Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

Serious mature question for MOTW:

With the PS4 coming in the holiday season this year, is it the right time to consider moving up to the next generation?

-What's your favorite music genre?
-Is there anything you'd like to tell someone right in their face? If yes, would it be nice or not quite what one would consider a well-behaved-gentleman manner of speech?
-Do you love me?:
A)Yes
B)A
C)B
-Why is the answer to the first question wrong?

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house how crazy do you rate yourself?

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house how crazy do you rate yourself?

Is that a personal attack on me? :odd:

Just kidding. :lol:

The thing is, real crazy people usually don't know they're mad, so somebody saying that they are mad usually means they aren't. If you catch my drift...

Is that a personal attack on me? :odd:

Just kidding. :lol:

The thing is, real crazy people usually don't know they're mad, so somebody saying that they are mad usually means they aren't. If you catch my drift...

I bet you are sane compared to me.

Although you did win the award. :P

People misjudge insanity very often. I'm not 'insane' as the majority would book it, I just have a few...mental issues which make me a little different from everyone else.

Most people spend their lives trying to be different and set trends, some of us just want to be 'normal'. :indiff:

Whoa...way off topic. Sorry.

Well I'm officially back on duty in preparation for the E3 bombardment, but that has little to do with this week's inductee who loves his Coopers, Mini Coopers.

You know who it is, don't you? Of course you do, welcome Joey D to the Member of the Week madhouse!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?

I'm kind of surprised to be honest, but I feel as honored as someone can feel being recognized by a site full of video game geeks.

2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?

I saw an article in Sport Compact car back in 2002 and thought I’d join up. As for what keeps me coming back? GTP feels like home and I don't really want to go through that awkward stage of joining a new forum and getting to know everyone. The only other place I really go on the Internet is Reddit.

3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?

I float around, but I prefer the Cars in General and Auto News forms the most. It’s hard to find others around me to have automotive discussions, so I search out things on the Internet and there tends to be a decent balance with topics in the Automotive forums

4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?

My mom bought me the first Gran Turismo because the salesmen at Electronic Boutique (now EB games or Gamestop) told her it was a must have for anyone who liked cars. I remember when I got it I had no idea what half the cars even were. Living in Michigan during the late 90’s, there wasn’t a ton of variation of cars out on the road other than a bunch of domestics, so seeing all those Japanese cars was sort of a shock. I also had no idea why some cars like the 300ZX were called a Fairlady either.

5. How did you come up with the name "Joey D"?

It’s one of those nicknames that just stuck with me. In high school everyone called me Joey D, even teachers. I rarely get called that anymore outside the Internet, but there’s still some old friends and my mom that refer to me as “Joey”.

6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?

Up until GT5, I would have said GT probably, but now I’m way more into Forza. GT5 wasn't very good and the fact that PS2 models showed up in the game kind of ruined a part of it for me. I will get GT6 since I still do like the series and I’m sure it will be way better than GT5 was, but I’m looking forward to FM5 more.

Although I still consider GT3 to be the best out of any of them.

7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?

I don't really play a ton of racing games, but I still fire up the PS2 and play Tourist Trophy and Enthusia occasionally though.

8. In 2009 and 2010 you won the GTPlanet Award for "Most Opinionated" and "Best Thread", respectively. Is the former something you still hold true to or have you eased back? As for the latter, was it expected at all?

I'm still opinionated, but I've given up on the Opinion Forum because my views don't belong there and for best thread? I really wish I could have made the Star in a Reasonably Priced car work, I just couldn't get my video capturing to work with my TV.

9. Mechanical or Membrane keyboard?

The sound of a mechanical keyboard is up there with a baby crying, a dog barking, and Joe Buck's voice on the list of noises that drive me up a wall. I have a Logitech something or other with an LCD screen and backlights.

10. In a funny turn of events, you're about answer the questions you posed to me last week which means you may as well have been talking to yourself! Thoughts?

I talk to myself all the time, I’m actually a pretty interesting person to hold a conversation with, although I can be a real jerk to myself sometimes.

11. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?

Other than the obvious answer of DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball, probably the Eve universe. I've always wanted to be a space archaeologist flying cool ships.

12. If you could create your own motorsport series what would it entail?

Mobility Scooter Racing, it would be like MotoGP but on Hoverounds.

13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.

I grew up in Lake Orion, MI (pronounced Or-EE-on) which is known for its dragon, which came about when in the late 1800’s some kids built a fake dragon and put it in Lake Orion (the body of water) and people thought it was real. Grand Rapids, where I live now, is known for its beer. We were actually just voted 2013 Beer City, USA and that’s something I can drink to! :cheers:

14. You're well known for your love of all things Mini, how'd that come about?

When I was in the UK during the summer of '07 I really ended up liking the car. My love for them died when my transmission went out in my Cooper and they wanted nearly $10,000 to fix it. I traded it in a got the Focus, which I don't mind but I'll be getting something else once I get married since my girlfriend/future Mrs. D will probably end up with my car. I really want to buy a Tesla Model S.

15. I'd imagine the Mini was one of the first cars you purchased in GT and Forza?

It was, and even now I still buy one if it's in the game. The Focus isn't in any games, although the Focus ST is so I usually get that when I can.

16. Other than tearing up the pavement with the Focus, do you have any other hobbies?

Is drinking a hobby? If it is then that. Otherwise I collect watches, travel occasionally, and I like to take pictures of things.

17. Given the opportunity, what would you do as a Moderator here?

Go into the “mods only forum” and spend hours looking through the “Naked Babes” thread you guys have in there.

18. Knowing you already own a Focus, are you driving anything else special at the moment?

I have a 1995 Dodge Neon racecar that I built with some friends. It has a 2.4L out of a Stratus in in and we attempt to Rallycross it. We are terrible drivers and the car doesn't help that since it’s built out of junkyard parts, but we have a ton of fun doing it.

19. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?

Eh I don’t really get into much of the early posts I made. There’s quite a few ludicrous claims. There was quite a few issues with me when I was younger and I used the Internet as a means to escape all that, albeit poorly. Looking back on all of it makes me wonder why I just didn't go to the doctor and get everything sorted out. It took me a long time before I did and once I got everything taken care of, I became a better person.

As for how I post today, I think about what I’m posting more and I don’t lie since there’s no reason too. I learned my lesson, in more ways than just on GTP, and I’m better for it.

20. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?

PS3 controllers? None. Xbox (like the original one) I broke several while playing that godforsaken game of Midnight Club. I still get twitchy thinking about how irritating that game was to play

21. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?

On a US Airways flight from Detroit to Phoenix, work was paying for the Internet so I figured why not?

22. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?

A few months I’d imagine, I honestly don’t really know though.

23. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet ?

Probably Mike Rotch since he’s really got me more into watch collecting and I feel has helped me learn more about things that go tick-tock. Also Danny because he’s probably one of the most unique people I “know”, and homeforsummer because he’s made me rethink some of my opinions on various cars.

24. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

A hippo and a human and I would call it Rosie O'Donnell…ehh that’s probably not fair to the hippo is it?

25. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?

Anything from those entertaining Infield threads....you know the ones I'm talking about.

26. What's your favourite video game, currently?

MLB: The Show 13, I have two Road to the Show players plus I’m playing through the franchise mode and playing all 162 games plus playoffs.

27. What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?

All of the “rearviewmirror” greatest hits album by Pearl Jam and the “Greatest Hits” album by Alice in Chains. The two most played songs being “Yellow Ledbetter” and “Rooster”.

28. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey?

I drive a Focus, not a monkey, monkeys oversteer to much for me and their cargo room is pretty awful. Also their bananas per mile isn't very good I hear.

29. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?

I ran one way back in the day. I won’t do it anymore because I honestly can’t stand many of the people who play GT online. If you bump them, even slightly, you’re causing contact and therefore must be worse person in the history of the world. I don’t like being the worse person in the world.

30. Have you ever considered developing your own racing series, and if you have where can we find it?

I haven’t considered one in a long time and now I just don’t think I would have the time to commit to run one.

31. Anything else you'd like to say?

If any of you make it to Western Michigan, let me know, I'll meet up with you and purchase you a beer, the lord knows we have enough of it here.

Nice, very nice interview. I def. liked the "monkey avatar question" (#28) plus very funny answer.
Overall a fine MOTW choice. Congrats, Joey D! :)👍

Last edited:
28. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey?

I drive a Focus, not a monkey, monkeys oversteer to much for me and their cargo room is pretty awful. Also their bananas per mile isn't very good I hear.

:lol: You should see my grin, it's massive, verging on slitting my face from laughter.

Great stuff. 👍

I like question #28 too - good one, Daniel :lol:!

Congratulations, Joey :cheers:.
Four of the questions are ones I made up. Who's really doing the interview here, T-12? :P

Also, what if the next MOTW has a monkey avatar? All hell will break loose!

Nice one, Joey! Good to hear from one of our longest-standing members of the Planet. Also, the greater variety in questions, is much appreciated.

24. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)

A hippo and a human and I would call it Rosie O'Donnell…ehh that’s probably not fair to the hippo is it?

:lol:

Back