey Saidur. The GP weekend only has tyre or fuel sim if you've got it switched on. And yes most of us tend to practice before each race. If you don't you'll most likely find yourself off the pace. It all depends against the AI, sometimes i'm as much as 4 seconds faster in qualifying, sometimes as little as 1 second. It varies. Haha, a race of champions sounds like a cool idea. If you're up for organising something like this then I'd hope to be able to participate.

Wow Dark, that's some generous praise. Honestly this championship could have gone any which way, since midway through the season your pace has been very hard to match, showing us all the way at Hockenheim. It's great the way you, Pipeslice and I are slugging it out for the race wins every week - it really motivates me to try harder knowing i've got such formidable competition.

Hi Shaggy, I will now be only to make the last race due to being in a fortunate position to go to Mercedes-Benz World and also meet David Coulthard hopefully.

I definately will practice, I had a run yesterday on time trialling in Spa and you and pipeslice are very fast. It is hard to keep up with no assists, I can only stay ahead for the first few corners but then you just pull a lot time out in the middle part of the lap making you nearly a full second quicker in total. I did not really learn the limit in the corners as I know you take it flat in some parts where I don't though.

The Race of Champions could be the final race of this championship. I will try to avoid humilation though but I think it would hard to stop it from happening. I think you are a good 1 second a lap quicker than me with no assists and you have more experience so I need to have a eureka moment in the game to get the confidence to be as fast as you or as fast as I am with assists at least.

Anyway I will become a driver trainer for GT5 this week and next. Should be an interesting GP at Spa this weekend and for the people participating in the Korea race, good luck. Can anyone end Shaggy's dominance? It is a better run than Vettel by a long way :sly:.

Games can still be fun and entertaining without having the best physics so I agree with you about what games need to do 👍. I only had a few races online and they were fun even if there are some rammers online.

I've had a couple of run ins with that style of driver. I stay away from random races now. Pity, as you can run into some really cool people.

I generally look for the same behaviour as I seen in onboards and really F1 2010 has got a different style of driving compared to PC sims which are very close to reality but it is the first of the series made by the development team and they should be able to improve rapidly like we have seen for F1 2011.

I've not driven any of the PC sims, hard for me to comment, but I hear what you're saying. I think Codemasters has to balance the level of reality (difficulty) to make a game that a lot of people can play (buy).

Learning tracks usually take me a few laps for me but for competitive reasons probably at least 20 to be able to get it close to say the top leaderboard times. What is so daunting for me is how people are so fast especially through the corners when you are also going through flat with just a downshift and people are still pulling away.

When I said learning tracks, I meant, never seen before I got the game :scared: Now, with the tracks that I've driven and spent some time on, it takes me an hour or so to get back up to speed.

Hi Shaggy, I will now be only to make the last race due to being in a fortunate position to go to Mercedes-Benz World and also meet David Coulthard hopefully.

Enjoy!

I've had a couple of run ins with that style of driver. I stay away from random races now. Pity, as you can run into some really cool people.

I've not driven any of the PC sims, hard for me to comment, but I hear what you're saying. I think Codemasters has to balance the level of reality (difficulty) to make a game that a lot of people can play (buy).

When I said learning tracks, I meant, never seen before I got the game :scared: Now, with the tracks that I've driven and spent some time on, it takes me an hour or so to get back up to speed.

Enjoy!

The rammers are in every game. I see it as a fun challenge to avoid them :sly:.

The first review of F1 2011 said it was "unforgiving and newbie-unfriendly", music to my ears 👍.

I find that it generally takes me a few laps to learn a new track reasonably well. What I usually do is watch a fast lap on YouTube, then try the track, then go back to YouTube and understand better how to go as fast if not faster. This is a bit of a rubbish example but yesterday I did Spa time trial first time in the game and took me a few laps to get within a second of Shaggy's fastest time. Did not get into the rhythm of the track that well though, that usually takes a lot more than 20 laps to feel like you are nailing all the corners on the ragged edge.

I will do although a bit gutted I can't compete in it, otherwise I could have had a good chance to win some tickets to the Brazilian GP this year unless they randomly picked all the fastest GT5 players in the UK. I want to try out them racing pods so hopefully they allow guests to try them out and it will be amazing if they have the T500RS to try out. I want to feel the difference between the DFGT I use and a high end wheel.

The rammers are in every game. I see it as a fun challenge to avoid them :sly:.

Hadn't thought of it that way, perhaps doing some more online races is in order. I do need to challenge myself!

The first review of F1 2011 said it was "unforgiving and newbie-unfriendly", music to my ears 👍.

lol, I saw that, hopefully I can keep it on the track :)

Hadn't thought of it that way, perhaps doing some more online races is in order. I do need to challenge myself!

lol, I saw that, hopefully I can keep it on the track :)

You can get fed up, but you should be able to get some clean and also ramming races. Overtaking a rammer is hard if he is reasonably fast as I found out once.

My favourite new feature is the Time Attack mode, would be good to know how fast / slow I am compared to the top people in the same conditions, car and setup. It is a pure time trial mode compared to what we have now which is like real F1.

Shaggy and I did a lot of racing, all up to when he had to get his girlfriend :lol: I feel pretty good for Korea now.

Sorry guys for having to worry about me. I was in the middle of a 60 lap race so couldn't join the room or respond to your messages.

Wow, fun race tonight. Thanks to DarkPSI and Pipeslice for such a great battle. I'd like to hear Pipeslice's opinion on whether the penalty I got was warranted. I'll explain what happened - I got a run on Pipe through the long right hander at the very end of the lap and was on the inside of him. We were side by side but the nature of the corner meant that we kind of merged into each other, we were overlapping but since he was a metre or so ahead this gave him a big sideways moment which meant we rubbed up against each other, which the game always interprets as a penalty for the car behind (try it in grand prix mode, if you smash into a car and take it out you might not get a penalty, but if you rub up against its gearbox for about a half a second or more you get a penalty every time very unfairly). In any case, no damage was done and we both carried on in the same order, and it meant I dropped off of him by about a second or so.

Wow, fun race tonight. Thanks to DarkPSI and Pipeslice for such a great battle. I'd like to hear Pipeslice's opinion on whether the penalty I got was warranted. I'll explain what happened - I got a run on Pipe through the long right hander at the very end of the lap and was on the inside of him. We were side by side but the nature of the corner meant that we kind of merged into each other, we were overlapping but since he was a metre or so ahead this gave him a big sideways moment which meant we rubbed up against each other, which the game always interprets as a penalty for the car behind (try it in grand prix mode, if you smash into a car and take it out you might not get a penalty, but if you rub up against its gearbox for about a half a second or more you get a penalty every time very unfairly). In any case, no damage was done and we both carried on in the same order, and it meant I dropped off of him by about a second or so.

well shaggy you were putting me under quite abit of pressure and I was making small errors and I did NT get out of that corner aswell as you did there and I saw you gain on me ,I pressed the triangle button and it showed you just behind so I took the corner as I would normally when I was back to the front view I could NT see your car at all on my screen so I assumed you were just behind and that's when you tagged me.i don't see why you should get a penalty I got a poor exit and you went for the opening I would have done the same.im not worried but im getting really annoyed about losing connection I was chasing darkpsi down and I was right behind him on the straight when it happened .i never get connection issues with any other game,so I ain't sure wether its this game or some ones Nat settings on their modem.it was very enjoyable while it lasted between the 3 of us the pressure you had me under was definitely causing me to make mistakes I managed to settle down later after the pit stop,and I think staying out for 1 more lap has its advantages you were able to jumped me and dark which I was pretty shocked about,even if you managed to do a very good single lap to gain that much still puzzles me.

Race Report:

Happy with qualifying, bettered my pb by an inch, if I could only figure out how to drive sector 2!

Surprisingly nothing of note in turn 1, seems it was to happen in turn 3. I thought I braked early enough
into 3 to not cause any problems, but I managed to bump Pipeslice, still going a little too fast to make the
corner from the inside. I waited and let him past, back to my usual spot.

For the first 4 or 5 laps I was able to keep Internet_User, PJ_GM and Ardius on screen. More due to
mistakes than my brilliant driving! Ardius pitted on lap 8 and I was up to P7, on a move ;) On lap 9
PJ obliterated the DHL sign and I was ready for another move, but with tires going off and a lack of
courage I wasn't able to keep him in sight. Had a decent pit stop, 3.9 seconds and back on track in seventh.

On lap 11 PJ was having some issues and I caught him up with Ardius hot on my heels. PJ spun again
a couple of corners later and I thought I could sneak up the inside, but couldn't complete the move and
sadly spun him when he turned in. This allowed Ardius through and I was obliged to give PJ the position back.

From there I was pretty much driving on my own til lap 25, when I caught PJ up again. He went wide into
turn 4 and I managed to get past. Then I made mistakes in the last couple of corners and PJ was past again.
On our last lap, 27, PJ went wide through turn 1 and in my wisdom I thought it would be best to follow him :(
Slight bump but PJ got away cleanly and I was frustrated with myself for missing that opportunity. The rest
of the lap was just get it to the house and when the standing board was posted, PJ had a 10 second penalty
which meant I was 6th, delighted with the position, if not how I got it.

A funner race then I expected it to be, but boy I need to figure out how to get myself to go faster. 6
seconds between pole and my best qualifying effort, sigh.

Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3SQjfgAPk8
Race 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWhmsC2B6_w
Race 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPErO7KzCU

Last edited:
Race was pretty boring from my perspective. Missed quali due to my flatmates downloading ****. I pretty annoyed about this because I had planned on just fuelling up and getting the know the track a bit more. Played the game once in 3 weeks (Singapore) and hadn't drived this track in forever. Half an hour before the race familiarised myself with the track again but it wasn't enough to get semi-reasonably laps in so the lack qualifying really hurt me.

Started in 5th and took it pretty conservatively into the first bunch of corners -managed to escape any collisions. After a few laps I found myself chasing Ardius and PJ who were 6th and 5th. I got the gap down to a second and a half at one point but wasn't really doing good laps, was mostly just capitalising on mistakes made by the guys ahead of me. PJ was having problems keeping it on the circuit, especially at turn 2 which is where I managed to overtake him after he went wide. Around this time he punted me at the turn 3 hairpin when I braked slightly early and it didn't seem like he was going to wait! Luckily he spun it pretty soon afterwards and that was basically it racing wise for me.

During the last 5-6 laps I was finally able to start gaining on Baumi but it was too little too late by that point.

If you don't practice this game, you don't stand a chance.

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 17 - Korea

17koreaencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry qualifying with light drizzle at the end, dry race

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:36.626 (10 pts)

2nd. - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:36.627 (8 pts)

3rd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:36.679 (6 pts)

4th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:38.159 (5 pts)

5th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:40.594 (4 pts)

6th. - Pj-gm (Brabham)- 1:41.323 (3 pts)

7th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:42.087 (2 pts)

8th. - Mutu20 (Tyrrell)- No time set (0 pts)

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) = 47m02.469s
2nd. DarkPSI (Benetton) (18 pts) + 6.1s
3rd. Baumi27 (Brawn) (15 pts) + 98.6s
4th. Mutu20 (Tyrrell) (12 pts) + 1 lap
5th. Ardius (Brawn) (10 pts) + 1 lap
6th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. pj-gm (Brabham) (6 pts) + 1 lap (+ 10 sec pen)
8th. Pipeslice (Jordan) (4 pts) DNF

Qualifying:

For my set-up i'd anticipated running quite a low-downforce configuration because of the long straights of the first sector (the second straight is the longest on the whole F1 calender) but in the end I went down the route Red Bull took last year in taking a hit in the first sector knowing that the real lap time is made up in the rest of it - particularly the final sector where IMO the driver can't make so much of a difference and is limited by how much speed the car will allow you to carry through the corner.

My first run was a poor effort of 1:38 flat, after almost dropping the car in turn one and then losing all that speed down the mammoth straight. My second lap never happened because of another mistake, this time on the exit of turn 3 so I just headed back to the pits to fill up for a final consecutive 2 lap run (which compromises your ultimate speed with 2 laps worth of fuel and 2 laps worth of wear). In between this DarkPSI and Pipeslice were setting very competitive times vying for pole position, Pipeslice doing a 1:37 flat, shortly answered by a 1:36.9 by Dark. Dark quickly followed this up with a brilliant 1:36.6 on the second of his 2 lap run. However, Pipeslice went yet faster on his second run by a mere 5 hundredths. These 5 hundredths would soon seem like a big gap given what was about to come next.

My final 2 lap run started off well enough, 3 tenths down on Pipe and Dark in the first sector (this was expected and my previous lap despite a rubbish first sector actually had the purple middle sector so I knew I would claw back some time). I held it together for the remainder of the lap and went a full one thousandth of a second faster than Pipeslice. I was ready to push as hard as I could for the next lap but I was actually marginally slower in the first sector before making a mistake on the exit of turn 10 and my last chance of an improvement was gone. Remarkably, my time held on for pole though. At the end of that lap I stayed left for the shortest route to the finishing line and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the difference between Pipe's lap and mine.

Race:

Both pj-gm and Mutu20 got d/c so we decided to restart the race with a random grid order:

Pole. DarkPSI
2nd. Baumi27
3rd. Shaggy Alonso
4th. pj-gm
5th. Mutu20
6th. Ardius
7th. kcheeb
8th. Pipeslice

With the 0% chance of rain I decided to start on the options and hopefully avoid any trouble off the line. I got a good start and took it easy round the outside of turn one where Dark had gone deep, as he was coming back onto the track I had to back out of the throttle slightly which hurt my momentum onto the main straight and put me back into the pack slightly. Baumi27 profitted and went into the lead. I was in 4th as PJ sneaked past and Pipeslice had made his way up to 5th directly behind me on the long drag to turn 3. As I took an inside line for turn 3 Ardius who had just crept up to 5th seemed to be lagging in and out badly and swiped into the side of me most likely because of this lag. This gave me a big moment which can be seen at 1min34secs in kcheebs race video which resulted in me having to straighten the car and go straight on into the side of pj-gm which we were lucky not to sustain any damage from. This put me back to 7th with only kcheeb now behind me. I was able to get past my team mate Mutu20 then pj-gm around the outside of turn 5 when they both went deep battling each other and lost momentum. This put me on the back of Ardius when I got a good exit out of turn 6. It was hard staying right with him in his dirty air through the sweeping 7&8 section but I was able to carry good speed through the fast left hander of 9 and made it past here.

Meanwhile Dark had made it back past Baumi into the lead and Pipeslice sat 3rd with me now in 4th. Dark had built about a 5 second lead on Pipeslice and I while we were both tracking Baumi. When Baumi made a mistake it released both of us and we started slowly catching Dark, whilst at the same time racing each other. I tended to be slower by a couple of tenths in the first sector but I had a lot more confidence through the long double apex turn 11 which allowed me on one particular lap to gain heavily on Pipeslice and put him under pressure. He had to go defensive into turn 15 allowing me a better exit so I tried to capitalise by going faster through 16 which put us beside each other and we made light contact giving him a big sideways moment which he did a good job to collect. This gave Dark some breathing space as we probably cost ourselves a couple of seconds. Towards the end of this first stint Pipe caught up on Dark and they both pitted on lap 9 so I stayed out another lap as my tyres weren't finished yet. I had to remind myself that this in-lap could be very important so I pretended it was qualifying and just went for it - I was 2 tenths up on the first sector but then agonisingly lost several tenths with a sideways moment when I rode the kerb too hard on the second apex of turn 11, trying to set up a better line through 12. I thought this might have cost me the chance to leapfrog the leaders, but after a 3.8 second pit-stop I actually emerged ahead of them both miraculously by about a full second! I put this down to my pit lane entry where I flew in and probably gained the time there rather than any special lap of mine.

Baumi27 stayed out like he did in Suzuka on worn options so I caught him up and did a pass on the inside into turn 15 putting me back in the lead, although he then pitted immediately, releasing DarkPSI and Pipeslice which allowed them to close up on me a bit. They were both lapping quickly but this time I felt more comfortable being in the lead (not usually this way for me) and was able to keep them at bay with a gap of around 3-5 seconds as they raced each other. Pipeslice got d/c at the most unfortunate time just as he was sitting in Dark's diffuser going down the long straight. This startled me a little and I had a moment coming out of turn 3. In my efforts to make up for this I took a little too much kerb on turn 9 and went into turn 10 sideways off the track, destroying a polystyrene distance marker. This allowed Dark to close right up on me. The gap stabilised at around 2 seconds then he started exerting pressure and put in two very quick consecutive laps, bringing it down to just a second. However I rediscovered my confidence after a couple of hairy laps and started to bridge out the gap slightly again. The race carried on in this way for me, just trying to keep the gap and not make any mistakes.

Pity that Pipeslice got d/c as it would have been a very tight race to the end between all three of us I believe. Since his massively unfair d/c i've decided to at least award him the points for 8th place finish. This isn't enough however to keep Baumi27 from leapfrogging him into 3rd place in the championship with just two rounds to go.

Race Footage
Courtesy of kcheeb:

kcheeb's race:

Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3SQjfgAPk8
Race 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWhmsC2B6_w
Race 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPErO7KzCU

And here are the tables:

The Championship Tables (As of round 17):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 526 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 380 pts
3rd. Baumi27 - 294 pts