GT5's Game-Breaking Online Flaw (OP Updated: 11 Feb)

• Thread starter MGR
  • 1,131 comments
Only had 5 people in my race last night. The start was clean as a whistle with mics on. Not exactly a valid test.

We had 11 drivers with weather + mics @ Suzuka yesterday in the WRS-Online race and there was no trace of lag. Weather seems to add to the issues usually so I guess it's a light test. (Note: Private Lounge, Race Quality: Standard, Voice Chat Quality: Low). Still yet to have the opportunity to run 12+. We always run with visual damage OFF now, but not sure if it makes any real difference.

The EU race had technical problems with even the lounge locking up completely one time after resetting the track and everyone had a real hard time reconnecting, but that might have nothing to do with the update and just a fluke (I hope). The NA race had no hiccups at all and went smoothly.

Clearly PD is messing with the timing monitor for free run / qualification. But why? Is there some link to the changes they are making to address this bug and the time tracking? Why would they keep messing with this part of the code anyway when they finally had it working? There are new quirks and required workarounds for proper live qualification timing *every* single update. I really don't want to have to create pre-quali and all the extra overhead and I just enjoy live qualification before a race... it stinks they have to keep breaking that and making it difficult to admin.

Sounds like somebody should set-up a special one-off event in the online section to test 16 player thing. I was hoping WRS guys are gonna have enough attendees, but didn't happen. I'd show up but have no time to organize/plan.

We are trying right now in WSGTC. Until now though we have wasted an hour with private lobbies being impossible to connect to, switched to a public room and getting ready now, full grid.

^Nice. Livestreaming of testing is currently live on Speedy's channel.

UPD: Over. Not sure what's the verdict, but if anyone plans more testing - should be done the same way WRS guys tested the bug - oval track+flat-out the whole lap+changing mics/wheels etc.

Last edited:
My report of tonight's full-grid test race in WSGTC.

Conlusion is: GOOD

Room
Suzuka, no weather
Damage: Heavy + Visible
Grip reduction: Real
Draft: Small
Fuel/tyre wear: On
Penalty: Off
Mics: Off
First we all had problems connecting to our private lobby. We made a public room and it worked without problems.

Cars - 12P + 4S:
Nissan Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08 (P)
Honda Raybrig NSX '06 (P)
Honda Arta NSX '06 (P)
Nissan Xanavi Nismo Z '06 (P)
Lexus Eneos SC30 '08 (P)
Lexus Denso Dunlop Sard SC430 '08 (P)
Re Amemiya AsparaDrink RX7 '06 (P)
Autobacs Arta Garaiya '08 (P)
SuperAutobacs Apex MR-S '00 (S)
Cusco Subaru Advan Impreza '03 (S)
Re Amemiya AsparaDrink RX7 '06 (P)
Lexus Weds Sport IS350 '08 (P)
Re Amemiya AsparaDrink RX7 '04 (S)
Re Amemiya AsparaDrink RX7 '04 (S)

Me in an RX7 '04.

Stopwatch times
lagtest.png

Any difference below 0.2 is human error. So every single lap matches stopwatch time perfectly. Total race time matches perfectly as well.

Better yet, all lap times match my expectations perfectly, these are the times I use to run.

Every now and then there was gfx stuttering, several others reported the same. While annoying, it did not affect car handling or lap times.

Conclusion
There was no bug tonight.

We may be able to run full grids again.

i have only just found this thread!
I run a weekly series and this week we had 10 people online (privite room) sound and mics on standard, draft strong, damage light, visable damage on, track edge real.
Not using the mics much but we had ALOT of lag.
It seemed that the people who had quick interent connections were jumping all over the place. Also had cars wheel spinning all the way around the track, this made it hard to see where you were going.
I may try putting our room to public this week to see if it gets any better as we are still seeing LAG even with 5 in a room!

I forgot to add we are running Clio cup cars (standard)
also need to add 8 out of the 10 were using FFB wheels, other two on DS3's

Good. Still to be checked - what happens if mics are on.

A few series have had success disabling in-game mics and utilizing computer VOIP programs like Mumble and Teamspeak in order to effectively communicate with their drivers. And if you think about it, not everyone needs to have a mic, all you have to do is have a computer nearby and at least have headphones or speakers on so you can take instruction.

I'm planning on implementing such a process with PURE's next major series.
Credit to ErikeAndre and his Intercontinental GT500 Championship, which is sponsored by PURE (information in signature)

A test of 12 cars and no mics and we're jumping for joy??!! A good test, and thank for offering it, but hardly conclusive that the big is fixed :(

I don't take online racing seriously enough to want to do it without mics on!

Don't be happy so soon thismorning we got all kind of disconnect and nogrip problems again !

12 player room no mics no visable damage and all very fast internet connections !

My conclusion : Nothing changed still the same problems !!

Edit:

After contact with Sony nl thismorning again (following up a complaint of 3 weeks ago) they told me that they sent the complaint to PD and they are still inverstigating the problem .

Also it looked to them the players with higher bandwith (120mbit) are more affected .
This is also my expierence by the way .

Last edited:
At GBRC. We had a busy night of casual racing, lounge often had 12 + from evening till late. Was a private lounge. No lag to report full coms. Lets hope it stays that way.

Similar report from me. 450pp lounge with damage, coms, reverse grid, and 11+ drivers on the grid each race. I started at the back every race and safely worked my way through the field. No one was lagging or driving in slow-mo...but several were pubbers and their driving wasn't the best. I wasn't able to do this last week.

Lag is still present running 16 drivers at once. However, it seems the bug is gone. I think 14 drivers might be the safe choice. It could avoid the lag. Lag is one thing. The bug is another.

There has always been a lag problem when you get 16 in a room, at least in my experience, and that's probably something that just is what it is. Good to hear that the bug seems to be gone though, this is very encouraging (and surprising). 👍 We have a race tonight, I plan on letting 14 people participate, if we get that many I will report back here with results.

So it was, sorry!

If we can get 16 with no mics perhaps we can get 14 with mics :dunce:

If you had read the release notes from PD following the recent update, you would have seen that they specifically said rooms with more than 12 people using mics would experience lag problems.

Hi everybody. Long time, no post. :)

First of all props to Polyphony Digital for recognising the fault even if they haven't been able to completely resolve the issue.

Our previous test data showed the use of a FFB wheel was a larger contributor to the bug over voice chat. So it's interesting to note that only voice chat was cited in the Patch 2.04 release notes as still being a potential contributor to the bug. I'm hoping that means they've isolated and fixed the FFB wheel's contribution and now just need to work on voice chat.

I would suggest that lobbies may be fine to allow voice chat even if the room expands beyond 12 players. In my experience the voice chat bug was only present to those with their mics turned on. You could probably leave mics enabled for the lobby and leave it up to the induvidual player whether or not they choose to run the risk of suffering from the bug by turning their mic on.

Thanks cicua for your post 2.04 race replay data. Certainly a promising start. I've added a link to your data in the OP.

Progress is great, but this issue is not solved until we're able to run full rooms using mics/wheels with confidence the bug will not affect an induvidual's performance.

Lastly I'd like to once again thank everybody for their contribution. Great team effort by all involved! Special thanks to Jordan and the GTP team for providing the front page GTP news article - without which I doubt this issue would've gotten any attention from PD at all.

Cheers
MGR

I'm hoping this is now fixed for good... I've tried running tests but always ended up with 12 people in lobby at most...

Anyway great news :gtpflag:

Just a quick bug report - 15 cars, SPA, MX-5 TC.
  • Frame rates - useless. Just useless. Lap one could have been stop motion animation.
  • Tire Wear meter increased and decreased. I thought I was seeing things, but sure enough, it went down, then up. (I thought that only happened in replays?)
  • Grip came and went as it pleased, sometimes twenty times within the same corner.
  • Don't know how to explain this, but the car would just completely snap loose. Felt like the front tires were disconnected from the steering wheel.
  • Lap times were solid, though (none of that lap time glitch).

They fixed the lap times but that's it. Grip is still coming and going.

Again ICGTC had a race start with 14 racers, no frame drop, no lag, no bug just pure fun. We had one guy dropping out, but that was all him and not any GT5 bug.

I say if you have a buggy room now it's not PD's fault, but one guy in the room with a lousy upload. Fixed ownership on my 60/60mbit connection with no in game voice have solved our problem.

a 14 player room felt like a 2 player room. I'm done even thinking about the bug.

We also use Teamspeak to have voice chat because the PS3's 512mb of ram just cant handle it.. try find out why PS3 cant handle cross game chat. And turning mics off doesn't help. Disable it when starting the room does. Disable the mic is just on your side, the connection is still active so it work if you enable your microphone.

We made it work and I hope everyone else will make it work. Bug for me is all gone.

Latest Posts

Back