Motor City Tunes

Toe Angle

This is a very useful setting. I think most people are too conservative with these settings and try to keep them close to zero. There is a belief about the use of toe (and camber) increasing tire wear. I just haven’t seen it, nor have I seen anyone post any concrete tests to prove it. I see the exact same thing in the real world. People will run zero toe on their Spec Miata and claim that by running any toe that it will scrub a noticeable amount of straight line speed. Look at most road racing circuits and break down the miles into straight segments and turns… most have more miles of corners, right. I want to be faster than everyone else in the corners. That is what wins races – corner speed. If I can exit a corner leading onto a straight at 3 miles per hour faster than you, I will be 10 miles per hour faster than you at the end of the straight and be in perfect position to pass you in the easiest place to pass. Don’t be afraid to use this setting to give the car what it is asking for, either front or rear grip.

Also, toe settings do seem to be completely linear across the settings. Rear toe has a more significant effect on car rotation. Front toe doesn’t seem to add much corner grip – just moves the grip to the part of the corner where you need it. I use front toe to balance the corner for a smooth entry, mid-corner apex and exit.

Front toe:
• Higher negative number, more mid corner and exit grip and slightly reduced turn in. Nearly all of my cars use negative front toe.
• Zero is a neutral setting.
• Higher positive number, better turn in and less mid-corner and exit grip. Some high powered cars like LMP cars will have a low negative front toe number, neutral or a bit of positive front toe.

Rear toe:
• Higher negative number, more oversteer, more rotation. Don’t be afraid of negative rear toe on FR cars. If the car isn’t rotating, add negative toe. Most 4WD and FF tunes have negative rear toe.
• Zero is a neutral setting.
• Higher positive number, more planted rear, less rotation. Most of my FR, MR and RR tunes have some positive toe.

I have a quick question Hami. I found, At least in the instance of my 2000gt's rear settings negative toe actually tamed the rear end up. 0.20(stock) made the car slide out in every turn even going 5-10mph slower than recommended. But, -0.15 made it pick up the 5-10mph and still retain a measure of its character. It is still a work in progress so there may be other factors to this, I'm wondering if you have experienced this as well on any cars and if there may be exceptions?

Congratulations Hami. :)👍

Thank you. It is an even greater accomplishment to have beaten the tune of the week master. :)

I have a quick question Hami. I found, At least in the instance of my 2000gt's rear settings negative toe actually tamed the rear end up. 0.20(stock) made the car slide out in every turn even going 5-10mph slower than recommended. But, -0.15 made it pick up the 5-10mph and still retain a measure of its character. It is still a work in progress so there may be other factors to this, I'm wondering if you have experienced this as well on any cars and if there may be exceptions?

I have not experienced any deviations to toe settings. I am not saying that they do not exist, but I haven't run into it yet. Some cars in GT5 are just odd. Spring rates seem to be the most wide ranged differences that I have run into. The general rule for spring rates don't work for me on every car.

I spent a lot of time making once change at a time then kept notes. This helped me to get to my guide. Test a few ranges on the 2000 GT and see if there is a sweet spot somewhere through the settings. Interesting find. This could be one of the odd cars in GT5. I just tuned the Yellow Bird and it is defiantly a strange car.

Congrats on your tune of the week, Hami. I haven't had the chance to try it yet (still working on transmission settings) but I'm sure it's a blast to drive. Keep up the great work!👍

Congrats on your tune of the week, Hami. I haven't had the chance to try it yet (still working on transmission settings) but I'm sure it's a blast to drive. Keep up the great work!👍

Thanks Lionheart. Let me know if I can help with the transmission work. Do you work in Microsoft Excel? If so, I could send you the spreadsheet that I use to compare gearboxes.

Thank you to danbojte for the nomination for Tune of the Week. My Mini Cooper S '07 was selected as the April 5th Tune of the Week. Link to the tune here in my garage. https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=8321617#post8321617

Congrats to you on the Tune of the Week for the Mini Cooper, Hami. :D Oh... and thanks for the putting up the Challenger setup, the setup is so good 👍, really like handling of it. Plus you're invited to join in the race organized by my team captain, vinze1129 if you like to, just PM to him, Hami.

I have not experienced any deviations to toe settings. I am not saying that they do not exist, but I haven't run into it yet. Some cars in GT5 are just odd. Spring rates seem to be the most wide ranged differences that I have run into. The general rule for spring rates don't work for me on every car.

I spent a lot of time making once change at a time then kept notes. This helped me to get to my guide. Test a few ranges on the 2000 GT and see if there is a sweet spot somewhere through the settings. Interesting find. This could be one of the odd cars in GT5. I just tuned the Yellow Bird and it is defiantly a strange car.

I have actually found that my initial statement is only partly right. It seems that either direction I go gives similar effects. I would like a second opinion on this but the car seems to get more loose as the numbers get higher in either direction.

I have actually found that my initial statement is only partly right. It seems that either direction I go gives similar effects. I would like a second opinion on this but the car seems to get more loose as the numbers get higher in either direction.

If you are changing a single setting and neither direction has much effect, then something else in the tune is causing the issue.

I can't figure out what it would be. I have never had an issue like this before, then again majority of my previous tunes had to be driven like a drift car in the corners so the tail getting loose didn't matter. Now I'm trying to tame it up it's fighting me. I can post up the suspension tune later or if you send an FR I can share the exact car.

First of all,thanks for the amazing tunes and info you've shared...I just got back into GT5 after a long break..Nice to see the updates and I'm still trying to get to lev 40..I'm having great fun with the seasonals and was wondering if you would consider doing a Lambo tune for the seasonal on Nur.I think the Countach tune would be fun as I'm a fan of RWD...How about it?(I'm hoping you enjoy the Ring).Although it does seem a little narrow in this game.

Out of curiosity, what do you make of the rigidity improvement option? Does it make no difference, or does it actually damage the cars performance?

Out of curiosity, what do you make of the rigidity improvement option? Does it make no difference, or does it actually damage the cars performance?

Restore Body Rigidity - Repairs damage caused to the car body during extended circuit driving, thereby restoring its original rigidity. I do this to every car that I purchase from the UCD.

Chassis Rigidity Improvement - with the image of the shock tower brace for under the hood. I very rarely use this option. It causes more under steer. When I first started tuning in GT5, I used it on higher powered cars. Now, I never install it. Even high powered cars in GT5 need to turn. Useless parts option in my opinion.

is it possible to take the chassis rigity improvement off?

also could it maybe still work for some cars, like perhaps the yellowbird?

Hami,
You haven't heard from me before, but I have a couple of your tunes I believe. I have used mainly Praiano's tunes but I had a problem with the tune for a 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra that he published. I ran it on the Nordschleife and was very dissappointed.

I used to race Mustangs myself and ran the Silver State Classic series of rallies for a few years in a very prepped 96 SVT Cobra. I know that my car ran better than the Praiano tune, using a torque arm, panhard bar, and coil-over Konis all around. I was wondering if you had a tune for the 2000 SVT??? I figured that having independent rear suspension would be better than my cobbled up suspension. That said, I used to laugh at the expression on the faces of Porche and Viper guys with me barking at their butts in the corners on the tracks like Seattle Intl Raceway. In the 96 SVT, the stock suspension was OK, if a bit sloppy to about 8/10ths effort, then it became a beached whale!!

Steve Saleen drove my car for a few laps on a track day with me riding shotgun...... that is when I realized that the stock suspension had to go. He had that car turned every which way and very loose!!! I think we were sideways more than straight on the Seattle Intl track.

Anyway, I think there has to be more in the 2000 SVT and I wondered if you would consider a tune for it. I asked Praiano about it on my "Need help with the Ford GT-40" thread (Page 2 of the Tuning Forum) but never heard back from him. ( I have since managed to win with the GT-40 on the Nordschleife) I usually race online for the big bucks!

Thank you for all your tunes, and the tuning guides.
Cheers, Peter

Hami,
2000 SVT Mustang Cobra
Cheers, Peter

I like Praiano's tunes, but they are not an exact fit for me. In the past we had very different approaches to LSD tuning, but we have both evolved closer to each other's methods. Now I'm not sure what the major differences are in our approaches - maybe camber and toe. I am less afraid to use as much as the car is asking for and I think he has limits that he doesn't want to go above. Anyway, much respect for his tunes, he is certainly among the elite.

I have a couple of the 2000 SVT Mustangs in my garage. I'll see if I can dig one up and tune it this weekend.

I was wondering if you have done a car setup for the 500PP Lamborghini Exclusive Seasonal Event, need a good setup for the Nurburgring Nordschleife race as can not better 3rd after having trird two other setups.

Thanks, & keep up the great work.

Mazda RX8 Type S '03
303hp, 1310kg, 456PP, 10,454 miles
DS3, FPS Freek stick extenders, ABS 1

8685324608_26df8be61f.jpg

This tune was created for Mitch's Budget Car Challenge. Using only $80,000 credits, purchase a car, sport hard tires and as many upgrade parts as you can afford. Below is my build.

27,500 used car dealer cost per mygranturismo.net
free - engine rebuild/oil change
7,500 Adjustable LSD
15,000 Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
20,000 Fully Customizable Transmission
2,500 Engine Tuning Stage 1
1,000 ECU Tuning
450 Racing Air Filter
6,000 Sport Hard Tires
79,950 total build cost

2.12 Tune
RH -14/-12
Springs 12.5/8.0
Dampers ext 9/4
Dampers comp 5/3
ARB 3/4
Camber 2.7/2.2
Toe -0.14/0.12
LSD 8/12/7
Brake balance 4/6
Ballast 0
Balast Position 0
Weight Distribution 50/50
Power Level 100%

Reset to default
Final Gear to 5.000
Top Speed to 112
1st gear 4.000
2nd gear 2.850
3rd gear 2.235
4th gear 1.845
5th gear 1.585
6th gear 1.400
Top Speed 180km/112mph
Final gear 3.300
Top Speed Window 163mph

Last edited:
Amuse S2000 R1 '04
305hp, 1125kg, 490PP

8716499912_ab0dc8bf94.jpg

2.12 Tune
RH -18/-17
Springs 11.0/9.5
Dampers ext 7/5
Dampers comp 4/4
ARB 3/3
Camber 3.2/3.5
Toe -0.14/0.07
LSD 10/10/14
Brake balance 6/5
Ballast 5
Balast Position 0
Weight Distribution 50/50
Power Level 100%

Reset to default
Final Gear to 5.500
Top Speed to 112
1st gear 4.200
2nd gear 3.000
3rd gear 2.355
4th gear 1.950
5th gear 1.680
6th gear 1.500
Top Speed 180km/112mph
Final gear 3.050
Top Speed Window 159mph

Last edited:
No offense taken...Yes,I meant the vintage Countach.I think it's time you leaned the Ring!The more you run it,the more you like it.

ill agree with that nearly 100% i hated it at first, but as i learn the corners, it grows on you,the sweeping bends, the green trees and hills, a joy at 300 kph or 100 kph eitherway its fun once you know it

Mine's BNR34 Skyline GT-R N1 Base '06
552hp, 1350kg, 575PP

8716499646_c33d7aa5d0.jpg

Installed Parts
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Fully Customizable Transmission
Adjustable LSD
Torque Sensing Center Differential
Suspension Fully Customizable Kit
Sport Soft Tires

2.12 Tune
RH -22/-17
Springs 15.0/10.5
Dampers ext 8/6
Dampers comp 4/5
ARB 2/6
Camber 2.9/1.5
Toe -0.10/-0.15
LSD Front (fixed) 3/18/8
LSD Rear 7/12/7
Brake balance 4/9
Downforce 18/20
Ballast 10
Balast Position 50
Weight Distribution 55/45
Power Level 93.4%

Reset to default
Final Gear to 5.000
Top Speed to 137
1st gear 2.900
2nd gear 1.925
3rd gear 1.460
4th gear 1.195
5th gear 1.020
6th gear 0.895
Top Speed 137mph
Final gear 3.550
Top Speed Window 185mph

Last edited:
krenkme
Tuning question :
How did you get less weight and more power then me at 575pp? :confused:

Aero? See that I forgot to post that. 18/20 for Aero. It looks like you forgot to post your aero settings too?

Last edited:
Honda NSX-R Concept '01
456hp, 1056kg, 544PP

8084920434_3a49f9a3a2_c.jpg

This car was built for the FITT Fall Battle 2.0 Tuner Challenge. I only had 30 minutes to tune this car and I am entering it with less than the allowed 550 performance points. I just refuse to add a GT Auto rear wing to this car because they are so ugly. This car was tuned for style and for a fun ride. I doubt that this tune will be among the fastest of the field. Car is on share now.

Track: Cape Ring

Tuned using DS3 and ABS 1.

GT Auto Services
Oil Change after 200 mile break in
Car Wash
Honda Lime Green Metallic paint

Installed Parts
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
ECU Tuning
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Intake Manifold