PURE | JGTS2-Congratulations to champions tony1311 and team Xanavi Z!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 4,065 comments
R1600Turbo
I spent some time last night raising the gear ratios, lowering the accel LSD, increasing the braking LSD, added some rear toe and fiddled with the downforce some. It's still tail happy but better than when I started. In fact, it understeers a tad on entry. I'll keep that in setting A, and add yours to setting B and give it a shot. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Still angry about last night, don't feel like driving the car for a while.
The setup I sent you is pretty stable on exit. The issue was sudden wheelspin after 16-18 laps, even with using a higher gear. With the draft, my rear wear was even worse.

If I could fix that, then I should be okay.

36.8 with a lap that won't be replicated I'm sure. If I could only figure out how not to lose time one the last sector... My Sectors 1 and 2 are mediocre but my Sector 3 is downright bad. Or that's how I feel it. If I could get 36.8 on qualifying (won't happen) I'd be happy. But as I've just said, won't happen.

It's really hard to nail a full lap. A low-Mid 37 should make D1 I guess.

EDIT: Rich, I put your time in to the site as "1:37.199". Will change it once Dom post the exact time.

For reference, Tony ran a 35.8 in the HSV. And that's Tony.
Biffy is my team mate and all, but I doubt he match Tonys time concidering Tonys pace in general, and the fact that Biffy is a tad rusty cause of a significant time away from GT5.
I hope he can reach a 35.. Ofc.

Biffy, PM me your setup!! :lol:
My best is a 37,034.. Going to practice more prior Q

haha yeah I was being very optimistic :P I hadn't seen any of the aliens' times, and I'd only run a few laps that didn't feel very fast, so figured it'd be reachable with a perfect tune. Low 36's are much more realistic, and that's with a very good tune which I can't seem to fathom, currently sat at 36.818 for a PB.

Gonna withheld my setup for now Dennis, it doesn't drive very well and I think you'd be able to cook up something better.

I got something cooking actually.. I'm tweaking a setup at the moment.. Got some (HSV specific) tranny problems to sort though..
Will PM you once I find something you might like. 👍

That NARROW powerband!!! :banghead:

Last sector is hard because the track is so wide. Its difficult to drive the same line on two laps in the last two corners.

Done a couple of 1'36.4, but I will not get that in qual. I'm happy if I get a 1'36.x

that sounds familiar.

BTW after triplets finale on Saturday I'll be turning the room into JGTS Quali if anyone in triplets wants to practice and quali Saturday evening.

That would be great. Mark me down for that. Or maybe even possible before the Triplets...? (both would be fine)

That would be great. Mark me down for that. Or maybe even possible before the Triplets...? (both would be fine)

Before I'll be warming up the Lambos ... no need to confuse my brain with race tires and downforce before hand; gotta keep Travis from gaining +3 pts on me. :nervous:

Just a tip to the Z-drivers.. Was watching the pre-season replays earlier this week, and noticed that you wait for the shift light before shifting.
The powerband of the Z is really wide, and if you look closely, the power drops towards the end (as for all cars), but for the Z, it's early. Try shifting @ 6500 RPM instead of waiting for the shift lights. 👍

I did an acceleration test a few weeks back and found that the best shifting point for share acceleration was around 6500.

Hm, does that go for GT-Rs too? 'cause I try shifting at 7k (noted peak hp) every once in a while just to try (I've been doing this on and off for the longest time) and it seems to be slower...

Just a tip to the Z-drivers.. Was watching the pre-season replays earlier this week, and noticed that you wait for the shift light before shifting.
The powerband of the Z is really wide, and if you look closely, the power drops towards the end (as for all cars), but for the Z, it's early. Try shifting @ 6500 RPM instead of waiting for the shift lights. 👍

I did an acceleration test a few weeks back and found that the best shifting point for share acceleration was around 6500.

I don't watch the RPM meter, I shift by sound. Much harder to do with a short shift.

Hm, does that go for GT-Rs too? 'cause I try shifting at 7k (noted peak hp) every once in a while just to try (I've been doing this on and off for the longest time) and it seems to be slower...

In most cars, you need to shift after peak bhp.
You want the highest average output on your wheels.
If you shift @ 7000 RPM @ 513 bhp, you'll end up lower in the powerband when the next gear is in, compared to if you pass the peak bhp before you shift.
In the later example, your next gear will start pulling your car with a higher effect = better acceleration.

If the powerband completely died after peak bhp, your way would be the best, but it does'nt.
Here you can see a picture of how to change gears to achieve optimal performance.
Basically, when you leave the i.e 3rd gears powerband, and jump on to the 4th gears powerband, you want to end up at exactly the same bhp level on the new gear as you had on the 3rd gear before shifting.

F309A743-F5BF-4715-8BBB-59D540400029-5032-00000760530CB7A3.jpg

I don't watch the RPM meter, I shift by sound. Much harder to do with a short shift.

Ok. But it's still faster. There's a specific sound @ 6500 RPM as well. Try it. 👍

Last edited:
Started a new room for a bit, gonna be in and out of it a lot. Here's the number:
1472 6681 3716 3556 3227

I have been short shifting from 2-3 to help with wheel spin. Will try, thanks.

Short shifting in the Z is more likely to increase wheel spin since it's so strong.
You'd need to short shift the short shift if that makes any sense.

No you be making no sence.... Glad I don't drive that :P.

Paul, you're driving a car that is the complete opposite to the Z in terms of powerband.

If you look at my picture a few posts up, you'll get the idea.
It's all about keeping the highest possible average bhp output in the rev range allowed by your gearbox.

Been working just fine. :confused:

Then you're probably low enough when short shifting. No worries then. 👍

EDIT: Just spoke to Dom about Rich's (outlaw4rc) quali.
1:37.189 clean
Quali sheet updated. 👍

Last edited:
There is a notable sound in the Z at 6500 rpm, I suggested this to outlaw last night. The difference between shifting at the red light, and shifting at 6500 rpm will be about 2 full tenths on a long straight track like Fuji.
Plus it's the easiest 2 tenths you can find on a racetrack.👍

My PB in the HSV is 36.5 atm, but it feels like I'm on the edge of around 36.0 if I can start getting my lines better this weekend.

HSV tune:
PL @ 99.3%, 513HP
Aero: 40/49

reset gearing to default
set top speed to minimum
set gears
final 2600

lsd 8/14/5

ride height 2/10
springs 17.1/17.2
ext 9/8
comp 6/7
arb 5/5

camber 2.0/1.0
toe -0.05/0.00

bb 4/4

Last edited:
Group A :: indy pre-season

pole time was a 1'28.6 or 8 maybe?
no idea what the spread was but I know I wasn't more than a few tenths off in 5th... think I did somewhere near 29.2 or 3 ... anyway... starting order was:

1. GTP_Welsh-Bain
  2. johnkiller2
  3. GTP_Litchi
  4. skengdigi
  5. TnJF
  6. Paginas
  7. OwensRacing
  8. GTP_PaulMac
  9. cam_frm_nj
  10. GTP_Padded_Cell
  11. PureGT_Kevin
  12. GTP_ealirendur

finishing order was:

indy_pre-season.jpg

finally got around to going through the replay; pretty good race... for the first 19 laps there wasn't more than a 3s gap from 1st to 5th. Then tire wear started to take it's toll and we ended up in more 1 on 1s for the finish. No idea what happened to the HSVs they were always in my mirrors at the back of the lead-train until the very end.

FYI, I'm practicing for the Triplets race on Saturday, but if someone needs a steward or someone to practice with, let me know here or via message. 👍

reset gearing to default
set top speed to minimum
set gears
final 2600

I think I got my aero and general setup pretty good, but I'm defenetly going to try that tranny.
Have been trying really hard with getting it right without success so far.
Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks Dom! 👍

Owen crashed T1 and I hit his back end.... Look how slow HSVs were at Indy :(. (We need boosten :P)

paulmac2k9
Owen crashed T1 and I hit his back end.... Look how slow HSVs were at Indy :(. (We need boosten :P)

Paul fwiw my name is Jeff Owens, not Owen. LoL

Tony clicked off 25.9x with it. I do believe he clicked off 25.7 in his GT-R. I did get it down to bottom 27's before dropping. Just wasn't feeling the car over all. If I didn't like where I'm at team and car wise. I'd consider Mule's offer. I have a real soft spot for the Toms Castrol Supra. ;)

- IMPROTANT HSV INFO -
I'd say 598 pp and only using the aero. As well pick one HP, KG, and PP, use the figures that allow the highest aero at 598pp. This would be simplicity for drivers and hosts.

If you dont agree with this in any way please respond.

Thank you for reading and considering this idea.

Back