PURE | SPEC || Triplets ||| SuperSic is the Spec racing champion

• Thread starter Dr_Watson
  • 469 comments

What is your preferred start time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good racing everyone. Big đź‘Ť to tony for running the triple and grabbing the bonus points on the first weekend.

I'll have all the results up online tomorrow sometime.

Wish GT5 wasn't such a bug fest though. My condolences to anyone like me that spent the entire afternoon without tire sound or was pushed on time due to the early delays. We ran about 30 minutes longer than I expected but the first one is always rocky. Things will smooth out in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys, it was really fun! No tire sound was strange though. Hope I can keep up with some of you guys the rest of the season.

Thanks a lot guys, it was really fun! No tire sound was strange though. Hope I can keep up with some of you guys the rest of the season.

You came out of nowhere and did that well on bugged tires. I have to say that's impressive.
Welcome to alien fest 2012. đź‘Ť

The next GT5 patch can't come soon enough.

Well done đź‘Ť

I had a lot of fun, good battle each race (and I lost all of then :dunce: )

Race 1 was my favorite, good car, good battle, good track = great race. I didn't have a very good Q lap because I overdrove T1 each time. Got my act together in the race.

Race 2 had an "OK" Q lap, I was up by +.03 in T1 on Tony's 43.3, I matched his T2 once but I couldn't put it all in 1 lap. In the begining of the race I felt I could hold on for a top 5 (avg'ing 43.8ish I think) but my driving style didn't agree with the tires and I had lost a much of grip by lap 8. Dropped like a stone. Finished lapping high 44s...

Race 3 was as follows:

Corner entry: UNDERSTEER!!!! Where did I put that E-brake?
Corner exit: OVERSTEER!!! Where did I put the rear tires? Felt like it was on rims :lol:

Good battles on track though đź‘Ť

With all the aliens in the field, I'm going to need to find time for practice. I struggled in each race, especially the first.

Corner entry: UNDERSTEER!!!! Where did I put that E-brake?
Corner exit: OVERSTEER!!! Where did I put the rear tires? Felt like it was on rims :lol:

Good battles on track though đź‘Ť

haha... The California is a strange beast indeed. You have to grab it by the scruff of the neck and shake all the speed out of it. When I had 1'24 pace in practice it was a ball, one of those cars that gets more fun the harder you drive it.
This is hand-crafted racing as the handling even fits into the triple; mx5 understeer, s2000 oversteer, ferrari understeer-in : oversteer-out

:sly: đź‘Ť

With all the aliens in the field, I'm going to need to find time for practice. I struggled in each race, especially the first.

I'll probably do the shakedown on Thursday this week.

Thanks for the races today guys! Mad respect for the organization, I'm not familiar with all the bugs in GT so those were a bit of a nasty surprise, but waiting to start never hurt anyone :P

I had an overly eventful past 2 days and totally lost track of this, should definitely be a go for next week though. :)

I had an overly eventful past 2 days and totally lost track of this, should definitely be a go for next week though. :)

cool, cool... be ready; our new faces are quick; and there's a lot of scary names out there. ;)

Here's the preliminary results.

results1.jpg

Thanks for the races today guys! Mad respect for the organization, I'm not familiar with all the bugs in GT so those were a bit of a nasty surprise, but waiting to start never hurt anyone :P

Glad to have you aboard; you had great pace out there against some of the best opposition we can muster.
Coming from iRacing though this platform probably seems like a nightmare :lol:

GT's online network is *fair* at best. But we try to make the best of it, there are plenty of tricks we've picked up to try and avoid as many bugs as possible.
That tire-sound bug is a bad one though. The only cure is to back out, go into the settings, clear the network cache, and rejoin.
Which wouldn't be terrible if people going in-and-out of the cloud network didn't cause other bugs (like the timing screen not working). And then of course the host can't do that and rejoin with host control.

So if we're all careful and treat the online system like a fragile little egg we can still get some fun in. đź‘Ť

Last edited:
For the record, I'm not counting that 14th on my stats due to incorrect start procedure. :sly: :lol:

it started me at the back in race 2. :sly:

---

lining up on a clean rest for the ferraris worked though... so even if it disrupts the flow of things I'll probably have to start doing track resets and a line-up between Q1 -> R1 and Q2 -> R2.

Sorry I left, my girlfriend wanted to argue with me which made me crash.... was looking forward to the last race but hey never mind.

Sorry I left, my girlfriend wanted to argue with me which made me crash.... was looking forward to the last race but hey never mind.

and people say texting and driving is dangerous...

Sorry about running off like a baby after the first race yesterday :guilty: I came in a bit unprepared (particularly when it came to reading a few details of the starting procedure) and it really ended up biting me in the arse once I faced a few unforseen glitches & connection issues along the way.

Once Tim gave the o.k. to enter the track for the first race, I entered but the screen froze on me for a good amount of time unfortunately. I was unaware that the false start penalty was on prior to the start of the race (stupid me :ouch:), so by the time my screen unfroze and I was on track, there was only 1-2 seconds before the red lights went out (meaning I never saw the on screen message to keep my brakes on :indiff:). As soon as I false started so clumsily, I was pretty ticked off and drove off the course like an angry drunk (as I've done so many times in league races that went sour) until I was just about in last place or thereabouts :lol: At that point I calmed down a bit and decided to carry on and at least had a good time trying to work my way up through the field, although I somewhat destroyed my front tires trying to setup overtakes along the way.

So then qualifying for the 2nd race came around and I had realized that I had mistakenly done a game save after doing a race with the S2k a day or 2 prior. Being that we had a short break between the 1st and 2nd race, I figured I would have time to go pick up a new S2k and do an oil change to be on equal footing with the rest. But when I tried to enter the room again, I had a network compatability issue and had to restart PS3. So by the time I finally got back in the room there wasn't much time left to qualify, but I was going to see what I could do. Of course my ignorance bit me in arse again, as I forgot that Tim opted to run sports hards (not comfort softs which come standard) on the S2k, so I did like 2-3 laps flubbin around wondering where my pace went...and by then qualifying was over and it was too late :lol:

From there I decided to show myself the door, as I had already set myself up for a poor qualifying position for not only the 2nd race & the 3rd race, but was likely to face a rather frustrating 2 races of damage limitation on a track which isn't exactly easy to overtake on. Waking up at 5 a.m. to watch F1 qualifying didn't really help my patient or resolve either lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to explain myself a bit, although in the end it really came down to my procrastination to read each & every rule thoroughly.

But wow...this is sure going to be an intense series up and down the grid...which I'm sure looking forward to đź‘Ť Will be great to battle (or at least attempt to) my good friend Tony as well as mega drivers like Adam and many other familar and new faces :cheers:

Totally understand TA, we all have bad days. You get a drop round so you're still in the game. I had a good time fighting with you in the mx5 so it wasn't a total loss đź‘Ť

I'm going to make a small tweak to the procedures for next week to hopefully dodge more bugs and make things move along more smoothly. I'll post formal instructions in the OP but after getting some input from other's and thinking about it I'm going to split the qualifying on short tracks so that it's two 1/2 field 5 min session rather than one 10m with full traffic. Less laps, more pressure, but less traffic so less frustration.
Also gives people a chance to do resets or whatever to deal with tire noise issues. This way we can continue to make progress while some are having issues without me having to give anyone a short stick due to GT5 internet.
I'm also going to be resetting the track and doing a line-up before each race just to make sure we don't get blown grids, and that also gives people another window to do a quick e-brake test to see if they're tires are messed up.

... next patch can't come soon enough.

But we can work through it. đź‘Ť

I've got the web programming done for the series management so I dumped all the results up at PURE HQ
- just need to go through the replay for fast laps etc... and get gator up as a part-time sign-up so I can put him into the results.

Also after much deliberation I've made some changes to the OP rule book. The points scheme was updated to a more standard points model, It's a hard fight for every position so they need to all be rewarding on the scoreboard. I've also adjusted the qualifying rules so we can tiptoe around the bugs and cut down traffic on the smaller tracks.

We'll be running the split-session qualifying at clubman 5 so give it a glance.

-- Tim

Good video, covered the front and the back.
đź‘Ť And on a side note, man, T/A did a great job coming up thought the field.

Looks like tons of fun! Looking forward to Saturday! đź‘Ť

Thanks, and yes he did... none of us made it easy for him. ;)

now...

Turn up the wick a bit more with Race 1.2

HD Link

Last edited:
Enjoy 12 minutes of hot action from race 1.1
Worst race I've ever had. I was so not ready. :dunce:
now...

Turn up the wick a bit more with Race 1.2
Redeemed myself, somewhat. Got ahead of Travis only to make a mistake right after. Did the same thing during the last race too. :ouch:

Still need to look at the actual replay to learn a few things. Oh, and thanks for the clips, Tim. However, I think I can put together a better soundtrack. :sly: :lol:

Looks like tons of fun! Looking forward to Saturday! đź‘Ť

I appreciate having it set up this way, otherwise Im sure I would be running a few ponies short as I really never break my cars in before races like these. Especially when we are changing every week. đź‘Ť

Worst race I've ever had. I was so not ready. :dunce:
Redeemed myself, somewhat. Got ahead of Travis only to make a mistake right after. Did the same thing during the last race too. :ouch:

Still need to look at the actual replay to learn a few things. Oh, and thanks for the clips, Tim. However, I think I can put together a better soundtrack. :sly: :lol:

lol... I just dump random songs on my ps3 off the media server (which has much TB of music)... you got something against gypsy punk? Actually went kinda well with the insanity of that s2000 race. :sly:

you got something against gypsy punk? Actually went kinda well with the insanity of that s2000 race. :sly:
More of a matter of preference. I've played lots of older racing games with funky, techno rock, so that's what I'm used to. :)

I put some hardcore industrial french techno behind race 1.3 for you.
It's an improvement, a small one, but then again, I'm picky. :lol:

After watching that clip, though, all I can say is that I must be the new tire-wear king. I have so much rubber left at race end compared to everyone else. :eek:

It's an improvement, a small one, but then again, I'm picky. :lol:

After watching that clip, though, all I can say is that I must be the new tire-wear king. I have so much rubber left at race end compared to everyone else. :eek:

:lol:

interesting with the wear... Not like you were going easy on them fighting with carracer.

Back