GT5's Game-Breaking Online Flaw (OP Updated: 11 Feb)

• Thread starter MGR
  • 1,131 comments
Team speak eh? Never heard of it. However I just checked it out. That seems idea way to go. Now before I invest gotta get a few friends on board.

Last edited:
Teamspeak have pretty much limitless possibilities. You stay on chat if you have to restart your ps3, you can make team rooms so if your racing league have teams you could have a great teamwork.
Stewards can be on teamspeak when checking replays to talk about race incidents. Also the quality is very good and the bandwidth used isn't going to ruin any fun for no one.
The only thing that actually puts a stopper to it is that people need a laptop/computer or an iPhone/Android where they race.

I just learned that Android and handsfree isn't working on voip programs so we had a user had to use the phone microphone. Cased a bit echoing. But problems are here to solved so we keep working on it.
It makes race and at least practice so much more fun when you can talk to each other.
And the client is free except for the iPhone client where its a small fee. Renting a server is the price you will have to pay. 40Dollars for a year or someone in your league with bandwidth enough could download the free server and set it up for free, like we did.

Congrats boys, we're getting some where 👍 I had a room yesterday and the only time the bug was AT ALL present, was when we had 14 people and 8 of us were using mics, it still wasn't that bad

Kaz tweeted :

"The next GT5 update (2.05), Japan and Asia on the 15th of tomorrow, have planned Europe and America on the 16th. The expectation where stability the online rises."

not sure what u read into this but it looks like the last patch was only a temporary fix to make the online bug lesser prevalant, and if the tweet is anything to go by maybe this one will fix it for good.

thumbs up to PD for stepping in the right direction
But considering they never seem to test any DLC/patch anyway who knows what little gems will turn up with this one, i dont see it fixing everything with out any other issues seeing as they are out of memory with GT5 already

There's still huge differences between free-run and in-race handling.

I had a race against 8 other people yesterday and the car handled very differently in the race than in the warmup session before.

Car was a 1980's Lotus Esprit, track was nurb, regular sunny nurb with no rain.
In free run it oversteers.
In the race it understeers, with several corners having to be taken a whole gear lower to get near the apex.

Mics were off and I use a G27.
At this stage i'm nearly ready to buy an xbox with forza.

👎

QB1o
There's still huge differences between free-run and in-race handling.

I had a race against 8 other people yesterday and the car handled very differently in the race than in the warmup session before.

Car was a 1980's Lotus Esprit, track was nurb, regular sunny nurb with no rain.
In free run it oversteers.
In the race it understeers, with several corners having to be taken a whole gear lower to get near the apex.

Mics were off and I use a G27.
At this stage i'm nearly ready to buy an xbox with forza.

👎

I don't think that's the bug, I think it has something to do with the weight if your fuel only being calculated during a race, or something like that. It's been discussed around here before, long time since I read it though so I forget the details.

I don't think that's the bug, I think it has something to do with the weight if your fuel only being calculated during a race, or something like that. It's been discussed around here before, long time since I read it though so I forget the details.

interesting, i'll look into that.
thanks.
actually, i have had many other races with this esprit and it normally oversteers like a good lotus should both in races and freerun. I've run maybe 60 races in this car so i'm kinda tuned into it well enough.
The game is still broken.

I race a lot of nascar and when you are tailing a pack of cars you get a bit of oversteer. And us nascar guys have figured throughout the life of gt5 that this is dirty air. When following behing in turns you need to stick your car out for clean air. I know it sounds stupid but this works. And this explains why people complain about the handling of their car in race compared to free run. Where in free run there is no draft applied. When we test for nascar races we free run test for handling n quali setups. And then practice test multiple laps with larger groups of drivers to fine tune handling in a draft or clean air vs dirty air. This is something to think about before everyone jumps on the no grip, bug, poor handling band wagon.

I race a lot of nascar and when you are tailing a pack of cars you get a bit of oversteer. And us nascar guys have figured throughout the life of gt5 that this is dirty air. When following behing in turns you need to stick your car out for clean air. I know it sounds stupid but this works. And this explains why people complain about the handling of their car in race compared to free run. Where in free run there is no draft applied. When we test for nascar races we free run test for handling n quali setups. And then practice test multiple laps with larger groups of drivers to fine tune handling in a draft or clean air vs dirty air. This is something to think about before everyone jumps on the no grip, bug, poor handling band wagon.
That's all well and good, but only when you have others available. Many times, the only time one can practice with draft conditions is during the race itself and, well, that really doesn't help.

Personally, I find the dirty air effect to be exaggerated. Even on slow cars, I can feel it. That doesn't make sense, but then again, I'm only a sim driver. :indiff:

I don't race online (partly because I am a VERY mediocre driver), but hope that they get this sorted soon for all you guys that do...

kenkwilinski

👍 I like it. This theory explains a lot of the things I've experienced. I encountered some situations in a race today that seemed strange at the time but are totally explained by this one theory, which is a sign of a good theory. It's also quite impressive for the game, if true.

BrandonW77
👍 I like it. This theory explains a lot of the things I've experienced. I encountered some situations in a race today that seemed strange at the time but are totally explained by this one theory, which is a sign of a good theory. It's also quite impressive for the game, if true.

There is no doubt being in a cars draft reduces your aero on the game. Many of the guys posting about the bug are completely aware of this fact.

I have also been reviewing pit stops and the game adjusts the time within itself somehow. It makes no sense. It pretty much has an error of up to 2.4sec and there's no rhyme or reason to refueling times. At daytona in free run an in lap is 1:04 and an out lap is 1:04. In race an in lap is 1:13 and an out lap is 1:04. I also timed the pit crew and it exactly takes 14sec for the pit crew to come out and change all tires with no gas. This is a 9sec difference. And there's no pit crew in free run. Also I hear drivers say you can fill up 15 liters within the time it takes to change tires. That's wrong, at 5 liters the in lap changes to 1:16. At 25 liters the in lap changes to 1:22. 30 liters 1:24. 45 liters 1:32. 55 liters 1:39. 65 liters 1:51. See no rhyme or reason. And these numbers are from various test races done on different days in different rooms. With all this data being consistant in n out. These lap times increase as there are more cars in race. This accounts for other cars in pit stalls and your car adjusting to all these factors it takes in. Also the in n out times can be reversed if your car is all the way at the end of the pit stalls. My lap times I list were all consistant with 1 player, 2 player, 3 player, 4 player, 5 player and 6 player test races.

Been hearing rumors that the bug was fixed in lounges with more than 12 racers with mics disabled. Is that so? I've not had time to test this lately and I run a series that routinely had full rooms before the bug forced a limit of 12. I don't want to open it back up to 16 racers if it will just ruin the races for wheel users.

I had a race on Sunday night with 14 cars on track and myself in the lobby. I don't remember anyone saying anything about lag. We run with heavy damage, no visual damage and mics off.

How many of them were wheel users? And there was no change from pre-race lap times to times in the actual race? At our race at Monza I experienced a ten second difference from practice and the race, effectively ending my race before the first lap was over lol.

10 seconds per lap!? I think something is wrong with your game lol.

If times were off, it wasn't by much. But the fast guys were running near their qualifying times, so I don't believe so.

Edit: Most are wheel users.

GT5 does simulate "draft" air so the car behind gets aero induced understeer.
The "no grip bug" can happen in free run and when you're leading the race.

GT5 does simulate "draft" air so the car behind gets aero induced understeer.
The "no grip bug" can happen in free run and when you're leading the race.

Ok that's good to know. Then I've only had the "bug" happen to my races two times. Not too bad really. I use a controller and lot of the guys I race use a wheel. Another thing that I encountered is I am always a half second faster in my friends open lobby for qualifying compared to my lounge or different friends lounge. Any answer to that?

WRS-Online had a great 15 driver race today in a private lounge with mics disabled (GTP WRS-Online : Event 24 : That's MonZa). See the link for the full lounge/racing options.

No bug to be found and the *vast* majority were wheel users. The quali and race lap times very comparable (see below). We had drivers from *all* over the world (see flag images in results). One driver from Poland had serious lag issues, but that was a single driver and his connection. Everyone else reported excellent racing conditions.

event24_res_eu.png

10 seconds per lap!? I think something is wrong with your game lol.

If times were off, it wasn't by much. But the fast guys were running near their qualifying times, so I don't believe so.

Edit: Most are wheel users.

No it wasn't my game, it was lag. It wasn't just me experiencing that much of a difference either, all wheel users did in that race. It's no coincidence that the ds3 racers took the top spots in that race, which almost never happens in our series. Even the ds3 racers that used a mic had lag but not as bad as the wheel users did.

^^ We are setting up a test for an upcoming event that will most certainly require mics, and we are of course hoping for a field of 16 so I'll post anything / everything that the test entailed, and what was observed.
It may not be for several days though so if anyone has any input regarding the use of mics in a full room, please post your results 👍

If our regular Wednesday races have enough drivers we will give it a shot as well.

I'm just inquiring if the GTP racers have been able to do more testing on the bug. I have tried quite a few times to create an open lobby that will get more than 12 racers but have had no luck at all in doing so. Our race this week was at 24 hour Nurb and the room was set for 16 and mics allowed. Apparently there was lag before the race even started so I re-did the room to hold 12 and no mics.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner guys,

In our Wednesday GTP_ online event (GT5 Week 25 Online: Classic Revival in Triplicate) we had 14 drivers (sprint 1) in a mic-enabled room and there were no reports of lag, or 'bug' issues from any of the drivers.
As per usual, we had a pretty good mix of wheels, and DS3's in use.

event26_res_eu.png

At this point, we are allowing 14 drivers in our lobbies with mics on for all events (up from 12). Once we have a 16 driver event, or practice session with mics enabled we will review the event session and follow up again in this thread 👍

Any of you who are interested in participating in a test of the bug/lag of the system since the last few updates please visit this thread and sign up.

Online Bug: Test Race

Looking to run a test on March 17 at 22:00 GMT. We need drivers who are willing to follow instructions and participate so we can evaluate lag, grip and general race conditions with various options.

BTW, I have noticed another problem... It might not be relevant but when I see the replay after a race, and if I have changed tyres from inside the menu rather than the options, sometimes it shows the previous tyres in the replay...

Now, I have had that issue while setting up a car and when I rechanged the tyres and got them to appear in the replay properly it was faster... In fact it was as much faster as it should be with the tyre difference. In this case it was SH and SS tyres so the difference was noticeable in the cars behaviour, which by the way was heavily tuned so it did make a difference...

Just an observation I've made but something like this would present all the symptoms of this weird online bug... Maybe something to do with the way the setup page works..?

P.S. I first noticed this while OFFLINE setting up the car...

Back