Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
Canada
Ottawa
rickenbackergt
Of course, vote only if you have played both games.

Im curious to know how the physics engines compare.

In what ways do you find the physics in Forza 4 better than GT5, and vice-versa?

I made an identical thread on ForzaPlanet to see what users over there think. To see it, go to:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=209534

EDITED BY SCAFF

Read before posting and ensure you follow:

The ground rules

The first and most obvious regards the AUP. Every single post will be expected to follow the AUP, any AUP violations will result in action being taken by the staff.

However I want to clarify a few points in this regard:

• Opinion is not fact - don't present it as such
  • Argue the point don't attack the person making it
  • The term 'fanboy' (including any and all derivations) is banned
  • Accusations of 'Troll' simply because you don't like what someone says are also out
  • If you make a claim back it up with sources - fail to do so and you will be asked to provide them
  • Don't just post up pictures and video without any form of meaningful comment. This is a discussion thread not a picture/video gallery. Offending posts will be deleted on sight.

The staff reserve the right to amend and adjust the above as often and in any way we see fit.

Discuss away, but play nicely.

Scaff

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother has Forza 3 and I only play it because the sounds are better and the upgrades are a little better IMO. The reason I like GT5 is because of the physics. The Forza physics are weird for some reason, I think its harder to race in Forza but maybe that just because I'm used to GT5. Forget about drifting. I also think GT5's physics are more realistic especially with a wheel. Just look at Lucas Ordóñez :embarrassed:

Obviously GT5, I played the F4 demo and it felt too arcadey and overdone with the physics.

In all honesty,i was a massive forza fan,until i got hooked on GT4.

FM4 feels like a bit arcade racer,you can full speed into the corners without much trouble and when you do,you have that wonderful kiddie like rewind button.

Forza 4's new physics engine is absolutely fantastic. It's a huge improvement over Forza 3 but I think GT5 still has the edge physics wise. Forza simulates the clutch 100% better than GT though.

Parker

I played a bit of Forza 4 with the Fanatec wheel specifically made for the game and I wasn't really impressed. It's just not as direct and precise as it is in GT5 (I have a DFGT, btw). I could instantly tell it was a good improvement over FM3, but still not good enough for me to love it.

I think gt5 has the most realistic physic interms of cornering speed and top end speed. Also gt5 maybe the best simulator interms of getting accurate in game circuit times vs real life circuit times. Many say forza4 has the better physic engine, many say Iracing has better physics how do they know? The other so call simulator has nothing to measure gforces. I did researches on lateral acceleration for many cars and gt5 is the only simulator I see with instruments to measure lateral grip. What I found is that some of the cars are setup right in the first place so they corner faster than they should. From my experiments supercars need the comfort soft tires and no other mods to get the closer to real gforce. Sports cars need comfort medium. Racing cars need racing hard. Gt5 allow you to adjust downforce, suspension and weight, adjusting these can help you get a more accurate setup to the real car. The g meter can help you find the best tires and downforce to simulate the real gforce. Also I think you should add weight to simulate the weight of a driver. I may have said too much but I want to make it clear why I think gt5 is and can be the best driving simulator. I know it does have the best engine sounds or the best damage machanical or cosmetics but I am talking about best in giving real performance.

I'm curious to those who've played it, is it as big a jump as it is between GT5 and a PC sim like iRacing? And are there options in FM4 to make the physics less arcadey as there are in GT5?

Haha. Only 5 votes for Forza! Come guys this is a GT forum so off course is GT going to win this thing. We may admit it, we are all a bunch of fanboys :) I have Forza 3 and I actually think that the physics are good, but not as good as GT's. On the other hand, NFS Shift 2, what a load of cra#. Touch the wheel and you are of the track, its extremely sensitive!

Peace!

Obviously a lot are not playing Forza :). Forza 3 was fun ,I played a lot.Physics ofcourse not as realistic as Gt5 but it was a fun Game ,with superb Engine sounds.
:)
Forza 4 is a huge step forward . I think they are equal now and I enjoy them both. October is a great month with GT5 Spec 2 and Forza 4 Lce . I usually play them both along with Enthusia

From someone who has played both extensively...ok maybe not as much on Forza 4, I gotta say FM4 nails it better.

The amount of under-steer vs over-steer is more realistically captured.

I also noticed the tank slappers look and feel more natural than Gt5.

But what do I know, I'm just a fanboy right? :sly:

I'm not sure about Forza right now but PD has nailed the physics in this update. The new physics are absolutely stunning. Then again, Forza has adjustable tire pressures...
Get a move on PD!

From someone who has played both extensively...ok maybe not as much on Forza 4, I gotta say FM4 nails it better.

The amount of under-steer vs over-steer is more realistically captured.

I also noticed the tank slappers look and feel more natural than Gt5.

But what do I know, I'm just a fanboy right? :sly:

you have 2 posts, that's suspicious and I'm not one to be suspicious. You feel me?

GT5, if you understeer, you better slow the hell down if you want to make the turn. It won't get better until you slow down a lot when you mess up and understeer. Before the update, it wasn't as drastic as it is now.

Shifting down can make your car spin out if your REV meter is way high and you don't keep proper control of your car (gas). I did this in the Toyota 7 right after I downloaded Spec 2. This is much more sensitive than before.

From looking at videos, it seems that FM4 doesn't really have bumps. Try comparing Nurb or Le mans. The bumps are constant.
I'm not sure about Forza right now but PD has nailed the physics in this update. The new physics are absolutely stunning. Then again, Forza has adjustable tire pressures...
Get a move on PD!
Definitely.

And definitely, PD is behind in tuning and tire pressure. And nitrous! lol Seriously though.

Last edited:
Well, I've played FM3 only in a friend's place and, I kid you not, it red-ringed when he was trying to impress me with it. The physics are quite arcadey in my opinion, cars overreact too much. I drove a JGTC Xanavi Nismo Skyline and it was either really easy or really ridiculously hard, oversteer feels really over the top and understeer was nearly unexistant. GT5 nailed it sooo much better IN MY OPINION. Plus, the crappy toyish MS wheel doesn't help, everything in that wheels feel is wrong. On the plus side, I play GT5 with a G27 which is a much better wheel.

When he fixed the stupid thing, we played with an EVO X and a WRX around La Sarthe and the cars felt really different compared to their GT5 counterparts. Virtually no understeer, which is really weird for 4WD cars on road tyres. Try taking a chicane too fast with any of this cars in GT5 and you'll just make the tyres screech and send the car directly into a tyre-barrier. In FM3 it just went a bit wide and carried its speed along the turn.

TheFlyingKiwi
GT5 physics are the best on a console. On physics terms its like comparing Manchester United to Manchester City.

Or comparing both to Liverpool... Just no comparison!!

*ducks*

Back