**CAR OF THE WEEK! Friday 27/07/12**

McClarenDesign

Insightful, but bollocks.
Premium
United States
Norman, OK
McClarenDesign
Announcing the 25th installment of the Car of the Week series.

A chance for everyone on GTPlanet to get behind the wheel of the same car and give it a thorough going over. The aim is to get people driving what they wouldn't usually drive, or cars that may have been overlooked. They may be great, they may be terrible, but as part of GT5 they deserve discussion right here.

People can show off their amazing photos, trade tuning tips, race one another and review that weeks nominated car. Lap times can be posted, top speeds and acceleration times compared and tips on handling discussed.

We are starting to develop a brilliant bunch of regular contributors but I very much encourage everyone to get involved and have their say. Every week (almost!) a poster will be picked for their contribution in that weeks thread to pick the star car for the following week. Ask anyone that has so far been chosen to pick and I am sure they will tell you what an honor it is! So get involved and it could be you!

Car of the Week - What do YOU think of the car?

So, without further ado, this weeks star car of the week.

Anyone can be fast, given enough practice, but few can also be fast against other cars on the track. Last week, krenkme displayed his talents at an open invitational, winning the online Ginetta meet in less-than-desirable conditions.

He's also recently passed his learner's test, so congrats.

Wait, what do you mean he didn't pass?

This week's selection is a fitting tribute to a British manufacturer that is, sadly, no longer with us. Much like the tribute to Carroll for Week 15, krenkme has chosen TVR, or rather the cars of TVR, as this weeks... car. Pick a TVR, or two... or 8... take them out, and enjoy everything you are now officially missing.

tvr-sagaris-04.jpg

Image Source

And GET OFF THE SHED!

The List
1991 TVR V8S -Jennifer
1994 TVR Griffith 500 -Tracy
1997 TVR Cerbera Speed 6 -Samantha
2000 TVR Tuscan Speed 6 -Penny
2000 TVR Tuscan Speed 6 RM -Elizabeth
2000 TVR Cerbera Speed 12 -Amanda
2002 TVR Tamora -Vanessa
2003 TVR T350C -Theresa

R.I.P. TVR (1946 - 2012)

Last edited:
Ok, I'll have a go.

TVR Tuscan Speed 6 RM '00

The car as new from the dealership is a fantastic blend of speed, balance, and beauty. I mean just look at it, its a gem.
Of course as being one of the few cars in GT5 we can RM, I did it immediately. It's not that I don't like it in it's stock form, I really enjoy using the RM when I can.

Some people believe that TVRs are evil, and they just want to kill you. I agree, they can be extremely tail happy, or occasionally understeer you into a tree. This is why I've paid special attention to the tune, and here it is.

Max everything out, tires are on you...

Aero 35/60
Body/Chassis 0/0
LSD 10/40/15
Ride Height F-20 R-19
Spring Rate 10/8.5
Damper Ext 7/6
Damper Com 7/6
Roll bars 6/5
Camber 1.3/1.0
Toe -0.10/+0.20
Brake balance 7/5
Transmission Final 3.73

The aero has a massive effect in calming down the urge to drift. It is an awesome car to race with, agile, quick, and predictable. Do some warm up laps on CS tires to get a feel, then throw on some SS and have at it. I don't think you'll be disapointed.

-McClarenDesign's-

Very Serious SLS AMG Review of the Car of the Week N Stuff

"I'm afraid that if I raced you on the street I'd push you to your death."- Keiichi Tsuchiya

Week 25: The TVR Cars

Our three weeks in London have certainly been entertaining and productive, but they haven't entirely been without purpose. Sure, we've fulfilled our obligation to test and review a few cars, and yes we've also managed irritate the local constables with our late night hijinks. But we aren't here to simply muck up a few reviews... and a car... and be on our way. You see, we're on a mission from God.

Exactly three weeks ago we were finishing up our review of the Supra, assisting our man Ken with loading his equipment, when one of the track officials gave us the news. Had it been 5 minutes later, we would've already been gone, blissfully ignorant and patting each other on the back for a job well done... even though it went to (expletive). Instead, our night went from miserable to insufferable when we were told that TVR was no more.

Actually, TVR hadn't died as a company, and would still continue. Instead of building cars, they've decided to focus on wind turbines, and what the kids are calling "green technology." So rather than actually dying, what I heard was TVR had contracted gonoherpasyphilscabAIDS, and was in the final throws of a very long and agonizing withdraw from the living.

To The Pain.

"To the pain," means the first thing you lose will be your feet below the ankles, then your hands at the wrists, next your nose. Tongue? No, the next thing you lose will be your left eye, followed by the right . Then the ears? Wrong! Your ears you keep, and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish, every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out: "Dear God, what is that thing?" will echo in your perfect ears. That is what "to the pain" means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery, forever.

SpecialStageRouteX-14.jpg

Jennifer

First Carroll, and now this. To be honest, I was tired of eulogies after our first, but at the same time I'm also honored to be asked to do it again. Rather than just dive in, our new sponsors have paid to have all 8 of our cars shipped from across The Pond, each lovingly wrapped in the finest and most durable bubble wrap T OMG! Enterprises felt affordable, and to them our sincerest thanks.

The check is in the post, right?

According to Polyphony Digital via Translator-san:
Translator-san
TVR saw rapid growth when businessman, Peter Wheeler, took the reins of the company in 1990 following the release of the Griffith. However, there were still fans of TVR that felt that the company's real image had been lost and fretted that the sports cars envisioned by Trevor Wilkinson would no longer be produced. But those doubts were largely erased when the TVR V8S was introduced.

The TVR V8S was a true sports car, with a backbone frame and thick, welded steel pipes providing structural stability. The suspension system consisted of double wishbone suspension systems at front and rear, giving it amazing cornering prowess. Mounted behind the cabin was a 4.0-liter V8 that pumped out 240 HP, making the lightweight car a virtual road rocket. Thanks to its flamboyant-yet-classical body style, which was reminiscent of sports cars of the 1950s, this vehicle became very popular among TVR lovers.

Later, it went on to attract the attention of the general public with its various body styles, and even when TVR gradually increased engine power, the structural foundation and suspension were left almost untouched because it had been so thoroughly engineered at the start. The admirable steering effort that garnered the phrase "a car for real men," was also left intact. Thanks partly to the TVR and others that demonstrated a genuine interpretation of the enthusiast spirit, England came to be called the "home of the sports car."

What possesses a man to wake up one morning and say to himself "you know what, I sure enjoy my car... I think I'll buy the company"? I certainly understand man's love affair with the automobile, but to paraphrase Beyoncé, enough to put a ring on it? Of course I'd leap at the opportunity to swoop up a well-to-do mark like Ferrari or Nissan, but a failing one?

I suppose, technically, I wasn't given the choice, but this is different because national politics aren't involved in the TVR deal, nor is the company nearly as large as GM or Chrysler. I suppose a better comparison would be more like waking up and buying Saab, but I'm not a dentist or an architect, and I actually like it when other cars do what Saabs don't... work.

To try and find out what recreational drugs Peter Wheeler was on when he decided to purchase TVR, we've assembled our collection for testing, analysis and as a tribute to a fellow that surely must've been as bonkers as the cars he built. To aid in our quest, an elite group lads from the local TVR club have agreed to join, albeit under the condition of anonymity. Thus, their names and likenesses have been altered to protect their identities. As for our useless-monkey driver...

Performance as Purchased: April 10, 2011, Silver Stardust Metallic (Grey)
Displacement: 3,950 cc
Max. Power: 232 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 262 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Drivetrain: FR
Length: 4,013 mm Height: 1,250 mm Weight: 1050 kg
Tires: Sports (Hard)
Performance Points: 444
Mileage: 6,469.3 mi.

The first car unwrapped was the lovely 1991 V8S. Shortly after Wheeler took over TVR, many voiced their concerns that TVR would start producing different cars than they had traditionally. This car put those fears to rest, easily fitting in with previous cars from TVR, as well as others of its genre like the Alfa Romeo Spider from Week 2. If the badges were removed and the cars given to the general public, they'd be hard pressed to tell them apart. The automotive equivalent of the Pepsi Taste Test.

Once unwrapped, the TVR technicians went about restoring months of neglect. Despite the insanely low mileage, we simply hadn't driven the car much since taking delivery over a year ago. Although the car was in great condition, 17,500 Cr. were lightened from our wallet, along with another 29,500 Cr. for a full body restoration. TVRs aren't exactly known for their reliability, and our diligence was rewarded with 19 more hp, 21 extra ft-lbs. of torque, and 11 added Performance Points... According to Google, those points are similar to CDs and cassette tapes, but you can't trust anything on the internet nowadays.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 251 hp, Max. Torque: 283 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 455 PP

Lucky for me, our useless-monkey test driver was.. well, me. Our Royal Prince Producer thought it only fitting that I take over the useless tasks normally done by useless drivers. As I was shutting the door of the V8S, I heard him mumble something that sounded like "poetic justice", but I couldn't be sure. Lights out, throttle down, and 0:14.218 later I was at the end of the quarter-mile, eclipsing 60 mph in just 0:05.746.

Useless monkey my (expletive)!
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:34.924, 0-100 mph: 0:13.383, Max. G-Force: 0.72G, Top Speed: 160.9 mph

KartSpace-1.jpg

Tracy

Like its contemporaries, the V8S wasn't exactly fast, but then again it didn't need to be. As we've proven before, you don't need 9,000 bhp to put a smile on your face, and the V8S does that while remaining stylish and sensible. It's the "and" that fans of TVR were concerned about, and sure enough, it soon became "or".

Three short years later, TVR had to progress to keep up with the times, and in doing so released the Griffith. "There, you've had your car, now shut up!" No longer content with the V8S simplistic styling, the Griffith began the feeling-out process, whereas most larger companies would just as soon spend millions in marketing and research.

Once unwrapped, it's hard to think of any focus group given this to ponder. Amongst a group of complete strangers, men would be 87% more likely to get an erection, while women would be found 74% more likely to faint from the sudden surge of hormones. Teenage boys with the Griffith on their walls went through puberty overnight, while the girls who rode in them vacated their virginity as fast as the car could accelerate.

Translator-san
When Peter Wheeler was appointed the president of TVR in 1980, a major change occurred. The company that had been founded by Trevor Wilkinson shed its traditional line of lightweight sports cars in favor of limited-production high-performance sports cars. the vehicle that symbolized this new philosophy was the Griffith, released in 1992.

With it's long nose and short front and rear deck, the Griffith was a roadster of classical proportions, but its styling was modern, indicating that TVR was adapting to the times. The body was composed of a tubular frame skeleton with FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic) body panels.

The engine was originally a Rover-built 4.0-liter V-8 that produced 271 HP, but TVR increased displacement to 5.0 liters, bumping output to 320 HP and 319.9 ft-lb. of torque. The new more powerful version was known as the Griffith 500. Because the soft-top convertible Griffith 500 weighed only 1060 kg, it possessed awe-inspiring performance. Top speed was rated at 168 mph, and it ran from zero to 62 mph in 4.1 seconds. To accommodate this power, the car was equipped with a sport-tuned double wishbone suspension system at all four corners, and stopping power came via ventilated disc brakes all around. Providing grip were 225/50ZR15 tires up front and 245/50ZR16 tires at the rear. The Griffith was discontinued in 2001, replaced by a newer generation of TVR machines.

If I could choose only one word in the English language to sum up this car, it would be "want." Looking at it before me, I want one. I want to rip the plastic from the seats, leap in, and experience the speeds at which the car looks like it's traveling, despite it standing still. One glance along the fenders, and your eyes are immediately drawn to the tires, only to make sure the car isn't traveling at Mach 2. Is the wheel blurred? No? You're safe.

Performance as Purchased: April 19, 2011, Space Blue Pearl (Blue)
Displacement: 4,988 cc
Max. Power: 337 hp @ 5,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 346 ft-lbs. @ 3,000 rpm
Length: 3,892 mm Height: 1,205 mm Weight: 1060 kg
Performance Points: 493
Mileage: 4,358.0 mi.

While I daydreamed and salivated, the TVR Club went about it's business, someone went about and pick-pocketed another 17,500 Cr. for the engine restoration, and 29,000 Cr. for the body. In its place was a receipt, along with instructions on where the list of repairs could be found, which wouldn't fit in my pocket... or a filing cabinet. On the upside, the club gave us an added 20 hp, 22 ft-lbs., and 9 Performance Points... which can't even be given away for free now.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 357 hp, Max. Torque: 368 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 502 PP

Once Israel and Palestine had reached an agreement, it was my turn behind the wheel, strapping in with puddles of drool pooling in my lap. Throttle down, and the quarter-mile was a memory in 0:12.930, with 60 being reached in only 0:04.712. Unlike the V8S, this had the speed to match its looks, and frankly didn't care if you used it then because it knows that you eventually will. Like it or not, your foot will get heavier.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:31.420, 0-100 mph: 0:09.787, Max. G-Force: 0.75G, Top Speed: 188.7 mph

EigerNordwandShortTrack-2.jpg

Samantha

If the Griffith was the first sign of a change within TVR, then the Cerbera cemented it. No longer content to stick with the tried-and-true British tradition of roadsters, TVR instead gambled on the 2+2 layout, or 2 adults + 2 children (if you really have to). On top of this was the top, now actually part of the car.

By this point, our Mr. Wheeler had also become involved with the design of the car. I suppose that's the luxury of owning your own automobile company, but asking a chemist to design a supercar is bound to yield results based on its pharmaceutical ingredients. In the case of the Griffith, and now the Cerbera, chemicals had to be involved. Now I'm not saying that the distinguished owner of TVR was a drug user... I'm saying that the person in charge of telling the distinguished owner of TVR "no" was on drugs.

Translator-san
When the Cerbera was unveiled at the 1993 Birmingham Motor Show, it caused a major commotion, wowing all who were present with its slick 2+2 layout and radical styling. Legend has it that 276 orders were placed on the spot.

The Cerbera came equipped with an example of one of the company's first engines built in-house. Under the hood of the performance-minded Cerbera Speed 6 was a 4.0-liter inline-6 rated at 350 HP and 328.9 ft-lb. of torque. It came mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. And because this FR (Front engine, Rear drive) car weighed only 1130 kg, the Cerbera possessed awesome on-road performance. Not only did the car go fast in a straight line, it turned with the best of them, thanks to a traditional double-wishbone suspension system all around.

But the Cerbera Speed 6 was tame when compared to the Speed 12, presented at the 1999 London Motor Show. The Speed 12 had almost as much impact as a new model. The main skeleton consisted of steel pipes, but the floor and bulkhead were made of aluminum honeycomb panels. The most impressive thing about the car was its engine, a 7730-cc V-12 that cranked out a whopping 800 HP. This allowed the Speed 12 to reach a top speed of 240 mph and run to 62 mph in 3.5 seconds.

When viewing the evolution from the V8S to the Cerbera, it's like watching the 90's play out all over again. The V8S is Bleach, the Griffith Nevermind, and our Cerbera is In Utero. Meanwhile the excesses of heroin and dotcoms have warped the concept of a small British sportscar maker into a British supercar contender. So much for being confused with Triumphs.

Performance as Purchased: December 24, 2010, Pathfinder Blue Pearlescent (Blue)
Displacement: 3,966 cc
Max. Power: 334 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 315 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,280 mm Height: 1,220 mm Weight: 1130 kg
Performance Points: 489
Mileage: 8,469.3 mi.

Once again, our anonymous group of gearheads went to work removing the packaging, and bringing our beloved Cerbera back to life. This time, however, our problems were even more extensive. Remember, the finest bubble wrap our sponsors could afford... so toilet paper, really. After spending 39,500 Cr. on the body and 23,500 Cr. on the engine, we were rewarded with 32 hp, 30 ft-lbs., and 14 more Performance Points, which nobody gives a crap about anymore anyway.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 345 hp, Max. Torque: 357 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 503 PP

Inside the new car, I'm struck by the fragrance of fiberglass and resin. How can this odor linger here for so long, and how can I get rid of it? Rather than roll down the windows, I exchanged the scent for that of burning rubber, as I find that smell much more aesthetically pleasing. Once grip was established, I rocketed up to 60 mph in 0:04.767 and finished the quarter in 0:13.020, just a tick under the Griffith.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:31.359, 0-100 mph: 0:09.867, Max. G-Force: 0.73G, Top Speed: 190.8 mph

TwinRingMotegiEastCourse.jpg

Penny

Next up was yet more evidence of some sort of psychedelic drug use. The Tuscan Speed 6 signaled the resurgence of TVR, and further legitimized the maker as a supercar contender. For those put to sleep by the latest Lamborghinis, there was this, guaranteed to pick up girls faster than a British teenage pop-rock group. Is your Zonda boring? Try the Tuscan!

Inside is more of the same, provided you can actually figure out how to get into the car in the first place. Trying to figure out the controls and switches required three hits of LSD, but I couldn't be bothered because I'd have to drive... and god knows what this car would be like on that! Instead, I read a Cliffs Notes on the owner's manual, and jotted down instructions on a piece of paper.

Translator-san
TVR, a name derived from the first name of founder Trevor Wilkinson, is noted for making high-performance specialty cars, British coachworks style.

the company's first production car, the Grantura, made its debut in 1958, and featured the skillful combination of components from existing production cars such as Volkswagens and Austin Healys, wrapped in a sporty, head-turning body style.

Another model was the Tuscan that, despite its racing struggles in the 1960s, was resurrected in 2000, armed with a bevy of new features. the 2-seat 2-door car didn't look at all like its predecessor and had a detachable roof, making it look as good as a convertible as it did as a coupe.

Its eye-catching interior, highlighted by a wild face, makes the car look big, but in fact, the car possessed modest dimensions. it had overall length, width, and height at 166.7 inches, 71.2 inches, and 47.2 inches, respectively. The wheelbase stretches to 92.9 inches. The Speed 6 got its name from the number of cylinders in the engine.

Two inline-6s were available; one a 3.6-liter, the other a 4.0-liter model. The latter featured the day's racing technologies, including dry sump lubrication. Output was rated at 360 HP and 310 ft-lb. of torque, and when this power was coupled to the car's lean 1100 kg body, the Speed 6's acceleration was impressive to say the least. It sprinted to 62 mph in less than 4.0 seconds, making it one of the quickest cars of its day.

Those of you old enough may remember this car being featured in the movie Swordfish, but it isn't likely. Instead, you probably saw the car featured in the trailer, with John Travolta gallivanting about like some sort of Scientologist Templar with an assault weapon. But don't let that deter you, the car is actually quite good. The movie, however, is absolutely rubbish and best avoided like the plague.

Performance as Purchased: January 26, 2011, Chameleon Blue (Blue-ish)
Displacement: 3,996 cc
Max. Power: 350 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 299 ft-lbs. @ 5,000 rpm
Length: 4,235 mm Height: 1,200 mm Weight: 1100 kg
Performance Points: 496
Mileage: 0.0 mi.

Under the bonnet, there thankfully wasn't much for the TVR boys to do. The electrics checked out, the tire pressures were good, even the windshield washer fluid was topped off. A glance at the odometer revealed this little Tuscan was as fresh as a virgin, and only required an oil change and a wash. Chalk up 18 hp, and 7 PP, although the extra Performance Points are about as useful as a DVD rewinder.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 368 hp, Max. Torque: 315 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 503 PP

After two more agonizing hours, I'd finally figured the car out, and was ready to roll. When given the signal, I tried to launch with as little drama as possible, but the car would have none of it, surging forward through gear after gear. Despite my gentle approach, I managed to nick 60 mph in 0:04.518 and the quarter in 0:12.829. This was all well and good, but now comes the hard part... getting out of this damn thing.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:31.172, 0-100 mph: 0:09.602, Max. G-Force: 0.82G, Top Speed: 183.0 mph

SpecialStageRouteX-15.jpg

Elizabeth

Last week we mentioned that all British cars are assembled in sheds, and that TVR was the "shed you couldn't get out of." Well I think we just proved that with the Tuscan, but to give us another go we've brought out the Race Modification version. One of the benefits of being built in a shed is the cheap overhead costs, leaving more money to pursue racing.

As with last week's shed-built car, TVR offered its customers the opportunity to take their cars racing, even storing and preparing the cars for the customer. One of the men helping us today was an engineer for TVRs racing program, and has developed a special tune that will deliver a top notch result...

Or it could explode.

Translator-san
This is the Race Modification version.

Thank you Translator-san. A very astute observation.

Translator-san
Don't start.

Compared with the road car, we get 45 more horses and 24 more twists, despite ditching 215 kilos. Failing that, they've also added a giant rear wing and given it plenty of stickers, including my name underneath the driver's window on the door. A nice touch from some great fellows. Cheers!

It really is a shame we can't take this proper race car on a proper track, but if Bernie Ecclestone gets his wish, we may end up here again only on a new grand prix circuit. And why not, they got the Olympics!

Performance as Purchased: February 12, 2012, White (White with stickers)
Displacement: 3,996 cc
Max. Power: 395 hp @ 7,300 rpm
Max. Torque: 323 ft-lbs. @ 5,300 rpm
Length: CLASSIFIED Height: CLASSIFIED mm Weight: 885 kg
Tires: Race (Hard)
Performance Points: 562

One the bubble wrap was in the bin, our producer and I helped the TVR men clean and polish the racer before our run. Each of the vitals were checked and rechecked to ensure absolute perfect working order, and our anonymous crew chief assured me that no extra performance advantage could be had. Anything that could be on the table already was, and a fresh coat of wax would ensure the slipperiest of surfaces.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: GDP of Denmark: US$ 321.027 billion (2011 estimate), Lifespan of a Jellyfish: few hours to several months, Teatime: 4p local

Inside the race car, I was strapped in so tight I could hardly breath. Once the engine was fired, the noise was incomprehensible! I could scarcely hear anything being yelled directly into my helmeted ear, which resorted in using impromptu hand signals that would make Helen Keller proud. Thanks to the grippy tires, I was able cover the quarter-mile in 0:12.069, and reached 60 mph in just 0:04.136. Absolutely bonkers!

London-3.jpg

Amanda

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, if there ever was a case for rampant drug use within the decision makers at TVR, this is it. Designed to compete at Le Mans, someone had the brilliant idea of actually okaying this for production, at least initially. Upon completion of the first road car, Peter Wheeler drove the car home... then promptly declared the car completely unusable. All that energy and money, and all for naught.

Well, one got out.

Do not, under any circumstances, let the styling of this car fool you. Yes she can exceed 200 mph, yes she is very quick, but she will also kill. Low, sleek, and in a stunning shade of red, it's next to impossible not to be seduced into some form of suicidal lunacy. Zombifying bath salts mixed with LSD, silly mushrooms, ecstasy and god knows what else have been distilled into something with a red dress... that wants to eat your brains.

Translator-san
Don't look at me, you've got the same thing here as you did for the Speed 6. I thought you were supposed to be "insightful".

I've about had it with.. Anyway some lunatic decided it was a good idea to pursue speed with an absolute fanaticism. And absolutely no idea what they were doing. The car is too wide, it's turning radius is the same circumference as Rhode Island, and every time you come close to it's top speed you have to apply the brakes. I can think of only three roads on the planet where this car could be driven. They're completely straight, out in the middle of nowhere, and have nothing anywhere remotely around them.

Performance as Purchased: January 27, 2011, Formula Red Pearlescent (Red)
Displacement: 7,730 cc
Max. Power: 838 hp @ 7,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 680 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Length: 4,620 mm Height: 1,160 mm Weight: 1020 kg
Performance Points: 640
Mileage: 140.2 mi.

Another problem with having a car like this is the constant upkeep. To prove that TVR was a traditional supercar manufacturer, the Cerbera Speed 12 required months of maintenance just to get started, never mind the cracks in the chassis that had to be patched, and the engine tuned for the humidity of the air as well as our altitude. Without the TVR Club, our Speed 12 would be a Speed Zero. Keep in mind, this wasn't cheap; to the tune of 129,500 Cr. for absolutely no performance gain what so ever. The sponsors are going to love hearing about this the next time they view our expense report.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Defending Stanley Cup Champions: Los Angeles Kings, # of Thompson Twins: 3, Duran +/- Duran: 0

"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way... turn." Those were the words of advice given to John Cusak in the 1980s classic Better off Dead, and right now they seem rather appropriate. Of course, they were spoken by a man who had just snorted pure snow (no, actual frozen water, snow) and thought he had frozen half of brain.

With infinity before me, I roar over the lines in 0:12.022, and hit 60 mph in 0:04.935. I was expecting something a lot more, but to be honest the RM was more frightening, and a touch quicker. Instead of the advertised 3.5 seconds, we were a full 1.435 slower, and nothing could be done about it! Worse still, we were promised a top speed nearing 240 mph, but we were nowhere near close. Foreshadowing?
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:26.094, 0-100 mph: 0:08.077, Max. G-Force: 0.69G, Top Speed: 221.8 mph

With millions blown on the Le Mans project, TVR needed a bit more stability. To do this, they designed a new entry car using bits laying about the factory and within Peter's head. Since purchasing the company, the chemist had become quite the designer by now, even after Swordfish, proving that a great many mistakes can eventually be forgiven.

Building ones cars in a shed allows for a certain flexibility, and working with fiberglass means you can quickly and easily change the shape of a car with minimal fuss. Just make a few molds, readjust a few components, perhaps change the interior, and all of sudden you've got a brand new car bringing butts into your dealership.

How hard can this be?

Bern-MarketStreet-3.jpg

Vanessa

Translator-san
TVR's entry-level car, the daunting Chimera, was a tough act to follow because of its widespread popularity. But TVR was up to the task, and produced the open-top Tamora.

Major mechanical components like the chassis and suspension were shared with the Tuscan coupe, but the Tamora exuded a very different air, characterized by a more classic-looking body style. This body style was defined by the car's long nose, which made the Tamora seem larger than it actually was. In fact, the Tamora wasn't that much larger than the Mazda MX-5.

Housed under its hood was a 3605-cc DOHC inline-6 developed in-house. It was packed with innovative features like a dry-sump lubrication system, an electronically-controlled throttle, and a variable induction system. It produced 345 HP and 290.0 ft-lb. of torque, making it equal in output to the company's heralded Cerbera Speed 6 power plant, a 4.0-liter inline-6. the gearbox was a 5-speed manual. the car was equipped with an integrated limited-slip differential, while 225/50ZR16 tires around 16-in. wheels provided grip. Those who wanted a bit more bling could opt for 18 in. alloys.

Thanks to the car's lean curb weight of about 1100 kg, the Tamora possessed world-class sports car performance. It ran from zero to 62 mph in 4.4 seconds and reached a top speed of 174 mph.

Just like its styling suggested, the Tamora was a pure driver's car. It shunned high-tech gadgets such as ABS, traction control and other aids, leaving the driver in complete control of the car.

4.4 seconds and 174 mph? After having just failed to reach the advertised numbers of the Speed 12, how am I supposed to buy that? Are you sure you read that right?

Translator-san
You keep this up and you'll be doing this all by yourself. I could be working on Gran Turismo 6, you know.

Performance as Purchased: April 20, 2011, Reflex Purple (Purple?)
Displacement: 3,605 cc
Max. Power: 335 hp @ 6,500 rpm
Max. Torque: 281 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Length: 3,925 mm Height: 1,204 mm Weight: 1060 kg
Performance Points: 493

After so many hours worth of work, and very few breaks, it's obvious that morale has suffered. A few of the wives from the crew have brought drinks and snacks, but still they toil on while we argue amongst ourselves. With sunlight only hours away, we've racked up quite the tab in overtime expense alone. Thank god for T OMG! Enterprises, and the financial assistance they've provided along the way. Their funding bought us 16 hp and 8 more Performance Points... but they can keep those.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 351 hp, Max. Torque: 295 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 501 PP

With only a few hours left, I can see the sunlight approaching the horizon. Already the sky has began brightening, albeit subtly. Provided that we have no major missteps, we should be able to conclude our testing before anyone notices. One more car, one more run down the track, dusting off the quarter at 0:12.860, and sprinting to 60 mph in 0:04.514. Fair enough, Translator-san, you win this round.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:31.379, 0-100 mph: 0:09.761, Max. G-Force: 0.81G, Top Speed: 181.6 mph

SpecialStageRouteX_1-9.jpg

Theresa

In July of 2004, Peter Wheeler sold TVR to Russian Nikolay Smolensky to for the low, low sum of $15 million. As with any transition, there were fears that the factory would be relocated, but those were initially quelled, and production continued at the Blackpool factory. In addition to the Tamora, TVR unveiled the T350, retaining nearly all of the dimensions of the Tamora.

I guess at this point the question becomes more about the wealthy in general. Why hasn't Warren Buffet or Donald Trump purchased an auto manufacturer. Surely they could've picked up either General Motors or Chrysler for pennies on the dollar. The answer is simple; both Warren Donnie have sense... and/or better drugs.

Translator-san
In an era when most British car makers were actually owned by huge conglomerates outside of the UK, such as Ford and General Motors, TVR stood out as one of the last remaining pure British car companies. and the company represented its country well, producing exciting sports cars with world-class performance. In 2003, TVR took the veils off the T350C, a swoopy, curvaceous sports car, based on the convertible Tamora.

The T350C demanded attention, with a distinctive face, highlighted by two large headlights. The rear end was equally stunning, characterized by its L-shaped taillights. The car was relatively compact with an overall length, width, and height of 154.5 inches, 67.5 inches and 47.0 inches, respectively, making it about the same size as the Mazda MX-5. Wheelbase was 92.9 inches.

Powering the rear wheels was a front-mounted 3605-cc DOHC inline-6 that produced an impressive 350 HP at 7,200 rpm and 290.0 ft-lb. of torque at 5750. When this power was combined with the car's lean 1187 kg, the results were something to behold. It ran from zero to 60 mph in a scant 4.4 seconds and reached a top speed of 174 mph. Shifting was performed via a 5-speed manual gearbox. The car also came equipped with an integrated limited-slip differential.

Safety wasn't ignored when developing the T350C, as it featured a side-impact bar. But performance and style were the main reasons for buying a T350C; you could even fully customize the interior to create your very own personalized sports car.

What I love most about this car is that it's styling brings back a fashionable sense of reason. That's to say, "I may be bonkers, but I'm no raving lunatic". It's small enough to be comfortable, and just stylish enough to get noticed. No more of the Courtney Love "Look at me!"-ness, then, but definitely enough to catch the eyes.

Like seeing Heather Graham at a diner. She'll catch your eyes, but in that setting, you won't dare make a fool of yourself. Or worse still, her.

Well, you wouldn't. We can't make such promises, because we screw up just about everything.

Performance as Purchased: February 24, 2011, Starmist Blue (Blue)
Displacement: 3,605 cc
Max. Power: 330 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Max. Torque: 274 ft-lbs. @ 5,500 rpm
Length: 3,925 mm Height: 1,195 mm Weight: 1187 kg
Performance Points: 480
Mileage: 16,635.6 mi.

Once the bonnet was lowered, the TVR titans bit their goodbyes, and retreated back to their homes for some much deserved rest. Before they left us, they'd managed to coax 35 extra hp and 14 more Performance Points... points that have absolutely no point whatsoever. Regardless, we appreciated their work, and they appreciated 59,000 Cr. more from us. All said, we'd (and by "we" I mean our sponsors, T OMG! Enterprises) shelled out over 345,000 Cr. for their assistance.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: Max. Power: 251 hp, Max. Torque: 283 ft-lb., Max. Performance Points: 455 PP

Finally, the last TVR, and just as the sun is ready to rise. With haste, I'm sent blazing down the track. In a moment of panic, I try to slow things down rather than speed them up. Take in the moment, enjoy the shifts, feel the power. Remember, TVR isn't with us any more. This will be the last time... and then it's over. 0:13.068 in the quarter-mile, and just 0:04.763 to 60. A touch slower than the Tamora, but I don't mind because I wanted this moment to last.
For those keeping score at home, other notable data includes: 0-1 mi.: 0:31.994, 0-100 mph: 0:10.186, Max. G-Force: 0.78G, Top Speed: 154.8 mph

Spending all this time with the TVRs, you begin to understand exactly how difficult the challenges are when you're a small maker. John DeLorean showed us in Week 7 that even the right connections won't always get the job done, while Ginetta showed us that sometimes all you need to do is stay within your niche.

It's a shame, really, that TVR couldn't manage to remain competitive in their niche. Changing markets, globalization, and economic downturns have forced the company to turn its back on history, and instead look towards the river of money that flows into "green technology". As with any foreign concept that I don't fully understand, I'm immediately against it, but at least I have good reason.

Can you honestly imagine a world without the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Hunter S. Thompson, or Courtney Love? Okay, Courtney, maybe, but drugs have enhanced our lives in more ways than one, although often times with tragic consequences. TVR was no different. After getting a free sample in the 90s, it quickly blossomed into a full time junkie by the new millennium, only to crash harder Chesley Sullenberger.

Maybe tomorrow I'll wake up and win the lottery. If I do, I know what I'm buying first.

Week 1: 2001 Alfa Romeo Spider 3.0i V6 24V

Week 2: 1966 Alfa Romeo Spider 1600 Duetto
Week 3: 2000 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX (S. Shigeno Ver.)
Week 4: 2007 Audi TT Coupe 3.2 Quattro
Week 5: 1983 Nissan Silvia 240RS (S110) and 1985 Nissan 240RS Rally Car
Week 6: 1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
Week 7: 2004 DMC DeLorean S2
Week 8: 1971 Nissan Fairlady 240ZG (HS30) and 1971 Nissan 240ZG (HS30)
Week 9: 1985 Lancia Delta S4 Rally Car
Week 10: 1991 Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II and 1992 AMG Mercedes-Benz 190 E 2.5- 16 Evolution II Touring Car
Week 11: 1999 Lotus Motor Sport Elise and 1996 Lotus Elise and 1998 Lotus Elise Sport 190
Week 12: 2001 Audi RS4
Week 13: 1968 Isuzu 117 Coupe
Week 14: 1969 Camaro Z28 and 1969 Camaro Z28 RM and 1969 Camaro SS
Week 15: The Shelby Cars
Week 16: 1979 Honda Civic 1500 3door CX
Week 17: 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Week 18: 1967 Prince Skyline 2000GT-B
Week 19: 1967 Toyota 2000GT
Week 20: 2002 Audi S3
Week 21: 2004 Oullim Motors Spirra 4.6 V8
Week 22: 1988 Toyota SUPRA 3.0GT Turbo A and 1990 Toyota SUPRA 2.5GT Twin Turbo R
Week 23: 1998 Mini Cooper 1.3i
Week 24: 1964 Ginetta G4

*The views and opinions expressed in this editorial do not reflect the views and opinions of gtplanet.net, any of its members, nor anyone with an IQ above 3. All views, comments, statements, accusations, claims, data... you know what, just forget you read the whole thing and direct your hate mail/Tame Racing Driver applications, to McClarenDesign@gmail.com. For ticket information, please include a S.A.S.E. NOT FIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION. The statements made above are similar to your parents; both are fictional. May cause rash or skin irritation. :gtplanet: This ad paid for by Friends of Global Morals support for presidential candidate Jenkins. :gtpflag: GTKitty4Prez :gtpflag:. Please consult doctor before use. Some assembly required. Wardrobe provided courtesy of Gieves and Hawkes. McClarenDesign registered very serious SLS AMG. DO NOT ATTEMPT. Consult manual before use. Your mileage may vary. Some restrictions may apply. Parental supervision is advised. Offer valid with approved credit. All trademarks and copyrights used without permission, because this is a parody and an act of free speech. Reviews may contain natural and artificial flavoring. Please rinse after use. This product is not guaranteed to cure baldness or any other medical condition. All stunts performed on public roads without law enforcement supervision. Void where prohibited. All terms and conditions are subject to late fees and penalties. All your base are belong to us. See store for details. If not entirely satisfied, please return unused portion for a partial refund. Sorry, no C.O.D.s accepted. Offer not valid to those that breathe air. Photos shown with optional equipment. If you've made it this far, it's too late to stop now. May cause drowsiness. Check your local listings for times and dates. Some portions of this show have been filmed before a live studio audience. By blinking, you agree to all terms and conditions contained within. + us on Google+ N Stuff! McClarenDesign is not an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Ed. Note- R.I.P. TVR (1946 - 2012)
Best wishes and a Godspeed recovery to: Maria De Villota and TurismoM.G!.

Last edited:
I've got some speed figures for you guys on the T350C.
0-60mph: 4.764 seconds
0-100mph: 10.189 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 13.069 seconds
0-1 mile: 31.997
Max G Force: 0.78 G
Top speed: 154.8 mph

Here's some from the Cerbera speed 6:
0-60mph: 4.769 seconds
0-100mph: 9.960 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 13.045 seconds
0-1 mile: 31.485 seconds
Max G Force: 0.73 G
Top speed: 190.0 mph

And some from the Cerbera speed 12:
0-60mph: 4.991 seconds
0-100mph: 8.134 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 12.078 seconds
0-1 mile: 26.150
Max G Force: 0.69 G
Top speed: 221.8 mph

Some for the Tuscan speed 6 RM:
0-60mph: 4.081 seconds
0-100mph: 7.954 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 12.015 seconds
0-1 mile: 29.201 seconds
Max G Force: 0.81 G
Top speed: 178.5 mph

Tuscan speed 6:
0-60mph: 4.455 seconds
0-100mph: 9.539 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 12.766 seconds
0-1 mile: 31.111 seconds
Max G Force: 0.82 G
Top speed: 183.0 mph

Tamora:
0-60mph: 4.546 seconds
0-100mph: 9.793 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 12.892 seconds
0-1 mile: 31.413 seconds
Max G Force: 0.81 G
Top speed: 181.6 mph

Griffith 500:
0-60mph: 4.750 seconds
0-100mph: 9.863 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 12.977 seconds
0-1 mile: 31.512 seconds
Max G Force: 0.75 G
Top speed: 188.3 mph

V8S:
0-60mph: 5.786 seconds
0-100mph: 13.509 seconds
0-1/4 mile: 14.264 seconds
0-1 mile: 35.041 seconds
Max G Force: 0.72 G
Top speed: 160.7 mph

These readings were taken with the car stock, after having an engine overhaul and an oil change. Tires were sports hards.
Special thanks to Woodski_427 for lending me the 2 TVR's I did not own so I could complete this list. :D

Last edited:
Heading out on a road trip with my wife and kids, so I look forward to reading everyones reviews, and thoughts on this great manufacturer.

Thank you for letting me pick this weeks car(s). I hope you all enjoy. :cheers:

Who would have guessed my driving "skill" would have won me anything? :scared::lol::dopey:

Sorry Mc,
I'm out of the office this week, just wanted to give a quick review and share a tune. Will be back next week!

I was hoping that someone would suggest TVR as the COTW, as I was in shock when I heard about it's demise... a great loss IMHO. Hopefully they will live on in future versions of Gran Turismo.

:cheers:

Have a good one

Splendid choice old chap.

Hehe, more British shed-built plastic cars using borrowed go-bits. 👍

I use a Tuscan as a 500pp go-to car - nice drive as it's not overpowered.

I thought the Tamora was a revelation (for a TVR) - if anyone hasn't tried it I highly recommend giving it a go. It comes with SH stock and I thought it had good grip and balance. Good fun on the Nordschleife as it's easier to handle than some of the others, can be understeery into a corner.

I need to send the wife off with Mr Grey a couple of nights this week so I can get at the TV and drive them all 💡

I've got some speed figures for you guys...

Sadly I do not own the other 2 TVR's. :( If any member of GTP would be willing to lend me them, it would be greatly appreciated. :D

I think it's fair to say they are all fast!

I'm pretty sure I've got them, I can put them on share tomorrow a.m. if you want.

edit: @MclarenDesign - in the OP you've got the Speed 12 as a Tuscan, but it's the loony Cerbera.

Woodski_427
I need to send the wife off with Mr Grey a couple of nights this week so I can get at the TV and drive them all 💡

Make sure to have your lawyer check over the contract first.

Woodski_427
I think it's fair to say they are all fast!

I'm pretty sure I've got them, I can put them on share tomorrow a.m. if you want.

If you wouldn't mind putting them on share, that would be great thanks :) send a FR to porthillking, and i'll accept once i get back to the ps3. :)

I finally have a working PS3 again and I look forward to participating in the COTW from now on. Great choice with the TVR's. I have all of them I believe and will put them on share, just send a fr if you would like to drive one.

I have a really good tune for the T350C in my garage, if I do say so myself... :embarrassed: Krenkme thinks so too! :lol:

/plug

I love TVR's, they're like semi-guided missiles wrapped in fibreglass with the exhaust turned up to 11.5. The Tamora doesn't seem to wan to turn though, no matter what I do to it...

trackripper123
I have a really good tune for the T350C in my garage, if I do say so myself... :embarrassed: Krenkme thinks so too! :lol:

/plug

It's true. Very good tune [/endorsement ]:dopey:

I love these cars. Some of my favorite to drive in the game. Even though I'll be home after this weeks choice is up, I may have to "bump" it and show my appreciation for this great manufacturer.

Have a great day! :dopey:

It's true. Very good tune [/endorsement ]:dopey:

I love these cars. Some of my favorite to drive in the game. Even though I'll be home after this weeks choice is up, I may have to "bump" it and show my appreciation for this great manufacturer.

Have a great day! :dopey:

All Car of the Week threads remain open, specifically so that those who have missed out can still participate, even as far back as Week 1. No one should feel bad about bumping.

Depending on feedback and suggestions, I may go back and offer a "director's cut" version of my reviews, giving a brief synopsis and showing the examples of running gags and Easter Eggs in my reviews that carry on to this day. Who knows.

Something else I'd like to point out is that next week is the thread's 6 month anniversary. As such, I've got next week's choice already sorted, so the winner of this week will be selecting the Car of the Week for Week 27. You have been warned, so good luck.

Enjoy your trip, krenkme. We'll see ya when you get back.

NinjaMike808
What's with the girl's names? I'm gonna have to go collect all of these cars finally.

Gone In 60 Seconds. The remake with Nick Cage, not the original.

And welcome to GTPlanet.

Gone In 60 Seconds. The remake with Nick Cage, not the original.

And welcome to GTPlanet.

I thought so, but where do you get the names from? I don't remember seeing TVR on the board, do we just make it up as we go? If so, I want my Accord to be named something slow but efficient, like a typical mom-name.

And thanks!

Ooh. My book of 'Dream Cars' and 'Fast Cars' has the Griffith in. Mind if I share the info from that?

Oh, and a little fun fact for you - my grandad used to be good buddies with Trevor Wilkinson. :sly:

wolfdragon97
Ooh. My book of 'Dream Cars' and 'Fast Cars' has the Griffith in. Mind if I share the info from that?

Oh, and a little fun fact for you - my grandad used to be good buddies with Trevor Wilkinson. :sly:

Go for it, and that's awesome! Get us a story, if you can.

Last edited:
Go for it, and that's awesome! Get us a story, if you can.

I'm off to see him on Wednesday. I'll try to get a story! :D

TVR Griffith

1991%20TVR%20Griffith%20Roadster%20f3q.jpg

The British sports car manufacturer TVR was founded in 1946 by Trevor Wilkinson, who very early on started making two-seaters with glass-reinforced-plastic bodies over tubular-steel chassis. The company's first production car, launched in 1954, was the Grantura, and it was superseded in 1980 by the very angular, wedge-shaped Tasmin. In the meantime, an American dealer had been experimenting with fitting a big-bore AC Cobra engine into his TVR Grantura. His name was Jack Griffith, and when, many years later, TVR first put a big V8 into one of their production cars, they named the car TVR Griffith in his honour.

The car was first unveiled as a prototype at the 1990 British Motor Show, where it was an instant success. It had the appearence of a traditional British sports car, with clear influences of both the Jaguar E-Type and the AC Cobra in its smooth and curvaceous composite body. The style was clean and uncluttered - the door handles and boot catch were concealed to avoid interrupting with the fluid design, for example. It's appearance was both aggresive and elegant, and it's proportions were near perfect.

1991%20TVR%20Griffith%20Roadster%20Fv.jpg

The original plan had been to modify the existing chassis of the TVR V8S, but it simply wasn't stiff enough for the performance TVR had in mind for the Griffith, so instead, TVR adapted the much tauter chassis of the TVR Tuscan Racer. All-independent suspension was essential, and TVR chose unequal-length twin wishbones, with coil-over adjustable telescopic shock absorbers with anti-roll bars front and rear. With it's wide track and massive tyres, the Griffith offered excellent grip and viceless handling in the dry (though it could be more than a handful in the wet!) that was well capable of transmitting the V8 engine's power to the road. Reassuringly, the huge ventilated disc brakes front and rear performed as if they had been designed for the race track.

At first, TVR used the Rover 3.9-litre V8 engine in the Griffith, though over the years this was uprated to 4.0 litres and later to 4.3 litres. Later still, in 1993, TVR developed their own 5.0-litre version of the Rover V8 - the Griffith 500 - and by this time it was producing 335bhp at 6000rpm and 475Nm of torque at 4000rpm. The power output was later reduced to 320bhp to provide smoother idling and to make the car more driveable at lower speeds. Even the earliest Griffiths had a top speed of just under 150mph/241kph and acceleration from 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds, which made them faster in terms of acceleration than either the Porsche 911 or the Ferrari Testarossa, two of the Griffith's contemporary competitors. The Griffith 500 was even quicker, taking just 4.1 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60 and continuing to a top speed of 167mph/269kph.

ocean_haze_griff_600x401.jpg

Quite apart from it's out-and-out performance, what was special about the Griffith was it's carefully tuned big-bore stainless-steel exhaust system, which did more than just optimise performance, it also emphasized the magnificent roar of the V8 engine, which became one of the car's hallmarks. The Griffith stayed in production until 2002. The final 100 examples were badged SE (Special Edition), and these had a different fascia and rear lights and new door mirrors, and each was individually numbered.

The Griffith was very successful, despite it being an uncompromising prospect. For those who wanted a little more practicality - a bigger boot and softer, more compliant suspension - TVR developed the Chimaera, a model that was just as fast as the Griffith but a little less brutal. But the Griffith remains, meanwhile, a wonderful, timeless classic.

000-05.jpg

R.I.P. TVR
1946 - 2012

Woke up this morning, drinking coffee, viewing the mountains, and reading about TVR. Today is going to be a good day :dopey:

Have a great day everyone :cheers:

Am looking forward to trying out all of these tonight. The Tamora has been a favourite for a while and I've tried (not very successfully) to use the Tuscan for drifting.

Is there any particular track everyone is using to test these on? I'd like to record some laptimes andd use the same track for all the cars.

Cheers

iainn
Am looking forward to trying out all of these tonight. The Tamora has been a favourite for a while and I've tried (not very successfully) to use the Tuscan for drifting.

Is there any particular track everyone is using to test these on? I'd like to record some laptimes andd use the same track for all the cars.

Cheers

Try the RM Tuscan for drifting.👍

Why not make a call on a track. Maybe somewhere to stretch their legs a bit? Not London:lol::banghead:

Back