GT5's Game-Breaking Online Flaw (OP Updated: 11 Feb)

• Thread starter MGR
  • 1,131 comments
Sitting around gawking won't prove anything, wait for results or test it out yourselves..

ICGTC already turned voice off, went to fixed ownership with a great connection and had two races over the two last weeks with no problems. 13 guys racing was fun with no lag/bug. But the first lap mid pack and the guys at the back had some FPS drops.

So if they optimized it I'm looking forward to the next race, maybe we even open up for a full 16 players grid again.

Has anyone gotten the chance to test the bug? WSGTC S3 will have a test session on the 9th but maybe someone already has tested it, and I would like to know how it turned out.

Has anyone gotten the chance to test the bug? WSGTC S3 will have a test session on the 9th but maybe someone already has tested it, and I would like to know how it turned out.

We may have a chance to run a larger grid in the WRS-Online races tomorrow and maybe in the ORCA series today. We'll see how many turn up and if it's over 12 we're going to try not splitting up and staying in one lounge. We'll report some results.

But remember that one or two results, whether positive or negative, are not going to be conclusive. It's going to take a few weeks of various series running 13+ grids under varying network and game conditions to see what's changed if anything. Network conditions meaning various drivers spread at various geographic/network distances. Gaming conditions being various cars, tracks, settings (damage on/off, damage visible/not, real grip reduction, etc.) and tracks (time/weather vs standard, etc.).

We know the lag/bug happened a long time ago so it's unlikely that, even if it's been "fixed" the issue of lag is not going to disappear. What we're really looking for here is a significant reduction in frequency so it's that lag/reduced grip is the exception and not the rule which has been the case for a few months now.

I think we all know at this point not to try 16 drivers with mics enabled. Don't expect that to work. Question is can we race 16 with them off or is 14 the new "real" limit. We've been able to run 12 with mics-enabled without issue -- now the question is can we run 13-14 or should we switch to mics-disabled anytime we are more than 12... etc.

It's going to take quite a few data points to sort this out.

We may have a chance to run a larger grid in the WRS-Online races tomorrow and maybe in the ORCA series today. We'll see how many turn up and if it's over 12 we're going to try not splitting up and staying in one lounge. We'll report some results.

But remember that one or two results, whether positive or negative, are not going to be conclusive. It's going to take a few weeks of various series running 13+ grids under varying network and game conditions to see what's changed if anything. Network conditions meaning various drivers spread at various geographic/network distances. Gaming conditions being various cars, tracks, settings (damage on/off, damage visible/not, real grip reduction, etc.) and tracks (time/weather vs standard, etc.).

We know the lag/bug happened a long time ago so it's unlikely that, even if it's been "fixed" the issue of lag is not going to disappear. What we're really looking for here is a significant reduction in frequency so it's that lag/reduced grip is the exception and not the rule which has been the case for a few months now.

I think we all know at this point not to try 16 drivers with mics enabled. Don't expect that to work. Question is can we race 16 with them off or is 14 the new "real" limit. We've been able to run 12 with mics-enabled without issue -- now the question is can we run 13-14 or should we switch to mics-disabled anytime we are more than 12... etc.

It's going to take quite a few data points to sort this out.

PD, themselves, said on the changelog that running a room with mic chat enabled and with over 12 can cause problems, so I think it's a no. Text chat is the only way to go, no matter how many people you have.

The best way to test could be having a room with DS3 and wheels, people from various parts of the world, damage ON, and more. Just try to push as much as you can, have the most variety possible and see if the room holds. If it doesn't then we start removing settings one by one.

Just a thought.

Text chat is the only way to go, no matter how many people you have.

We've run races just fine all along with up to 12 and mics-enabled. We really enjoy having the mics on for our events -- in particular for pre-race practice and for drivers meetings etc. Also for major incidents during a race the admins (who are also driving) can communicate with drivers if necessary without parking and typing.

I agree with over 12 at this point it's mics-off, but in our series that's a big bummer. Online racing is a social game after all. Our drivers respect mic silence during the race so it's a real shame when we have to disable them and a lot more work for the admins.

What we've decide to do is reserve a mic-disabled lounge for our series. We do all our pre-race practice and non race day practice sessions in our main mic-enabled lounge. Then on race day if we end up with 13-16 drivers we'll shuffle over to the mic-disabled lounge and if we end up with 12 or less we just stay in the mic-enabled lounge. This also allows us to do a pre-race drivers meeting using mics while one steward goes over to set up the alternate lounge.

It's jumping threw hoops, but we like our mics. I know other series don't like/want mics and that's fine for them, but we have our own preferences and the solution we've come up with gives us some flexibility. We're also not running a points series and our numbers vary significantly from week to week. Could be 8 and could be 24... we usually have a rough idea ahead of time, but if we have 14 pre-registerred that could end up as 16 or 12 depending on last minute adds/cancels.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, but the above solution could work for series that have variable numbers of drivers and want to support mics up with grids up to 12.

Anyone know why the tire noise goes away sometimes? Keeps happening to me and it's fairly annoying.

That bug has been happening for some time. I'm surmising based on experience it has to do with how your PS3 loads the track/physics model for the lounge/car/settings and when a portion of the track-car/physics model isn't loaded correctly (due to a time out?) tire noise is not produced by the physics model. It can usually be fixed for an individual driver by exiting the lounge and re-entering and usually is an individual driver issue. However, I've seen it once where the entire grid had no tire noise and required a track reset.

It's not something that comes and goes as far as I know. It's there at load or it's not. When you reset the track it can be fixed (physics model is reloaded) or it can be fine prior to reset and bugged after a reset.

WRP001
We've run races just fine all along with up to 12 and mics-enabled. We really enjoy having the mics on for our events -- in particular for pre-race practice and for drivers meetings etc. Also for major incidents during a race the admins (who are also driving) can communicate with drivers if necessary without parking and typing.

I agree with over 12 at this point it's mics-off, but in our series that's a big bummer. Online racing is a social game after all. Our drivers respect mic silence during the race so it's a real shame when we have to disable them and a lot more work for the admins.

What we've decide to do is reserve a mic-disabled lounge for our series. We do all our pre-race practice and non race day practice sessions in our main mic-enabled lounge. Then on race day if we end up with 13-16 drivers we'll shuffle over to the mic-disabled lounge and if we end up with 12 or less we just stay in the mic-enabled lounge. This also allows us to do a pre-race drivers meeting using mics while one steward goes over to set up the alternate lounge.

It's jumping threw hoops, but we like our mics. I know other series don't like/want mics and that's fine for them, but we have our own preferences and the solution we've come up with gives us some flexibility. We're also not running a points series and our numbers vary significantly from week to week. Could be 8 and could be 24... we usually have a rough idea ahead of time, but if we have 14 pre-registerred that could end up as 16 or 12 depending on last minute adds/cancels.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling, but the above solution could work for series that have variable numbers of drivers and want to support mics up with grids up to 12.

We do exactly what you do as far as under 12 mics. on and switch to a reserve/alternate with mics. disabled for more racers. Not too much hassle but still just not right. Oh well.

I've been in several shuffle rooms this morning and it seems like when there is over 12 and there is a mic on that EVERYBODY gets booted from the room but the host. I got booted 3 times like this then I hosted a room and it ran fine up to 12 then it was 14 people and I started the race it loaded everybody to the grid then EVERYBODY was booted but me.

I don't know if the same is happening in other races but shuffles are bugging out now.

R1600Turbo
New room, changed to third track....no tire noise again.

:grumpy:

Cleared your cache? I know you probably did, and I don't even know if it'll help, but it's worth a shot.

No tire noise bug has been happening to me since VERY early on after one of the earliest updates. It sucks when you're the host, you've wated for a long time for room to fill up (hours), and then no tire noise! It's a lot harder to drive w/o tire noise too. I usually just exit and turn off GT5 after that. Happens a lot.

When we started our TVR RM series (just after the 2.0 update) we had the no tyre noise bug, fairly annoying, only with the TVR though. It hasn't happened in the V8 series I've been racing in of late(as far as I'm aware anyway).

Actually, I think the problem is something on your end, maybe a PS3/data issue.
The only rooms I've ever had it in were yours, I'm not sure how to make sense of that in technical terms, but it seems pretty common for you, and the only time I've gotten them is in your rooms.

The only thing I could think of off hand is deleting and re-installing your game data, which is fairly simple, but if you do, there's a couple things you really don't want to forget to do. Backing up any replays you want to keep, and keeping your game save data, which has been confused as "game data" in the past. :ouch:

Actually, I think the problem is something on your end, maybe a PS3/data issue.
The only rooms I've ever had it in were yours, I'm not sure how to make sense of that in technical terms, but it seems pretty common for you, and the only time I've gotten them is in your rooms.

The only thing I could think of off hand is deleting and re-installing your game data, which is fairly simple, but if you do, there's a couple things you really don't want to forget to do. Backing up any replays you want to keep, and keeping your game save data, which has been confused as "game data" in the past. :ouch:

I did all that and it never helped. I've had 2 different PS3 consoles and it didn't change then either.

I lost my replays though because I forgot they didn't get copied over when you transfer data from one PS3 to the next. Had to reinstall game but didn't think I was going to have to.. besides the point though.

I'm not against mics, actually if not abused I like them. Problem is the fact that they tend to affect the room and in that case I rather have them disabled.

Have you or anyone else gotten the time to test 16 player lobbies? Bug, no bug? I see RT having no tire noise. :( Well I only hear tire noise on street cars. Racing cars, I rarely hear any tire noise. But I never had issues with tire noise, always hear it.

I'm not against mics, actually if not abused I like them. Problem is the fact that they tend to affect the room and in that case I rather have them disabled.

Have you or anyone else gotten the time to test 16 player lobbies? Bug, no bug? I see RT having no tire noise. :( Well I only hear tire noise on street cars. Racing cars, I rarely hear any tire noise. But I never had issues with tire noise, always hear it.

Didn't run 16 in ORCA because we didn't have many guys show up. Even with a small grid though the racing quality was pretty bad. Low and varying grip, several guys without tire noise, and qualifying order completely scrambled. 👎

We'll know more after the WRS events tomorrow. Today was on Monaco and that track often has issues so hoping we have better luck tomorrow.

Do note the ORCA race is in a Private Lounge.

When testing and making notes. There should testing against open and private rooms. As well may be worth making a new room and swapping hosts, in an open lobby, to see if it changes anything as well. Loads of time to be invested. Someone from PD should be doing this kinda of thing too. Hopefully they are!

Incidentally, the PS3 4.10 update included a patch to update the PS3's time from PSN at every sign-in.

Thought that might pique the interest of the Curious Clock Conspiracy crowd. Coincidence? Clearly, can't confirm culpability.

Can't hurt, though.

Last edited:
Thought that might pique the interest of the Curious Clock Conspiracy crowd. Coincidence? Clearly, can't confirm culpability.

Honestly, having halfhearted hopes here.

However, healthy hourkeeping hardly hurts.

Latest Posts

Back