Joey's Focus Thread: Dragon Slayer

• Thread starter Joey D
  • 206 comments
Anything bigger than 17's I'm finding isn't exactly worth it due to the weight or cost. Plus after seeing more people doing aftermarket 18's and 19's on the Focus, I think they look pretty awful unless they are the handling package rims.

And the titanium coloured ones just look to odd for my tastes. I like it simple, painted silver will do the job just fine.

Just so you know, that bolt pattern and offset is used on all 1997+ Volvos, so if you want you can look for those factory or aftermarket wheels.

You need half a year and other people's opinions just to put wheels on your car.. Damn, just do something already :) PS, why ain't it low yet :)

Ford needs to hurry up and get their kit out so I can drop it a bit. I fully plan on doing it barring it isn't like $3000 for some springs and struts.

The guys in the Focus forums are running into issues with dealers voiding parts of the warranty for modifications. The only things you can put on a Ford that are OK are Ford Racing or Roush parts. The Ford Racing kit it out but no dealer seems to know where to find it. It's not online either.

bbs_cf_maa_ci3_l.jpg

18x8 +40, $380

Here's those BBS rims on the Focus.

07-ford-focus-st-r-frankfurt.jpg
Still my vote.

Have you done your research on widths and offsets that fit the car, or measured it and decided on a tight fitment? I'm not talking anything extreme here because you're not into that, but tight fitment is important even if the car is only mildly lowered because that highlights the offset gap.

You'd have to read the warranty contract. If it says aftermarket parts void the warranty simply by being installed, then that is the case.

Still my vote.

Have you done your research on widths and offsets that fit the car, or measured it and decided on a tight fitment? I'm not talking anything extreme here because you're not into that, but tight fitment is important even if the car is only mildly lowered because that highlights the offset gap.

I still don't like those rims at all, and they are going to get played out really quick since it's on the ST-R.

As for the spacing, from what I can gather on Focus Fanatics a +35 offset will make the tire flush with the fender in the front and something like +30 in the back. However, I'm under the impression that 98% of the Focus Fanatics forum is populated by idiots, so I take it with a grain of salt. I know my stock wheels are a +50 offset and that comes from Ford.

Here's a guy with Jag wheels on his Focus that have a +35, the car looks good but awkward and the same time.

i5vg3p.jpg

1w4ur.jpg

The CS5's I'm looking at at a +45 offset which should be fine, the stock offset isn't horrible so a little further out should be ok. I'm not terribly keen on the idea of spacers though, I'm sure they are fine if you buy good ones though.

And the Ford Racing kit is supposed to drop the car anywhere from .8-1", no one really has a sold answer on that. I'll cross the fitment road when it comes up.

By law they have to prove the aftermarket parts caused the failure.

I don't think it would be to hard to prove coil overs broke something in the suspension. Guys have already tried it with their Focus's and they seem to be getting a lot of flak from dealers. The dealers may be in the wrong, but it would be more of a pain to fight it.

You'd have to read the warranty contract. If it says aftermarket parts void the warranty simply by being installed, then that is the case.

Ford Racing or Roush seem to be the only kosher parts.

I don't think it would be to hard to prove coil overs broke something in the suspension. Guys have already tried it with their Focus's and they seem to be getting a lot of flak from dealers. The dealers may be in the wrong, but it would be more of a pain to fight it.

And that's why I don't buy new cars. :)

What?! I must be living under a rock I was still under the assumption you had a Mini! :lol: Great choice on the focus even though I'm almost a year late to the congratulations.

I think those Jag rims look really nice.

Maybe you need some Jaaaaaaaag rims.

photo.php

Last edited:
I'd avoid using factory wheels unless they're stellar. Some lame silver Jag wheels don't cut the cheese. They're nice and that's the problem. Stock cars have nice wheels.

From your picture I can tell that you'll want +25 in the rear, for whatever width those Jag wheels happen to be. Find that out and mathematize from there. Front, I can't really tell, but judging that he thinks the rear is flush then I'd go with a +30 for that width. Don't forget to get tires with a slight stretch.

So get some numbers here bro, make a list of sizes that will work. Gimme some tolerances to work with here. How wide are those Jag wheels? How big are they? Give us some numbers and get Alex and Cesar on the job (I'm doing homework) and we'll all go scout some rims. Hope you got money boy because you be spendin'.

EDIT: Also, consider some bolt pattern adapters from Adaptec because 5x108 blows hard. Looks like 5x108 is only used by Ford and Jaguar, wow. I suggest you get some adapters. They'll open up a world of wheel fitment to you, either geared toward JDM or Euro fitments, and you simply need to compensate for their width when choosing wheel sizes. VW and BMW guys do adapters all day. I've got a buddy with Sawblades on his E28 and Adaptec adapters.

386976_10150937078825422_507705421_21504846_1206225798_n.jpg

Last edited:
I'd avoid using factory wheels unless they're stellar. Some lame silver Jag wheels don't cut the cheese. They're nice and that's the problem. Stock cars have nice wheels.

From your picture I can tell that you'll want +25 in the rear, for whatever width those Jag wheels happen to be. Find that out and mathematize from there. Front, I can't really tell, but judging that he thinks the rear is flush then I'd go with a +30 for that width. Don't forget to get tires with a slight stretch.

So get some numbers here bro, make a list of sizes that will work. Gimme some tolerances to work with here. How wide are those Jag wheels? How big are they? Give us some numbers and get Alex and Cesar on the job (I'm doing homework) and we'll all go scout some rims. Hope you got money boy because you be spendin'.

I think they were 18 x 8 or something like that.

What?! I must be living under a rock I was still under the assumption you had a Mini! :lol: Great choice on the focus even though I'm almost a year late to the congratulations.

:lol: Thanks 👍

The Jag wheels are 18x8, +45 and wrapped with 235/40-18 tires.

The current stock wheels on my car are 17x7, +45 with 215/50/17 tires. I really want to keep the same/similar overall diameter though so it doesn't completely screw up my odometer.

As for price, really more than $300 per wheel is getting to the point of going over my budget. I have $2,000 saved up for wheels and tires and it took a while to get that. Ya, you guys probably spend more but remember I don't race or anything, just as long as they are as strong as OEM and weigh less than 22lbs I'm ok.

Also I have to have sidewall on the tires or the rims will be trashed the first season.

EDIT: Also, consider some bolt pattern adapters from Adaptec because 5x108 blows hard. Looks like 5x108 is only used by Ford and Jaguar, wow. I suggest you get some adapters. They'll open up a world of wheel fitment to you, either geared toward JDM or Euro fitments, and you simply need to compensate for their width when choosing wheel sizes. VW and BMW guys do adapters all day. I've got a buddy with Sawblades on his E28 and Adaptec adapters.

I really don't want to do adapters or spacers. Fitment isn't a huge deal to me even though I really do like the hellaflush look, I'm just not that baller.

You're not that baller maybe, but you could be. Also, I think only Cesar has spent more than 2k on wheels and tires. Im cheap like anyone else, I just don't like knockoffs.

+1 on adapters though, you could probably get some pretty nice wheels with adapters and tires for less than 2k. Its the only reason I did a 5 lug conversion. 5x114.3 gives you pretty much limitless wheel options.

So that guy with the black car is using 10mm spacers?

Also, I think 18x8 is a good size. I vote 225/45 summerish tires, which will be 1/4 taller but will have the slightest stretch to square, somewhere around there. Looking at less than $650 from Tire Rack. I'd go with SPTs or DZ101s. S.Drives are a bit over $650.

EDIT: 18x8 225/45 is the stock front fitment on E46 M3s and Genesis Coupes.

8_225_45_R18_Falken_452_595.jpg

3991208079_060fd495f1_b.jpg

3834961977_476d0e0d50.jpg

215/45 would be a better size if you plan to lower, but I guess you're not baller enough for a tiny bit of stretch eh?

Last edited:
You're not that baller maybe, but you could be. Also, I think only Cesar has spent more than 2k on wheels and tires. Im cheap like anyone else, I just don't like knockoffs.

+1 on adapters though, you could probably get some pretty nice wheels with adapters and tires for less than 2k. Its the only reason I did a 5 lug conversion. 5x114.3 gives you pretty much limitless wheel options.

I'm not doing wheel adapters since my snow tires are mounted on 5x108 rims, and from what I've seen it's not good to keep removing them and then putting them back on. I don't know much about them though, so it could all be bad information.

So that guy with the black car is using 10mm spacers?

He says he isn't using any. They are +35 straight off the Jag, and I see I couldn't type in the last post and wrote +45. :dunce: durp

Also, I think 18x8 is a good size. I vote 225/45 summerish tires, which will be 1/4 taller but will have the slightest stretch to square, somewhere around there. Looking at less than $650 from Tire Rack. I'd go with SPTs or DZ101s. S.Drives are a bit over $650.

I'm not entirely sold on 18", they weigh more and my options are pretty slim when it comes to wheels that aren't made with scrap metal in Taiwan. 17" look just fine on the car, especially if it doesn't get lowered for a while.

A lot of the Focus guys are going with the Sparco Assetto Gara, but they are gravity cast which won't stand up to anything. Plus I think they look hideous.

sparco_ag_b_ci3_l.jpg

They are also going nuts of Rotiform BLQ's, I guess they caught VW herpes.

I guess I just don't want to go to crazy with wheels, I just want something that looks decent with some good rubber around them. If they made RPF1's for the car it would be a pretty easy decision.

You can put on RPF1s with adapters. :D I don't think changing them once a year is going to be bad for the car somehow, It's like bolting on any other wheel.

NEW PLAN.

I'd really like to suggest a 17x9 with 225/45, but I'm not sure you can find any decent 17x9 wheels and still have room for an adapter behind it. You can't get concave face RPF1s until x9 width, and obviously it's not even worth buying wheels if they don't have a lil dish to them.

You can get 17x9 +45 RPF1s and still have about 15mm left for a spacer, but to do that you need to figure out if a 17x9 +30 will fit both semi-under your fenders and not crash into your struts.

This car has 17x9 +45 in the rear:

Nationals2010West.jpg

Ahhh...may I suggest Weds SA-67R?

17x7.5 means you can use your stock tire size and it will look just a bit tighter than now, 5x114 means you'll have to get adapters, and +45 means you've got tons of room left over to perfect your offset with a custom adapter thickness. Adaptec makes their adapters to order if they aren't available.

4x 215/50-17 DZ101 = $444
4x 17x7.5 +45 SA-67R = on sale for $1513 from Vivid
4x gnarly 5x108 to 5x114.3 adapters = iono but my broke friend could afford it so must not be too bad.

Might wanna raise your budget to $2500.

Might also consider some Work XT7, those will fit in a $2500 budget. 17x8 doesn't have a very deep face but whatevs. Still stick with stock tire size, still have room for adapters.

Also low. Needs low.

Last edited:
God I love the look of the new Focus. Whatever you get Joey I think it will look good no matter what. 👍

It's so easy to spend alot on wheels and tires. I think mine came out well over $2000.

Punknoodle
:guilty: $4000 all up for me, but I had to import from Japan so shipping cost is in that...

Did you get them overnighted? That alone would have made them way more cool. :lol:

Did you get them overnighted? That alone would have made them way more cool. :lol:

:lol: Now I remember that in the movie they said 15k. If it's 4k for wheels then I wonder what the hell they spent 15k on to have a supposedly fast supra.
On topic: Get some PF01s and call it a day
18_enkei_pf01_bsilver_4_w640.jpeg

or
GTC01s
1094787248_38227cb916.jpg

Last edited:
Steeda Delivers

I got my Steeda cold air intake today and quickly set to work installing it. It was a snap and only took about 30 mins to get everything assembled and hooked up. Also got a little under the hood bling too with a polished Steeda cover for my fuse box.

IMG_2119.jpg

First thing I notices was it's loud under quick acceleration and I'm not talking slightly louder, it's probably 5 times louder than it was before. It has a pretty meaty lower end grunt about it which sounds awesome under full throttle. Cruising around 70mph though I couldn't hear a thing and during easy acceleration there wasn't much noise either so it won't be annoying to live with. There is also a pretty loud whistle when I rev the engine a bit which sounds awesome.

I can't really tell if it added any power or not, it feels slightly quicker in the throttle response but that could be in my head so I don't know. Steeda's dyno claims a 10hp and 10lb.ft gain with their intake and people on the Focus forums have reported anywhere from 8-12hp and 10-20lb.ft gains. I'm sure it added something but who knows.

========

I'm also pretty close to buying some wheels too. After seeing a set of the Sparco Assetto Gara's in person they aren't ugly at all, especially if they aren't black on a black car. Also after researching some more they have TUV certification and have a pretty good rep across the internet for not being crap. The 18's weigh 19.9lbs which is lighter than the 25lbs of my 17" Titanium wheels. I can also get a really good deal on them too, which sweetens the deal even more.

I really want to do white since it seems like everyone with an MK3 Focus is going with black wheels and I hate black wheels. I think the white will look pretty good, I just need to shop around and see if Tire Rack has the best deal.

Oh and a quick shop to give an idea what they'll look like.
SparcoWhite.png

Back