Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
Zr0
I thought that my reply was self explanatory due the context, quote and indications but I will take note. :)

I was not discussing the existence of an accurate transition, he said that "there is no change" and I said "there is a change in that situation". Nothing more.
And had you added that explanation in as well (and read the first post to know it was a requirement) that point could have been cleared up much sooner.

Zr0
Maybe most of those "facts" are not as important as people want to make. Forza has not even a linear steering simulation and no one is making that a big deal when it's more important for the driving model than a car sliding to one side, in first gear, from a standing still start and when doing a burnout. Same with the force feedback, if it feels good it's because is doing more things right than other that overall feels worst or less detailed, even doing some certain aspect better.
Plenty of people make steering aids a deal and they have been discussed in this thread in the past, that however was not the point being discussed in this case (and therefore a strawman). The point was that when you understeer in FM4 the steering goes light on the limit. It was argued that this is unrealistic, fact (and it is one) is that is not unrealistic at all.

Oh and feedback feeling 'good' and being 'right' are two different things. That steering resistance reduces at and over the limit is not debatable, that is what happens, however that may not feel 'good' to someone who has no or limited real world experience. That they don't feel its 'good' has no bearing at all on if it feels real.

Zr0
Youtube is plenty of vids like these and here in GTP there are a lot of positives real life experiences from people with track time. Also there is the GT Academy success and all the finalists (not the winners) doing good at the track events even with no real experience except playing GT5 with a wheel. Those are the real facts.
The GT Academy is a marketing exercise and little more. That the final tests are done on track and in real cars is testament to that, the exercise is focused on chosing the right person to then train as a racing driver (and does so well). However it doesn't prove the physics in any way, now if they were to only use GT5 and then put someone straight in for a racing licence test that may be different, but they don't.

Zr0
There are examples like the above but from Forza? I mean real players not promotional material from MS or the typical magazines comparisons.
Yes they do exists (and while I can understand you mentioning MS comparisons I fail to see why you have an issue with magazines), and they are interesting but overall easy to put together.

Edited to add - Now I know you have multiple accounts I see exactly why - That is not permitted here at GT Planet - Reply to the PM you have been sent before you post again

Similar stuff exists for Enthusia, GT4, etc.

Take the example you have posted here, its often cited as a great example of just how realistic GT5 is, yet its was produced pre Spec 2.0. Spec 2.0 brought a massive amount of physics changes. Does that mean GT5 is now more real than real? What does that mean in terms of the video?

Zr0
I have read many times that some FM top players were involved in serious crashes at Nurburgring and that the instructors are being cautious of "game players" because that but I don't recall any proof from people that have translated its Forza developed skills succesfully into the track.
You mean the people who are known (regardless of Sim) as Playstation Heroes?

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.p...ystation-heroes&catid=3:amusing&Itemid=300066

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/touristenfahrten/324-playstation-heroes-part-2

Read the second one in particular - it addresses 'your' video evidence directly and the author (who has a lot of track time at the 'ring) doesn't give it the same degree of importance as you do (well not for the same reasons).

No sim is going to teach you exactly how a track reacts, nor will they teach you how to be a racing driver. Anyone with any degree of track time will tell you that.

What this thread does have however is a good degree of 'sacred cow' attitude towards GT5, characterised by two main factors:

• An inability to acknowledge any flaw in GT5's physics engine
  • The use of GT5 as a benchmark, rather than reality

Most of the FM4 players here are more than happy to discuss the issues which it has (I have listed and discussed them many times), however the moment GT5 gets mentioned many act as if you have just shot a kitten.

GT5 has issues with its physics engine (some serious) and discussing them is only natural, and acknowledging them is the only way PD is going to move the series forward.

Last edited:
How do you know the crashes weren't because the Nurburgring in Forza is inaccurate, which has nothing to do with physics?
I don't know but I would like to think that an iRacing top player would have no problem translating its learned skills over the real Nurburgring, even if that track does not exist in the game. And I don't mean breaking lap records, just staying safe on the track. I have read that some of the Forza crashes were in the first lap.

Edited to add - Now I know you have multiple accounts I see exactly why - That is not permitted here at GT Planet - Reply to the PM you have been sent before you post again
I have finally addressed the email problem that would not let me post with my main account, you can cancel "Zr0".

And had you added that explanation in as well (and read the first post to know it was a requirement) that point could have been cleared up much sooner.

Plenty of people make steering aids a deal and they have been discussed in this thread in the past, that however was not the point being discussed in this case (and therefore a strawman). The point was that when you understeer in FM4 the steering goes light on the limit. It was argued that this is unrealistic, fact (and it is one) is that is not unrealistic at all.

Oh and feedback feeling 'good' and being 'right' are two different things. That steering resistance reduces at and over the limit is not debatable, that is what happens, however that may not feel 'good' to someone who has no or limited real world experience. That they don't feel its 'good' has no bearing at all on if it feels real.

The GT Academy is a marketing exercise and little more. That the final tests are done on track and in real cars is testament to that, the exercise is focused on chosing the right person to then train as a racing driver (and does so well). However it doesn't prove the physics in any way, now if they were to only use GT5 and then put someone straight in for a racing licence test that may be different, but they don't.

Yes they do exists (and while I can understand you mentioning MS comparisons I fail to see why you have an issue with magazines), and they are interesting but overall easy to put together.

Similar stuff exists for Enthusia, GT4, etc.

Take the example you have posted here, its often cited as a great example of just how realistic GT5 is, yet its was produced pre Spec 2.0. Spec 2.0 brought a massive amount of physics changes. Does that mean GT5 is now more real than real? What does that mean in terms of the video?

You mean the people who are known (regardless of Sim) as Playstation Heroes?

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.p...ystation-heroes&catid=3:amusing&Itemid=300066

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/touristenfahrten/324-playstation-heroes-part-2

Read the second one in particular - it addresses 'your' video evidence directly and the author (who has a lot of track time at the 'ring) doesn't give it the same degree of importance as you do (well not for the same reasons).

No sim is going to teach you exactly how a track reacts, nor will they teach you how to be a racing driver. Anyone with any degree of track time will tell you that.

What this thread does have however is a good degree of 'sacred cow' attitude towards GT5, characterised by two main factors:

• An inability to acknowledge any flaw in GT5's physics engine
  • The use of GT5 as a benchmark, rather than reality

Most of the FM4 players here are more than happy to discuss the issues which it has (I have listed and discussed them many times), however the moment GT5 gets mentioned many act as if you have just shot a kitten.

GT5 has issues with its physics engine (some serious) and discussing them is only natural, and acknowledging them is the only way PD is going to move the series forward.
I mean right in the sense of being conected with the car and road throught the feedback of the wheel, the only real physical link between the simulation and the player.

I disagree about the GT Academy, I don't mean physics but the overall driving model. If GT5 would not doing some thing right the Academy would be a mess specially with the real car tests. Most of the finalists are just GT players with no much or not track experience. I don't mean the best of the pack or the winners.

It's not like 2.0 becomes another game. GT updates refine things but does not change the way that the game is played. Same way as an upgraded car can be feel or communicate better than a stock.

Magazines most times are big adverts, usually most info in their test and setups are omited and the results become vague and "friendly" to the readers, publishers and players. I prefer to filter that when I'm looking for some real proof of sim learning translated to the real world.

I know that no game is going to replace the real thing but some of them are betters than others to develop muscle memory and to learn tracks, specially with steering wheels, no aids, etc. No one is going to drive as fast for real just with the game experience except no brain people. As I said there are lot of vids and examples in GTP. In the same vid:

"I don't say it's possible to drive a real car fast there just by practicing on GT5 but it's very similar how each corner looks like or where I need to aim for entry and exit. I didn't lose many laps just to learn the course and was able to drive the cars at decent pace from the beginning thanks to GT5, I have to say "

What are in your opinion the flaws in the GT5 physics that make the experience broke in a real track? or the worst are the ones common to all the sims because the lack of the physical car and track feedback or a real conection that some people seem to adapt partially with the help of FF steering wheels?

I don't have any problem to discuss flaws, is just that sometimes I see these discussions biased and exagerated when GT5 is the target. Forza players like to put a lot of force and time to convince others of how flawed is GT5. GT players don't care so much about exposing and investigate forza flaws and that make an unbalanced view of the sides, so some people end with funny conclusions.

I don't know but I would like to think that an iRacing top player would have no problem translating its learned skills over the real Nurburgring, even if that track does not exist in the game. And I don't mean breaking lap records, just staying safe on the track. I have read that some of the Forza crashes were in the first lap.
Can you post a direct link that shows that Forza players have more accidents at the 'ring that users of any other sim.

I posted a while ago a link that covered this exact factor with regard to Simraceway and a track a driver had never been on before and it does make a difference. That and the links I provided with regard to 'Playstation Heros' kind of cover this already.

I have finally addressed the email problem that would not let me post with my main account, you can cancel "Zr0".
Done

I mean right in the sense of being conected with the car and road throught the feedback of the wheel, the only real physical link between the simulation and the player.
So you have no problem with feedback that should not be felt via a wheel (and therefore causing issues with how the cars handle) being present.

I disagree about the GT Academy, I don't mean physics but the overall driving model. If GT5 would not doing some thing right the Academy would be a mess specially with the real car tests. Most of the finalists are just GT players with no much or not track experience. I don't mean the best of the pack or the winners.
What PD are doing with the academy could be replicated with any half way descent sim, as such its not GT5 that is producing these drivers its the selection process and training they undergo (and mainly the latter).

You are also once again forgetting that once you get to the final selection, GT5 goes out the window in real terms. If they do it and the final winner goes straight from GT5 to a race (or race licence test) then you might have a point.

It's not like 2.0 becomes another game. GT updates refine things but does not change the way that the game is played. Same way as an upgraded car can be feel or communicate better than a stock.
2.0 changed how the cars behaved in some quite significant ways, that is a point agreed by just about everyone with time on both versions. Its certainly a big enough change to question that video being used as proof of GT5's accuracy.

Its also nothing like modification a real car, that does nothing to change how physics work, which is exactly what PD did with 2.0.

Magazines most times are big adverts, usually most info in their test and setups are omited and the results become vague and "friendly" to the readers, publishers and players. I prefer to filter that when I'm looking for some real proof of sim learning translated to the real world.
That depends on the magazine in question and the points you raised with regard to Evo were all addressed (and Evo is not a publication known for bias).

Its also odd that you disregard magazines because of potential bias but will willingly accept just about any youtube clip, all of which carry the exact same risk of bias.

What you seem to filter for is what supports your argument, no major issue with that everyone does it to a degree, however when straight up physics gets dismissed or misrepresented (and in the Self aligning torque diagram) that is an issue.

I know that no game is going to replace the real thing but some of them are betters than others to develop muscle memory and to learn tracks, specially with steering wheels, no aids, etc. No one is going to drive as fast for real just with the game experience except no brain people. As I said there are lot of vids and examples in GTP. In the same vid:
A lot of examples exist for every sim, this has already been done to death, none of them 'prove' anything.

At best you get a very rough idea of how a track is laid out, you certainly don't gain any muscle memory from any sim (the exact nature of the feedback, resistance, etc are totally different regardless of how much money you have dropped on a home rig).

"I don't say it's possible to drive a real car fast there just by practicing on GT5 but it's very similar how each corner looks like or where I need to aim for entry and exit. I didn't lose many laps just to learn the course and was able to drive the cars at decent pace from the beginning thanks to GT5, I have to say "
Did you bother to follow the second link I posted? As that claim is quite firmly rebuted by someone with a significant degree of experience at the 'ring (far more than the person who made the video).

B2G
Well, somebody sent me the video below - as an argument that PS3 learning does work. I 100% disagree.

This video shows me nothing but a guy who's one step away from paying an &#8364;8000 insurance excess and buying at least &#8364;2500 of barriers at the same time. The only thing that saves his ass is the 'secret weapon'... yep, I met this chap and his kamikaze helmet at Rent4Ring. Read the video description and you'll see he drove our Swift Stage 2 the day before this video. Then he <cough> upgraded to the BMW 325i above*. I believe he admitted to being a tyre tester for a large manufacturer, certainly his car control is great.

But his track knowledge is dangerously poor. Check out the early entry at 7m20s... he catches the notorious crest and camber change just wrong and AT SPEED. Put 9/10 average tourist session drivers in that slide and the red lights would be on before you could say "Attention, attenion! Zee track ist now closed. Please return to your parking places!"

My point is its not the professional driver in him that's making him enter the corners too fast; it's the illusion that he has 'learnt' the track already!

Anyway, if he really had 'learnt' the track with the PS3 then he'd be going at least 30-seconds per lap faster. And he's not. Even with his 'skillz'. I rest my case.

*an upgrade which would be more understandable if he wasn't going slower in the 325i than we actually go in the little Swifts! ;)
Source - http://www.bridgetogantry.com/2/index.php/home/touristenfahrten/324-playstation-heroes-part-2

That would seem to be quite a different take on how much of an advantage GT5 was for the guy in your video (and it is your video that he is discussing).

What are in your opinion the flaws in the GT5 physics that make the experience broke in a real track? or the worst are the ones common to all the sims because the lack of the physical car and track feedback or a real conection that some people seem to adapt partially with the help of FF steering wheels?
I've already covered the issues all sims have with regard to track comparisons, so will focus on GT5. The two biggest issues it has are the tyre model (which is by far the biggest issue) and suspension modeling.

The former I have covered in detail in the Tyre thread I linked to.

I don't have any problem to discuss flaws, is just that sometimes I see these discussions biased and exagerated when GT5 is the target. Forza players like to put a lot of force and time to convince others of how flawed is GT5. GT players don't care so much about exposing and investigate forza flaws and that make an unbalanced view of the sides, so some people end with funny conclusions.
Sorry but I disagree, this thread kicked back off again because of an inaccurate comment with regard to FM4 and steering resistance, with GT5 being used as the 'benchmark' rather than reality. Most of the FM4 issues die of quickly because people tend to acknowledge them (if they are genuine), however GT5 issues need, on occasion, to be proved to a level that is quite clearly daft before they get accepted (not helped by the two issues I mentioned above). The flaws with the tyre model are a good example of this, you still find people claiming that GT5 models deformation (not visually) despite not a shred of evidence that shows it and a large body of evidence that counters it (grip multipliers). Yet mention that FM4 doesn't model longitudinal tyre deformation (only lateral and to a lesser degree vertical) and I don't think you will get anyone argue.

I've seen members try and prove that cars in GT5 can torque steer from a standstill using a car so modified and with bizarre gear ratios that it was undrivable the rest of the time, all it proved was that PD have an issue is this area and if you nerf a car enough you can get it moving a little and then torque steering (oh and you had to launch in third gear). That you can't take a stock car and do it was a point constantly ignored in favour of an exploit to nerf a car (and the member was very misleading through out - requiring the fact the car was modified to be dragged out of them). Its situations like this that exasperate a lot of us who simply want to discuss physics in an accurate manner and with the correct reference point (reality).

However I will give you an opportunity to redress the balance, I have linked to a list of the issues I feel GT5 and FM4 both have in regard to physics, How about you post up a list for both and we can discuss them (please however keep it to physics - that is after all the topic of the thread).

Last edited:
I can't help but agree with scaff, GT5 has some die hard fans who refuse to acknowledge any flaws in the games physics. One guy even said it was as close to iracing as you can get which is ridiculas, forza isn't perfect either but like scaff said, forza fans readily admit Forzas flaws and don't try to sugar coat them. The way I look at it is if you continue to praise polyphony digital for the mess they made with GT5 then GT6 will not be much better.

It is progressive for me and I'm sure many others. F1 car might be like a switch if you don't know how to control it and are not in tune with it but that doesn't stop people who are in tune with it being able to drive it progressively in real life does it? Going on and off grass is controllable in GT5 in quite a lot of situations at racing speed if you are in tune with physics, but from what I remember for you it is like instant death spin or something along them lines.

Being able to work around physics short-comings in any game and getting used to it doesn't make the game (or your actions) more realistic. It just means you've learned how to work around a relatively (compared to reality) simple system.

What this most recent revival of the thread has shown to me, again, is that on one hand, a lot of the claims to accuracy in FM4 are backed up with facts, and evidence. A great many of the ones for GT5 rely on "it just feels right" or something similar. It's interesting, and there's nothing wrong with just preferring the feel of any particular game over others; there's a few car/track combos that just click for me in GT5, that I won't ever get tired of. But I won't pretend that my enjoyment stands in as a suitable substitute for realism.

Quoted from another thread to keep that one on-topic. Please note this thread is not 100% correct for it, but its a damn sight closer.

I find it funny how people don't find GT5 a "serious sim".
Please elaborate why is GT5 a lesser sim than, let's say, rFactor? Tyre model?
I would not argue that GT5 takes its 'sim' tag seriously, however the issues it has with its tyre and suspension models are significant, more than significant enough to impact on how well it performs as a sim in comparison to quite a number of its rivals (for want of a better word).

rF, iRacing and a few others lack weather changes, different track temprature per each track and some other things, why should they be considered more of a sim than GT5?
They do lack those things you are quite right, but GT5 doesn't gain in the sim stakes for having them if the core car/track interface is not good enough in the first place.

The effect of track temp and/or rain could be perfectly done in GT5 (its not but keep with me) and it would be to no advantage if the tyre and suspension modeling is off.

Just because it's sold in less quantities doesn't make a game more or less of a sim.
And just because a title sells more doesn't make it any more or less of a sim.

People are seriously overrating SMS and pCARS, I've seen what SMS can do, seen enough thank you. Don't compliment the game before release or you will be dissapointed.
I quite agree, nothing should be judged before its final release, the odd thing is that's exactly what you are doing here. You complain that people are praising SMS and pCars before final release, and then dismissing it before final release.

You can't have it both ways and as it stands you are just as guilty as those you are targeting.

I love GT5's feel, I find GT5's ffb perfect (rFactor has too strong ffb, which is unrealistic in my opinion). ISR use that term "where rubber meets the road" and it's a spot on way to describe the driving feel on GT5. The precision is top notch and that's why, in my honest opinion, GT5 is the best sim for time trialing. Not the most realistic, but the best.
GT5's FFB is far from perfect, for starters it includes a lot of dynamic information in the feedback (from the primary ride) that should not be present.

GT5 also does a poor job of communicating tyre progression via feedback (in particular self aligning torque), a issue of both the FFB pollution and the tyre model.

Totally agreed, but again, it all comes down to personal preference.
I tried rFactor, Simraceway and a few other proper sims and I couldn't get them to feel right, so therefore GT5 is as good as it gets in my humble, subjective opinion.

As I've mentioned, I love GT5's feel and I find GT5's ffb perfect (although some effects are bland but that's the compromise I've been willing to come across) for my taste.

Never tried FM4, but I've heard from some people that the feel is totally different from GT5 and that not everyone (who has been playing GT5 prior to FM4) likes it.

I'll say this, FM4 is a better game in every aspect, but GT5 is a better sim. Neither FM4 is the perfect game nor is GT5 a perfect sim but both games produce very good results in their respective aspects (FM4 has content, GT5 has physics and feel).

I tried rFactor, Simraceway and a few other proper sims and I couldn't get them to feel right, so therefore GT5 is as good as it gets in my humble, subjective opinion.

As I've mentioned, I love GT5's feel and I find GT5's ffb perfect (although some effects are bland but that's the compromise I've been willing to come across) for my taste.
While I fully respect your personal preference that doesn't and can not be translated into what is more accurate in terms of a simulation.

Never tried FM4, but I've heard from some people that the feel is totally different from GT5 and that not everyone (who has been playing GT5 prior to FM4) likes it.
I would not say its totally different at all, but certainly most of us posting on here have come from the GT series and as such are talking about the comparison from the perspective of both titles.

Prior to FM4, for me the GT series had the edge in terms of overall physics, but with FM4 the suspension and tyre model move it ahead of GT5 in terms of physics.

I'll say this, FM4 is a better game in every aspect, but GT5 is a better sim. Neither FM4 is the perfect game nor is GT5 a perfect sim but both games produce very good results in their respective aspects (FM4 has content, GT5 has physics and feel).
I agree that neither is a perfect sim (and nor is one ever likely to exist) I find it odd that you have no experience of FM4 yet are quite happy to categorically state that GT5 is a better sim. Exactly what do you base this on and what do you think GT5 offers in its core physics that FM4 doesn't?

My own thoughts on these areas (and what is missing from both) you will find in this very thread, and that's based on significant experience with both series.

Now feel is to a degree subjective (what is included in FFB is not however and in that GT5 has a number of issues), but once again I'm at a bit of a loss as to how you can say that GT5 is better than a title you have no experience of.

A couple questions for Scaff or other experienced FM4 drivers:

How does the 2.09 GT5 physics compare to FM4 now?
Do you drive either game with any driver aids?

I'm just curious as 2.09 has gotten a lot of positive response from the community. Recently I stopped using ABS and it changed the game dramatically for me. Can't say if either development is more "realistic" but I can feel what the tires are doing much more now. From reading this thread, it sounds like FM4 has a more advanced tire model.

Thanks.

Do you drive either game with any driver aids?

I'm just curious as 2.09 has gotten a lot of positive response from the community. Recently I stopped using ABS and it changed the game dramatically for me. Can't say if either development is more "realistic" but I can feel what the tires are doing much more now. From reading this thread, it sounds like FM4 has a more advanced tire model.

Thanks.

I don't generally drive FM4 with aids on of any sort, GT5 I sometimes leave ABS set to 1 (mainly because lock-up is rather iffy in progression).

In regard to 2.09 I must admit to not having tried it yet, will see if I can find the time to update this evening and give it a go.

I really don't get it when people say they like GT5s feel because I get zero feeling. I run a fanatec GT2 so I have a half decent wheel and while there is a nice weighty feeling in the wheel you can't feel anything when the car is under or over steering. That's what I like about Forzas ffb you can really feel what tires are doing. In regards to the topic in general, forza and gt5 are both very good games but none of them are quite sim enough yet. A simulation covers more than just realistic physics, what kind of a race is ther in the world were you don't get to qualify, gt5s damage is really bad, forza does the same in regards to qualifying. I could go on and on.

I really don't get it when people say they like GT5s feel because I get zero feeling. I run a fanatec GT2 so I have a half decent wheel and while there is a nice weighty feeling in the wheel you can't feel anything when the car is under or over steering. That's what I like about Forzas ffb you can really feel what tires are doing. In regards to the topic in general, forza and gt5 are both very good games but none of them are quite sim enough yet. A simulation covers more than just realistic physics, what kind of a race is ther in the world were you don't get to qualify, gt5s damage is really bad, forza does the same in regards to qualifying. I could go on and on.

One thing I tried recently was going to cockpit view. I found that once some of the subtle feedback from the wheel was accompanied by the visual reference points provided by the interior of the car in relation to the track it seemed to be more realistic in GT5. Not great or anything close to it, just a little better..lol..:sly:

Scaff
Exactly what do you base this on and what do you think GT5 offers in its core physics that FM4 doesn't?
Maybe I should use different wording, I'm not a native english speaker so I tend to make things more complicated that they actually are. :lol:
What I meant to say is that it's realistic enough for me but the feel of driving, the feel of track and ffb effects just make the game for me. As I've said, I tried some "real" PC sims but they just couldn't do it for me (I consider myself at least a top 100 driver on GT5 so therefore the feel is of much importance for me).
I use Fanatec GT3 RS wheel.

OK I have spent a few days with 2.09 doing back to backs with FM4 and also running GT5 pre and post 2.09.

2.09 is most certainly a step in the right direction with some clear changes to the suspension model, I'm however a lot less convinced that anything major has changed in the tyre model.

Starting with that tyre model, the old issues are still more than present, with hook up from standstill or low speed still totally inaccurate and nothing at all appears to have changed in how self aligning torque is dealt with. Its a shame but the work involved in overhauling the tyre model would not make sense for a mid-life update for GT5, all we can hope for is that they are putting that work in for GT6 (I would of course love to be wrong in this and have them fix it for a future GT5 update).

However when it comes to suspension modeling things have certainly changed and for the better. First off default damper setting are softer and changes to load transfer much smoother, the behavior of the suspension across differing types also appears to better represent the suspension type as well. As a result the cars now behave much more realistically up to the limit (at and after which the tyre model throws its spanners in the works) and the changes do make it easier to judge those limits when they are approaching.

Interestingly PD also seem to have started to address one of my personal peeves with FFB, in that they are moving more of the effects of primary ride to the visual side of things (when in cockpit view) and reducing its effect on the FFB. Its not enough for me still, but it is a significant step in the right direction.

The suspension model and how its behavior is feed to the driver is now much closer to how FM4 deals with these and as such gets plus points from me, however FM4's tyre model is still significantly ahead of GT5's.

The main upshot however is that I know actually find driving the cars far more enjoyable that pre 2.09, in particular testing with the Caterham Fireblade (the suspension on which was always nasty in the past, mainly due to too firm damper settings as a default and the suspension model issues) is now great fun to drive on comfort tyres.

Note - All the above testing was done with zero aids, including ABS which still has the hidden brake force distribution that invalidates any and all brake bias settings.

Maybe I should use different wording, I'm not a native english speaker so I tend to make things more complicated that they actually are. :lol:
What I meant to say is that it's realistic enough for me but the feel of driving, the feel of track and ffb effects just make the game for me. As I've said, I tried some "real" PC sims but they just couldn't do it for me (I consider myself at least a top 100 driver on GT5 so therefore the feel is of much importance for me).
I use Fanatec GT3 RS wheel.

Which is quite different to what you were saying in the previous post, as I say just because someone likes the 'feel' of something doesn't make it realistic.

Well 49 seconds into my first Forza 4 race and I've settled which game has better physics. It's Forza.

As I don't care for story mode in either game (and FM4's intro session was as bad as 3's) I hurriedly plowed through the AI, and careless driving quickly lead to my Ka going into lift off oversteer. No FWD car in GT5 behaves like this.

Well 49 seconds into my first Forza 4 race and I've settled which game has better physics. It's Forza.

As I don't care for story mode in either game (and FM4's intro session was as bad as 3's) I hurriedly plowed through the AI, and careless driving quickly lead to my Ka going into lift off oversteer. No FWD car in GT5 behaves like this.

You have so much fun ahead of you its quite frankly stupid.

:)

GT5 has awful ff physics.
You literally can't lose control of a ff car unless you induce it by using some seriously stupid steering input aided by handbrake.

I won't argue [with Scaff's post since I was ninja'd], the way the cars behave, grinding is almost fun. It's too bad I won't be able to get online for another month. In the mean time, I think I'll enjoy the livery editor.

EDIT

I bought the Viper ACR and took it to Laguna Seca. Quite a big difference between the games. In Forza, you actually get a feel for why the corkscrew is famous. The available grip is constantly in flux. In GT5, it just feels like a pot hole. Unfortunately I can't do a back to back comparison at the moment as I don't have the PS3. Forza does a feel a bit overly grippy still, but not nearly as much as FM3.

I also applaud Forza for telling you downforce in real units, but as in FM3, they didn't tell you at what speed the downforce number is relevant at. It also seems like values that are fixed (be they aero, suspension, whatever) are hidden. I can't patch the game since my Xbox can't connect to the internet though, so maybe some of this has been changed?

Last edited:
forza is a arcade racing game and gt5 a sim racing game ......
no comparison needed-.-

Thanks for clearing it up, what would we do without such well thought out insights.

Lolwut? Care to prove how? I honestly cant see how Forza could be classed as a arcade racer...

Don't bother, it's not worth the energy to respond seriously to posts like that.

Last edited:
How do you know the crashes weren't because the Nurburgring in Forza is inaccurate, which has nothing to do with physics?

do you think they were driving balls out the first time they got on the real track? i doubt it, probably just unskilled drivers, even GT doesn't translate terribly well to real life driving.

forza is a arcade racing game and gt5 a sim racing game ......
no comparison needed-.-

Are you kidding me right now? I greatly disagree with that statement. Forza is far, far from being an arcade game. And if you want to get technical, I wouldn't classify either of the two as true "sim" games, but they are as close as you can get on a console.

As for which one is better, I would have to say GT5, by the closest of margins.

Well said ^^^^^

It all comes down to personal preference in the end, I choose to play both and the both have there merits and weaknesses.

Last edited:
After playing Forza 4 for a collective total of ~10 hours, there were a few things that I noticed. Forza definitely does the braking better than GT5. You can feel the ABS kick in and the car starts to lurch as the brakes pulse and you can shorten braking zones significantly by threshold braking. I understand why people are saying the tire physics are better as well. It seems to properly grip to the road at lower speeds. I noticed that there was lift off oversteer in the lotus elise and how it was easily corrected by applying the throttle 👍. The elise in GT5 doesn't seem to behave like that (or at least not to that degree). Forza also has more tuning options, so that's another plus.

Of course, there are also things I didn't like. The steering can seem a bit unresponsive at times and oversensitive at other times. I found that cars oversteer a little too easily at lower speeds: I'll lose grip and oversteer, then I countersteer, but overcorrect and oversteer again; and rinse and repeat for a few more times. This happens at speeds of ~40 mph with a low power car like an S2000. Although, it's probably not the game, but me not being used to the controller. The transition from grip to slip in forza is more abrupt than GT5, though I'm not sure which is more accurate. I do feel that GT5 and the DS3 gives more useful feedback about what the car is doing. I also think the analog stick is more precise on the DS3 as well. When it comes to weight transfer, GT5 has the upper hand IMO. You can feel the weight shifting more precisely in GT5 and you can easily tell when you're overloading one of your front tires when braking and turning and you can feel how the car reacts when you corner hard. In Forza, the cars feel like they corner too flatly and are too planted to the ground.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. It's hard to say which one is better. GT5 does better in some areas and Forza does better in others.

machschnel
Since when have physics been subjective? Here I am, thinking there was some science involved.....

Well, according to a large number of people who claim GT5 "feels better" and thus has better physics....

But I think his intention was to say that they both have positives and negatives, so he plays both because neither is 100% accurate.

HighSeasHoMastr
Well, according to a large number of people who claim GT5 "feels better" and thus has better physics....

But I think his intention was to say that they both have positives and negatives, so he plays both because neither is 100% accurate.

That is what I have said this entire time.

But still in all honesty i still say Forza is over glorified and is trying to be bigger than it is. The to me where the physics are concentrated in Forza doesn't really do it for me. But where they are concentrated in GT5 does matter for me (resulting in my reasoning saying GT5 is better)

*snip*

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. It's hard to say which one is better. GT5 does better in some areas and Forza does better in others.

Interesting, in-depth response 👍
Strangely, I feel almost opposite of you; I find the subtlety in FM4 completely lacking in GT5, and the former has a much more progressive slip-to-grip character than GT5. Admittedly, I still haven't played FM4 much with a wheel (bar trying it at a friend's with his older Fanatec Porsche wheel), while I had a fair amount of time with a wheel on GT5 before it broke. Both on controllers, I get no feeling from GT, and find it'll easily move to full-on tank-slapper status without telegraphing much of it to me, either through visuals or force feedback.

Since when have physics been subjective? Here I am, thinking there was some science involved.....

It's strange, starting around... oh, October 2011, for some reason, subjectivity began to be more popular. People started talking more about the immeasurables; about "feeling" and "spirit". I'll admit that some personal preference to these things is completely unavoidable, and even desired; but it's strange how often it's used to diffuse hard, calculable evidence about physics engine prowess.

Back