Grand Valley 300km Companion & Competition

• Thread starter GTsail
  • 291 comments
Race notes at half-way mark: I should really be about 6 seconds further ahead at this point, but twice I've driven off into the sand out the outside of the first hairpin and twice lost about 3 seconds. I guess I'm just not used to all the speed that my Mazda RX-7 can deliver at this stratified level of tune, so I just can't handle the speed!:dopey:
GTsail

Nonsense, you merely missed your braking point!

But seriously, GTsail, your amusing and informative proclivity for acquiring the derriere guarde position at the start must be politely remarked upon. :dopey: The data provided is of a higher order, and well appreciated. :drool: But it can't be avoided that the procedure gives the impression of a wolf inspecting a herd of sheep! :sly: I respectfully request that you try this in a Gran Turismo Nissan Skyline GT-R (Pace Car) '01. :rolleyes: The flashing lights on top giving the final stamp of authority to what might otherwise be considered, err, uh, sandbagging(?) :lol:

Respectfully submitted and Happy Holidays,
Steve

Last edited:
But seriously, GTsail, your amusing and informative proclivity for acquiring the derriere guarde position at the start must be politely remarked upon. :dopey: The data provided is of a higher order, and well appreciated. :drool: But it can't be avoided that the procedure gives the impression of a wolf inspecting a herd of sheep! :sly:

Wonderfully written!!:) HA!!:lol:

Yeah, I'm the Big Bad Wolf!!

Don't let your children out at night when GTsail is on the moor!!;)

In addition to my fur coat (useful this time of year), I must confess that I enjoy looking at the other cars as I pass them, so a slow start gives me the chance to take a look at the AI cars at the back of the field, that otherwise would recede rear-wards without any fan-fare. Rarely do any to these back-markers get eaten.;)

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:
After the above discussion, I decided that flashing lights would be an advantage at the "Valley"!:sly:

So I check my garage for a worthy canine and decide upon the Nissan Gran Turismo Skyline GTR (Pace Car) '01 which has a nice two-tone red and white coat of paint.

I have my crack pit-crew give the Pace Car a tune and end up with the following spec's:

Horsepower: 331
Weight: 1580 (added 20kg of ballast)
PP value: 465
P.Limiter: 95.6%
Tires: SH (used throughout the race)
Aquired: 11/29/2011
Switches: 0
Wins: 0
Beginning mileage: 1,233.0 miles
Ending mileage: 1,416.4 miles
No skid

I'm going against alternative lineup # 2 (after a FF Challenge - Beginner race), which has the following AI:

1) Honda NSX '01
2) Mits GTO Twin Turbo MR '95
3) Infiniti G35 Coupe '06
4) Honda S2000 '06
5) efini RX-7 Type RZ FD '96
6) Stagea 25t RS FOUR S '98
7) GTsail in the GT Skyline Pace Car
8) Lancer EVO VIII GSR '03
9) Impreza Coupe WRX typeR
10) Impreza Coupe 22B-STi '98
11) Honda NSX Type R '02
12) Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00

The flag drops and we're off for another tour of the Valley!

Right from the start, I'm surrounded by lambs:D (just starting to grow their winter coats). I pull over to the right and slow down so I can look for stragglers.:sly:

Licking my chops, I follow the 11th place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00 into the first hairpin. I snap at the heels of the Nissan Skyline GTR R34 going thru the fast esses and then dive past the Skyline GTR R34 going into the second hairpin. No paint was exchanged, but I do receive a painful shock of static electricity from rubbing against the Skyline's silvery coat.:ouch: I then immediately out-accelerate the 10th place Impreza Coupe 22B-STi as we come out of the second hairpin. The Impreza Coupe 22B-STi has dyed his wool a nice Subaru blue, perhaps with the intention of camouflaging himself when water is near. Unlucky for the Impreza Coupe 22B that I came upon him waay before the bridge!! I run down and nip at the heels of the 9th place Honda NSX Type R '02 for the rest of the lap, watching for the opportune moment to pounce!! Just as we accelerate up the S/F straight, the NSX Type R '02 runs past the slow moving Stagea 25t RS FOUR '98, who must be with child, or at least have kids in the back seat! I run past the 9th place Stagea 25t RS FOUR before we get to the S/F line. At the end of lap # 1, I see that I'm 13.6 seconds behind the pack-leading Honda NSX '01, who has scampered off into the lead, as fast as her four legs can carry her.

On lap # 2, the NSX Type R '02 runs past the Impreza Coupe WRX typeR, so I follow and pass the 8th place Impreza Coupe type R as we go thru the first hairpin.

It takes the NSX Type R '02 until the fast sweepers on lap # 3, before he gets past the Infiniti G35 Coupe. I follow and run past the 7th place G35 Coupe going thru the second hairpin.

On lap # 4, I follow the NSX Type R '02 when he goes past the 6th place Lancer EVO VIII '03. The Lancer EVO VIII GSR wears a nice silvery-grey coat of wool, which blends in nicely with the Grand Valley tarmac, so I had a hard time seeing him until I got extremely close and down-wind. I also follow the NSX Type R '02 when he passes the purple-coated 5th place Mits GTO Twin Turbo '95 as they trot across the bridge. At the end of lap # 4, I see that I've fallen 26 seconds behind the race leading NSX '01 after a 2.14.436 lap.

On lap # 6, I set an early lap record of 2.10.636 (somewhat draft aided) and end the lap only 21 seconds behind the pack leading NSX '01.

Just as they begin lap # 9, the NSX Type R '02 runs past the efini RX-7 Type RZ '96 just past the S/F line. I follow and pass the 4th place efini RX-7 Type RZ as we go thru the fast sweepers before the second furpin.

At the end of lap # 11, I catch a little grass on the outside of the fast right-hander just as the S/F straight begins. This causes my Skyline to slew towards the inside of the track and I smack the armco on the right-side of the track. I have to make a multitude of steering corrections to prevent my Skyline from getting sucked-in by the pit-lane tractor beam. Its a very close call!!:eek: Thankfully, the tractor-beam operators were taking a coffee-break (since its way to early for any pit-stops) so I'm able to re-accelerate and finish lap # 11 on the track proper. My lap time was a 2.14.375, which certainly shows its compromised nature. This sorry bit of driving has allowed the 3rd place Honda S2000 '06 to scamper away, so I'm unable to catch the Honda S2000 during lap # 12.

On lap # 13, I catch and pass the 3rd place Honda S2000 under heavy braking for the first hairpin. At the end of lap # 13, I find myself in 3rd place, some 12.4 seconds behind the pack leading NSX '01 after a decent 2.11.172 lap. I'm about 4 seconds behind the 2nd place NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 16, the race leading Honda NSX '01 catches the 12th place Infiniti G35 Coupe. The G35 Coupe is moving pretty slowly, perhaps due to the small bite that I took the first time I ran past her on lap # 3.:D The Honda NSX '01 takes some time to get past the limping G35 Coupe, so this enables the 2nd place NSX Type R '02 to catch-up as well. At the end of lap # 16, I'm only 2.6 seconds behind the pack leading Honda NSX '01 after a decent 2.12.279 lap.

At the end of the S/F straight at the beginning of lap # 17, the NSX Type R '02 drafts past the pack leading Honda NSX '01. I'm able to catch and pass the 2nd place Honda NSX '01 as we go thru the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. At the end of lap # 17, I see that I'm only 1.1 seconds behind the race leading NSX Type R '02 after a 2.11.531 lap. The Honda NSX '01 is being driven by R.Wolf, appropriately named for this race, so there are now two canines chasing after the race leading NSX Type R '02.:D Perhaps together we can bring down the Type R!

On lap # 20, we catch and pass the 10th place Impreza Coupe 22B-STi just as we accelerate up the S/F straight at the end of the lap. Passing the 22B-STi Impreza has slowed down the NSX Type R '02, so I'm able to pull up to his rear-bumper and begin lap # 21 only 0.137 seconds behind him.:) I check my paws, and see they they are only about 15% gone, so I decide to try to get 30 laps out of them.

After 23 laps, I'm still only 1.3 seconds behind the pack leading NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.12.333 lap. My tires are starting to give up a little of their edge, but decent lap times are still possible, so I carry on.

On lap # 26, I get a draft from the race leading NSX Type R, so at the end of the lap I'm only behind him by 0.191 seconds after a draft aided lap of 2.12.577.

At the end of lap # 28, the race leading NSX Type R catches the Infiniti G35 Coupe again as they begin to accelerate up the S/F straight. This baulks the NSX Type R a bit, so I'm able to draft past both of them and cross the S/F line with a 0.708 second lead after a 2.13.946 lap. Sheep can be your friends!:)

With a one second lead over the NSX Type R, I pit at the end of lap # 30 for a new set of SH paws and 45 liters of fuel. 45 liters of fuel is quite a lot, perhaps having a light-bar on the roof is not the most aerodynamic of racing styles and is likely to use a few extra liters of fuel as I push my Skyline thru the Valley. My paws were about 30% gone, so they still had some life left, but fast laps were no longer possible. After about 30 seconds being stationary getting the fuel, the Wolf/Honda NSX '01 drives past and drops me into 3rd place. I get released before the 4th place Honda S2000 '06 can catch up with me.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 31, I see that I've fallen 45 seconds behind the race leading NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 32, I catch and pass the Wolf/Honda NSX '01 who is moving pretty slowly on his worn tires. Perhaps he has a thorn in one of his paws.

After 33 laps, I see that I'm now only 39 seconds behind the race leading NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.11.752 lap.

After 36 laps, I'm only 24 second behind the race leading NSX Type R after another decent 2.11.872 lap.

On lap # 40, I catch and lap the 6th place efini RX-7 type RZ and end the lap only 8 seconds behind the race leading NSX Type R after another decent 2.11.926 lap.

On lap # 41, I catch and lap the 5th place Nissan Skyline GTR R34. The NSX Type R '02 pits at the end of lap # 41, so I drive past and take over the race lead.:)

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 42, I see that I have a 33 second lead over the 2nd place NSX Type R.

On lap # 44, I snack on the 4th place Honda S2000 '06, so he goes a lap down.

After 45 laps, I have a 28 second lead over the NSX Type R '02.

After 50 laps, I still have a 21 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.12.429 lap.

After 55 laps, I still have a 16 second lead over the NSX Type R.

After 58 laps, my lead is down to 11 seconds over the NSX Type R after a 2.13.697 lap. This was my third 2.13.xxx lap in a row, so my tires are worn and I'm beginning to wonder who is the wolf!:nervous:

After a 2.13.176 lap # 60, the race win is mine!

Race time was 2 hours, 14 minutes, 10.718 seconds.

Finish order:
--------------
1) BBW in the Skyline Pace Car
2) NSX Type R '02----------- 8.719 secs back (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.10.571)
3) Honda NSX '01------------ 1min, 49.660 back (pits on lap # 38)(BL 2.12.588)
4) Honda S2000-------------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.13.480)
5) RX-7 Type RZ------------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 38)(BL 2.13.567)
6) Skyline GTR R34----------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 40)(BL 2.14.532)
7) Lance EVO VIII------------ 2 laps down (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.16.038)
8) Impreza typeR------------- 2 laps down (pits on lap # 45)(BL 2.15.532)
9) Impreza 22B-STi----------- 2 laps down (pits on lap # 46)(BL 2.16.170)
10) Stagea 25t RS------------ 3 laps down (pits on lap # 42)(BL 2.18.945)
11) GTO Twin Turbo---------- 3 laps down (pits on lap # 40)(BL 2.19.655)
12) G35 Coupe '06------------ 4 laps down (pits on lap # 44)(BL 2.21.110)

Post race notes:
-----------------
The race was great fun! The Skyline Pace Car handles pretty well and doesn't abuse its tires too much. Snacking on the sheep during the race does compromise one's speed due to weight-gain, and it makes the track a pretty lonely place as we get to the end of the race. As you know, I usually check the race replays, and let me tell you it was pretty funny seeing my Skyline Pace Car with lights flashing, pull over to the right-side of the track at the beginning of first lap, and letting the field stream past!:lol:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday's to all,
BBW/GTsail

Last edited:
As far as the Endurance races, I unlocked them yesterday. So I took my first crack at this event. I wouldnt consider myself to be good. I race with a Controller.

My car:
Mazda RX7
468 PP
I added a Wing and a FC Suspension with the stock SH tires.
The only Aid I use is ABS set at 1.

At the beginning of the race I hard charged to the lead by the end of lap 1 with the '02 NSX right on my bumper. I dont have the exact details. Took place
My first 20 laps he held right on me running consecutive 2.12.500's. He was clearly faster through portions of the track. The whole race was me and the '02 NSX.
On Lap 53 I went into the first hairpin alittle to hot, After missing the braking point I pressed the handbrake and drifted the first hairpin. Allowing him to close the little gap I created by moving through traffic (The NSX was awful at overtaking Lap Traffic) After my error he stayed with me until the final corner where he drove by me and proceeded to pull away. I did however lower my laptime to a 2.12.006 I proved to be alittle quicker now that I was able to draft off of him.

I dont remember the completed race times, I'm planning on redoing the race this evening for more complete details and hopefully the win. I do have to say though, I never blocked the NSX. He only tried to over take me 2 times before the final Overtaking. In the end it was alot closer than I expected.
Just my Little Experience with my first GT5Endurance race.

As far as the Endurance races, I unlocked them yesterday. So I took my first crack at this event.

My car:
Mazda RX7
468 PP
I added a Wing and a FC Suspension with the stock SH tires.
The only Aid I use is ABS set at 1.

Welcome to the Valley FattMatt93!

An excellent, close race for your first attempt, especially going against the Honda NSX type R!

Which Mazda RX-7 did you use?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Recently, one of our more illustrious drivers has mentioned the HP gain that their car evidenced during the GV300km race. See below >>>>

Car: Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STi '10
PP: 460/465 <--- (no oil change, but new car breaks in with slight hp increase during the race)
HP: 303
Weight: 1490Kg

As you know, new cars have a break-in period where their HP and PP value will increase over the first 200 miles driven or so. This does not occur for used cars. Some used cars actually have their HP decrease over the course of 200 miles.

This poses the question of how should these new cars be ranked in regard to their PP values:
The beginning PP value?
The ending PP value?
An average PP value?

For ranking used cars, the question is: should we adjust the PP values?
The beginning PP value?
The ending PP value?
An average PP value?

I'm of three minds in regard to this:
1) Its a nice "secret" advantage that we can use to beat the AI!
2) Its an un-fair advantage when comparing PP values between used and new cars, and something must be done to level the playing field.
3) I don't care because it doesn't make enough of a difference.

I have always been ranking the cars based upon the beginning PP values, but I am open to considering other methods.

What are everyone's thoughts on this matter?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Inspired by axletramp's gambit in post # 225 above with his new Honda NSX Type R '02, I resolve to tune and race a similar used Acura NSX '04 in the hopes of improving my throttle control. I will tune this Acura NSX under the assumption it tunes similarly to other NSX's. My plan is to campaign this or a similar NSX in a variety of races at Grand Valley, Laguna Seca and even the Nurburgring in order to improve my driving and tuning skills.

First, I survey a dozen or more available NSX tunes. Then I test some in practice sessions at the Grand Valley raceway. I then select one and begin tweaking it to suit me and the track, one small change at a time. I endure perhaps 20 three or four lap sessions, and get to lapping comfortably in the '10's. The car still understeers slightly on entry and can step out at the rear on exit with too much throttle, but it seems I'm at a plateau. I also do some testing on Comfort Soft tires. Okay, fine, but I still have no idea of the tire wear or actual race condition handling, so I enter at a hopefully conservative 459 PP, selecting GTsail's lineup with the Type R '02 on the back row, and go for it!

Acura NSX '04
Horsepower: 294
Weight: 1357
PP value: 459/457
P.Limiter: 85.0%
Beginning mileage: 3115.4 miles
Ending mileage: 3298.3
No SRF, G27

Summary:
Total time 2:12:51.754
Fastest lap 2:10.233 (lap 45, no tow)
MoV 1:11.xxx

Alternative GV lineup # 2 (after an FF Challenge - Beginner Series race)
1) Honda NSX '01
2) Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95
4) Honda S2000 '06
5) Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ FD '96
7) Dotini tune Acura NSX '04
9) Impreza Coupe WRX STi type R Version '98
11) Honda NSX Type R '02
12) Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) '00

Lap 1: 2:14.569, Ran a clean and neat lap without contact to cross the line 2nd behind the NSX '01. I do run wide coming onto the main straight, putting two wheels on the grass! :eek:
Lap 2: 2:11.188, Passed the NSX '01 at the 2nd hairpin. The Type R is 7th.
Lap 3: 2:13.361, The Type R is 6th.
Lap 4: 2:10.572, The "R" is 6th.
Lap 5: 2:11.299, The "R" is up to 3rd, but I'm pulling away.
Lap 13: The Honda NSX Type R is now 2nd, but I'm 23.625 seconds ahead of him.
Lap 18: 2:10.967
Lap 19: I'm up over 27 seconds, but my back end is sliding under deceleration around some of the slower corners. I resolve to increase my LSD decel setting, but also to pit for fresh rubber, despite seeing only 15% wear on the rear tires.
Lap 20: Pit for tires and 16 liters fuel.
Lap 21: I emerge in 2nd a handful of seconds down to the Type R
Lap 24: I pass the leading NSX Type R '02 for the lead, and begin to pull away.
Lap 40: I pit for rubber and 8 liters gas. The Type R is behind almost a minute, rear tires almost gone. He loses an extra 11 seconds taking on more gas than me when he pits at the end of his lap 40.
Lap 42: My lead is 1:09
Lap 60: My lead is 1:11

Finish order:
1) Dotini Acura NSX '04------Total time 2:12:51.754 (BL 2:10.233, lap 45, no tow)
2) NSX Type R '02----------- 1 minute, 11 seconds back (pits on lap # 40) (BL 2.10.380)
3) Honda NSX '01------------ (BL 2.12.588)
4) Honda S2000-------------- (BL 2.13.745)
5) RX-7 Type RZ------------- (BL 2.13.567)
6) Skyline GT-R (R34)--------(BL 2.14.644)
7) Lancer EVO VIII
8) Impreza WRX Sti typeR
9) Impreza 22B-STi
10) Stagea 25t RS
11) GTO Twin Turbo
12) G35 Coupe '06

Conclusion:
So far, so good! I had no AI contact other than a little bump drafting. One half-spin on lap 55 cost me maybe 6 seconds. Other than that, a bunch of slow corners had ugly black marks where my misadjusted LSD betrayed my slightly inadequate setup. From here, I will retune and retry at a slightly lower PP level. Once I'm fully comfortable with the setup, I'll try CS tires, and maybe some other venues.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
I decided to try out the new "Super Stock" category against the NSX Type R '02, the fastest of the rabbits. Decided(rather quickly) to run a premium Z4 M Coupe '08. I hope I didn't overlook any rules, but I had good fun anyway.

I tried once with the car as-delivered, but for a variety of reasons had to abandon the first attempt and call it a practice session.

So starting the second attempt, here's the stats:
BMW Z4 M Coupe '08 (premium)
59.9 Miles on the car, dealer oil.
466PP.
1495kg.
333HP, 263ft-lbs.
Sports Hard tires.
All stock parts, no ballast, no limiter.
6/3 brakes. Nothing else adjustable.
No aids.

Starting Lineup:

Stagea 25t RS FOUR S '98
GTO Twin Turbo MR '95
Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
Lancer Evo VIII GSR '03
NSX Type R '02 - R. Bueno
Lancer Evo X GSR P.P. '07
Z4 M Coupe '08 - Morgoth_666
Supra RZ - '97
Skyline GT-R (R32) '89
G35 Coupe '06
NSX '97
Impreza Coupe WRX Type-R STi Versi... never did get the full name :)

Race Notes:

With some laps under my belt and a couple more PP from partial break-in, the other cars offer almost no resistance and I fly up the order. Took the Evo X and Bueno in the early-lap esses. The Evo VIII tried dragging me up the hill from the next hairpin and lost.

The Fairlady Z looked like he'd hold his spot entering the tunnels but parked at the last instant. Beat the GTO out of the second tunnel and outran him over the bridge. Caught a big slipstream from the big wagon in first and passed him just after the line, hitting 145 at the Dunlop bridge. I only reached that speed once more, when I got a big draft from him again.

Didn't stuff it in turn 2 and I'm off to try to build a gap. Bueno took 5th shortly after I passed him and took 4th on the straight. 3rd fell early on lap 2, looks like I'm not going to dust him off early.

The Stagea doesn't give him any trouble as he goes by in the last tunnel, so after two laps my lead to his Type R NSX is a mere 3.5 seconds.

He nearly catches me on lap 4, but then has some sort of trouble on lap 5. I pull away to almost 2 seconds in front running :13s and then he starts to come back again after my first 2:12 lap on lap 7, a .783. Fully back on my bumper after 8 laps now. I'm giving him as little slipstream as I can but don't intend to do anything unsporting.

After several more 2:13s I dip into the high :12s again on lap 12. I seem to be maintaining a variable gap of between 1 and 2 seconds. I'm sure he'd have got past by now if he didn't slow down for the final corner but, alas, he does.

We catch the G35 at the end of lap 15. I slipstream past on the front straight, Bueno doesn't make it(after having got back to only a second behind me. This means my lead jumps up to 5.2 seconds.

Next lap that isn't a 2:13 is a :14.3 on #17. That lets him back to +4.3 seconds.

Things get very busy after that with traffic over the next few laps. We work past a good 6 or 7 more cars, two groups of two included. I'm also having some trouble adjusting to my wearing tires and making some mistakes, which caused more of the :14s and :15s I was running than the traffic did. I drop the brakes to 5/2 to be a little more gentle on the worn tires.

Through all of this, the gap came down to 3.2 seconds and then back up to 6 seconds. With my tires about 25% worn and my driving settling back down, it seems a good lap is now a low :14, after 26 laps and 58 minutes.

The G35 gets lapped a second time half-way through lap 30.

Bueno has more trouble with traffic and probably tires by now, as do I. I set one 2:16.5 on lap 30, the rest :14s and :15s. The gap grows to 8, then back to 6, then back to 8. I bring the BMW into the pits after 32 laps, holding a lead of 7.5 seconds at the bridge.

He passes me to lead lap 32 just before I come to a halt in my pit box. A new set of Sports Hards go on and 35 liters go in the tank(A bit more than I was expecting).

I exit the pits 2nd, 34 seconds behind the NSX. This comes down to 31.3 after catching back up to the G35 on my first hot lap.

Set the brakes back up a notch. Straight back into the 2:13s out of the pits, then a nice 2:12.190 sets a new fastest on lap 36. After 37 laps the gap is only 19 seconds setting up what appears likely to be a runaway victory. However, 75 miles of racing remain.

Lap 39 sees me make two careless minor taps on the wall exiting turn 2 and exiting the turn onto the bridge, as well as being held up by a slower car. This results in a 2:15.0. I make up for it a little with a :12.9 on lap 40, by which time I'm only 7.7 seconds behind.

He pits after lap 40, but on lap 41 I get caught in a big mess of traffic with the '97 NSX apparently trying to either lap or pass 3 slower cars. I get them all but it results in a horrid 2:18.4 lap time. The gap to Bueno's Type R is now 24 seconds and dropping, but he'll have to get around the traffic too somehow. The slower NSX in particular may cause him trouble.

2:13, 2:12, 2:12, 2:13. Traffic negated some of Bueno's gains and after 45 laps and 1 hour 41 minutes he's 21 seconds behind me. Like clockwork, I caught the G35 on lap 45, although my few bad laps meant I only "gained" a quarter of a lap on him this time.

A couple of issues on lap 47 lead to a 2:14.4. 17.3 seconds ahead now.

He seems to be running the race's fastest laps right now. I'm still running 13s(the last two 13.0) and he's closed to only 14 seconds behind now, after 50 laps are complete.

A 2:12.7 on lap 51 and he hasn't gained in two laps now. Traffic (4 cars!) ahead of me, tires all down a good 10%, think I'll dial the brakes back a notch again. I just need to keep it steady.

I get through 3 cars without incident as one pulls away, but it still results in a 2:14. Lead is 12 seconds.

It takes a full lap before I pass that car, an Impreza. lap 54 turns out to be a very rough lap with some mistakes, 2:15.7. Something strange must have happened because I've also just caught and passed the G35 again, 6 laps ahead of schedule. The gap to Bueno grew and shrank and grew and shrank and is now 11.7 seconds.

Lap 55 is another less than great one but at least it's :14.0, and Bueno has dropped back to 12.8.

Lap 56 is better, 58 worse at 2:15.3. Gap is 10.1 seconds.

A couple low :14s and a :14.5 finish the job with a final margin of only 8 seconds. Not the blowout I feared, but there's a lot of time left in the car for sure. It is an absolute joy to drive however, albeit not so much to listen to.

Finish order:
Code:
[SIZE=3]
Morgoth_666          2:14.55.925 (FL 2:12.190)
R. Bueno             +8 seconds (didn't think to check his fastest)
NSX '97              +1 lap
Fairlady Z '08       +1 lap
Evo VIII             +1 lap
Impreza coupe        +1 lap
Evo X 	             +2 laps
Supra RZ             +2 laps
GTO Twin Turbo MR    +3 laps
Skylne GT-R R32      +3 laps
Stagea               +3 laps
G35                  +4 laps
[/SIZE]

End-of-race car stats:
340 HP
269 Torque
469 PP
243.7 Miles

Last edited:
So starting the second attempt, here's the stats:
BMW Z4 M Coupe '08 (premium)
59.9 Miles on the car, dealer oil.
466PP.
All stock parts, no ballast, no limiter.

A couple low :14s and a :14.5 finish the job with a final margin of only 8 seconds. Not the blowout I feared, but there's a lot of time left in the car for sure. It is an absolute joy to drive however, albeit not so much to listen to.

Finish order:
Morgoth_666 2:14.55.925 (FL 2:12.190)
R. Bueno +8 seconds

End-of-race car stats:
469 PP
243.7 Miles

Nice run Morgoth_666!

I notice that you drove 183.8 miles, which is a little longer than what I usually seem to see. Did you run wide thru a few turns?

Respectfully,
GTsail

Nice run Morgoth_666!

I notice that you drove 183.8 miles, which is a little longer than what I usually seem to see. Did you run wide thru a few turns?

Respectfully,
GTsail

I had a couple of issues with going wide through the last tunnel, but not that many times. That and a few traditional turn 2 moments are all I can think of. I'm sure I didn't restart. I've never really checked on the mileage before. Maybe my lines are just bad. :)

I had a couple of issues with going wide through the last tunnel, but not that many times.

You don't remember running wide 20 times???:D

Maybe it was the celebratory 360's just before the S/F line on the last lap!👍

I've been checking my mileage for a while, and have found that I'm pretty consistent, but there is some variation between the car's that I drive. Maybe the BMW's odometer records mileage a little bit differently.:dopey:💡

Thanks for checking,
GTsail

GTsail290 great thread :cheers:!

I would like to participate in this, but had a quick question on number 5. I should turn the Power Level to 85% or lower in any pure stock car correct? (actually it might be a bad question but a confirmation is appreciated).

Tried it with a BMW Concept. But, no known rabbit showed up and I had a chassis re-enforment on the car too. The new update is really odd as in the past I could never get passed lap 30 before I had to pit. Last night, I could have ran up to 51laps before re-fueling. Too bad they took the options to keep current tires out of the menu. They did calculate the right amount of refill at 17 liters. Gas gauge was in the red as I started the final lap.

After applying the tuning lessons from my previous Super Modified run in the 459 PP Acura NSX '04, I ran comparative tests in GV practice against other 459 PP cars in my stable, including other models of the NSX. The Honda NSX Type R '02 emerged immediately 0.5 second quicker per lap with the same PP and setup as the Acura NSX. So I have now transferred my efforts to the Premium edition with the result shown below.

Honda NSX Type R '02
PP: 450
Tires: Sports Hard throughout race. Pit stops laps 22 and 42
HP: 247
Weight: 1281 kg
PL: 85.0%
Aids: None except ABS 1
Beginning miles: 2599.3
Ending miles: 2782.3

Summary:
Total time: 2:13:13.083
Best lap: 2:10.506 (lap 46)
MoV: 1:11.843

Lineup: GV #16 after FR Challenge, Beginner Series
1) Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '98
2) Toyota MR2 GT-S '97
3) Mazda efini RX-7 Type RZ '96
4) Subaru Impreza WRX STi (18" wheel) '07
5) Mits Lancer Evo V GSR '98
6) Toyota Soarer 430 SCV '01
7) Dotini Honda NSX Type R '02
8) Lancer Evo GSR '92
9) Nissan Fairlady 300ZX VerS TT 2-
10) Fairlady Z Vers ST '02
11) Nissan Skyline GT-R (R32) '89
12) Honda NSX Type R '02

Abbreviated race summary:
Lap 1) Cleanly passing one car each corner, ended lap in 2nd position to MR2 GT-S '97
Lap 8) After slowly catching him, I pass the MR2 at the first hairpin. The AI NSX Type R '02 is 3rd.
Lap 12) The AI NSX passes the MR2 for 2nd in a dramatic outbraking maneuver at the first hairpin. His best lap to this point is 2:10.626.
Lap 22) I pit from 1st, and take 14 liters of fuel. My tires are worn 20%, remarkably evenly at all four corners. I emerge a few seconds behind the leading NSX, and begin pursuit.
Lap 27) I catch and pass the leading NSX Type R '02 without drama at the first hairpin.
Lap 40) The AI NSX pits with severely worn rear tires.
Lap 42) I pit again, but take only fresh rubber. I emerge 1:01.195 ahead of the other NSX at the first time check of my out lap.
Lap 60) Finish 1:11.xxx ahead of my rival.

Finishing order:
1) Dotini Honda NSX Type R '02 (BL 2:10.506)
2) Honda NSX Type R '02 (BL 2:10.624)
3) MR2 GT-S '97
4) (to be continued...)

Post race notes:
With practice and tuning, it's clear I have too much car for this lineup, even at only 450 PP. For a fairer race, I will take on alternate GV lineup #9, after an FR Challenge race. This lineup features the NSX Type '02 on pole, and remarkably, three other AI NSX's appear in the lineup - for a grand total of five of us - a real NSX Festival!

I'm still not completely satisfied with the tuning of my NSX. But it's not bad. It barely understeers at all. Should I be able to eliminate the last traces of rear end step-out under deceleration and turning - as well as defeat the NSX Type R '02 when it starts from pole - I will publish my full setup here in this thread.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
GTsail290 great thread :cheers:!

I would like to participate in this, but had a quick question on number 5. I should turn the Power Level to 85% or lower in any pure stock car correct? (actually it might be a bad question but a confirmation is appreciated).

Tried it with a BMW Concept. But, no known rabbit showed up and I had a chassis re-enforment on the car too. The new update is really odd as in the past I could never get passed lap 30 before I had to pit. Last night, I could have ran up to 51 laps before re-fueling.

Thanks!:cheers:

To qualify as "stock" your car must not have upgrades added, nor are you allowed to adjust the Power Limiter, so to qualify as "stock" the power limiter must be at 100%.

For non-stock cars, the power limiter can be adjusted to any number between 85% and 100%. We have found that the power limiter gives cars a slight advantage, so we want to limit how low this get adjusted to level the playing field between the cars and drivers.

If you are looking to run against a lineup with one of the rabbits in it, check out my first post. I list some of the possible grids that can be found. For example, the 3rd Grand Valley lineup from a console reboot has the Honda NSX '01 on the grid, so you could try that.

The V2.08 update changed how long our tires last, so that's what I expect you are noticing in being able to run for more laps before your first pit-stop. Prior to the V2.08 update, everyone's tires lasted for many fewer laps.

Enjoy the Valley racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Thanks!:cheers:

To qualify as "stock" your car must not have upgrades added, nor are you allowed to adjust the Power Limiter, so to qualify as "stock" the power limiter must be at 100%.

For non-stock cars, the power limiter can be adjusted to any number between 85% and 100%. We have found that the power limiter gives cars a slight advantage, so we want to limit how low this get adjusted to level the playing field between the cars and drivers.

The V2.08 update changed how long our tires last, so that's what I expect you are noticing. Prior to the V2.08 update, everyone's tires lasted for many fewer laps.

Enjoy the Valley racing!
GTsail

10 4 👍

Will try this with the BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07. I just got gifted one from drevenger...it only has painted wheels and completely stock. SH tires :eek:, that is gonna make a difficult choice if to push or not to push as the NSX Type R '02 model has to be in the field.

"Super Stock" class restrictions are SH tires, and your car must be completely "stock" with no upgrades, ballast or PL adjustments. Oil changes are allowed. Minimum vehicle weight is 1100kg's (this might get increased to 1150kg's). You must race against a GV300km lineup which includes the Honda NSX Type R '02.

Should be fun non the less :cheers:.

BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07 (Stock minus OEM painted wheels)
Weight: 1520kgs
Tires: Sports Hard
No Aids other then ABS 1. No Oil Change.

Start | Finish
PP454 | PP458
HP = 296 | 305
TQ = 286 | 294
Miles = 0 | 183.6 ?

Starting Line Up:
1) Honda NSX Type R '02
2) Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4LTD (Z233) '05
3) Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen '00
4) Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
5) Toyota Aristo V300 '00
6) Toyota Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91
7) Me = BMW Concept 1 Series tii '07
8) Mazda RX-7 Type RS (FD) '98
9) Subaru Impreza Coupe 22B-STi '98
10) Subaru Legacy Touring Wabon GT-B '96
11) Honda NSX '97
12) Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '05

I had to enter and exit 12 times to get the nasty NSX Type R in my line up :mad:! I sort of had a bad feeling prior to the start, but excited to give it a shot. As the cars start rolling prior to the green flag dropping, 💡 I was wondering why we cannot have a recon lap. I have driven this car stock with Comfort Softs and felt really grippy...But just was not sure what laps it would do with Sports Hards :confused:.

Green Flag: The car has some go as the turbo spools nicely. I did not go wide open throttle just yet as I wanted to keep a very safe gap to the # 6 driver (cant win in the first lap / first corner). I do how ever wish that the # 8 place RX-7 driver had a bit more patients :mad:!!! I saw him from the side view mirror that he had some mommentum built up and was coming up quickly. As we start turning into the 1st bend prior to the hair pin, he gives me a love tap on my brand new car :bird:. Almost had me distracted to the point I had to get on the brakes hard to avoid the Celica in front of us. As we get near the quick esses I used the # 6 Celica as a pick to the # 8 RX-7 behind me :P. The rest of the first lap was pretty calm and every raced cleanly with no further road rage shown by any other participants. Picked up places as they over slow for turns and manage to tail gate the # 3 Legacy down the straight.
End of Lap 1 = 11.265 GAP!

Lap 2: This is were my concerns really started to bug me. To seriously push and risk off track expeditions, run the tires to the ground quickly...what to do :confused:! As I follow the # 2 350Z around and start hitting the sector times, I start seeing the NSX Type R is really starting to open it up :eek:! Same thing as the first lap, I got close enough to the 350Z before the straight away to get a nice clean pass on him.
End of Lap 2 = 14.882 GAP!!

Lap 3: Hum...maybe I should push a little harder and see where the limits are in terms of side force and braking grip....Gap the NSX Type R in each sector is steadly growing....CHIT!
End of Lap 3 = 18.413 GAP!!!

Lap 4 to Lap 30:Cursing my self for opening this impressive thread by GTsail290! :guilty:....NSX Type R lead just grows and grows and I curse at the creater :P

Lap 40: As reported by GTsail290, the NSX Type R does pit in at the end of lap 40. At this time I was still to far to get any advantage as lap times put down was no where near quick enough to offset anything that the NSX Type R built up.
End of Lap 40 = 50.778 GAP!!!!

Lap 41: Unlike the day prior when using Sports Medium, today I was pushing a lot more. Fuel consumption was no where near enough to get me to Lap 50. Tire wear seemed decent but the goodness of them had way passed and times were slowing down.
Gap....does it matter now? :(

Lap 46: I decided to pit at the end of this lap as I did not want to lose 2nd place by running out of gas. 30 liters of fuel and a new set of Sport Hard tires to take me home!

Final Lap: Nothing to really say other then I got my butt kicked! Throwing the new set of tires did help with getting quicker times, but no where near the average that the NSX Type R was putting down.

In summary, the rules seem strict for any Concept Car that has a PP of under, equal or just above the NSX Type R. Plus having to run on Sport Hard, it seems like an impossible task to achieve a 1st place podium. If PP was extremely higher, it might be best for those higher PP cars to run on Sport Hard. Now, unless you are one of those alians that run the time trials with amazing numbers, this goal is a bit out of reach for an average joe :(.

Forgot to Add: Gap to 1st Place was 1:44.998. Best ET was 2:12.708. Average was 2:14.xxx

Then again, I did not change the oil so maybe next time :D

Thanks GTsail290 :cheers: Not successful but, fun non the less. Just a minor paint scratch thanks to the RX-7 :P. No off road adventures or road rage exhibited so it was a success to a degree. I still need to gold this, so I'll be back ;).

Last edited:
After seeing Dotini's above run with the '02 NSX Type R, I decide to try out the older version.

So I check my garage for the 1992 model and find a Honda NSX Type R '92 which is painted Indy Yellow Pearl.

I have my crack pit-crew give the '92 Type R a tune and end up with the following spec's:

Horsepower: 280
Weight: 1265 (added 35kg of ballast)
PP value: 459/457
P.Limiter: 93.8%
Aquired: 8/01/2011
Switches: 1
Wins: 0
Beginning mileage: 48,424.9 miles
Ending mileage: 48,608.2 miles
No skid

I'm going against alternative lineup # 2 (after a FF Challenge - Beginner race), which has the following AI:

1) Honda NSX '01
4) Honda S2000 '06
7) GTsail in the '92 Type R
11) Honda NSX Type R '02

On lap # 1, I drive thru the field and end the lap in 2nd place, 4.9 seconds behind the race leading Honda NSX '01 after a 2.19.504 lap.

By the end of lap # 2, the NSX Type R '02 (my main competitor) is being shown in 7th place.

At the end of lap # 3, I draft up on the race leading Honda NSX '01, and end the lap only 0.291 seconds behind him after an early lap record of 2.11.196. The NSX Type R '02 is now being shown in 6th place as he continues his relentless climb thru the field of sheep!;)

At the beginning of lap # 4, I drive past the 1st place NSX '01, and then pull away to a 2.3 second lead by the end of the lap. The NSX Type R '02 is now being shown in 4th place.:nervous:

I set a new lap record of 2.11.047 on lap # 5, and end the lap with a 5 second lead over the 2nd place NSX '01. The NSX Type R '02 is now being shown in 3rd place.

After 10 laps, I have a 13 second lead over the Honda NSX '01 and about an 18 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.11.692 lap.

At the beginning of lap # 13, the NSX Type R '02 drafts past the NSX '01. My lead over them both is now up to 16 seconds.:)

On lap # 14, I catch a 4-car pack of back-markers. Surprisingly, the tail-end car is the Impreza Coupe WRX typeR, who gets passed first. Next to be passed is the Nissan Stagea 25t RS FOUR and then the Infiniti G35 Coupe. I pass theses first three cars before the first tunnel, however, it takes me until the final esses before I get past the 9th place Impreza Coupe 22B-STi, who was leading the 4-car pack.

On lap # 18, I catch and lap the 8th place Mits GTO Twin Turbo '95. I still have a 16 second lead over the 2nd place NSX Type R '02 who has been held up by the same back-markers that I just passed.

On lap # 20, I check my tires and they are about 15% gone. My tires still feel pretty decent, so I decide to continue on without a pit-stop. Lap # 20 takes me 2.13.041 which leaves me with a comfortable margin of 18 seconds over the NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 22, I catch and lap the 7th place Nissan Skyline GTR R34 '00.

On lap # 23, I catch and lap the 6th place Lancer EVO VIII GSR '03.

After 25 laps, I see that I have a 21 second lead over the 2nd place NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.12.345 lap.

Lap # 29 takes me a 2.14.240 as my tires show their age, however, I now have a 26 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 who has been having a tough time battling past all the back-markers.

At the end of lap # 30, I dive into the pits for a new set of SH tires and 26 liters of fuel. While I'm in the pits, the NSX Type R '02 drives past and drops me into 2nd place in the race.

At the first checkpoint on lap # 31, I see that I'm 6.6 seconds behind the race leading NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 32, I set a new lap record of 2.10.784.

On lap # 33, I catch and pass the 1st place NSX Type R '02 as we go thru the third tunnel.

After 35 laps, I have a 4 second lead over the NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 37, I set a new lap record of 2.10.578.

On lap # 38, I catch and lap both the 5th place Honda S2000 and the 4th place efini RX-7 Type RZ who are traveling together.

After 40 laps, I have a 29 second lead over the NSX Type R '02, who has really slowed down on his worn tires, after another lap record of 2.10.573.

The 2nd place NSX Type R '02 pits at the end of lap # 41, which allows me to open up a 73 second lead by the second checkpoint on lap # 42. At the end of lap # 42, the 3rd place NSX '01 gets baulked by the Nissan Stagea 25t RS FOUR. This allows me to easily draft past them both as we accelerate up the S/F straight.

After 45 laps, my lead over the NSX Type R '02 is down to 70 seconds, even after a new lap record of 2.10.504.

After 50 laps, my lead over the NSX Type R '02 is down to 66 seconds as the '02 Type R begins to run some fast laps and my tires begin to fall off.

After 55 laps, I've been able to increase my lead up to 67 seconds over the NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.12.111 lap.

At the beginning of lap # 58, I'm still pushing my '92 Type R pretty hard, so its not surprising when I miss my braking point and slide off into the sand on the outside of the first hairpin.:dunce: This causes me to have my first 2.14.xx lap.:grumpy:

Lap 60 takes me 2.13.634, which gives me the win!

Race time was: 2 hours, 13 minutes and 12.195 seconds

Finish order:
--------------
1) GTsail in the '92 Type R
2) NSX Type R '02----------- 61.644 secs back (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.10.378)
3) Honda NSX '01------------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 38)(BL 2.12.591)
4) RX-7 Type RZ-------------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 38)(BL 2.13.330)
5) Honda S2000 '06----------- 1 lap down (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.13.511)
6) Skyline GTR R34------------ 2 lap down (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.14.500)
7) Lancer EVO VIII------------ 2 laps down (pits on lap # 41)(BL 2.16.030)
8) Impreza 22B-STi----------- 3 laps down (pits on lap # 46)(BL 2.16.297)
9) Impreza typeR------------- 3 laps down (pits on lap # 46)(BL 2.15.489)
10) GTO Twin Turbo---------- 3 laps down (pits on lap # 40)(BL 2.19.556)
11) Stagea 25t RS------------ 4 laps down (pits on lap # 42)(BL 2.18.936)
12) G35 Coupe '06------------ 4 laps down (pits on lap # 44)(BL 2.21.186)

Post race notes:
---------------
Too much car! My '92 Type R needs a little more tuning to get the most from its chassis, but it is certainly capable of beating the '02 Type R with less horsepower. I may try again with a revised tune. I traveled 183.3 miles during the race.

Enjoy the racing!
GTsail

Last edited:
Grand Valley 300km Grand Prix

- towards the ultimate GT5 A-spec race -

Almost all Grand Prix Formula 1 races since 1950 have been to about the 300km distance. Since the Grand Valley 300km is to the Formula One distance and involves pit stops, I see it as the GT5 race most closely approximating the exalted F1 standard. By invoking the strongest possible lineup, I have succeeded in making this a fun challenge in concentration and close racing for about 31 laps - until the AI starts acting foolishly by not pitting on its worn out tires. About the only thing I can do to make this an even better contest would be to continue lowering my PPV in increments until we are more evenly matched at lap 60. But that is for another day.

Honda NSX Type R '02
PP: 450
Tires: Sports Hard
Hp: 247
Weight: 1274kg: 4 kg ballast @ 0 (45/55)
PL: 85.0%
Beginning mileage: 3804.8
Ending mileage: 3987.8
Aids: None except ABS 1
G27, ffb 7
Full setup specs: See Appendix below

Race stats summary:
Total time: 2:12:51.398
MoV: 51.329 seconds
Best lap: 2:10.242 (lap 9)

Lineup: alternate GV lineup #9 after FR Challenge race, Beginner Series
1) Honda NSX Type R '02 <---Sports Soft tires, 471 PP
2) Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95
3) 300 ZX 2 by 2 (Z32) '98
4) Fairlady Z Series ST (Z33) '02
5) Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type R Vers
6) Honda NSX Type R '92
7) Dotini Honda NSX Type R '02
8) Honda NSX '90
9) Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32) '94
10) Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R33) '95
11) Honda NSX '01
12) Honda Accord Coupe EX '03

Abbreviated race description:
Lap 1: Passed cleanly to 2nd position by end of lap 1. The lead AI NSX Type R has checked out.
Laps 2-7: Okay, it's an endurance race, not one of those 5 lap seasonals, and I can take it fairly easy on my tires while, happily, slightly closing the gap, a bit here and and a bit there.
Lap 8: The leading NSX Type R '02 sets his fastest lap of the race at 2:10.329
Lap 9: I respond with my fastest lap, 2:10.242. I am still over 4 seconds back, and not yet in his tow.
Lap 14: I take the lead at the crest of the high speed left-right-left sweepers - my favorite turns at Grand Valley!
Lap 22: Into the pits for tires and 8 liters fuel. My tires are evenly worn to about 75/80% remaining. It's an open question as to a two stop or one stop strategy. I play it safe and opt for two. For reasons of not having to re-lap traffic, I extend my first stint to 22 laps.
Lap 23: I emerge about 24 seconds in arrears, and set about catching the fleeing Type R.
Lap 31: After 31 laps of flat-out racing, I take the lead for good. The AI could stand a chance if he had pitted, but no, he foolishly grinds his tires to shreds for 9 more laps before pitting.
Lap 42: I pit for another set of fresh tires and 6 liters fuel, retaining the lead.
Lap 60: Finish running hard without spinning, wrecking, or significant contact of any kind. MoV ~51 seconds.

Finish order..........................................BL
1) Dotini Honda NSX Type R '02........2:10.242
2) Honda NSX Type R '02.................2:10.329
3) Honda NSX Type R '92.................2:11.064
4) Honda NSX '01...........................2:12.808
5) Honda NSX '90...........................2:14.557
6) etc

Tuning Appendix:

Dotini Honda NSX Type R '02 - 450 PP - Sports Hard tires
Setup for Grand Valley 300km vs a.i. Honda NSX Type R '02 on pole​

This setup is intended to be a forgiving, reliable baseline setup for any tires from Comfort Soft to Race Soft, and mitigating the base tendencies of the NSX to oversteer on throttle lift-off, understeer through the apex, and oversteer on exit with enthusiastic throttle application. Even so, no amount of tuning will eliminate the need for throttle control, and the throttle cannot simply be stomped to the floor at will. That's the nature of the high power mid-engine car on hard tires. No claim is made that everyone will find it to their taste, or that any or all of the settings couldn't be improved upon. The setup applies to all NSX's, but the Type R '02 is preferred because it is supposedly modeled with higher inherent downforce and larger tires. My comparative testing tends to bear this out.

Black oil, current mileage 3987.8; this has caused the engine to begin losing power, and opens the way for future weight reduction and engine tuning which allows for higher rpm operation. This mileage was achieved by repeatedly running the Indy 500 in B-spec, and will be ongoing.

Currently the car has 4 kg ballast at the "0" position, and a titanium semi-racing exhaust for 247 hp, max rpm 9200, with an 85.0 % PL.

Chassis reinforcement installed.
Wing installed; minimum downforce setting of 5. Not strictly required at 450 PP or below, but it makes everything a bit easier. At PP levels approaching 500 or more, this may be raised to 8 or more.

LSD: 10-14-22 <---These are crucial settings, very sensitive, and may change for different individuals, tracks and tires.
Ride height: -12 / -12 <---probably raise to around -5 / -5 for the Nurburgring
Springs: 11.4 / 8.8 <---stock values. Let me know if you find anything better!
Extension: 5 / 6
Compress: 4 / 5
Anti-roll bars: 2 / 3
Camber: 2.2 / 1.5
Toe: -0.16 / +0.18
Brakes: 6 / 4

Transmission: Set at default. Raise Final to maximum, lower top speed to minimum. These settings may not work with aftermarket wheels.
1st: 2.927
2nd: 2.260
3rd: 1.805
4th : 1.481
5th: 1.203
6th: 1.021
Set final to 4.310 (top speed 155 will appear in upper right corner) This is for Grand Valley at 450 PP, and allows overhead for drafting.
(I run AT for the convenience of it. If you run manual, you may want to idealize these gears for the way you do your corners.)

^^^Feedback on this setup, whether positive or negative, is appreciated!

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
My race above at post # 258, was a little easy since my '92 NSX Type R is pretty fast, so I decide to re-run the race with a little less car.

Since my earlier race, our resident mid-engine tuning wizard (Dotini) has posted some specs for the '02 NSX Type R. So I sneak into the back of his garage and grab a copy of the suspension tuning handbook.:sly:

I have my crack pit-crew give my recently used NSX Type R '92 a similar tune and end up with the following spec's:

Horsepower: 273
Weight: 1275 (added 45kg of ballast)
PP value: 455/453
P.Limiter: 93.0%
Aquired: 8/01/2011
Switches: 1
Wins: 1
Beginning mileage: 48,619.6 miles
Ending mileage: 48,802.8 miles
No skid

1) Honda NSX '01
4) Honda S2000 '06
7) GTsail in the '92 Type R
11) Honda NSX Type R '02

On lap # 1, I drive thru the field and end the lap in 2nd place, 3.6 seconds behind the race leading NSX '01 after a 2.18.192 opening lap. Looking back the '02 NSX Type R is already in 8th place.

On lap # 3, I catch and pass the 1st place NSX '01 going into the tight left-hander just before the first tunnel. By the end of the lap, I have pulled out to a 1.6 second lead over the NSX '01 after an early lap record of 2.11.628. The '02 Type R is now being shown in 5th place.:nervous:

After 5 laps, I have a 6 second lead over the 2nd place NSX '01 after a new lap record of 2.11.479. The '02 Type R has climbed up into 4th place.

On lap # 7, I set a new lap record of 2.10.373 and increase my lead over the NSX '01 to 9 seconds. The '02 Type R is now being shown in 3rd place.

After 10 laps, I have a 16 second lead over the NSX '01, and about a 24 second lead over the NSX Type R '02.

Tuning comments:
------------------
My initial comments on Dotini's NSX tune.....WOW!

Its much better than my own!👍

My '92 Type R is now very stable going thru the Grand Valley turns. Both high-speed and low-speed.:)

My '92 Type R's tendency to have its rear-end break-free on the exit from the tight turns has been pretty much eliminated. My '92 Type R still exhibits a little bit of understeer, but this is certainly a small price to pay for the tamed back-end that would otherwise cause some anxious moments.

I can already tell that the race is going to be very easy since I'm running laps that are just as fast as I ran in my earlier race, where I had 7 more horses.

Back to the race:
-----------------
On lap # 13, I catch and pass the 12th place Infiniti G35 coupe.

On lap # 15, the NSX Type R '02 drives past the NSX '01, and takes over 2nd place in the race, a full 27 seconds behind me. No worries!:)

After 20 laps, I pit for a new set of SH tires with a 32 second lead over the NSX Type R '02. My tires are about 15% gone, and didn't really need a change, but I decided to have fresh rubber anyway. I take on 15 liters of fuel, which is less than the 19 liters indicated by my pit-crew, but, since I expect to be back in the pits on lap # 40, I don't mind.

When I exit the pits, I see that I have a 2 second lead over the NSX Type R '02.

On lap # 24, I catch and pass the 8th place Impreza Coupe 22B-STi.

On lap # 26, I catch and lap both the 7th place Skyline GTR R34 and the 6th place Lancer EVO VIII '03. By the end of the lap, I have an 11 second lead over the 2nd place NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.11.188 lap.

After 30 laps, I have a 27 second lead over the NSX Type R '02, who has been getting held up by all the back-markers. Lap # 30 took me 2.10.944.

On lap # 35, I catch and lap the 4th place Honda S2000 and end the lap with a 43 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 after a decent 2.10.797 lap.

I have pulled out to a 68 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 when I pit at the end of lap # 40 for another set of SH tires and 7 liters of fuel.

The NSX Type R '02 pits at the end of lap # 41 after getting my lead down to about 45 seconds due to my 2nd pit-stop.

At the 2nd checkpoint on lap # 42, I get the news that I have pulled out to a 1 minute and 17 second lead. The contest is over!:(

After 45 laps, I have a 1 minute and 26 second lead over the NSX Type R '02 who is still getting held up by all the back-markers.

After 50 laps, I still have a 1 minute and 25 second lead over the '02 Type R, even after a relatively slow 2.11.943 lap.

After 55 laps, I have a 1 minute and 27 second lead over the '02 Type R.

Lap # 60 takes me 2.11.762 and gives me another GV300 win!:)

Total race time was: 2 hrs, 12 mins, and 40.245 sec's

Finishing order:
----------------
1) GTsail in the '92 Type R
2) NSX Type R '02----------- 1min, 28.533 secs back (BL 2.10.473)
3) Honda NSX '01------------- 1 lap down (BL 2.12.368)
4) Honda S2000 '06----------- 1 lap down (BL 2.13.556)
5) RX-7 Type RZ-------------- 2 laps down (BL 2.13.269)
6) Skyline GTR R34------------ 2 laps down (BL 2.14.579)
7) Lancer EVO VIII------------ 2 laps down
8) Impreza 22B-STi----------- 3 laps down
9) Impreza typeR------------- 3 laps down
10) GTO Twin Turbo---------- 4 laps down
11) Stagea 25t RS------------ 4 laps down
12) G35 Coupe '06------------ 5 laps down

Post race notes:
----------------
A walk in park!:) Using essentially Dotini's tune (as listed in post # 259 above), my '92 Type R is a monster, so the field didn't stand a chance! Thanks Dotini!👍

Catch you later!
GTsail

Last edited:
My initial comments on Dotini's NSX tune.....WOW!
Its much better than my own!👍

Many thanks for your praise for my setup, GTsail, it is greatly appreciated. In celebration, I take out my '02 Type R, and go for a new run, with results noted below. My setup is the same as before, except with less power and performance points. I have added one click (to 22) to my LSD decel, and revised the final drive to 4.35 (150 mph in upper right).

Honda NSX Type R '02

Horsepower: 228
Weight: 1270kg
PP value: 438
P.Limiter: 85.0%
Ending mileage: 8,221.8
No aids except ABS 1. G27

Summary:
Total time: 2:12:22.503
MoV: One full lap
Fastest Lap: 2:10.114 (with tow)

Alternative lineup # 2 (after a FF Challenge - Beginner race):
1) Honda NSX '01
4) Honda S2000 '06
7) Dotini '02 Type R
11) Honda NSX Type R '02

Race notes:
Lap 1: Passed cleanly to 2nd position behind NSX '01
Lap 3: Passed cleanly to lead at first hairpin. Drafting allows a 2:10.572 lap time. The car is stable as I outbrake the speeding Honda.
Lap 19: I decide to do a one-stopper, as the tires are holding up well. My times are in the 11's.
Laps 28-29: Times increase into the 12's.
Lap 30: I pit and take 10 liters neat. Tires are worn to the 70% point at worst. I'm up one minute as I enter the pits.
Lap 44: I'm up 2:07
Lap 59: I'm maintaining a small lead as I try to prevent him from passing back into the lead lap. As I accelerate onto the main straight, I dive below the white line next to the pit wall in the hopes of keeping him out of my draft. But No! He follows me, catches up and hits, nerfs and taps me in 3 successive blows as we brake into the hairpin. With his newer sport soft tires compared to my 30 lap old hard tires you'd think I'd be sent spinning, but the rear end held rock steady! Piece of cake.

Finishing order:
1) Dotini '02 Type R
2) NSX Type R '02----------- One exact lap down (BL 2.10.539)
3) Honda NSX '01-------------(BL 2.12.681)
4) RX-7 Type RZ-------------- (BL 2.13.469)
5) Honda S2000 '06-----------(BL 2.14.183)
6) Skyline GTR R34
7) Impreza type R
8) Lancer EVO VIII
9) Impreza 22B-STi
10) GTO Twin Turbo
11) Stagea 25t RS
12) G35 Coupe '06

Conclusion: It's ridiculous, but this NSX Type R '02 seems to get quicker as it loses power. The power that it does have seems very efficiently transmitted to the road, even with the hard sport tires. No doubt this car can go significantly lower and still beat the AI NSX Type R '02. I followed the AI '02 for much of the race. His back end seemed to be loose on certain corners and on braking.

Also, I think I've found that the one-stop pit strategy works well, provided your tires don't lose too much in the final laps of your stints, and that you don't sit stationary for too long while taking fuel at your one stop.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Last edited:
Hi

Im about to start this race with the Impreza TC car. reason for using this car is i need to get it broken in becourse we have a league race tomorrow using this car, anyways....

Il run it on SS tyres PL at 50% and 200kg ballast. 220bhp, 1340kg's 459pp

trying to find a grid that contains the Honda NSX Type R '02, will give a report as soon as i finish :)

Finally a Type R '02 on the grid:

1) P.Huber in Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) '07

2) H.Tillman in Celica GT-FOUR (ST205) '98

3) W.Newton in Lancer Evolution GSR '92

4) T.Figueroa in GTO Twin Turbo MR '95

5) P.Van Dijk in Skyline GT-R (R34) '00

6) F.Berg in Impreza Sedan WRX STI '02

7) UnshavenYapper in Impreza TC

8) T.Neves in NSX Type R '02

9) S.Takagi in Stagea 25t RS FOUR S '98

10) B.Gauthier in Lancer Evolution IX GSR '05

11) O.Leroux in NSX '01

12) O.Malone in 350Z Gran Turismo 4ltd (Z33) '05

This was not as hard as i though it would be, but here's my storie

I gained 1st place in the last chicane on lap 1, got passed again by P.Huber on the streight but after the first hairpin i was long gone. T.Neves in the Nsx Type R '02 didnt get 2nd until lap 4 and then i was 17secs ahead. After him getting 2nd i continued to increase my lead by ruffly 1secs pr lap.

Lap 2 Set my fastest lap on 1st. stint 2:09:527

Lap 12 Lapped W.Newton in his Lancer

Lap 13 Lapped H.Tillman in his Celica GT-FOUR

Lap 14 Lapped S.Takagi in his Stagea, B.Gauthier in his Lancer Evolution, F.Berg in his Impreza Sedan and T.Figueroa in his GTO Twin Turbo

Lap 15 Lapped O.Malone in his 350Z Gran Turismo

Lap 20 Lapped P.Huber in his Fairlady Z

Lap 23 Lapped P.Van Dijk in his Skyline GT-R

Lap 24 Lapped W.Newton in his Lancer for the second time

Lap 26 Lapped H.Tillman in his Celica GT-FOUR for the second time

Lap 28 Lapped O.Leroux in his NSX '01, S.Takagi in his Stagea for second time, B.Gauthier in his Lancer Evolution for second time, T.Figueroa in his GTO Twin Turbo for second time.

Lap 30 I do my one and only Pitstop, Tyres have about 15-20% left on the front and about 30-35% on the rear, gets 16 liters of fuel, Neves in the NSX Type R '02 is 58secs behind when i enter the pit, 38secs behind when i leave. While in the pit O.Leroux, T.Figueroa & B.Gauthier blasts by on the streight.

Lap 35 Lapped O.Malone in his 350Z Gran Turismo for second time.

Lap 37 Im in the lead with 1min. Lapped W.Newton in his Lancer for third time, F.Berg in his Impreza Sedan for the second time

Lap 38 Did my fastest lap 2:09:272

Lap 39 Lapped P.Huber in his Fairlady Z for the second time. H.Tillman in his Celica GT-FOUR for the third time

Lap 41 Lapped S.Takagi in his Stagea and T.Figueroa in his GTO Twin Turbo for the third time.

Lap 42 T.Neves in his NSX Type R, goes to pit and is hereby lapped.

Lap 43 Lapped B.Gauthier in his Lancer for third time.

Lap 46 Lapped O.Malone in his 350Z Gran Turismo for the third time, W.Newton in his Lancer for the fourth time.

Lap 47 Lapped S.Takagi in his Stagea for the fourth time. F.Berg in his Impreza Sedan for the third time.

Lap 48 Lapped T.Figueroa in his GTO Twin Turbo for the fourth time.

Lap 49 Lapped H.Tillman in his Celica GT-FOUR for the Fourth time, P.Huber in his Fairlady Z for the third time and O.Leroux in his NSX '01 for the second time.

Lap 52 Lapped B.Gauthier in his Lancer Evolution for the fourth time

Lap 57 Something is closing in from behind?! ITS Neves and his NSX!

Lap 58 Lapped H.Tillman in his Celica GT-FOUR for the fifth time, O.Malone in his 350Z Gran Turismo for the fourth time.

Lap 59 T.Neves is getting closer, still lapped tho.

Lap 60 I win!

Lap 1 - 5 i was doing 09's - 10's times
Lap 5 - 17 it was 10's - 11's
Lap 17 - 27 it was 11's - 12's
Lap 27 - 30 it was 12's - 13's

After the pitstop it was the same story all over again.
Fastest lap on 1st stint was 2:09:527
Fastest lap on 2nd stint was 2:09:272
Total Time was 2:09:36.216

Finishing order was

Me
Neves
Leroux
Van Dijk
Huber
Berg
Malone
Gauthier
Figueroa
Takagi
Tillman
Newton

Looking in the rearview mirror, i should have used SH tyres, thought about going to pit early and change to them, but someone forgot to bring them to the track?!? Next time il have a go in a Ford Ka or something odd.

This is all for now.

Last edited:
I am currently in the testing/tuning phase of a simple quest: To make the Integrale not eat it's tyres and be pleasant to drive plus having a close race with a non-rabbit grid. This has proven tougher than it at first appears as I can be up to 6 seconds a lap quicker on SS tyres over SH at the same PP level! (2:18s on SH/2:17s on SM/2:12s on SS) SM and SH tyres appear to be quite closely matched with my current, and it would appear best, setup. I have the car pretty much where I want her - decent turn-in, good grip, no engine tuning, half-decent tyre wear - I just need to match my tyres to the right grid. Do I go for a 1-stopper on SM/SH or 2-stops on SS? Probably favouring the second option at the moment as the tyres drop off badly with this Lancia. Hmm...

I am currently in the testing/tuning phase of a simple quest: To make the Integrale not eat it's tyres and be pleasant to drive plus having a close race with a non-rabbit grid. This has proven tougher than it at first appears as I can be up to 6 seconds a lap quicker on SS tyres over SH at the same PP level! (2:18s on SH/2:17s on SM/2:12s on SS) SM and SH tyres appear to be quite closely matched with my current, and it would appear best, setup. I have the car pretty much where I want her - decent turn-in, good grip, no engine tuning, half-decent tyre wear - I just need to match my tyres to the right grid. Do I go for a 1-stopper on SM/SH or 2-stops on SS? Probably favouring the second option at the moment as the tyres drop off badly with this Lancia. Hmm...

Tuning for improved tire wear is an interesting, but open question.
In the past, I have attempted to improve tire wear by the following general means:
1) Most important is to reduce sliding induced by understeer or oversteer, obviously (not to mention over aggressive driving!). So tuning of the suspension and drivetrain to reduce understeer in the case of the Lancia. Discussion of specific suspension settings is beyond my scope at the moment, but setting the front diff towards 5-5-5 and the torque split towards 10/90 might be tried in order to take drive loads off the overworked front tires.
2) Tuning of the LSD to reduce wheelspin. The accepted principle is to reduce accel if the outside tire spins first, increase if the inside tire spins first. Reviewing the recording, watching the tire heat indicators, or driving from the copter-cam view are means to detect which wheel spins first. Look for smoke, or black streaks on the road.
3) Moving ballast away from the end of the car with the most tire wear. Sometimes this entails purchasing weight reduction(s), then adding ballast back into a more useful location.
4) Reduce weight and power, both. Often the car will go just as quick with the same power/weight ratio, but involving lower values of both. Tire wear benefits!
5) Increase ground clearance. This sometimes works, and should be tried.
6) In the last resort, the step of using or increasing any existing TCS can be tried. Determine the best effectiveness of TCS settings by comparing timed acceleration runs. Find the value which improves acceleration the most, then reduce it by 1 on the racing setup.

Note of caution: Obviously racing is more speed and less about economy. We should do what we can to improve fuel and tire economy in the racing car, but not let our efforts overmuch dull the edge of performance over a timed lap. Proceed with care and good judgment.

Best wishes for success,
Steve

Last edited:
Mazda Eunos Roadster (NA special package) '89

187 BHP
1046 kg (200 kg ballast)
360 PP

(I started the race at 185 BHP and 358 PP, knowing that there was still a small amount of burn-in to be done)

Sports soft tyres.
No aids except an ABS of "1"

Lineup # 5
-------------
Infiniti G35 Coupe '06 (Kangass)
Subaru Legacy 2.0GT specB '03 (Roy)
Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX STI '94 (Baxter)
Nissan Fairlady Z Vers ST Z33 '02 (Bieber)
Nissan Fairlady Z Z34 '08 (Meyers)
Mits Lancer Evolution GSR '92 (Huber)
Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05 (Wu)
Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT
Nissan Skyline GTR Vspec R33 '95 (Kubuta)
Nissan Silvia Spec R Aero S15 '02 (Hood)
Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01

Sony controller.

Without too much effort I slid into 1st spot before the end of lap 1. Car candled beautifully, and I had stopped the first attempt after 4-5 laps in order to check that tyres, PP and aids were indeed as written.

Lap 4. 2:16.072 - BEST LAP

Lap 5. Bieber +14.9 secs - Baxter - Meyers - Roy - Kangass - Wu - Huber.

Lap 9. Slid off the track into grass, managed to avoid spinning or crashing into anything but lost around 4 seconds.

Lap 10. Meyers +11.7 secs - Bieber - then already a sizeable gap down to Baxter - Roy - Wu etc.

Lap 15. Meyers +2.7 secs - Bieber - Baxter - Roy - Wu etc.

Lap 20. Meyers +0.087 secs - Bieber - Baxter - Roy - Wu.

Lap 25. Meyers +1 sec - Bieber - Roy - Baxter - Wu - Hood etc.

Lap 27. Lapped two cars.

Lap 30. Meyers +0.5 sec - Bieber - Roy - Baxter - Wu - Hood.

Lap 35. Meyers on 1st spot but I quickly outbraked him. Third Bieber - Roy - Baxter - wu - Hood.

Lap 37. I pitted at end of lap, for tyres only and no fuel. Meyers followed me in. In particular the front left tyre was almost done for and lap times had increased to 2:21+. But I was not the only one with tyre problems and staying in front had not become too difficult, also the car was controllable. Bieber continued on and took 1st spot.

Lap 40. Bieber in front. Ego +17 seconds but had pulled back 10 secs in two laps. Third Baxter - Roy - Meyers - Wu - Hood.

Lap 44. I overtook Bieber. 2nd-fastest lap of 2:16.150.

Lap 45. Meyers +7 secs - Bieber - Baxter - Roy - Wu - Hood.

Lap 50. Meyers +.7 secs - Bieber - Roy - Baxter - Wu - Kubuta.

Lap 55. Meyers +0.2 secs - Bieber - Roy - Baxter - Kubuta - Wu.

Lap 60. Meyers +1.140 - Bieber - Roy etc.

A close win, but unless I did something foolish never really in doubt. The opposition did overtake me a few times but never had the amount of surplus speed and grip enabling them to pull away.

2:19:36 total.

Last edited:
OK, I know it's been a while, but I've eventually got round to running the Delta.

1) Most important is to reduce sliding induced by understeer or oversteer, obviously (not to mention over aggressive driving!). So tuning of the suspension and drivetrain to reduce understeer in the case of the Lancia. Discussion of specific suspension settings is beyond my scope at the moment, but setting the front diff towards 5-5-5 and the torque split towards 10/90 might be tried in order to take drive loads off the overworked front tires.

I've found a 20/80 diff split works best here and the relatively low power meant I haven't needed to mess with the LSD settings too much.

2 Reviewing the recording, watching the tire heat indicators, or driving from the copter-cam view are means to detect which wheel spins first. Look for smoke, or black streaks on the road.

Hey, I'm the King of Control! ;)

3) Moving ballast away from the end of the car with the most tire wear. Sometimes this entails purchasing weight reduction(s), then adding ballast back into a more useful location.

Yep, standard procedure for anything other than a stock run.

4) Reduce weight and power, both. Often the car will go just as quick with the same power/weight ratio, but involving lower values of both. Tire wear benefits!

Ditto the above.

5) Increase ground clearance. This sometimes works, and should be tried.

I've only found any benefit for that when I tuned the Volvo estate. The Delta has been slammed to the deck as I quite like the bouncy go-kart style level of handling this produces. :D

6) In the last resort, the step of using or increasing any existing TCS can be tried. Determine the best effectiveness of TCS settings by comparing timed acceleration runs. Find the value which improves acceleration the most, then reduce it by 1 on the racing setup.

How dare you suggest I, dare I say it, use aids! ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, as I said before, I'm pretty happy with the handling of this Delta now so I decided to gamble on low power and a slower grid. Once again I managed to find one by chance (I'm getting good at random grids). This is all down to how the tyres wear, as up until now I've had one hell of a job of getting this car not to shred its rubber.

Car: Lancia DELTA HF Integrale Evoluzione &#8217;91
HP: 187
PP: 399
Weight: 1199Kg
Mods: Everything apart from engine mods.
Power Level: 85%
Ballast: 80Kg @ -50 (58/42)
Tyres: SS
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

Grid:
1. Soarer 430SCV '01
2. G35 Coupe '06
3. Accord Coupe EX '03
4. Lancer Evolution X GSR PP '07
5. Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94
6. Aristo V300 '00
7. Me
8. Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
9. GTO Twin Turbo MR '98
10. Skyline Coupe 350GT '03
11. Fairlady Z (Z34) '08
12. Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91

So, planning a 2-stop race I get going&#8230;

Lap 1: 2:22.971 - Don't lose any places at the start but don't gain any either. Lack of power means I can only pass by out-braking the AI. I get past a few and end the lap -6 secs back in 3rd behind the Soarer and G35. Only hitting 120 mph on the main straight.

Laps 2 to 5: Pass the G35 into the second hairpin on lap 2 and settle in behind the Soarer. Lap times start to drop into the 2:17s. Eventually pass the Soarer on lap 5 to go +1 sec ahead. Lancer Evo is now 3rd just 3 secs behind the Soarer.

Laps 6 to 10: I start to pull away at a about a second a lap but the Lancer Evo is matching my times (high 2:16/low 2:17) in 3rd. He takes second spot from the Soarer on lap 8. I end lap 10 +7 secs ahead of the now charging Lancer Evo who's about 0.5 secs a lap faster than me. Impreza now all over the Soarer for 3rd spot and matching my lap times also.

Laps 11 to 15: By staying consistently around the 2:17 dead mark the gap back to the Lancer remains the same at around +7 secs. Soarer has bunched up the pack nicely, about +34 secs further back. Two horse race already?

Laps 16 to 20: That Lancer is really keeping me honest as both our lap times start to dip into the high 2:17/low 2:18 region. By the end of lap 20 my tyres are down to about 67% front and 80% rear, but apexes are harder to find and understeer is really kicking in - see, I told you she was hard on tyres, even lightly worn ones! The Lancer is making big in-roads into my slender lead so I decide to dive into the pits for new tyres and no fuel. Leads is +4 secs to the Lancer, but I also notice the the Fairlady Z is up to 4th and pulling 2:15s in the process! Interesting.

Laps 21 to 25: I exit the pits -26 seconds down in 2nd place and quickly drop back into the high 2:16s. Fairlady Z is now up to 3rd some 22 seconds behind me ad running very slightly faster. By the end of lap 25 I'm -20 seconds behind the leading Lancer and very slowly catching him.

Laps 26 to 30: I keep banging in the 2:16s and by lap 28 the Lancer is starting to suffer on worn tyres and the first back markers. I take full advantage of this and run up behind him by lap 30 I'm just -4 seconds down.

Laps 31 to 35: On lap 31 I hit my fastest lap of the race so far of 2:15.574 and cross the line just -0.334 seconds behind. I think that lap time is due to drafting the Lancer. It allows me to take him into the first hairpin and retake the lead. I have now lapped the Celica, G35 and Atenza and also pulling away nicely from the Lancer. On lap 35 I lap the Aristo and GTO to take a +12 second lead.

Laps 36 to 40: I lap the Accord on lap 36 and just keep plugging away as the rest continue on worn tyres. The Soarer blinks first (apart from me) and pits on lap 37 with the Fairlady pitting a lap later and dropping to 4th in the process. The Aristo also pits on lap 39. By lap 40 my lap times have dropped into the mid 2:18s so I pit for new tyres and no fuel. It's going to be a close call with the fuel but I should be OK. I pit +29 seconds ahead of the Lancer.

Laps 41 to 45: Accord pits on lap 41 with the 350GT and the 2nd place Lancer on lap 42 leaving me +49 seconds ahead and in full control. But the end of lap 45 the Lancer is matching me around the 2:17 and the now 3rd placed Fairlady closing fast on him in the high 2:14s!

Laps 46 to 50: More of the same as it's stalemate at the front. I'm in cruise mode as I've lapped everyone up to the Fairlady who is all over the back of the Lancer by the end of lap 50. They are +48 seconds behind me.

Laps 51 to 55: I just cruise and let them catch me at a second a lap. I have a moment in the gravel at the second hairpin which costs me about 6 seconds, but by the end of lap 55 I'm still +40 seconds ahead

Laps 56 to 60: The Fairlady finally slips past the Lancer on lap 56 to claim 2nd place. I'm just running to the end now and cross the line to win.

Finishing time was 2:18:42.981 with a MOV of +31.245 seconds over the second place Fairlady Z and third placed Lancer Evo.

Fastest lap was on lap 31: 2:15.574

Final Positions:
1. Me - Delta HF Integrale Evo '91 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. 2:11:32.466 (F/L 2:15.574)
2. Fairlady Z (Z34) '08 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +31.245 (F/L 2:14.436)
3. Lancer Evolution X GSR PP '07 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +34.772 lap (F/L 2:16.067)
4. Impreza Sedan WRX STi '94 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. + 1 lap (F/L 2:17.451)
5. Skyline Coupe 350GT '03 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:17.051)
6. Soarer 430SCV '01 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 laps (F/L 2:18.214)
7. Aristo V300 '00 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 laps (F/L 2:18.316)
8. Accord Coupe EX '03 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 laps (F/L 2:18.761)
9. GTO Twin Turbo MR '98 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 laps (F/L 2:18.178)
10. Mazdaspeed Atenza '05 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +2 laps (F/L 2:20.979)
11. G35 Coupe '06 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...&#8230;. +2 laps (F/L 2:21.732)
12. Celica GT-Four RC (ST185) '91 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +2 laps (F/L 2:21.140)

Conclusion:
Good run where I finally got a decent drive out of the Delta. Power was a little low for out-and-out fun as it was agonising coming out of the tight turns and trying to pick up speed, but I was able to maintain good momentum when needed. Even at 399PP she was probably 0.5 secs a lap too fast for a close run as, once again as ever, 2 stops on faster tyres is faster than 1 stop.

Last edited:
Maza Eunos Roadster J-Limited (NA) '91

187 BHP
1055 kg
348 PP

Sports Soft, no aids except ABS "1" etc. Lineup #5.

54 laps into the race, with barely a lap without the Fairlady Z34 in the mirror, while I am braking down at the end of the S/F straight, he rams me hard and sends me spinning. I drop back to third. The two leaders increase their lead during the next 3 laps and I retire from the race.

Drat!

(edit : Second attempt and it happened again. Lap 54 and very nearly the same spot of the track. THAT took some deep breaths)

Last edited:
Mazda Roadster (NA Special Package) '89

170 BHP (PL 97.5%)
1046 kg (200 kg ballast)
350 PP

No aids exept ABS of "1". Sports Soft tyres, rear wing turned all down.
Sony controller.

1) Nissan 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd (Brun)
2) Subaru Legacy B4 Blitzen '00
3) Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver.S TT 2seater (York)
4) Nissan 300ZX 2by2 Z32 '98 (Koller)
5) Mazdaspeed Atenza '05
6) Honda Accord Coupe EX '03
7) ego
8) Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo MR '95
9) Mitsubishi Lancer EVO IX GSR '05
10) Subaru Legacy 2.0GT spec.B '03
11) Toyota Soarer 430SCV '01
12) Toyota Supra RZ '97

Before the end of lap two I was on first spot. Followed by Brun, York and Koller. This didn't change for the rest of the race except when we pitted.
There's really not much to tell. It would be "I put an extra half second or so between me and Brun, the gap between Brun and York opened even more" or "I lost a bit to Brun again", lap after lap. But I slowly pulled away, very slowly.

Lap 8. 2:17.326 - Best lap until lap 37.

Lap 10. Brun +5.4 secs - York - Koller.

Lap 27. 2:17.3 - Brun +5.6 sec

Lap 33. At end of lap in for tyres, no fuel.

Lap 34. Rejoined race on 2nd spot!

Lap 35. 2:18.9 - +21 sec

Lap 36. 2:18.7 - +16 secs

Lap 37. 2:16.843 - Best Lap. +12.4 secs. A clear example of the AI's miserable pit stop strategy. Brun is slow now on bad tyres, and getting slower.

Lap 38. 2:18.3 - +9 secs

Lap 40. I overtook Brun

lap 47. Brun FINALLY pitted. Brun +1:15 secs - York - Koller.

Lap 50. 2:20.7 - Brun +1:10.4

Lap 55. 2:21.2 - Brun +59.9 secs

Lap 60. Total Time 2:20.03.366

First half of the race was very close, after that the win was never in doubt.

Last edited:
OK, this was an odd one. I decided to try out my RX-7 '90 that I recently ran successfully at the Laguna Seca 200. I left it in the exact same set up (354PP including no change) and selected one of the easier grids that Dotini had found last year - 10th grid after console reset and PDC Madrid entry/exit. I set off and hit the front at the beginning of lap 2. By lap 10 it was pretty obvious I was going to walk this so I quit to try something else.

So I dropped the PL to the lowest permitted level and started the race again with the same grid. Surely 333PP is too low? Well, let's find out...

Car: Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90
HP: 173
PP: 333
Weight: 1330Kg
Mods: Full trans, sports clutch, sports flywheel, carbon prop shaft, sports suspension.
Power Level: 85%
Top Speed Setting: 149mph
Tyres: SS
All aids off. ABS 1. DFGT wheel.

Set Up:

Grid:
1. 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05
2. Legacy B4 Blitzen '00
3. Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver. S
4. Nissan 300ZX 2by2 '98
5. MazdaSpeed Atenza '05
6. Accord Coupe '03
7. Me
8. Mits GTO Twin Turbo '95
9. Lancer EVO IX '05
10. Legacy B4 2.0GT Spec B '03
11. Soarer 430SCV '01
12. Supra RZ '97

Lap 1: 2:23.685 - Ouch, no speed on the straight means the GTO and Lancer blast past. I get past the Lancer at the first turn but can only just hang on to the pack. I pick my passes from way back and make them stick. End lap +4.4 secs in 3rd with Fairlady Z all over me.

Laps 2 to 5: I can draft nicely on the straights and manage to hit the mid to low 2:17s. The Fairlady gets me on lap 2 but we both pass the Blizten and stay 3rd. I manage to grab 2nd spot from the Fairlady on the next lap by staying flat through the sweeping esses before the second hairpin. I end lap 5 -2 secs behind the 350Z.

Laps 6 to 10: I try to keep consistent and slowly gain inch-by-inch on the leader. If I'm not hitting every apex I'm not going to catch him. Any mistakes and it's over. By the end of lap 10 I'm just -1.5 secs behind and looking to get in his draft soon. 3rd place Fairlady is 12 seconds behind.

Laps 11 to 15: On lap 12 I'm much closer and find it surprisingly easy to pass him to go first as we go into the first tunnel. Still no mistakes and the tyres are holding up well considering how much the Mazda slides. I'm now in the 2:18 region with the 350Z about a second slower. End lap 15 +5 seconds in the lead.

Laps 16 to 20: My mind now turns to pitstops. I'm not going to get 30 laps out of these tyres so I need to increase my lead to compensate for the extra pitstop. Trouble is, I start to feel a little less sharpness as my tyres wear. I keep focused on the task but my times are dropping into the 2:18/2:19s. The good news is that the 350Z has also slowed a little so when I pit at the end of lap 20 for tyres (no fuel) I'm +7.5 secs ahead.

Laps 21 to 25: I exit the pits in 2nd place right on the nose of the 3rd place Fairlady. I stay ahead on slippery cold tyres and then get my head down to catch the leader who is now on wearing tyres. I drop back into the 2:17s in my pursuit and start catching the 350Z at over 2 seconds a lap. By the end of lap 25 I'm just -6.5 seconds behind and over 20 seconds ahead of 3rd place.

Laps 26 to 30: I catch and pass the lead 350Z purely on grip away from the second hairpin on lap 28. I hit my fastest lap of the race so far on lap 29 of 2:16.950 and start to pull away. At the end of lap 30 I'm +3.3 seconds ahead. The 350Z is only managing 2:21s at the moment.

Laps 31 to 35: On lap 31 the 300ZX catches and passes the Fairlady who appears to be going backwards now. I lap my first car, the Atenza, on lap 33. I lap the Supra on lap 35. Still keeping in the 2:18/2:19 region and pulling away from the ailing 350Z. End lap 35 +12.8 seconds ahead.

Laps 36 to 40: On lap 36 I hit a whole group of backmarkers and lap the Legacy, Legacy Blitzen, Soarer, Lancer Evo, GTO and Accord in matter of a few corners. Eventually the Soarer blinks first and pits on lap 38. The 300ZX pits on lap 39 and I pit for new tyres and no fuel on the next lap. I pit for the second time with a lead of +27 seconds with no sign of the top 3 stopping. PD really needs to sort this out, it's now a glaring issue with the AI.

Laps 41 to 45: The Accord pits on lap 41 followed by the GTO on lap 43. I lap the 3rd place 300ZX on lap 42. The Supra pits on lap 44 and at the end of lap 45 I'm +28 seconds ahead and cruising, safe in the knowledge the 350Z has yet to pit.

Laps 46 to 50: The Lancer and Blitzen pit on lap 48 with the Legacy on the next lap. I'm lapping in the 2:18s and the 350Z is now nearer 2:25 and has not pitted.

Laps 51 to 55: The 350Z finally pits on lap 51 and rejoins still in 2nd. He drops back into the 2:18s and in response (I have no idea why I responded) I hit my fastest lap of the race, 2:16.939 on lap 52. At the end of lap 55 I'm just under a minute ahead.

Laps 56 to 60: No drama during the cruise to the line and I win with my all-time lowest PP level for any endurance race (to date ;)).

Finishing time was 2:19:18.115 with a MOV of +1 minute 18.443 seconds over the second place 350Z and third placed 300ZX.

Fastest lap was on lap 52: 2:16.939

Final Positions:
1. Me - Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. 2:19:18.115 (F/L 2:16.939)
2. 350Z Gran Turismo 4 Ltd '05 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1:18.443 (F/L 2:16.869)
3. Nissan 300ZX 2by2 '98 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;... +1 lap (F/L 2:18.029)
4. Fairlady Z 300ZX Ver. S &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:18.447)
5. Legacy B4 2.0GT Spec B '03 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:17.525)
6. Soarer 430SCV '01 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;.........&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:18.531)
7. Accord Coupe '03 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..........&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:19.243)
8. Supra RZ '97 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;................. +1 lap (F/L 2:18.065)
9. Lancer EVO IX '05 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;..........&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:18.404)
10. Mits GTO Twin Turbo '95 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:19.278)
11. Legacy B4 Blitzen '00 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;...&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +1 lap (F/L 2:20.006)
12. MazdaSpeed Atenza '05 &#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;&#8230;. +2 lap (F/L 2:20.394)

Conclusion:
Well, I was expecting a close race or not even winning at all, so this was quite a surprise. I'll take this very low PP win, but it brings up a few questions about how the levels are calculated post the v2.10 update. There's no way this car should have won here, especially such an underpowered one. OK, I selected the grid carefully, but even so&#8230; :indiff: Perhaps a solution would be for PD to sort out the useless AI pit strategies in future updates. Please.

This little Mazda is a true gem. She likes to slide about but that's just her style and she makes very rapid progress indeed. Controllable, no drama and plenty of fun. I highly recommend you try one out. :D

As for lower runs? Not that likely as the only options I have are maxing out the ballast and keeping the oil dirty, neither of which really appeals. So I'm going to put her out to pasture for a bit and move on something new. :)

Edit: Added settings and finish screen.

Last edited:
Oh what a fine race, axletramp!
Of course, it blasts my attempts in the Roadsters at 340 PP: they cannot catch the front car in the first important few laps and I have resigned myself to keeping his advantage as little as possible and making it a true pit stop race.
But 333 PP? Ouch.

I too found the 10th GV after Madrid to offer the best chance of win after looking through all of the grid options at the top of the page.

Back