Forza 4 vs GT5 physics (read the first post before contributing)

Which game do you find has superior physics?

• Gran Turismo 5

Votes: 1,142 80.5%
  • Forza 4

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • They are equal

Votes: 110 7.8%

• Total voters
hello all , ive recently made the switch to gt5 from forza , i was a top 10 runner all across every class and track near enough and have stuck by forza since the start b4 crappy turn 10 came a ruined it but any way my feelings on the question is forza is very very very arcade feeling , nothing close to real or sim , in fact nothing on the game series has ever worked literally everything has glitch fault trust , the only thing forza has over gt in myopinion now that i own gt is the feed back given to the pad thru vibration from the level of grip/bumps on track forza have this down to a T ! gt slightly lacks here but its a small price to pay in exchange for a much better game that gt is , anychance while im here any explain wtf is going on with the dodgy toe settings on cars after u put full suspension on ? -20 really ?

hello all , ive recently made the switch to gt5 from forza , i was a top 10 runner all across every class and track near enough and have stuck by forza since the start b4 crappy turn 10 came a ruined it but any way my feelings on the question is forza is very very very arcade feeling , nothing close to real or sim , in fact nothing on the game series has ever worked literally everything has glitch fault trust , the only thing forza has over gt in myopinion now that i own gt is the feed back given to the pad thru vibration from the level of grip/bumps on track forza have this down to a T ! gt slightly lacks here but its a small price to pay in exchange for a much better game that gt is , anychance while im here any explain wtf is going on with the dodgy toe settings on cars after u put full suspension on ? -20 really ?

You need to read the AUP, decent grammar is expected :)

Definitely need to read the AUP:
https://www.gtplanet.net/aup

We'd appreciate you putting more effort into your grammar, it's not like you're typing with a controller or phone.

like i just said to the mod im some what dyslexic and i do me best to make it readible for you all , not something i can really do much about ....?

just like to say sorry for any offense caused

Last edited:
A long time I was the owner of gt5 and fm4, so I have the steering wheel Fanatec gt2. And I prefer fm4. In gt5 no model deformation of the tire, not the best suspension and stuff. Physics fm4 more complex, and there is a problem: a complex, realistic physics can not work on the joystick, without the use of hidden assistance.

Therefore turn10 made two types of physics: 1 joystick, 2 for the steering wheel. Furthermore, regardless of what type of physics you choose, if you drive on the joystick or steering wheel 270 degrees and below. In this case, the presence of a hidden assistance, which can not be turned off. Without the hidden aid, driving the joystick has developed into madness.
Physics gt5 more friendly for the joystick players, because it is less realistic physics.

In gt6 more realistic and advanced physics than GT5. So now, before GT6, appear problem driving on the joystick. I think in the GT6, physics on the joystick and steering wheel 900 still will be different

@shved111 -- Players do receive assistance when steering with a joystick, but that's not a separate physics engine, it's simply an additional processing filter applied to controller input before being sent into the physics engine. The physics engine itself doesn't need to change.

@shved111 -- Players do receive assistance when steering with a joystick, but that's not a separate physics engine, it's simply an additional processing filter applied to controller input before being sent into the physics engine. The physics engine itself doesn't need to change.

I understand, but if gt5 through physics, it was very difficult to distinguish the replay with driving and drifting on the joystick, and replay with driving on the steering wheel. That difference in fm4 replay immediately visible. The joystick car rides - silly and funny, especially drifts.

And when I look gameplay GT6, it seems to me driving the joystick to replay different from driving on the steering wheel, as in Forza. I do not mean how smoothly virtual driver turns the steering wheel, I mean how the car looks in the replay

A long time I was the owner of gt5 and fm4, so I have the steering wheel Fanatec gt2. And I prefer fm4. In gt5 no model deformation of the tire, not the best suspension and stuff. Physics fm4 more complex, and there is a problem: a complex, realistic physics can not work on the joystick, without the use of hidden assistance.

Yet people can do this with a controller?

I've successfully lapped with iracing on a controller. All you really need for a controller is speed sensitive steering, so when you are trying to straighten out at 120mph you don't slam the wheel to far.

Forza also helps in a slide by giving you more degrees of steering based on the angle of slide, probably the biggest aid that cannot be shut off by far.

But none of that changes the physics, or how the car reacts to inputs. You could do all those assists (filters really) in real life with a controller. Besides that, these wheels we sim race with are so far from the feeling of a real wheel in a real car it's not even funny.
to me it's controller----wheel (ANY SIM)--------------------------------------------------Reality.

Last edited:
Physics in Forza seem to act as if the tires are actually behaving like tires, whereas GT seems to just process them as solid figures with insufficient representation of scrubbing or anything like that. I noticed that Forza is more sensitive to tuning in that even the slightest setting change affects the feel of the car whereas in GT it only seems to affect raw pace, or at least that's how it seems to me. Also, I've noticed how the two games render the perspective of the car greatly changes gameplay from one game to the other. GT seems to rotate the tracks around the car, but Forza lets the car move along the fixed track. GT PSP was a bit more similar to Forza in this way in my opinion. Collisions also seem to be a bit more plausible in Forza, even though the damage models are pathetic at times... I can run my ARX-01b into a wall at 210 MPH and I just get a few scrapes. But honestly, the controller for PS3 makes it too difficult for me to determine an accurate sense of realism in GT as I can't gradually turn with the D-Pad and my hands are too large to use the analog sticks comfortably. Both series have done fairly well with reducing the "hyper-grip" as I call it (running sub 6 minutes on the ring in GT4 in a street car or a 3:16 on La Sarthe with a Mosler MT900S in FM3 was ridiculous) but both need to make bigger strides in order to live up to their self proclaimed titles as racing simulators. FM5 seems rather disappointing to me, so hopefully GT6 will curb my racing appetite for now.

First off judging physics through replays IMO is very wrong
GT5's replays are using a technique that recreates the track the moment you watch it (the file is not bigger than 100-500kb) therefore it makes it look like its the real thing that is not the case with Forza 4 and i read somewhere that the replays are bugged and odd, anyways..

Having played both games for at least 2 years or more i came to the conclusion that Gran Turismo 5 it SEEMS to be realistic but thats it , Forza 4 FEELS realistic whether its Tyre modelling, Suspension modelling, i dont know...
In GT5 it feels almost like the car its following a certain path like its on rails or something with Forza 4 you are on edge all the time giving you the sense of speed and danger something i never felt with GT5, also all the corrections you have to do especially on RWD cars in order to keep the car from sliding (maybe its because i use a controller on both games but i dont know)

Both games look and feel realistic respectively but none of them come close to the real thing that's the truth
Lets just take all the positive things from both 'simulators' and have fun but nothing more

Back