◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,414 comments
In most racing, your not sitting in your living room enjoying a cold one either. And actually Nascar racers can communicate with one another as well.

I guess I will start muting more and more racers... I think most are not the problem, and I also see the positive side of this, so not a big deal with me leaving it as it is. 👍

Yes. It's an issue. I've only won a handful of races with SNAIL and all but one or two were won starting from pole position. Drafting during qualifying is cheating, so it's an issue.
Apmaddock,

In this scenario who should be penalized:

1. I leave 5 seconds between me and the driver ahead
2. I catch the ahead driver on the straight and gain a draft because he does not pull over

I have benefited, I have gained the advantage why should I not be penalized?

I understand the rules and have no problem with them as they are the rules. I just don't think we need them unless we are running an oval. In sportscar racing drafting can and does happen in qualifying. No one gets penalized for it.

just my 2¢

In most racing, your not sitting in your living room enjoying a cold one either. And actually Nascar racers can communicate with one another as well.

Not anymore. They communicate through their spotters.

An ex-racer I know is always trying to put slipstream on strong to make it more realistic. I keep telling him even weak slipstream is too much. My back ground is 1/4 mile so I have no idea really.

There is no need for an official policy or rule. The facility already exists in the game for you to mute every single player you chose to. Yes, it's tedious to use it but it's there.

We have a private discussion on that topic (really cordial).

I'm happy to read other drivers complaints about these annoying situations. But the solution Dragonwhisky suggest is ignoring the problem and throw away a good communication tool.

Apmaddock,

In this scenario who should be penalized:

1. I leave 5 seconds between me and the driver ahead
2. I catch the ahead driver on the straight and gain a draft because he does not pull over

I have benefited, I have gained the advantage why should I not be penalized?

I understand the rules and have no problem with them as they are the rules. I just don't think we need them unless we are running an oval. In sportscar racing drafting can and does happen in qualifying. No one gets penalized for it.

just my 2¢

Pull to the other side of the straight so that you don't gain a draft. If the ahead driver continues when someone has caught up to him the penalty is on him. If you "ride the draft" down the straight you're subject to a penalty, as well. Nobody is innocent. It's not hard to either maintain a gap or avoid the situation.

It's nigh-impossible and completely unnecessary to compare SNAIL qualifying to any real life race qualifying. The physics of drafting in GT5 are different. We race cars of nearly every performance level. Drafting in a real life sports car race with high speeds of 110 isn't going to change much. Drafting with the Camaro RM at Daytona in GT5 will.

The rule is that there should be no drafting during qualifying. Follow that.

good point :sly:

Its just.. lets just say competitive racing sometimes does not bring out the best in some of us :D. I am all for it in between racing when in lounge and its easy to mute audio in lounge.

No worries, looks like most are against it and want open Mic during racing. I just have report after race, if somebody goes on potty mouth rant during racing. :D

Drafting at Daytona is difficult to determine when qualifying. I know coming into the second sector I was .238 ahead of the first guy and then the next time marker I was a half a second behind with no mistakes on my part. Sorry but there's no way I lost seven tenths of a second in one sector Only thing would be drafting to make up time. Hard to police it and in real life qualifying you qualify with everyone else on track and aren't penalized whether or not you get a draft. Touchy situation.

GumballCGT
Drafting at Daytona is difficult to determine when qualifying. I know coming into the second sector I was .238 ahead of the first guy and then the next time marker I was a half a second behind with no mistakes on my part. Sorry but there's no way I lost seven tenths of a second in one sector Only thing would be drafting to make up time. Hard to police it and in real life qualifying you qualify with everyone else on track and aren't penalized whether or not you get a draft. Touchy situation.

I had pole and I had no draft on my pole lap. There was someone ahead but I pulled off of his line to make sure I got no draft. I'm guessing I got through the chicane better which didn't show the time difference till the next sector. Either way my lap was clean and free of draft.

I think most of the qualifying issues can be minimized by the qualifying process we've used occasionally in D3 (and a couple of the other divisions as well I believe). That process is to simply have everyone form a single-file line at the first turn immediately after they exit pit lane to begin qualifying.

Once the line is formed, the driver in the front of the line begins qualifying and the driver behind him counts to 10 before hitting the gas. Wash, rinse, and repeat until all drivers are qualifying.

The reason this helps remove the "gray area" during qualifying is because everyone knows that everyone on the track has given the driver in front of him the proper buffer. Therefore, if any driver ends up with another driver in his draft, it's automatically the lead driver's responsibility to pull off the racing line and concede the position on the track.

Granted, this process takes more time than simply letting everyone "have at it", but for tracks that are prone to produce drafting issues (like Daytona Road Course), it might not be a bad idea.

Is voice chat allowed during racing?

Is there any ruling on the usage, It will be nice to have only steward can use voice chat during racing. Even if somebody has incident, Its unfortunate but there are others still racing on the track.

Handlebar-Man does a great job of hosting, multitasking while racing. I don't envy his job at all :lol: He even gives us points update after each race, where does he find time :D

wanted to say "Thanks for flying SNAIL airlines, your host and steward was Handlebar-Man" :cheers:

I had to chuckle at this, and also cringe a little bit.

In D5, this week there was less talking during the race. On good weeks, it's reasonably quiet, and most talking is of the "On your left..." or "Sorry for the nudge, take your position back..." variety. On other weeks, the talking can be a distraction. With less communication, I felt there were some hot-under-collar issues that could possibly have been mitigated. More communication (not cursing/bragging) is more polite, in my experience.

At times, when it's quiet, and I'm Oh-So-Out-of-it-again in another race, I will talk with another driver. This week, I lamented our racing with canucklehead, new to D5, as we compared our (in)ability to stay on the racing surfaces in the last two combos. While I enjoyed his company, I realize the conversation could have been a distraction to the more successful drivers.

I try to temper the driving/director's need to communicate, and the need to maintain a social atmosphere. I've muted myself at times when I've lost my cool, but the goal is for everyone to have fun. I can only control myself and my responses, but I know that my words also can influence others. I'll strive to be more positive influence, especially mic wise.

You may now tilt your seat back, use your seat tray, open a beverage, and tune into GT Academy 2012. Momentarily, we will resume our current course, we're on a 720 degree spin, and you'll see Trial Mountain out the right window... no, the left.... no, the right one again.... Heck, you know what I mean. :dunce:

GumballCGT

I had pole and I had no draft on my pole lap. There was someone ahead but I pulled off of his line to make sure I got no draft. I'm guessing I got through the chicane better which didn't show the time difference till the next sector. Either way my lap was clean and free of draft.

untitled-1o2qfr.gif

As to Open Mic and Race Chatter -
I will always turn the volume off on chatter and mute my own mic during each and every race. Focus is my primary goal and difficulty while racing - probably the reason I am in Div 5.
Then, at the end of each race, I turn up the Chat volume so as to hear Directions or Comments from the race - or to apologize to a specific driver about a race incident that I am sure it was my fault.
I was told once that turning off the mics, etc. provides for more bandwidth (?) and better racing. Not sure, as I really don't know anything about that sort of thing.
Just sharing my thoughts
Tex

"That's not champagne. Oh well, I'm thirsty." They were all drinking the 'rose water' like it was going out of style. Except for the bit that Vettel poured onto David Couthard. Also, Kimi does not give a 🤬.

At least the talking doesn't take up a chunk of the screen like people messaging or entering/leaving....honestly, it's rather annoying to be approaching a left-hander, only to find you can't see the apex due to the chatbox :crazy:

"That's not champagne. Oh well, I'm thirsty." They were all drinking the 'rose water' like it was going out of style. Except for the bit that Vettel poured onto David Couthard. Also, Kimi does not give a 🤬.
Heeehhehehehehe:tup:

I think most of the qualifying issues can be minimized by the qualifying process we've used occasionally in D3 (and a couple of the other divisions as well I believe). That process is to simply have everyone form a single-file line at the first turn immediately after they exit pit lane to begin qualifying.

Once the line is formed, the driver in the front of the line begins qualifying and the driver behind him counts to 10 before hitting the gas. Wash, rinse, and repeat until all drivers are qualifying.

That process works well but 10 seconds is much too long. With a grid of 12 racers laps would have to be over 2 minutes to make that work (and that's assuming everyone's right on the 10 second mark. 6 or 7 seconds would be better, depending on the track.

He was probably also thinking, "Wait, is that Vettel on the other side of Kimi? How the **** did he squirm his way onto the podium?!?!?!"

It's important that you review our Car/Track History so that you can see a complete history of how many times we've raced each car and track (just scroll to the right of that tab). Please remember that originality is always appreciated. Therefore, picking cars and tracks that we've never raced is a plus (but not required).
While I know that doc has the details of the Cars and Tracks used I for one find it hard to read. With that in mind I posted a list back in August of the car and track combos used. I have updated the two entries

Cars:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7481578#post7481578

Tracks:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7481583#post7481583

I hope this helps those who won this weeks races.

I am new to posting but have been browsing the forum for quite some time and playing gt5 for a good while. I would like to get into a league of racers that race clean and fair. Everytime i have tried online racing on this game its just a bunch of people playing demolition derby. I am EST and would like some info on joining. Oh, my PS name is Nautica00

I had to chuckle at this, and also cringe a little bit.

In D5, this week there was less talking during the race. On good weeks, it's reasonably quiet, and most talking is of the "On your left..." or "Sorry for the nudge, take your position back..." variety. On other weeks, the talking can be a distraction. With less communication, I felt there were some hot-under-collar issues that could possibly have been mitigated. More communication (not cursing/bragging) is more polite, in my experience.

At times, when it's quiet, and I'm Oh-So-Out-of-it-again in another race, I will talk with another driver. This week, I lamented our racing with canucklehead, new to D5, as we compared our (in)ability to stay on the racing surfaces in the last two combos. While I enjoyed his company, I realize the conversation could have been a distraction to the more successful drivers.

I try to temper the driving/director's need to communicate, and the need to maintain a social atmosphere. I've muted myself at times when I've lost my cool, but the goal is for everyone to have fun. I can only control myself and my responses, but I know that my words also can influence others. I'll strive to be more positive influence, especially mic wise.

You may now tilt your seat back, use your seat tray, open a beverage, and tune into GT Academy 2012. Momentarily, we will resume our current course, we're on a 720 degree spin, and you'll see Trial Mountain out the right window... no, the left.... no, the right one again.... Heck, you know what I mean. :dunce:

Handlebar its not complaint, I said you did well, Its was a compliment :sly: :cheers:

Hey ive been racing gt5 for a few months and recently did a race with chumpcar i would love to join an online league where people take it serious and drive clean. My psn id is sirhankysur.

I am new to posting but have been browsing the forum for quite some time and playing gt5 for a good while. I would like to get into a league of racers that race clean and fair. Everytime i have tried online racing on this game its just a bunch of people playing demolition derby. I am EST and would like some info on joining. Oh, my PS name is Nautica00

Hey ive been racing gt5 for a few months and recently did a race with chumpcar i would love to join an online league where people take it serious and drive clean. My psn id is sirhankysur.

Hey SVTKilla and Sirhankysur,

Thanks for joining S.N.A.I.L. 👍 We're not overly serious, but we do everything we can to make sure we're clean :)

Please read the following:

We run a clean league by enforcing the S.N.A.I.L. OLR and we expect all of our drivers to know and follow The Good Racecraft Guide.
Please become versed in both.

Follow These Steps:
1. I add you to the drivers list as a New S.N.A.I.L. (Done)
2. You run the Time Trial.
3. You Private Message my GTPlanet account with your time from the time trial (no Sunday racing until this is completed).
4. I assign you to the appropriate Division, to give you the best racing possible.
5. A PSN friend request will be sent from the appropriate SNAIL_Division1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 account. That is where you race on Sunday night.
6. You drive fast and clean on Sunday :)

The first post has all the rules and regulations for S.N.A.I.L. It is the first place you need to check if you have a question. If it's not answered there, feel free to post your question on the thread.

The second post has the current race lineup for Sunday and is updated weekly.

If you have a preference for car/wheel colour and racing number, post your choices in this thread.
To avoid duplication, the currently claimed combinations can be found here.

During the week we run a number of different events, we encourage all S.N.A.I.L.s to join as many as possible.

Welcome aboard and enjoy :)

Test the car/track before you pick them please people. That Audi, although a great car, simply could not handle the elevation changes of trial mountain, and to be honest if we have another week like we did last week, I'm going to be taking a indefinite hiatus from the league. I understand nothing is supposed to be perfect, that's simply not racing, but we got from a great handling lotus on autumn ring, to garbage, to a good track/car combo that I would have had fun on had I not gotten knocked off track both races. You win some you lose some, but it is hard to have good race craft driving a car on skis.

Back