POLL: Happy or unhappy with Standard cars?

Are you happy having standard cars in GT6?

• Yes, I'm happy of having standard cars in GT6

Votes: 188 31.8%
  • No, I'm not happy of having standard cars in GT6

Votes: 237 40.0%
  • Don't care.

Votes: 167 28.2%

• Total voters
I think it's reasonable to keep pushing PD to convert standards to premiums, I think it's unreasonable and offensive to people who prefer the available standard models to the available premium models, to pressure PD to drop all standards and leave only the premiums in the game.

And if PD drops a lot of the cars I enjoy for the next gen console, rest assured I'll be even less motivated than I already am to go out and replace the 3 for the 4 and the 5 for the 7.

If you don't like the "lessor" cars, don't use them. Pretty simple.

But can't you just accept adding the Standard cars was just a temporary stopgap solution to make up for the lack of Premium cars in the first place and they most definitely won't be carried over forever?
If GT5 already had roughly 450-500 Premium cars they wouldn't have been added and people weren't clinging on to the GT4 car list, which some (or a lot) perhaps first experienced by playing GT5 (which makes it even more complicated I guess).

And if it's offensive or unreasonable somehow to hope for all Standard cars to be replaced by Premium models even if that means having less cars overall (and again, the 800 cars thing isn't accurate at all so they don't have to remodel 800 cars to offer the same list as Premium) then so be it.
It's also unreasonable to think that every car currently in the game will always be there in the next one as past GT's proved that isn't the case, especially when you should know they're ported straight from a previous game on a previous gen console with a lot of cars which were then current but wouldn't be the most obvious additions if they started from scratch again now.

And like you, I love a lot of the cars currently Standard and I think I felt largely the same way as you when I found out they were effectively rendered useless for me when it turned out they didn't feature interior view when for a long while this wasn't mentioned nor even considered likely.
So it goes both ways, you get to use them again for the second time (I only used them in one game bar a few exceptions I still use because they do feature something resembling a proper cockpit, namely GT4) whilst not getting a current gen GT-game consisting of only current gen content which I expected and found perfectly reasonable to expect mind you.

I'm more on the no side, but I'd say both yes and no. The reason I don't want Standard cars is because it's like playing a previous GT game again and the graphics would be worse. But then again, the old cars give me nostalgia and it's cool finding cars in other Gran Turismos I've never owned or played.

I definitely don't want Polyphony to simply exclude all the Standard cars from GT6, but I just wish they upgrade more of them. All I really want is a good interior view in all cars. A few Standard cars actually had cockpit in GT5. I'd be fine if the Standard cars don't get a full graphic update as long as I have a good cockpit view.

We only now know that dark secret, so the only sales that it could effect are GT6's. No one knew that GT5 was going to be 80% standards and 20% premium, so of course it didn't effect it's sales. Even it being out for so long, most people don't even bother reading up on a game before buying it, in fact most just go off what's advertised on game cases and ads and whatnot.
I really can't see how you can say that. All it takes is a bad review to clobber a new release. Especially in this Millennium in which every phone has a browser, we're swamped with information, and gamer gossip makes or breaks game sales. I would say that GT5 sold ten million copies in two years because people got to experience it for themselves and didn't get fussed over the Standards, and spread the word to their friends.

Also, I don't see why people get so offended when someone says they don't want standard cars in the game. It's just their opinion!
Well, some of you get all huffy simply at the thought of those cars being in GT6. It's the same emotion but much stronger when we're told we can't have something. Would you be happy being informed that you can't have a raise, a vacation or a promotion? If I went into your GT5 garage and started deleting cars, would you throw me out of your house or would you be fine with that? You could get them back without too much trouble, seeing as every Premium but a tiny number of special cars are in the New Car Dealership, but I doubt that would be in your mind if I started hitting that Option button.

I'm happy driving standard cars in GT5, but it would be nice if they could slightly remove some pixelation etc, not too worried about polygon count - its mainly just the pixels that don't make them look that great.
Eh, not really. Most of the Standards have faceted body shapes, especially around wheel wells. Some of them have that issue around window frames and is quite noticeable, like the Opel Calibra Touring Car. A few are so sharply faceted all over, they look like GT2 models, like the Opel Speedster.

They are going to be improved to the point that they won't be segregated in the car lots, they won't be excluded from Photo Mode locations, they will be modifiable like Premiums, so I expect them to be more than what they are now, which should be outstanding.

Interiors could be a problem until they get them all modeled, but you guys who actually like that view baffle me, because I haven't seen a cockpit view in a racer that looked right yet.

Interiors could be a problem until they get them all modeled, but you guys who actually like that view baffle me, because I haven't seen a cockpit view in a racer that looked right yet.

Neither have I seen a Standard car that does. :D

They did that. Then they added 800 other cars to make it a better game.

At this point, if I were you, I'd just ask for an off button for standard cars. In A-Spec, they're removed from the game. Online, they're replaced with a generic premium car.

Taking them away just doesn't make sense.

They made it a better game by how much? Theres plenty of duplicates and pointless trims in that 800 number. I believe almost 100 are Skylines alone. Also without a cockpit, with subpar damage modeling, and without working windshield wipers those cars only add so much to the game.

Saying they add to the game is like saying buying hundreds of pounds of ultra cheap rice is adding to your dinner selection when you already have high quality steak, ham, and pork chops. While technically it may be true, in practice it is quite different. In fact any personal chef who did such a thing would likely be fired.

I've already made a thread about which (sub)standard cars should be upgraded to premium in GT6. Here it is. Going off of its results, Polyphony Digital only needs to salvage no more then 150 (sub)standard cars from GT5. 150 is a generous number that would be more then enough to keep every relevant car from GT5 in GT6.

If Polyphony Digital could keep up with industry standard, we would have 250 GT5 premiums, plus the 150 best/most important (sub)standard models from GT5, plus just over 100 brand new never before seen in GT cars.

@Earth. I'm hoping something like your list would take GT into the PS4 era. Can't imagine having any PS2 port models after this GT. I'm anxious to see what standards got promoted-you've made a good list. A roster like that should satisfy anyone unless they were a collector geek and wanted every variance of Skyline, Miata etc...

I'd prefer the standard upgrades focus on the many iconic and historically significant cars in GT's garage. Hopefully that will be the main consideration.

I feel like PD wants to charge people for their hard work making standard cars into premium. You see, sales of DLC's are really dropping down as the game gets older, as people moved their interest away, as people stopped playing GT5. DLC's can't make as much profit as it used to be. So it comes down the decision of releasing the new game on an old console, so then people who left will pay again for the game that they have once forgot. And for people who are still playing GT5, clearly they will pay for GT6....

It's all marketing decision.

Well, some of you get all huffy simply at the thought of those cars being in GT6. It's the same emotion but much stronger when we're told we can't have something. Would you be happy being informed that you can't have a raise, a vacation or a promotion? If I went into your GT5 garage and started deleting cars, would you throw me out of your house or would you be fine with that? You could get them back without too much trouble, seeing as every Premium but a tiny number of special cars are in the New Car Dealership, but I doubt that would be in your mind if I started hitting that Option button.

Similar can be said about the people who think "Don't like them, don't use them." is a good solution for the people who don't like the standard cars when they were a roadblock in GT5's carrer mode at one time. And unfortunately, they still are for people who can't connect their PS3 to the Internet. Why should I be denied a pleasant gameplay exprience, just because PD decided to included standard cars but were too embarrassed about them to implement them in the game competently?

When I see in GT6 that PD chose to no longer alienate standard cars in any aspect, maybe I'll be fine with them. And I don't care what Kaz, PD, or anyone says in the meantime, because we all know how that ends up sometimes. I need to see it with my own two eyes once I get the game. But the bottom line is, I think people are going to be gravely disappointed if they think PD can keep recycling these cars forever.

I voted happy. Like Tenacious D, I love most of the cars that were unfortunately not remodelled to Premium quality. If they disappeared I'd be extremely disappointed :ill:

But with this fancy-sounding tessellation technology, and the fact they are going to be good enough for Photo Travel - I'm optimistic that the standard of Standards will have improved.

My only concern is the cockpit issue. Give us a generic left/right-hand drive interior, or at the very least the black silhouette. No Cockpit entirely is inexcusable.

Edit: 75 of my 100 favourites are Standard :dopey:

If they take out standard cars, they're basically taking away over half of the car selection. They should have some sort of "standard cockpit". Where they take a model of a car's cockpit (the car would be a premium car related to the standard model) and put the cockpit model into the standard car. It wouldn't be realistic but at least it's a cockpit, right?

I don't care as long as the cars are still in the game. I love the variety of the cars they have in this game, for example the Gathers Driders Civic, 2000's Concept cars, and the Chaparral cars. Cars like these make me love the Gran Turismo Series

They really don't bother me, I even enjoy driving some of them actually. But indeed, there should be an option to "disable" them in a-spec. It would be easy to do, and that way everybody would be happy.

I'd rather have a pixelated, bad-looking Spyker C8 as opposed to not having one at all. Same goes for many cars, such as the Road-going Zondas. I'd adore a premium Zonda C12S 7.3, but even if it looks bad by today's *standards* (see what I did there?) I still want to drive it.

As we speak, I'm ''unhappy''. While the standards will once again include many of my favourite cars, I'm not exactly excited to use almost a decade old assets - again.

And as Kaz has said about only the bad quality Standard models being updated, then I believe they will once again drag the overall quality of the game down. At least they are no longer alienated from Photo Mode.

If they're eliminating the distinction between standard and premium, at the very least I should be able to buy standard models from manufacturer dealerships. That was one of my major problems with GT5.

If they're eliminating the distinction between standard and premium, at the very least I should be able to buy standard models from manufacturer dealerships. That was one of my major problems with GT5.

I do hope so. 800 cars and only 30 available at any one time in a semi-random order was ridiculous.

I think its safe to say that the dealership will be different for GT6 since the standards and premiums are no longer separated. I'm personally fine with them if PD is allowing me to customize them more and take them to photo travel.

I think its safe to say that the dealership will be different for GT6 since the standards and premiums are no longer separated. I'm personally fine with them if PD is allowing me to customize them more and take them to photo travel.

I'd like to see them take the GT4 dealership format of "New" and "Classics" for premiums and standards, respectively. I don't want to be limited to a pathetic used car dealer and play the waiting game, but at the same time I don't really want all the hundreds of standards mixed in between the premiums in the dealership menu, so having a submenu in the dealership for premiums and standards would be the best option. Apparently the premium/standard distinction is gone but the quality difference isn't, so just go with the "New" and "Classics" format or something similar.

I'll rather have 1200 cars, both premium and standars then 400 (premium)cars in total.

Btw, in GT5 the standard cars felt alot more light and different on the road then the premium ones. There will be no different in the pysich now between the standard and the premium ones as you could feel in GT5. Bring on those >1200 cars :)

Edit: you can also bring the standards ones the photoshot.

I'd like to see them take the GT4 dealership format of "New" and "Classics" for premiums and standards, respectively. I don't want to be limited to a pathetic used car dealer and play the waiting game, but at the same time I don't really want all the hundreds of standards mixed in between the premiums in the dealership menu, so having a submenu in the dealership for premiums and standards would be the best option. Apparently the premium/standard distinction is gone but the quality difference isn't, so just go with the "New" and "Classics" format or something similar.

To me gt mode of gt4 would be very wellcome again just like the away it is with all standards and premiums all mixed up in the dealership just separating the classics, the tuners, and the special brand like nismo or TRD. Used car dealer would have standards and premium too.

I think that all standards will now look like premiums but won't have cockpit view.

If that's what you're expecting, prepare to be disappointed.

Shirrako may not be correct in all regards, but one thing is clear... the standard cars will look better since they will be allowed to be taken into photo mode.

My only concern is the customization with the Standard cars.

Shirrako may not be correct in all regards, but one thing is clear... the standard cars will look better since they will be allowed to be taken into photo mode.

My only concern is the customization with the Standard cars.

One thing keeps bothering me, how will they put both Standard and Premium cars in the same dealership if one will look worse than the other? just doesn't make sense, that's the reason why i'm hoping the difference from the outside between Standard and Premium cars will be significant.

Edit: perhaps they will put standards in a different dealership in each manufacturer like the classic cars in GT4, what do you think?

Last edited:
Back