Motor City Tunes

Hey hotrod, whats up. Just thought I'd drop by and let you know where I'm at with the NASCAR TT. Currently 29th now with a time of 46.886. Lovin' this tuning thing now that I know what I'm doing thanks to you. Hope everything is well with ya and Happy Holidays bro. Peace.

Hey hotrod, whats up. Just thought I'd drop by and let you know where I'm at with the NASCAR TT. Currently 29th now with a time of 46.886. Lovin' this tuning thing now that I know what I'm doing thanks to you. Hope everything is well with ya and Happy Holidays bro. Peace.

Congrats KB. You're getting scary fast.

Maserati GranTurismo S '08
680hp, 1890kg, 550PP

6438389309_7325c0a44f_z.jpg

This car was specially tuned for the F.I.T.T. Harvey Wallbangers "Tons of Fun" Competition. I chose the Maserati on it's pure looks, uniqueness and driveability. This competition was listed as a challenge between heavy, luxurious Gran Touring cars. Although Verons qualify on weight, they are not as good looking, luxurious or fun to drive as this Maserati. I kept the looks of this car as stock as possible: factory paint, factory rims and no ugly fat tuner wings hanging off the trunk. The photo for this competion was taken in the car's home country. I could just see this car being driven through the rolling hills of Tuscany's wine country.

Installed Parts
Front Aero A
Rear Aero A
Rear Wing A
Enging Tuning Stage 3
ECU tuning
Sports intake manifold
Racing air filter
Sports exhaust manifold
Catalytic converter: sports
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully customizable trans
Clutch: Twin-Plate
Flywheel: Semi-Racing
Adjustable LSD
Carbon Drive Shaft
Suspension fully customizable
Sport Soft Tires

Offline F.I.T.T "Tons of Fun" Competition Tune (Monza and London)
RH --15/-15
Springs 11.0/12.5
Dampers ext 7/9
Dampers comp 5/7
ARB 3/5
Camber 2.8/2.5
Toe -0.20/0.00
LSD 15/13/5
Downforce 0/5
Brake 4/10
Ballast +200
Balast Position 30
Power Level 100%
1st gear 4.425
2nd gear 2.900
3rd gear 2.135
4th gear 1.660
5th gear 1.350
6th gear 1.140
Final gear 3.350
Top Speed 193 mph

Last edited:
Chaparral 2J Race Car '70
677hp, 821kg, 650PP

I have been using this tune for the B-Spec seasonal at Indy with my level 35 Bob. He wins 90% of the time with no coaching and can win every time if I yell at him a few times during the race.

Installed Parts
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully customizable trans
Adjustable LSD
Racing Hard Tires

Online B-Spec Seasonal (Indy Road Course 650PP event)
RH -5/-5
Springs 13.8/15.8
Dampers ext 5/6
Dampers comp 3/5
ARB 5/4
Camber 3.0/2.0
Toe -0.15/0.20
LSD 15/25/15
Brake 5/5
Ballast 0
Power Level 83.7%
1st gear 1.356
2nd gear 0.980
3rd gear 0.777
Final gear 3.850
Top Speed 193 mph

Thanks for the post! It really is very helpful to see all this information here even though I don't understand most of it as I have just started playing GT5 and have no played any of the previous games and don't have any experience with racing either. That being said, I'm just curious as to why you don't max out some of the upgrades for the cars? For example, I'm looking at the Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04 - 450PP tune and I was just wondering if there would be any reason not to fully upgrade the engine or put in weight reduction. Also, I was wondering if the section that says "online tune" can also be used for offline racing in A spec as I'm not nearly good enough to go online. Thanks for your help!

Chaparral 2J Race Car '70
677hp, 821kg, 650PP

I have been using this tune for the B-Spec seasonal at Indy with my level 35 Bob. He wins 90% of the time with no coaching and can win every time if I yell at him a few times during the race.

Installed Parts
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully customizable trans
Adjustable LSD
Racing Hard Tires

Online B-Spec Seasonal (Indy Road Course 650PP event)
RH -5/-5
Springs 13.8/15.8
Dampers ext 5/6
Dampers comp 3/5
ARB 5/4
Camber 3.0/2.0
Toe -0.15/0.20
LSD 15/25/15
Brake 5/5
Ballast 0
Power Level 83.7%
1st gear 1.356
2nd gear 0.980
3rd gear 0.777
Final gear 3.850
Top Speed 193 mph

I'm looking forward to trying this. One thing though - you only need to add about 10 kg ballast to lower your PP to 650, and it allows you to use 100% of your engine power. Try it!

Also, thanks for posting the tune instead of using a .pdf file. The data in the .pdf can't be copied and pasted, and I use a big .doc file to hold all tunes. Sort of my own tuning database.

Pete

I'm just curious as to why you don't max out some of the upgrades for the cars? For example, I'm looking at the Honda Integra Type R (DC5) '04 - 450PP tune and I was just wondering if there would be any reason not to fully upgrade the engine or put in weight reduction. Also, I was wondering if the section that says "online tune" can also be used for offline racing in A spec as I'm not nearly good enough to go online. Thanks for your help!

There is a really fun 450PP nightly online racing club that I like to drive in. 450PP street cars on sport softs. That's why you will see some tunes at 450PP. These are the cars that I have taken to those races.

As for your second question, online and offline tunes sometimes need adjustments to be faster, but yes they will still work. Online tends to have a bit less rear grip, so I will adjust LSD and other fine tunes in the suspension. Not major changes - fine tunes.

Oh I didn't know they were supposed to be set for certain races. I know you're pretty good at tuning so I was wondering where I should start to learn about how to tune my cars for simple things like A Spec? I was thinking of following your tunes and start learning from there since I don't have any experience and gtplanet has too tuning guides that are far too in detail. Does your "guide for non tuners" apply to cars that are fully upgraded? Thanks for taking your time to post.

Ben

Thanks for all the info Motor City Hami! Ive been sifting through a lot of tuning guides to get better ideas and yours made the most sense to me. Tuning as a whole seems a lot more clear now and after reading the advanced tuning section i went back to the drawing board with my vette. i set it up properly this time and shaved half a second off my practice times that ive been running all week @ monaco.

Is the Raybrig NSX '06 setup found in 'Super GT Tunes One.pdf' a good one for the 'B-Spec / GT500 Spa-Francorchamps 10 laps' Seasonal Event? Because you don't use any Turbo Kits or Engine Tuning.

This is the car and tune that I used for the B-Spec Spa Seasonal

Honda Takata Dome NSX '06
640hp, 1300kg, 600PP

I have been using this tune for the B-Spec seasonal at Spa with my level 35 Bob. He wins 99% of the time, if I coach him a bit. I used sport softs and no pit stop. I can also win with race intermediate tires, but if I push him too hard in the beginning, he will burn the tires off the car and need a pit stop on lap 9. It's more challenging this way so depends on whether you want an easy win or not.

Edit - just sent 35 level Bob out on sport softs then jumped in the shower. No coaching and he won this event.

Edit #2 - my lower level Bob's can still win with this car, but needed more downforce to keep them on the road during the mid-race wetness. Added downforce in trade for power limiter. Level 32 Bob needed downforce of front 30, rear 50. Level 28 Bob needed max downforce 40 front, 65 rear.

Installed Parts
Chassis Reinforcement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Titanium Racing Exhaust
High RPM Turbo
Fully customizable trans
Adjustable LSD
Sport Soft Tires

Online B-Spec Seasonal (Spa 600PP event)
RH -5/-5
Springs 14.0/15.0
Dampers ext 5/6
Dampers comp 4/4
ARB 6/2
Camber 3.0/2.0
Toe -0.10/0.15
LSD 15/25/15
Brake 5/5
Front Aero 20
Rear Aero 35
Ballast 200
Ballast Position -25
Power Level 100%
1st gear 3.547
2nd gear 2.350
3rd gear 1.775
4th gear 1.400
5th gear 1.150
6th gear 0.972
Final gear 4.062
Top Speed 168 mph

Last edited:
Thank you for that info Hami. Both of the B-Spec seasonal are tricky. But the payoff is worth the head scratching. I will apply that tune to my 06 NSX GT500 and try again.👍

I really want to thank you for your opening statement and help for the challenge of tuning cars. I like you have been with GT since the first addition. But I never took gold in ALL of my tests in any version. I just wanted to get on the road as soon as I could.:dopey:

Your guide, along with some of the other top notch tuners on GTP helps me big time. However, yours stands out because the tuning instructions supplied in the game (esp. LSD) are a little vague. I already know and understand that tuning for on-line is a bear. Your guide might just make life on-line a lot better for me.

So I'm going back to basics starting with my 86’ Toyota MR2 at 400PP. If I can't tame her, I'd better stay in A&B spec.:) Using comfort soft, I can’t seem to keep that thing from spinning and losing control on the "Ring".:ouch: Especially from the second trun on to the first set of "S" es.

Yet I can take a tuned McLaren F1 the entire way with maybe two off the tracks in about 6:40. (I did a 6:15 once, but never again in that car):crazy:
So I am not a very fast driver, but I am courteous and fair. I just want to be fast too.:sly:

So I think tuning (and a lot of practice) can help me out. Thank you for your training. 👍

So I'm going back to basics starting with my 86’ Toyota MR2 at 400PP. If I can't tame her, I'd better stay in A&B spec.:) Using comfort soft, I can’t seem to keep that thing from spinning and losing control on the "Ring".:ouch: Especially from the second trun on to the first set of "S" es.

Thanks for the kind words. Don't be shy about asking for my opinion on a tune that you are working on. The point of my garage isn't whether I am fast with a car.. it is whether you become fast with yours.

For the MR2 at the Nurburgring, I would play with ride height a little. I find that I need to raise ride heights at the ring due to the elevation changes and banking. I never drive a car below zero at the ring and usually have raised to +5 or +10. It all depends upon the car. Play around with that and let me know if you see similar results?

Just dropping in to say thanks. Your tuning guide is a huge help. I understand tuning IRL but didn't so much in GT with it's seemingly arbitrary units of measure it uses at times. The quick tunes are saving me tons of time. And thanks for the car specific tunes as well, I'll definitely be using at least a few of those in the future.
Thanks again

Just dropping in to say thanks. Your tuning guide is a huge help. I understand tuning IRL but didn't so much in GT with it's seemingly arbitrary units of measure it uses at times. The quick tunes are saving me tons of time. And thanks for the car specific tunes as well, I'll definitely be using at least a few of those in the future.
Thanks again

Thanks for the kind word. I see that you are a C.R.A.P. racer. Love that name. Have been thinking about joining some of the CRAP races for some fun.

Thanks for the kind word. I see that you are a C.R.A.P. racer. Love that name. Have been thinking about joining some of the CRAP races for some fun.

You most definitely should. It's a good time, mostly non-elite racers, and not super competitive but we do have a few guys who are FAST. It's good clean racing though. I actually just updated my sig with a link to the group link. Def feel free to swing on over though, feel free to add me too, always good to have more people in my friends list within a timezone or so of me :lol:.
Again thanks and take care,
Kyle

You most definitely should. It's a good time, mostly non-elite racers, and not super competitive but we do have a few guys who are FAST. It's good clean racing though. I actually just updated my sig with a link to the group link. Def feel free to swing on over though, feel free to add me too, always good to have more people in my friends list within a timezone or so of me :lol:.
Again thanks and take care,
Kyle

I think I would put myself in the fast category, but not elite. I have a 3 year old at home, so GT5 time is after 9pm. I don't get to play as much as some of the every day, every night elite drivers.

I think I would put myself in the fast category, but not elite. I have a 3 year old at home, so GT5 time is after 9pm. I don't get to play as much as some of the every day, every night elite drivers.

We've definitely got some fast guys. Well actually that's a relative term i suppose, but they're miles faster than me. haha. That's sort of our thing though, good racing, but everyone has a life outside of their PS3 so no one is in the elite category. Got a diverse group of guys though so I'm fairly sure there are at least a few guys in each category aside from elite maybe, and oddly enough for a casual group i haven't seen anyone I'd describe as a noob either, don't get me wrong some of us are much much slower than others and most of us make the occasional mistake but nobody that uses other drivers as brakes/walls or anything like that. Maybe I'll catch you out there on the track one of these days though. :cheers:

BMW 2002 Turbo '73
340hp, 950kg, 500PP

This car was specially tuned for the F.I.T.T. pre-1975 challenge at Monico. I kept the stock color Taiga Metallic Green and added some BBS rims for style.

Installed Parts
Rear Wing B
Enging Tuning Stage 3
ECU tuning
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports intake manifold
Racing air filter
Sports exhaust manifold
Catalytic converter: sports
Sports Exhaust
High RPM Turbo
Fully customizable trans
Clutch: Twin-Plate
Flywheel: Semi-Racing
Adjustable LSD
Carbon Drive Shaft
Sport Soft Tires

Offline F.I.T.T pre-1975 challenge tune (Monico)
RH 0/+5
Springs 8.0/7.5
Dampers ext 6/6
Dampers comp 4/4
ARB 3/2
Camber 2.2/1.8
Toe -0.15/0.20
LSD 17/46/11
Downforce 0/20
Brake 4/8
Ballast +32
Balast Position -14
Power Level 100% (no power limiting allowed in this challenge)
1st gear 3.700
2nd gear 2.385
3rd gear 1.800
4th gear 1.440
5th gear 1.198
Final gear 3.400
Top Speed 130 mph

Last edited:
Congratulations Hami on a great thread! Your tuning guide has been a major help to me and has improved my game understanding and experience a great deal.

I followed your concise guide to tune Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98. With the in-game settings the car just refused to take the slightest turn.:grumpy:

After tampering with the settings at Grand Valley East (reverse) and testing my tune at several other tracks, I have to admit the car is vastly improved at least according to my driving style. However I am always concerned whether I am on the right path or far away from it.:) Especially for having set LSD to 5/5/5.

Anyway, here's my tune. I would appreciate it if Hami (or anyone else of course) could give it a try and tell me what you think about it.

RH -12/-7 (-2/3 for bumpy tracks)
Springs 13.8/15.8
Dampers ext 6/7
Dampers com 5/6
ARB 3/4
Camber 3.0/2.0
Toe -0.20/0.20
LSD 5/5/5
Downforce 50/60
Brake balance 7/10

Thanks again Hami for an excellent guide!!!

Congratulations Hami on a great thread! Your tuning guide has been a major help to me and has improved my game understanding and experience a great deal.

I followed your concise guide to tune Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98. With the in-game settings the car just refused to take the slightest turn.:grumpy:

After tampering with the settings at Grand Valley East (reverse) and testing my tune at several other tracks, I have to admit the car is vastly improved at least according to my driving style. However I am always concerned whether I am on the right path or far away from it.:) Especially for having set LSD to 5/5/5.

Anyway, here's my tune. I would appreciate it if Hami (or anyone else of course) could give it a try and tell me what you think about it.

RH -12/-7 (-2/3 for bumpy tracks)
Springs 13.8/15.8
Dampers ext 6/7
Dampers com 5/6
ARB 3/4
Camber 3.0/2.0
Toe -0.20/0.20
LSD 5/5/5
Downforce 50/60
Brake balance 7/10

Thanks again Hami for an excellent guide!!!

Your suspension settings look fine, but the LSD settings concern me. The LSD means so much in GT5. To get better feedback from me tell me a little about your driving style and how the car reacts in the sections of corners listed below.

Under braking, turn in and corner entry. Are you an aggressive, get everything you can out of the braking zone and turn in hard, hoping for the best kind of driver (me). Or are you more conservative, slow in, fast out? How is the R390 reacting to your style? Stable, gets down to the apex just right or gets squirly loose and is sometimes difficult to handle on entry?

Mid corner. Does the 390 roll around mid corner or long sweeping corners hugging the apex or does it push or get loose?

Throttle application past apex. Back to your driving, is it gentle like you have an egg under your foot or do you like to get back to full throttle as quickly as possible like me? How does the car react to your style? Begins to lose front grip if you give too much throttle on exit? Turns in extra hard and the rear gets loose if too much power? Spins out completely? Or even there a little bit of noticable lag or bit of sideways kick or anything?

All of the above problems can be symptoms of the LSD. I spend more time fine tuning the LSD than any other area. With 5/5/5 you've pretty much given up on letting the LSD do anything useful. That setting is the most open, letting the wheels rotate independantly on each side. That's usually good for conrer entry, but can make mid corner and exit really touchy on throttle application.

Your suspension settings look fine, but the LSD settings concern me. The LSD means so much in GT5. To get better feedback from me tell me a little about your driving style and how the car reacts in the sections of corners listed below.

Under braking, turn in and corner entry. Are you an aggressive, get everything you can out of the braking zone and turn in hard, hoping for the best kind of driver (me). Or are you more conservative, slow in, fast out? How is the R390 reacting to your style? Stable, gets down to the apex just right or gets squirly loose and is sometimes difficult to handle on entry?

Mid corner. Does the 390 roll around mid corner or long sweeping corners hugging the apex or does it push or get loose?

Throttle application past apex. Back to your driving, is it gentle like you have an egg under your foot or do you like to get back to full throttle as quickly as possible like me? How does the car react to your style? Begins to lose front grip if you give too much throttle on exit? Turns in extra hard and the rear gets loose if too much power? Spins out completely? Or even there a little bit of noticable lag or bit of sideways kick or anything?

All of the above problems can be symptoms of the LSD. I spend more time fine tuning the LSD than any other area. With 5/5/5 you've pretty much given up on letting the LSD do anything useful. That setting is the most open, letting the wheels rotate independantly on each side. That's usually good for conrer entry, but can make mid corner and exit really touchy on throttle application.

Thanks for your prompt answer Hami.
I'm all like you described your driving style.
On top of everything I use late breaking a lot which I have found to be extremely useful in clearing the AI traffic ahead of me when taking part in events.
Now this has become a habit to me and I use it always even in time trials. I like to be able to point and shoot, meaning I want the nose of my cars to be absolutely controllable, while at the same time I yearn for a slight oversteer to help me place the car by counter-steering and then get on full throttle exiting an apex. I like my cars to have what I call a firm behavior, i.e. to behave like a single piece of metal and follow the trajectory I have in mind.
I don't really mind absolute lap times as I mind the driving behavior and experience, i.e. I want to get pleasure from driving and enjoy the game.
I think that sums it up.

The problem with the Nissan as I described before was that it was reluctant to turn. Which led me by deduction to LSD 5/5/5.
I was wondering, is it possible to add you up as a psn friend and share a replay of the 390 for you to watch and see what I mean?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply:)

Thanks for your prompt answer Hami.
I'm all like you described your driving style.
On top of everything I use late breaking a lot which I have found to be extremely useful in clearing the AI traffic ahead of me when taking part in events.
Now this has become a habit to me and I use it always even in time trials. I like to be able to point and shoot, meaning I want the nose of my cars to be absolutely controllable, while at the same time I yearn for a slight oversteer to help me place the car by counter-steering and then get on full throttle exiting an apex. I like my cars to have what I call a firm behavior, i.e. to behave like a single piece of metal and follow the trajectory I have in mind.
I don't really mind absolute lap times as I mind the driving behavior and experience, i.e. I want to get pleasure from driving and enjoy the game.
I think that sums it up.

The problem with the Nissan as I described before was that it was reluctant to turn. Which led me by deduction to LSD 5/5/5.
I was wondering, is it possible to add you up as a psn friend and share a replay of the 390 for you to watch and see what I mean?
Thanks again for taking the time to reply:)

Sure. Happy to offer advice on things to try.

Hi Hami,

Thanks for all the great info. I've been having a hell of a time with the FGT. I have started with your tune and its a better starting point than most but still haveing issues. I don't notice any comments about traction control and ABS. What advice can you give on those? I'm trying to find a decent set up to do the FGT races. I'm sure its just my driving style being pretty hard braking and hope for the best type of style, but i'm trying to get smoother and not be full on accel and full on braking.

Thanks for any help.

MCH,

I used your Elise 111RM tune for my last racing season (I race in a private group of Corvette enthusiast/owners). I didn't make any changes to it.

I qualified 10th in our qualifying race (used to set the first week's starting order), and even with missing the second week due to work issues, I managed to place 4th in the overall points at the end of the season.

Without getting too technical, I didn't have time to tweak the set up at all, so ran your tune 'straight out of the box'.

The car was easy and a joy to drive, and as stated, 4th in points (after qualifying 10th), which was my best result ever in the group I race with.

I am going to try your quick tune to see if I can get more out of the LFA I have chosen for this season.

Thank you for the guide and the assistance.

I ended up with 5/5/5 as well on the Nissan for the time trial. Adding anything to the LSD seemed to make the car worse and after fiddling around with low settings like 5/10/10 and 8/12/8 I went to 5/5/5 and the car smoothed out nice. Still lights up the back end if you are in too low of a gear but that's a function of the tires and hp. Managed to crack the top 100 (ABS only) with that LSD set up so if it can be improved I'd give it a shot, but I can't make it work as well with anything other than 5/5/5.

For this car in this TT, the philosphy is basically to get through the corners with stability and get on the throttle as early as possible. The car is so light and so overpowered you're just hoping to survive most corners...lol. My set up is similar to the one above but with lower camber settings and much lower brake balance, either 4/2 or 3/1. I used both and changed on the fly sometimes so I can't remember which settings I used for sure but both are good.

Last edited:
I ended up with 5/5/5 as well on the Nissan for the time trial. Adding anything to the LSD seemed to make the car worse and after fiddling around with low settings like 5/10/10 and 8/12/8 I went to 5/5/5 and the car smoothed out nice. Still lights up the back end if you are in too low of a gear but that's a function of the tires and hp. Managed to crack the top 100 (ABS only) with that LSD set up so if it can be improved I'd give it a shot, but I can't make it work as well with anything other than 5/5/5.

For this car in this TT, the philosphy is basically to get through the corners with stability and get on the throttle as early as possible. The car is so light and so overpowered you're just hoping to survive most corners...lol. My set up is similar to the one above but with lower camber settings and much lower brake balance, either 4/2 or 3/1. I used both and changed on the fly sometimes so I can't remember which settings I used for sure but both are good.

I couldn't agree more with you. Anything over 5/5/5 seems to turn Nissan into a block of cement. You end up with no steering.
Hami's absolutely right to claim that LSD rules in GT5. But I prefer to consider this particular car as an oddity.

I'll try your camber and brake balance settings and see what will happen. I used the 7/10 setting because I tend to brake late and this helped me a lot into placing the car at the beginning of tight corners.
One thing I'm not capable of solving is the first right turn in Grand Valley (East or Speedway it's the same). Nissan is the only race car so far that I have to brake lightly and get down to 5th gear before taking the left bend right before the right hand turn. The same goes for Suzuka too. I have to break a bit at the right hand bend before braking hard at the first tight left turn.

Good topic though. Nissan is a beauty!!!

First off, thanks again for posting your guides as I have found them quite helpful in adjusting some of my tunes. That being said, I'm having a hell of a time trying to tune the Yellowbird. I've seen various garages with different tunes but they don't seem to be able to solve the tail happy attitude of the Yellowbird. I done just about everything from increasing LSD on accel and deccel to working on different spring rates and brake rates, but nothing seems to work for this darn car. If you have any advice regarding the tune, please let me know. Thanks!

First off, thanks again for posting your guides as I have found them quite helpful in adjusting some of my tunes. That being said, I'm having a hell of a time trying to tune the Yellowbird. I've seen various garages with different tunes but they don't seem to be able to solve the tail happy attitude of the Yellowbird. I done just about everything from increasing LSD on accel and deccel to working on different spring rates and brake rates, but nothing seems to work for this darn car. If you have any advice regarding the tune, please let me know. Thanks!

I have taken two shots at the Yellow Bird and haven't been happy with the final tune either time, so I didn't post them. I do want to do a tune from start to finish and show my tuning notes along the way. I started this with the Yellow Bird a couple of weeks ago. I am keeping record of every change that I make and the impact that it had on lap time. It's quite a project. I think I need to pick that back up and get the Yellow Bird Project finished.

Back