FITT Race Car Tuner Challenge

Which two tracks should we use? (choose two)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I tuned and drove my car with an Automatic Transmission, hence no shifting notes ;). Transitioning from Online to Offline made the car a bit harsher. Maybe that's why you had trouble putting the power down - though I will admit, I left the car a bit on the edge.

The difference is dramatic. If you just take the same transmission, change the FGR so the top speed is maybe 350-370 km/h and then shift before the redline you'll see a definite change in lap times. First lap you'll be pulling away from your ghost at the line as if you're in the draft. In the C12 at Road Course Indy, 550PP, where I first noticed this, it was more than a full second difference.

Well…uhh…that's a surprise. I'd have thought I'd be hearing complaints of the car being a bit of an arse in low speed corners and such, glad to see it's fairing better in your hands.

A little more power and it would easily run with the other cars. Well done.

Thanks for the review JP, that is awesome time. I have made the same mistake as my past tunes, putting BB at high value:scared:, I should have lowered the BB to manageable number for wheels and stick testers who uses ABS 1 or ABS 0 :ouch: I would recommend lower both front and rear by 3 or 4, but that's too late now as the test has been done.

The LSD, I decided to go for inside wheelspin than outside, playing it safe for testers, don't want the car snap into the sand trap:nervous: And other testers might have noticed the car tendency to understeer on certain corners ( Lesmo and Parabolica for example ), I have tuned the car in a way that trail braking would be necessary to help rotate the car when braking into a corner ( without ABS ), I totally forgot that with ABS 1, this is hard to achieve as the nature of the assist will cause understeer in certain situation ( full power braking instead of threshold or trail braking). Fortunately, you test was done with ABS 0, so it didn't become an issue.

The RM's aren't quite the racecars they are cracked up to be so to get to within even 3 seconds of the top time I thought was quite a feat. They have nowhere near the grip, even with max downforce, of the LM's or other full blown racecars. Fix the braking and LSD and it would be nearer the others as far as lap times go and on a bigger track might even hold it's own, with it's HP advantage.

I'm not an expert at this by any means, this is only my fourth contest, but you have to remember that a wide range of testers will be driving your cars, from the very experienced to those less familiar with the in's and out's of the game. Really good drivers can adapt to a lot of nuances in a tune, other's can't. I tend to look for responsiveness and drivability, but want to avoid having to baby the car all over the track. The more confidence I have in a car, the harder I can push and that's what I look for in my own cars.

Last edited:
The RM's aren't quite the racecars they are cracked up to be so to get to within even 3 seconds of the top time I thought was quite a feat. They have nowhere near the grip, even with max downforce, of the LM's or other full blown racecars. Fix the braking and LSD and it would be nearer the others as far as lap times go and on a bigger track might even hold it's own, with it's HP advantage.

I'm not an expert at this by any means, this is only my fourth contest, but you have to remember that a wide range of testers will be driving your cars, from the very experienced to those less familiar with the in's and out's of the game. Really good drivers can adapt to a lot of nuances in a tune, other's can't. I tend to look for responsiveness and drivability, but want to avoid having to baby the car all over the track. The more confidence I have in a car, the harder I can push and that's what I look for in my own cars.

Thanks for the input there, I should have learned from the past experiences with tester :( Anyway, sometimes I do make crazy tunes that makes the driver have to be on the edge at all times :ouch: I will make sure in future tunes, I will post BB for ABS 1 :D and play it safe with the car's handling.

FITT Race Car Tuner Challenge 500pp: Circuit De Spa-Francorchamps, Racing Hard Tires

Testing Details: Tests were conducted by driving five laps around the track using the offline A-Spec Free Run mode. The quickest green lap time was recorded. Game settings include TCS off, ABS 1, Fuel/Damage off, Grip Real, and Controller Sensitivity 4. These tests were conducted using the Dualshock 3 controller.

ACSR421 - Honda S2000 LM Race Car Lap: 02:27.535
It took me two laps to properly shift the transmission while driving around the course. Eau Rouge was approached using 6th gear and the S2000 LM went on to 154mph before braking. The car held the lines I’ve aspired to drive quite well, brakes were spot on, and I could even get the tail out a bit under throttle. This tune has a balanced chassis and could take the higher speed sections without drama.
Driver Choice Bonus: Outstanding

CSLACR (PSN: GTP_CSL) - Spoon S2000 Race Car '00 Lap: 02:27.360
This car was quick from the first lap. Eau Rouge was easily taken in 6th gear onto a top speed of 153mph. You can tackle most sections of the track with ease without worry about the threat of wheel spin. The brakes gave me a bit trouble when slowing down for the chicane before the start/finish line. This is exactly how a racecar should be at driving at Spa.

CyKosis1973 - Opera Performance S2000 Lap: 02:27.852
This car feels great when driving at about 80-90%. Eau Rouge was easy enough in 5th gear climbing to a top speed of 157mph. Late braking and earlier throttle caused the car to oversteer and lose rear traction. How I downshifted from 2-3th and 6-5th made a huge difference in my laptime and I know there is still a bit of time left with a perfect lap. Overall, very impressive tune considering that when I looked at the settings this car only has 7 rear downforce!

C-ZETA (PSN: V16T91) - Opera Performance S2000 Lap: 02:29.290
This tune is very good at letting the driver regain the driving line when missing the entry on a turn. It shot through Eau Rouge in 6th gear and cruised on to 152mph. The 10 downforce provided enough stability for mid-high speed sections. The top speed seems a bit low compared to the other entries and the brakes were sensitive (19 by a 7/3 balance). Luckily, the ability to regain a line allowed me to worry less about the grass and more about improving my lap. When I was not braking for a corner this car did wonders for driver confidence around the track.
Driver Choice Bonus: Driveable

Jackthalad(Hosted by XDesperado67) - Honda Integra RM Lap: 02:29.802
The Integra had good ability on corner exits and can take both high speed sections flat out. Eau Rouge required a pause in throttle application, loses a bit of speed, but was relatively easy to take on the limit. The Integra managed a speed of 148mph on the main straight. Wheel spin was easily obtained under low speed acceleration but this is the case with most high powered FWD (front wheel drive) cars. The brakes were good enough to get the chassis slowed and settled for corner entry. Good tune for a high powered FWD race car.
Driver Choice Bonus: Drivable

Johnnypenso - Honda S2000 LM Race Car Lap: 02:26.954
This tune had full ballast but didn’t even act like it was carrying all that extra weight. This car really wants the driver to use a gear higher than expected. The extra grunt from the engine made it easy to maintain speed through Eau Rouge and onto a speed of 155mph. The brakes work well and allowed for great accuracy and turn-in on the critical sections of Spa. Great job, mark this tune off as a success.

krenkme - BMW 320i Touring Car '03 Lap: 02:30.768
The lone BMW didn’t disappoint in being a nice driving car. This car was easy through Eau Rouge though, a bit slow on the straight reaching a peak speed of 149mph. This car felt balanced and the brakes worked well I was close to my fastest lap on the second lap. The transmission was nicely spaced to accommodate acceleration and speed considering it lacks a sixth gear. It would be interesting to try this tune with more ballast and more power after the shootout.

MotorCtyHamilton - Acura NSX RM '91 Lap: 02:29.580
The first lap on cold tire was very good. This car had speed, acceleration, and balance of a mid-engine racer. After lap one it was clear that this car was both technical and difficult around the limit of grip. Eau Rouge required a cautious approach when entering the hill else a red lap would be ensured but still obtained a top speed of 153mph. The brakes for the most part were excellent as was the turn-in around the sharper corners. A bit of ballast up front might help reduce the loss of traction and make it safer to drive.

OTS_NEWDRIVER2 - Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car Lap: 02:30.364
The car loses some speed going up the hill at Eau Rouge and achieves the lowest top speed of 147mph. In terms of turn-in, braking, and exit this car is great. The driver makes full use of the all wheel drive and never had any trouble regaining a line. This was an easy to drive race car with a large amount of grip. If only the aero kit could be reduced lower than the minimum values of 15/30. This is another good tune for learning the ins and outs of Spa.

Onboy123 - Honda Integra Type R Touring Lap: 02:28.677
If the front wheels didn’t flash red occasionally, this car could just as easily be assumed to be rear-wheel drive. The front wheels grip relentlessly and many sections allow for cornering speeds similar to the S2000LM tuned racecars in this competition. The Eau Rouge was taken flat out and this Integra reached a speed of 154mph. A simple up shift would allow for grip and throttle out of the corner. The brakes were strong but difficult to get accurate slowing from high speed. This car is easily my favorite FWD car this competition. Nicely done!
Driver Choice: Outstanding

praiano63 - Clio Renault Sport Trophy Race Car Lap: 02:28.195
This Clio MR has a very controllable chassis. Eau Rouge allowed for a bit of driver error up in 6th gear and would lead to a top speed of 155mph on the straight. The front outside tire would smoke under hard braking while turning but it did not have a large impact on front grip. Using the mid-range torque lead to a quicker lap then just slogging through the gears. Overall, this is a good tune for improving driving technique at Spa. The car has a noticeable limit and is relatively safe as long care is taken with the throttle input at low speed.

Ridox2JZGTE (PSN: GTP_Orido) - Honda Civic EK '97 RM Lap: 02:32.959
First impressions driving this tune were that it required extremely careful planning when using the gearing and throttle. The chassis is not suited to Eau Rouge as it want to push wide if the driver is slightly off on entry. The straight line speed was very good topping off at 156mph before the attempting to brake. The brakes were rather difficult to gauge and seemed to stop at varying distances throughout testing. There is a massive amount of wheel spin and understeering present in this car. Keeping it on the track for a clean lap was very much a chore. Less camber, reduced power, and a bit more front aero could help to control wheel spin. This would also give additional grip around the higher speed sections of Spa.
Driver Choice Bonus: Drivable… but just

robrabbitman(PSN: bloodsugarrush) - Acura NSX RM '91 Lap: 02:29.113
The first thing I needed to do was add some ballast to reduce the performance to 500pp. 15kg (the tune needed 9kg to maintain 500pp after five laps) was added to ensure no performance gains during testing. This didn’t affect the tunes weight distribution of 45/55. Eau Rouge was moderately difficult and the NSX went on to a top speed of 154mph. The brakes were strong but the car would understeer on a few of the turns. Like the other NSX RM caution must be made on the higher speed sections but the lower speed sections had great turn-in.

ugabugaz - Honda S2000 LM Race Car Lap: 02:27.987
The third S2000 LM I tested and falls just off pace from the fastest in the class. The Eau Rouge was taken in 6th gear and this car went on to a top speed of 153mph. This car is a bit tail happy out of the corners. Just a slight delay of throttle this car will mostly obey its drivers inputs. The off throttle turn-in is great for the mid-high speed sections. This allowed a great exit to gain as much speed as I could before the next brake point.

VTiRoj (PSN: RoJJieE) - Honda Integra RM Lap: 02:28.592
This is another great front wheel drive racecar with just a hint of wheel spin. The turn-in grip and balance through the exit allow for this car to quickly collect speed. Eau Rouge is taken with a very quick lift and actually was one of the faster tunes up the hill. The Integra goes on to hit a top speed of 155mph on the straight. Brakes were good but did need a bit of caution when slowing from very high speed. The chassis always stayed planted through the many sweeping sections of Spa. Nicely done!

XDesperado67 - Toyota Altezza Touring Car Lap: 02:27.300
This is the second sedan in this competition and it was a fun surprise of a tune. Eau Rouge was a bit more challenging than other tested cars as this car has to be in just the right spot to make it up the hill without a red lap. With only five gears to work with, the Altezza managed a respectable 153mph top speed. Brakes were strong and I never once missed the tricky chicane before the start finish line. The ability for a driver to push at just under the limit of grip on both entry and exit is what really set this car apart. Well done!

This was quite a large group of cars but I managed to survive driving all of them. I enjoyed quite a few tunes and I was able to learn a bit about the track and how to go about tuning a racecar for speed and grip. This was a great event and very good practice for a fairly technical racing course. Again, thank you tuners and thank you Motor City Hami for sponsoring the event. :cheers:
Keep Driving!:dopey:👍

@Theo Outstanding!👍👍
Thanks for the strong showing and keeping my hopes alive amidst the sea of S2Ks.:crazy::lol::cheers:

FITT Race Car Tuner Challenge 500pp: Circuit De Spa-Francorchamps, Racing Hard Tires

Testing Details: Tests were conducted by driving five laps around the track using the offline A-Spec Free Run mode. The quickest green lap time was recorded. Game settings include TCS off, ABS 1, Fuel/Damage off, Grip Real, and Controller Sensitivity 4. These tests were conducted using the Dualshock 3 controller.

Ridox2JZGTE (PSN: GTP_Orido) - Honda Civic EK '97 RM Lap: 02:32.959
First impressions driving this tune were that it required extremely careful planning when using the gearing and throttle. The chassis is not suited to Eau Rouge as it want to push wide if the driver is slightly off on entry. The straight line speed was very good topping off at 156mph before the attempting to brake. The brakes were rather difficult to gauge and seemed to stop at varying distances throughout testing. There is a massive amount of wheel spin and understeering present in this car. Keeping it on the track for a clean lap was very much a chore. Less camber, reduced power, and a bit more front aero could help to control wheel spin. This would also give additional grip around the higher speed sections of Spa.
Driver Choice Bonus: Drivable… but just

Great lap time Theo, thanks for the input, I was afraid with higher downforce, top speed would be sacrificed, so I deliberately went the lowest possible without compromising handling and cornering speed too much.

The brakes, yeah, my bad, I tuned it without ABS and threshold + trail braking was necessary to kill the understeer during testing and tuning... totally forgotten that with ABS, understeer would be more prevalent. About the camber, yeah I set it just like the real Top Fuel Zero 1000 race car ( the tune is a homage to that car ), massive front and rear :crazy:, shouldn't have done that as it makes the car rather hard to handle with throttle input around corners. The real one also have tendency to understeer with 388PS:scared:. Anyway, thanks again for driving my tune:dopey:

I think all scores that have been posted are now in the official scoring sheets. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=7859252#post7859252

XDesperado dropped to 4th in the 625PP class, but retains the lead in the 500PP group. Cant believe how close the times are in the 500PP class. Losts of well tuned race cars.

Look like it'll come right down to the wire..good show:tup:👍

Let me check my sked and I might be able to test the 500PP class. I'll get back to you on that.

Not surprised that I dropped to 4th in 625PP class, car just doesn't have quite enough top end to keep the lap times closer.

As for the 500PP Class its looking just like the online races we had...I'm quicker out the gate but those pesky S2Ks are riding my bumper just waiting for that one little slip that lets them sneak by...:crazy::lol:

OTS_NEWDRIVER2 - Mitsubishi FTO Super Touring Car Lap: 02:30.364
The car loses some speed going up the hill at Eau Rouge and achieves the lowest top speed of 147mph. In terms of turn-in, braking, and exit this car is great. The driver makes full use of the all wheel drive and never had any trouble regaining a line. This was an easy to drive race car with a large amount of grip. If only the aero kit could be reduced lower than the minimum values of 15/30. This is another good tune for learning the ins and outs of Spa.

This was quite a large group of cars but I managed to survive driving all of them. I enjoyed quite a few tunes and I was able to learn a bit about the track and how to go about tuning a racecar for speed and grip. This was a great event and very good practice for a fairly technical racing course. Again, thank you tuners and thank you Motor City Hami for sponsoring the event. :cheers:
Keep Driving!:dopey:👍
Thank you Theo for driving my car and also the good lap time 👍 you are faster than me on my car :dopey:
I hope I can take it down than the minimum 15/30 at list it will help the car to increase the power on it but :( .

ND :dopey:

Busily working on WRS stuff until tomorrow, and family-weekend-Christmas type things. I did actually test and have notes on a few extra, including yours, but I wasn't sure I was being fair to the ones I tested that session - was quite tired. Wanted to get another impression.

My week tends to have widely varying levels of availability. I'm usually able to keep tabs on things via the mobile app, though.

CyKosis1973 - Opera Performance S2000 Lap: 02:27.852
This car feels great when driving at about 80-90%. Eau Rouge was easy enough in 5th gear climbing to a top speed of 157mph. Late braking and earlier throttle caused the car to oversteer and lose rear traction. How I downshifted from 2-3th and 6-5th made a huge difference in my laptime and I know there is still a bit of time left with a perfect lap. Overall, very impressive tune considering that when I looked at the settings this car only has 7 rear downforce!

Glad the Opera didn't rip your face off, it's an unruly ride. That's mostly my fault though. I've since worked on a duplicate of this car and will publish it soon, better control under braking and a little extra sideways grip has helped it a lot.

I'd already tried the other S2000s before I drove this one, I was staggered at how quick it was after I'd had to work a little to get good results from the others. Obviously the thing which is keeping it close to the others is the almost complete lack of downforce. Where the other cars are much faster through the turns, the Opera flies off into the horizon once the road straightens up.

Best thing about this car is that you can sneak it into Street Car lobbies, as it sits somewhere inbetween street and track 👍

Thank you kindly for your time and efforts...

{Cy}

My confidence in my own driving skill is dropping with each car I test at Monza. How are you guys running such fast times in the 625PP class? From the results posted so far, people are even one second faster than me with my own car. Should I be cutting into the paint more through the switch backs?

My confidence in my own driving skill is dropping with each car I test at Monza. How are you guys running such fast times in the 625PP class? From the results posted so far, people are even one second faster than me with my own car. Should I be cutting into the paint more through the switch backs?

As long as it doesn't give you a red time, and you do the same thing for every car, I say go for it! Then again it's your shootout so you make the rules :)

You can cut some of those chicanes pretty hard and stay green, as in totally off the track but somehow green. :yuck:

I've been assuming nobody is doing this though, and everyone is keeping at least 2 on track surface.

As for what's legal in the competiton, a green lap is a green lap. Wherever PD drew the line for a red time is fine under the rules. I have been driving four wheels on the surface. This is some of the difference. The rest is probably DS3 and my own skills. It just hurts seeing times one and two seconds slower than the rest of the pack.

I try to go by the usual GTP rules of 2 wheels on the track and the curbing (not the green stuff) is track. Cutting them as close as possible with 90% of the car to the inside of the curbing makes a big difference in lap times especially in the chicanes obviously

IMHO, consistency is more important than times. As long as your times show which car is faster and by how much you could drive twice as slow as everyone else and still be relevant with everyone else. In fact driving twice as slow would make you as relevant as two drivers!

Testing results:

I know that you all had a hard work to tune this monsters, and my ratings just says what, and how, fits to my style only.

Test settings:
Laps at Monza (625PP) = 15
Grip Reduction on Track Edge = Real
All aids OFF, except ABS = 1
Logitech G27 Racing Wheel​

Motor City Hami Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car 01:39.808 Outstanding
  • Perfectly stable, amazing power and speed.

ACSR421 Ford GT LM Spec II Test Car 01:40.398 Outstanding
  • Very good, just a little, little unstable.

ugabugaz Pagani Zonda LM Race Car 01:40.509 Outstanding
  • It should win but understeers. Bad oil. PP went down to 624.

Johnnypenso Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car #91 '00 01:40.752 Outstanding
  • Powerful, stable, safe.

XDesperado67 BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01 01:40.924 Driveable
  • Felt a little loose, but good enough.

C-ZETA Citroën GT by Citroën Race Car 01:41.392 Driveable
  • Good, but tranny problems.

ONBOY123 Chevrolet Camaro LM Race Car 01:41.554 Outstanding
  • Stable, safe an a pleasure to drive it.

Ealirendur Mazda RX-7 LM Race Car 01:41.562 Holy Crap
  • Wild horse, very unstable, a big potential car.

krenkme BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01 01:41.894 Driveable
  • Stable but loose on acceleration, wished more grip.

CSLACR Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) '00 01:42.596 Outstanding
  • Very well balanced, stable and smooth.

Ridox2JZGTE Lexus IS F RM '07 01:42.895 Holy Crap
  • Red tires, annoying tranny and breaks.

Thank you all for this great oportunity to test and compare these jewels!

P. S. : I have the replays except Ridox wich I've forgot to save.

@danbojte - thank you for testing.

Updated 625PP points sheet. danbojte's testing just confirmed the previous test results - no changes in the top three - a little shuffling of the mid-pack.

Last edited:
Think with Ronald's results that Johnny just slipped by me into 1st overall in the 500PP class.:drool:

Good stuff and turning into a great race.:cheers:

Thanks for the usual great job of testing Ron.👍👍

Think with Ronald's results that Johnny just slipped by me into 1st overall in the 500PP class.:drool:

Good stuff and turning into a great race.:cheers:

Thanks for the usual great job of testing Ron.👍👍

It's definitely going to come down to the wire...probably decided on the very last test driver...:nervous::scared:
Nice to see two different cars in the mix too..

It's definitely going to come down to the wire...probably decided on the very last test driver...:nervous::scared:
Nice to see two different cars in the mix too..
Yeah my "T300" vs the horde of S2Ks!:lol:
Afraid the S2Ks got the edge in lap times so the drivers choice becomes critical.:nervous::scared:

I never expected to do well in a FWD against the S2000 horde, so I'm really happy with 5th right now. With that said, I was totally aiming to be the highest ranked FF car and I'm achieving that right now. :D

Thanks to all the testers! 👍

Happy to see my car in the middle of the results. Like i've said first, i let it a bit too sharp for the event. with a few more rear downforce you don't loose a lot but it's like on rail.

I'm sorry but i will not be able to test the 500PP like i was supposed to do. I have too much things to do at the moment and the update of my garage after 2.09 take all my GT5 time.

There is also a good surprise for the end of the year.:)👍

><(((((°>°°°°°°°°

Back