7th GTP F1 World Championship (F1 2010 edition) * SEASON FINISHED :'''( *

Ali, we could practice together, if you'd like. I'm still trying to cope with tyre simulation (all other aids disabled, ofc) anyway and it's not as boring if you're having someone you can compare yourself with. :)

Thanks for the offer. You can add me on PSN. ID is: saidur

However I don't know how much I will be playing this game. I think I will play GT5 more and hope that F1 2011 suits me better. If I'm in F1 2010 when you are online then I guess we could do some practice sessions although comparing yourself to me for your pace, you will be looking at being at least 2 seconds a lap faster to be competitive with most of the top 5 competitors in this championship.

Thanks for the offer. You can add me on PSN. ID is: saidur

However I don't know how much I will be playing this game. I think I will play GT5 more and hope that F1 2011 suits me better. If I'm in F1 2010 when you are online then I guess we could do some practice sessions although comparing yourself to me for your pace, you will be looking at being at least 2 seconds a lap faster to be competitive with most of the top 5 competitors in this championship.

I'm not exactly the fastest either - I'll send the request later today, it's like 2am in Paris right now and I'm at work. Looking forward to it and we can give it a try in 2011 as well, I'll pick it up on the 23rd anyway. :)

Race report:

Qualifying went worse than I'd hoped, during the last few days I was able to find about 2.5 seconds and reset my pb this morning 3 times, I was hopeful. It was not to be though as I was more than a second behind my pb, which at best would have leveled me with Tom and jcm-16.

Got a good start and was able to jump ahead of saidur who seemed to be a little slow off the mark. jcm-16 and Ardius had a small get together in turn one which forced me wide to avoid, off into the paint I went. For the rest of lap 1 I followed jcm-16 and Ardius around, closing the gap and then losing time. Into turn 1 on lap 2 and jcm-16 made a small bobble and I was able to sneak past. I held him at bay for a lap and a half, but my mistake riddled day was just starting. A little soon on the accelerator in the chicane after the hairpin and he was by.

The rest of the race is mostly uneventful, I started on primes for a change of pace and was able to move up a couple of places as the people on options made their stops. jcm-16 and I had a mini battle after his pit stop, but I made another bobble and he sped away again. After I pitted, I managed to stay in front of Tom, he seemed to be having a little trouble making the transition from GT5 Karts to F1 2010 :) I managed to stretch the gap a touch and finish ahead of him. It was nice having you back Tom and fun racing with a near full field, good to have new faces in the mix too!

My thanks to Shaggy for organizing a very well run, fair and fun event. Tip of the hat to you sir.

More thanks to everyone else I raced against for your patience and encouragement of the 50 year old noob. You made me feel welcome and helped me learn a great deal about racing and sportsmanship, cheers!

Race Videos:
Qualifying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQXGARrG2qQ
Race 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y4Bpen-XJM
Race 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2j0Iz6rHk

Last edited:
Hi guys,

thanks for posting the videos kcheeb.

Race Report:

Qualifying:
Was ok, I didn't get a perfect lap, but to be honest I knew only with much luck I can drive a mid 1.37 as I wasn't able to find grip in sector 3.

Race:
I decided to experiment a little bit with my setup to be able to ride the curbs more. So I set my ride height from 1,1 to 4,4. (This worked well in Korea for me)
That was a trap and big mistake!
The start was quiet good only baumi was able to overtake me in turn 1 with a stunning and clean move. The first and second round was ok for me, but I quickly realized that my car doesn't behave like it should. There was nearly no grip anymore in corners, especially in sector 2 and sector 3.
I cant count how often I go wide in corners.
The more fuel burned out the more difficult the car handles, really paradox.
PJ was able to gain time on me although he seems to have the same problems I had. Shaggy, Pipe and Baumi were over a second faster per lap, really annoying, and this leads me into getting penalties for corner cutting cause I tried to find new lines over the curbs as my setup would cost me another 2 seconds per lap if i would avoid the curbs, cause I had no grip.
In mid of the race and after pitstop I was able to get the most out of this "wrecked" hrt and was able to sligtly gain time on Baumi. But he was able to control our gap and it stays around 3-6 seconds.
Than in Lap 26 Baumi crashed seriously and lost his front wing. It must has been a big impact as a lot of parts were lying on the straight.
Due to my Corner Cutting I got with good cause penalties and finished 4th behind Baumi.
I think pipeslice and shaggy had a stunning race as they were really close in final rounds as I saw (1-2 seconds gap).
So not the best final for me, but also fun to fight with pj, baumi and ardius.

As I already said yesterday i really enjoyed this championship and want to thank shaggy for organising it, great job mate!
Now I'm really looking forward to F1 2011 and the first thing I will do is picking up an awesome driver (shaggy can you hear me?) and driving in coop carrier mode with p1, p2, p3, q1, q2, q3, race in hrt up to mclaren over 3 seasons or so. :-)
And I plan to go in cockpit view as it seems to be that you can see where your tyres go (view raised) and bigger mirrors in the new game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3fHAQKXVM&feature=related

And after that I will be back for the next championship season to be hopefully as competitive as I was this year.
As you can see the learning curve is long so perhaps in january I will think about the next championship.
Beside this fact I will be able for practicing online races in online mode of course.

Best regards

DarkPSI

Last edited:
Thanks for the help.

Anyway I want to say sorry to Pipeslice and I guess Shaggy who must have been around the incident judging by how close you guys finished. Don't know who crashed. I thought JC was behind me, I had a moment, pressed brake as you do then bam and next thing I see is Pipeslice's username go by and think 'Uh oh'. If I knew you were behind I would have slowed down.

No worries, no real harm was done. I was following you round for about half a lap and was speaking on the mic to inform you but you mustn't have been able to hear over the engines! You were going at a good pace but the problem was you were lagging in and out, just as it would seem that you were slowing up to let me past, suddenly you would teleport 100 metres in front again - this happened about half a dozen times. I made it past into the tight hairpin before the long straight when you spun, I looked back and saw Pipeslice get held up a bit - but all is well because since it slowed us both down it evened things out!

I forget to say congratulations to Shaggy for his Vettel like performance this championship. For the finale, getting pole this race by the narrowest of margins and then winning it, impressive stuff. You must have had more wins than Vettel? The thing is you did it with equal performing cars unlike Vettel :sly:.

Ugh, please don't compare me to fingerboy 👎

Only joking of course! I'm flattered but the truth is I had the rub of the green in quite a few of these races. There were many times when I suspected both Dark and Pipeslice would outqualify me only for it to rain which usually helped me. And when you're on pole everything is so much easier, which is basically why Vettel is looking like a God at the moment (and a distinct car advantage always helps!).

Race report:

Qualifying went worse than I'd hoped, during the last few days I was able to find about 2.5 seconds and reset my pb this morning 3 times, I was hopeful. It was not to be though as I was more than a second behind my pb, which at best would have leveled me with Tom and jcm-16.

Got a good start and was able to jump ahead of saidur who seemed to be a little slow off the mark. jcm-16 and Ardius had a small get together in turn one which forced me wide to avoid, off into the paint I went. For the rest of lap 1 I followed jcm-16 and Ardius around, closing the gap and then losing time. Into turn 1 on lap 2 and jcm-16 made a small bobble and I was able to sneak past. I held him at bay for a lap and a half, but my mistake riddled day was just starting. A little soon on the accelerator in the chicane after the hairpin and he was by.

The rest of the race is mostly uneventful, I started on primes for a change of pace and was able to move up a couple of places as the people on options made their stops. jcm-16 and I had a mini battle after his pit stop, but I made another bobble and he sped away again. After I pitted, I managed to stay in front of Tom, he seemed to be having a little trouble making the transition from GT5 Karts to F1 2010 :) I managed to stretch the gap a touch and finish ahead of him. It was nice having you back Tom and fun racing with a near full field, good to have new faces in the mix too!

My thanks to Shaggy for organizing a very well run, fair and fun event. Tip of the hat to you sir.

More thanks to everyone else I raced against for your patience and encouragement of the 50 year old noob. You made me feel welcome and helped me learn a great deal about racing and sportsmanship, cheers!

Race Videos:
Race 2: Processing

Thanks for the vids Ken. You're a real trooper, and have been a great addition to the championship since you arrived mid-season. I'm sure you'll carry what you've learnt into F1 2011 where I hope you'll be switching to manual gearing - trust me, once you get the hang of it you'll never look back :sly:

Hi guys,

thanks for posting the videos kcheeb.

Race Report:

Qualifying:
Was ok, I didn't get a perfect lap, but to be honest I knew only with much luck I can drive a mid 1.37 as I wasn't able to find grip in sector 3.

Race:
I decided to experiment a little bit with my setup to be able to ride the curbs more. So I set my ride height from 1,1 to 4,4. (This worked well in Korea for me)
That was a trap and big mistake!
The start was quiet good only baumi was able to overtake me in turn 1 with a stunning and clean move. The first and second round was ok for me, but I quickly realized that my car doesn't behave like it should. There was nearly no grip anymore in corners, especially in sector 2 and sector 3.
I cant count how often I go wide in corners.
The more fuel burned out the more difficult the car handles, really paradox.
PJ was able to gain time on me although he seems to have the same problems I had. Shaggy, Pipe and Baumi were over a second faster per lap, really annoying, and this leads me into getting penalties for corner cutting cause I tried to find new lines over the curbs as my setup would cost me another 2 seconds per lap if i would avoid the curbs, cause I had no grip.
In mid of the race and after pitstop I was able to get the most out of this "wrecked" hrt and was able to sligtly gain time on Baumi. But he was able to control our gap and it stays around 3-6 seconds.
Than in Lap 26 Baumi crashed seriously and lost his front wing. It must has been a big impact as a lot of parts were lying on the straight.
Due to my Corner Cutting I got with good cause penalties and finished 4th behind Baumi.
I think pipeslice and shaggy had a stunning race as they were really close in final rounds as I saw (1-2 seconds gap).
So not the best final for me, but also fun to fight with pj, baumi and ardius.

As I already said yesterday i really enjoyed this championship and want to thank shaggy for organising it, great job mate!
Now I'm really looking forward to F1 2011 and the first thing I will do is picking up an awesome driver (shaggy can you hear me?) and driving in coop carrier mode with p1, p2, p3, q1, q2, q3, race in hrt up to mclaren over 3 seasons or so. :-)
And I plan to go in cockpit view as it seems to be that you can see where your tyres go (view raised) and bigger mirrors in the new game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM3fHAQKXVM&feature=related

And after that I will be back for the next championship season to be hopefully as competitive as I was this year.
As you can see the learning curve is long so perhaps in january I will think about the next championship.
Beside this fact I will be able for practicing online races in online mode of course.

Best regards

DarkPSI

Was a pleasure racing you in this championship Dark 👍

I've noticed we seem to have the same outlook on so many things about F1, racing and this game so of course being your team mate in co-op mode would be great. Thing is, i'm not sure how much time I could really devote to it. And the thing about co-op mode is that I suspect we'll soon far outpace the AI so as to make it basically a two horse race for each and every race which could get boring. I know the only track in F1 2010 where we would have to fight for the win would be Catalunya. I hope this doesn't prove to be the case again.

I'm hugely excited about the new game though, the physics look way better, as do the graphics - just a huge upgrade on F1 2010 basically, which is ideal given how much i've loved this game.

Ali, we could practice together, if you'd like. I'm still trying to cope with tyre simulation (all other aids disabled, ofc) anyway and it's not as boring if you're having someone you can compare yourself with. :)

You two could count me in for some arranged practice also...I have a few tips to pass on which might help you Saidur, I'm not anywhere near the fastest on here but I have improved some pace by picking up a few things from watching the other lads on here.

It does ultimately come down to how much track time you're willing to put in, unlike real life where you only get limited track time at a given event.

Guys it was a great championship, thoroughly enjoyed it 👍 It's been a pleasure driving with you and I hope to see you in F1 2011! :)

You two could count me in for some arranged practice also...I have a few tips to pass on which might help you Saidur, I'm not anywhere near the fastest on here but I have improved some pace by picking up a few things from watching the other lads on here.

It does ultimately come down to how much track time you're willing to put in, unlike real life where you only get limited track time at a given event.

I'd be interested in doing laps with you guys too. There are timezone issues to overcome, but if you're on, on the weekends, I should be able to join in.

I actually forgot to send the request to ali but feel free to add me on PSN, my ID is MORGUTAK. Just put into the note that it's about F1 in case your PSN ID is different from your username on here, please. :)

I'd just like to say my thanks to Shaggy for hosting a great Championship and thanks to all you guys for making it a great experience, every race was fantastic fun and it's been a pleasure racing with you all. Hopefully see you on F1 2011 soon or GT5

I actually forgot to send the request to ali but feel free to add me on PSN, my ID is MORGUTAK. Just put into the note that it's about F1 in case your PSN ID is different from your username on here, please. :)

will add you tonight, cheers.

Hey guys,

just wanted to pop in and say thank you to Shaggy and all the people who were involved in the championship. I enjoyed it immensely and felt I definitely improved as the season went on. A shame then that life seemed to get so busy towards the end of the season meaning that I had to miss quite a lot of races.

Definitely up for some 2011 when it comes out.

Catch you guys later.

GTP 7th F1 World Championship - Round 19 - Abu Dhabi

19uaeencmyk300dpi.jpg

Weather - Dry (what else did you expect?)

Qualifying Results:

Pole - Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) - 1:37.329 (10 pts)

2nd. - Pipeslice (Jordan) - 1:37.333 (8 pts)

3rd. - DarkPSI (Benetton) - 1:38.071 (6 pts)

4th. - Baumi27 (Brawn)- 1:38.523 (5 pts)

5th. - Pj-gm (Brabham)- 1:39.197 (4 pts)

6th. - Saidur (Hesketh)- 1:40.300 (3 pts)

7th. - tombrooks97 (Jordan)- 1:42.007 (2 pts)

8th. - jcm (Brabham)- 1:42.134 (1 pts)

9th. - Ardius (Brawn)- 1:42.342 (0 pts)

10th. - kcheeb (Hesketh)- 1:43.171 (0 pts)

Race Results:

1st. Shaggy Alonso (Tyrrell) (25 pts) = 47m03.428s
2nd. Pipeslice (Jordan) (18 pts) + 1.5s
3rd. Baumi27 (Brawn) (15 pts) + 67.0s
4th. DarkPSI (Benetton) (12 pts) + 53.4s (+ 40 sec pen)
5th. pj-gm (Brabham) (10 pts) + 87.6s (+ 20 sec pen)
6th. Ardius (Brawn) (8 pts) + 1 lap
7th. Saidur (Hesketh) (6 pts) + 1 lap
8th. jcm (Brabham) (4 pts) + 1 lap
9th. kcheeb (Hesketh) (2 pts) + 1 lap
10th. tombrooks97 (Jordan) (1 pts) + 2 laps

Qualifying:

In practice for the race I assumed my set-up would be similar to Canada or Valencia with a stiff front suspension and soft rear for good traction onto the two long straights and more controllable oversteer. I found after a while though that this set-up was very unsuited to the tight sections of track where the rear wouldn't traverse the corners quickly enough and generally felt sluggish - causing me to overdrive to compensate for this tardyness. I was at a bit of a loss as to how to procede, as although adding lots of front wing sure helped in the first sector and improved the car's direction change, it was also making it very imbalanced in the slow sections and of course came with a drag penalty. I experimented with stiffening the rear suspension and it worked - the car felt more agile yet balanced and I could take some of the wing off to compensate for the loss of traction. It seemed to work even better when the car was laden with fuel, as it still felt soft and mostly predictable.

My first qualy lap was very poor with two big oversteer moments, but I completed it anyway just as a banker lap to post a 1:38.9 which I knew would be no where close to pole position. My next run I cocked up again with another bad moment so I pitted again straight away to fill up for a final two lap run. Pipeslice posted a 1:37.3 to hold provisional pole, so I knew I would have to do a very good lap to better that. My first lap was just about good enough, a bee's dick between our two laps at 4 thousandths of a second (it's amazing how closely matched we so often are in qualifying, less than a tenth at Interlagos, couple of hundredths at Monza, 1 thousandth at Korea and now 4 thousandths here) and as I started an aggressive 2nd lap I unfortunately had oversteer on the exit of the hairpin onto the main straight so gave up the lap. Thankfully, my time held out for pole. DarkPSI went the wrong way with set-up and wasn't able to replicate times he'd set during the week in practice but would still start from 3rd position.

Race:

I got a good start and led away from the pack, Pipeslice holding onto second and Baumi27 making another one of his blistering starts to relieve DarkPSI of 3rd position. I was ultra cautious in the twisty sections of the first lap for fear of making a mistake. I was finding it hard to shake Pipeslice who seemed to have more wing than me as he was always gaining in the first sector but losing in the second, but he was more aggressive than me over the kerbs of the final sector to usually gain a little on me. The gap in this first stint was never any higher than 2 seconds, and was frequently less than 1 second. It was all a little bit cautious from us I felt though, both being afraid of making a critical mistake which would let the other get away from us. The lap times were pretty slow and we were both driving within ourselves definitely, sacrificing ultimate lap-time to ensure no oversteer moments. Very different to other circuits like Istanbul, Spa or Interlagos where we were both pushing each other to our limits, attacking all the time. This was a little more like a staring contest, just waiting for the other to blink, hoping you don't first.

On lap 9 my rear tyres were starting to go (a nasty side effect of my stiff rear suspension) and Pipe was getting closer. I had to save a brief moment entering the second straight which put him right on me, but my straight line speed might have saved me here as he was only able to draw alongside of me but not get ahead so I just held the middle of the track and blocked his approach as it's one way through the ensuing chicanes. Thankfully this was the lap of my scheduled pit-stop and I knew i'd feel more comfortable on the prime tyres. Pipeslice stayed out a lap later to try and leap-frog me, knowing this I pushed for the first time in the race and did a decent outlap. This along with a better pit-stop meant Pipeslice came out 3 seconds behind. Initially I thought I was extending the gap when suddenly he took a massive 7 tenth chunk out of my lead in the 3rd sector of one lap alone and I realised he meant business. I pushed a little harder but he was still gaining, albeit much more slowly now. The gap seemed to stabilise at 1-2 seconds before mistakes started creeping into his driving, no doubt because he was being forced to push harder than me. As a result the gap rose to 4 seconds but just when I thought i'd got the back of the race broken, I came across Saidur who unfortunately was lagging badly and didn't seem to notice I was lapping him. This went on for about 2 thirds of a lap which allowed Pipeslice to close up on me once more by the time I was past Saidur.

Fortunately the primes held out much better than the options and I was able to keep Pipeslice at bay despite some late pressure from him to secure the win. DarkPSI's set-up woes meant he had a torrid race, incurring penalties that left him behind Baumi27, who showed a great pace in the first stint, hanging onto the back of Pipeslice and I nicely.

Well that draws to a close a long and emotional season. We had races like Bahrain and Brazil would've gone down in history as great F1 races had they been real, they were really that good.

I'd like to thank everyone who took part for their dedication, clean and exciting racing and general exemplary attitude. I know from previous championships that having such a competitive bunch of guys and managing to keep it friendly isn't always a given. DarkPSI and Pipeslice are both great blokes and fantastic competitors who made life easy but made the racing hard! Thanks to Ken for recording all the races, this was a real bonus for us.

I would say that it's sad we're breaking up the group now, but F1 2011 is upon us and undoubtedly we will all meet up again for some even better racing. With this in mind, the season really ended at the perfect time, it came to its natural conclusion.

Just to let you know I shall be compiling some end of season stats, including a Autosport style supergrid, to work out the average pace in qualifying of each and every driver which should be an interesting read.

Race Footage
Courtesy of kcheeb:

kcheeb's race:

Race 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2j0Iz6rHk

And here are the tables:

The Championship Tables (Season completed):

Drivers Championship

1st. Shaggy Alonso - 587 pts
2nd. DarkPSI - 429 pts
3rd. Baumi27 - 330 pts
4th. Pipeslice - 325 pts
5th. Mutu20 - 208 pts
6th. Ardius - 143 pts
7th. kcheeb - 108 pts
8th. pj-gm - 81 pts
9th. Tombrooks97 - 71 pts
10th. AliT12 - 57 pts
11th. MikeTheHockeyFan - 44 pts
12th. Upuaut - 36 pts
13th. NumbPhase - 34 pts
14th. DOUQA - 19 pts
15th. Paulzx - 16 pts
16th. Jerry786 - 12 pts
17th. Saidur - 9 pts
18th. Jcm - 5 pts
19th. Shark33 - 3 pts
20th. Muzza_ORUK - 3 pts
21st. Manios22DC - 2 pts
22nd. jordy7777 - 2 pts
23rd. DonkeyFuzz - 2 pts
24th. Akmuq - 1 pts

Teams Championship

1st. Tyrrell - 796 pts - Shaggy Alonso, Mutu20, Akmuq
2nd. Benetton - 489 pts - DarkPSI, MikeTheHockeyFan, Paulzx
3rd. Brawn - 475 pts - Baumi27, Manios22DC, Ardius
4th. Jordan - 411 pts - Tombrooks97, Pipeslice, Jerry786, Shark33
5th. Brabham - 179 pts - Upuaut, AliT12, pj-gm, Jcm
6th. Hesketh - 177 pts - kcheeb, NumbPhase, DOUQA, jordy7777, DonkeyFuzz, Muzza_ORUK, Saidur

Last edited:
No worries, no real harm was done. I was following you round for about half a lap and was speaking on the mic to inform you but you mustn't have been able to hear over the engines! You were going at a good pace but the problem was you were lagging in and out, just as it would seem that you were slowing up to let me past, suddenly you would teleport 100 metres in front again - this happened about half a dozen times. I made it past into the tight hairpin before the long straight when you spun, I looked back and saw Pipeslice get held up a bit - but all is well because since it slowed us both down it evened things out!

Ugh, please don't compare me to fingerboy 👎

Only joking of course! I'm flattered but the truth is I had the rub of the green in quite a few of these races. There were many times when I suspected both Dark and Pipeslice would outqualify me only for it to rain which usually helped me. And when you're on pole everything is so much easier, which is basically why Vettel is looking like a God at the moment (and a distinct car advantage always helps!).

Thanks for the vids Ken. You're a real trooper, and have been a great addition to the championship since you arrived mid-season. I'm sure you'll carry what you've learnt into F1 2011 where I hope you'll be switching to manual gearing - trust me, once you get the hang of it you'll never look back :sly:

I don't think I spun as I was on the brakes. Heard someone hit me from behind and I thought I might have cost one of the leaders a front wing when I saw Pipeslice's username go by. My brother was talking to me at the same time and was driving in cockpit view the whole race so that hurt my awareness a little.

I'm amazed how fast you guys can drive, more or less qualifying laps throughout the whole race. Could I ask what downforce levels were you running on the front and rear for the last race and the KPH figure for the top gear? Any chance you can run the latest Mercedes seasonal event in GT5, I want to see if your speed translates into GT5 because I think it should. You Pipeslice and Dark are like proper F1 drivers but in the virtual world.

From the video you can see I did a Mark Webber on the start. I shifted up to 2nd to early and engine bogged down. Probably the worst start I ever done but it does not really matter as I did not really lose anything from it.
Ken, you probably be also busy learning to use the Kers and DRS buttons too with the manual gearing. Should be good fun for all of us to get used to.

There managed to be 24 drivers in the end I see. A complete championship.

I don't think I spun as I was on the brakes. Heard someone hit me from behind and I thought I might have cost one of the leaders a front wing when I saw Pipeslice's username go by. My brother was talking to me at the same time and was driving in cockpit view the whole race so that hurt my awareness a little.

I'm amazed how fast you guys can drive, more or less qualifying laps throughout the whole race. Could I ask what downforce levels were you running on the front and rear for the last race and the KPH figure for the top gear? Any chance you can run the latest Mercedes seasonal event in GT5, I want to see if your speed translates into GT5 because I think it should. You Pipeslice and Dark are like proper F1 drivers but in the virtual world.

From the video you can see I did a Mark Webber on the start. I shifted up to 2nd to early and engine bogged down. Probably the worst start I ever done but it does not really matter as I did not really lose anything from it.
Ken, you probably be also busy learning to use the Kers and DRS buttons too with the manual gearing. Should be good fun for all of us to get used to.

There managed to be 24 drivers in the end I see. A complete championship.

Sorry, at the moment i'm just not so interested in GT5. I play it now and again but I don't have the will to persist with it. It's a slow burner for me and i'll play it occasionally until GT6 comes out in 2037 👍

I can only speak for myself but I was running 5 front wing, 1 rear wing and was maxing out at 215 mph along the main straight in qualifying, which is 346 kph.

Hi Shaggy,

cool race report! Would love to see the average Qualytimes etc I'm really excited about that.

There is a new video which shows Steve Hood the Game Designer of F2011 driving in Monza.
I was really surprised how poor his driving was, cause he seems to be a person who played and tested nearly every day. So perhaps practicing isnt always the key and little talent is needed!? What do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-M0stQo9yo

Best regards

DarkPSI

Hi Shaggy,

cool race report! Would love to see the average Qualytimes etc I'm really excited about that.

There is a new video which shows Steve Hood the Game Designer of F2011 driving in Monza.
I was really surprised how poor his driving was, cause he seems to be a person who played and tested nearly every day. So perhaps practicing isnt always the key and little talent is needed!? What do you guys think?

Best regards

DarkPSI

Probably. :P

I'm actually sorry for the poor wheel...

Hi Shaggy,

Best regards

DarkPSI

Yeah i'm working on it now Dark, got about 2 thirds of the field worked out so far, working my way from the bottom up so have yet to score you, Pipeslice or myself.

It's worth noting that Steve Hood has said that he is more used to driving with a pad than a wheel, he's more of a paddie. But yes, it's all about talent, nothing to do with practice :sly::sly::sly:

:lol:

Sorry, at the moment i'm just not so interested in GT5. I play it now and again but I don't have the will to persist with it. It's a slow burner for me and i'll play it occasionally until GT6 comes out in 2037 👍

I hope I can join your F1 2011 race group; like you I don't play that much GT5, only on Sundays with Concours Club and some practice/seasonal drives.

Will be busy with F1 2011 when it releases on the 23rd :)

I can only speak for myself but I was running 5 front wing, 1 rear wing and was maxing out at 215 mph along the main straight in qualifying, which is 346 kph.

Fair enough.

Similar to me then but I was running 4 for front wing.

Pipeslice if you are reading the comments, will you be williing to try the Mercedes Seasonal event. It is only a time trial event around the Top Gear Track and you can try and beat David Coulthard's time. There is some cutting of the track for the really fast times but that gives you a maximum of about 5 tenths. I just want to see how much of the raw pace in F1 2010 translates into GT5.

Steve Hood was not driving that poorly, I have seen a lot worse... The cars seems to have a lot of understeer going by the video, which is quite realistic going by the Ferrari this year.

Steve Hood was not driving that poorly, I have seen a lot worse...

However much you think the development guys have driven and tested their f1 games it won't be anywhere near as much time as some of us, I doubt they would fare that well against a lot of the guys here because I doubt they thrash those games like some of us do.

If they did they would be a lot more aware of some of the things that didn't work properly

However much you think the development guys have driven and tested their f1 games it won't be anywhere near as much time as some of us, I doubt they would fare that well against a lot of the guys here because I doubt they thrash those games like some of us do.

If they did they would be a lot more aware of some of the things that didn't work properly

They have Anthony Davidson to do that. As Dark said, not everyone is as talented at racing games...

Shaggy, I got a thing to tempt you to play GT5, get to Level 30 and then you can beat fingerboy. PD has helped Vettel succeed in F1 by giving Adrian Newey crazy thoughts on how to make a high downforce rocketship ;).

Best regards

DarkPSI

You don't need to be extremely good at games to be a Chief Games Designer, they will have someone who helps design the difficulty but not all designers need to be masters of their product.
Its more than likely that as Chief Designer, he spends more time in meetings than he does playing the actual game. Thats for his design team and the test team, though naturally I don't claim to know all of the ins and outs of Codemasters' working practices.

Sort of true, it depends person to person really - but its certainly not part of the work involved. Some designers and programmers will play as much as us..but in their personal time rather than as a part of work. But lets be fair, their test team will have played it more than we will have in the same amount of time.
Also - there is a requirement that at least 1 or 2 of the designers be good enough to play their own game..for pretty obvious reasons. There will be people at Codemasters who are as good if not better than us, these are the people that are used to tweak the hardest settings.

Steve Hood had an excuse for his driving:
"The wheel had a massive dead-zone which I only realised as the race started. I decided to live with it but you could see I was having to turn a lot more than normal"

;-)

. There will be people at Codemasters who are as good if not better than us, these are the people that are used to tweak the hardest settings.

I guess this must definitely be the case.
But can anyone explain how a team of testers who can play the game on max settings, and play the game more often than the community, can miss the fact that you used to get punctures every race, the pit lane limiter never worked properly etc etc.

I fancy i would have noticed that after playing the game for one week let alone a year or two. Not singling codemasters out, it seems to be a problem across the board these days, just interested how people who test the game can possibly miss things like that!

Fair enough.

Similar to me then but I was running 4 for front wing.

Pipeslice if you are reading the comments, will you be williing to try the Mercedes Seasonal event. It is only a time trial event around the Top Gear Track and you can try and beat David Coulthard's time. There is some cutting of the track for the really fast times but that gives you a maximum of about 5 tenths. I just want to see how much of the raw pace in F1 2010 translates into GT5.

Ok saidur ive spent a couple of hours today on the tt in gt5 and managed a 1:14.8 which is 47nd on leaderboard at time of writing this. i could probably get another 3 -4 tenths on that,but below that might come down to how well the car come off that last corner from the grass.i think all times are going to be wiped now because of corner cutting,but i wont be redoing it,cause the game is just not for me,same as shaggy f1 is where i like to race so im gonna stick with that.i noticed your time on the leaderboards and you are quick aswell, strange how you could,nt quite find the pace in f1 2010.look forward to seeing you in f1 2011.

I guess this must definitely be the case.
But can anyone explain how a team of testers who can play the game on max settings, and play the game more often than the community, can miss the fact that you used to get punctures every race, the pit lane limiter never worked properly etc etc.

I fancy i would have noticed that after playing the game for one week let alone a year or two. Not singling codemasters out, it seems to be a problem across the board these days, just interested how people who test the game can possibly miss things like that!

Chances are they did notice that but either chose not to fix it or couldn't fix for whatever reason (usually risk assessement) before release.
Probably no one found it or it wasn't deemed a serious (enough) issue on the version of the game that was submitted for release but later testing for patches found the issue. Many bugs like this are found shortly before submission but due to time and/or budget constraints the bugs are not fixed for release and are instead left for patches.

Trust me - if it seems obvious and crazy that the testers would have missed a bug then 100% of the time the testers did find it. Please don't blame the testers for bugs being in games!

Back