Gran Turismo 6 E3 2013, General discussion(Live streaming links).

Well a lot of the time factor would be determined by how hard it is to port existing code over to the new hardware. The more that can be reused the less time it will take. It could be that we see a GT7 release in 2015 on the PS4 with few new features or several new features. It could be that it will be 2016 but I doubt it will take any longer than that.

Then again it is a bit early to even talk about this as we do not have GT6 yet

:odd::confused::boggled: I just had a brain fart :ill: Should have been Dec 2016:guilty:
:lol: We know. It's ok, djood.

Well a lot of the time factor would be determined by how hard it is to port existing code over to the new hardware. The more that can be reused the less time it will take. It could be that we see a GT7 release in 2015 on the PS4 with few new features or several new features. It could be that it will be 2016 but I doubt it will take any longer than that.

Then again it is a bit early to even talk about this as we do not have GT6 yet
It'll be easier than ever from what's been learned.

Who's to say cars are already at full detail? Look closely at interiors and you'll find jagged edges and simple looking textures and details. Same thing for up and close details on some cars like headlights and bumper areas (jagged circles and whatnot). The cars do look very good but with the jump to PS4 they will need even more precision modelling.

If you look at FM5's new models you can see the extreme smoothness in the modelling which is higher than GT5/6's state right now -- as it should be since it's on a higher end console. But there's certainly some room to improve.

Also the tracks... I don't know. I think some tracks look fantastic for the most part, but then you have backgrounds like off-track grass, buildings, walls and trees that look like PS2 quality -- clearly not even up to PS3 standards. On track details like pavement, kerbs, barriers, I think they look great, but overall there are definite areas for improvement.

Most of that is hardware restrictions and not the models themselves. PS3 has very little AA capabilities, which is why textures, especially shadows, are hardly ever smooth in the majority of the games on the system.

I don't know how anyone can say something is of a certain level of quality though...

GT5 is the exception. As Kaz said in the interview, the PS3 is a difficult machine to learn to develop on.

Not only that, but GT5 is the exception because they rebuilt the entire game from scratch, after abandoning their initial plan to build GT5 from GT4 (hence Vision Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo HD)

On a sidenote: people are talking about GT7 already? :rolleyes:. Seriously, wait and enjoy GT6 before talking about GT7!

My take : GT7 - Holiday 2017 - exactly 36 months after GT6 release. DLC for GT6 might be for only 24 months or so after release, with updates up to 30 months.

GT6 isn't even here yet and everyone's speculating on a release date for GT 7?
:confused:
It's due to a "hunch" of a GT6 port to the PS4. It's not like we're being serious about it. The next iteration release dates drifted into the conversation because of a willingness to be open-minded and not being tied down. Again, it wasn't a serious discussion; it can hardly even be classified as a discussion.

That being said, when will Fast and Furious 7 release?

Not only that, but GT5 is the exception because they rebuilt the entire game from scratch, after abandoning their initial plan to build GT5 from GT4 (hence Vision Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo HD)

On a sidenote: people are talking about GT7 already? :rolleyes:. Seriously, wait and enjoy GT6 before talking about GT7!
You two made it go on for the vast length of two pages. Great job! lol

I know, just enjoy the wait and release of GT6

The waiting is terrible.

Was playing Grid2 some minutes ago, yeah, its fun, nice sounds, yea... some time later, got boring.

Then just put the GT5 disc on my PS3, but now I'm thinking: damn, now that I know that GT6 will be so much better, it's weird... :nervous:

The waiting is terrible.

Was playing Grid2 some minutes ago, yeah, its fun, nice sounds, yea... some time later, got boring.

Then just put the GT5 disc on my PS3, but now I'm thinking: damn, now that I know that GT6 will be so much better, it's weird... :nervous:

Don't worry, the GT6 demo is just in 16 days! :)

Another E3 interview (I made a quick search and it seems it was not posted)

http://robotsgonebad.com/2013/06/e3-2013-kazunori-yamauchi-talks-gran-turismo-6/

We sat down and drank tea with Kazunori Yamauchi, creator and producer of the Gran Turismo racing game series, as we discussed about the launch of the upcoming Gran Turismo 6, why he’s making the game on the PlayStation 3 and not the next-gen console. And of course, about the PlayStation 4 as well.

RGB: Yamauchi-san, could you please share with us the game’s development update since the game’s announcement at Silverstone?

Yamauchi: This time during E3 we introduced the new FIA GT3 cars that we’ve added to the game as well as locations such as Willow Springs and the new Gemasolar Solar Power generating facility in Spain. At Silverstone, we introduced the new physics engine and rendering engine. We showed a slight comparison in the trailer at Silverstone but we told everyone then that we will be producing a better representation of what was shown back then. In this trailer that we released in E3, you can see the difference in visual fidelity very clearly.

And in regards to the rendering engine to the game, what we’ve attempted in Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3 is to really bring in the graphics that is equivalent to the PS4. The features like the adaptive tessellation that we introduced in the trailer will be a feature that’s actually a next-generation type of rendering technology but there’s meaning in bringing that into the PS3.

RGB: There were some aspects of social and game sharing in the previous two GT games. Will there be any new or updated social elements added to the upcoming GT6?

Yamauchi: Hmm…it’s something that we can’t really get into much detail yet, but what I can say at this point in time is that there will be more. But, Gran Turismo is not a social game, so we have to be careful in balancing how much social aspects we have in the game. We’ll import what is required for a racing in terms of social interactions.

RGB: Could you please share with us the car roster?

Yamauchi: GT6 will have 200 new cars more than GT5. There are premium cars, but we are not going to differentiate between premium and standard cars anymore when we move on to GT6 because we aim to get rid of all the functional differences between the two. They will now have the same functions. More or less anyway.

RGB: At ChinaJoy last year, you mentioned that you would like to showcase more of the GT series in the China and regional countries. Are there plans to include, say, the Shanghai racing circuit into the game?

Yamauchi: The Hong Kong media asked us of this as well, if the Hong Kong track will return in GT6. But you have to consider the fact that it takes one year for us to create a new track for the game. We can’t commit to a timeframe at this time, although I can share with you that it has been something we would want to do. But we just don’t know when yet.

RGB: Were there any plans to turn GT6 into a PS4 launch title? Because it’s interesting that we’ve seen three GT games (including GT6 now) on the PS3, wouldn’t it makes more sense to develop a GT launch title for the PS4?

Yamauchi: The PS3 already has an install base of 70 million console units around the world, so it makes more sense to release on that platform first and also because there are a lot of users waiting on that platform for the new game. Once the players have actually played the game on the PS3 platform, that would be the timing when the next Gran Turismo would come out. We know we could do more on the PS3 platform and push the limits of the platform to what it is capable of.

RGB: Naturally you are not going to share with us your plans for the PS4

Yamauchi: (Laughs) The PS4 is at the same launch timing as GT6 for the PS3, so obviously we don’t have the time and resources to be making two GT games simultaneously. Of course, we love technology so we are definitely thinking about the PS4. Once our players have played enough of GT6, then we can talk about a GT on the PS4.

Yamauchi: GT6 will have 200 new cars more than GT5. There are premium cars, but we are not going to differentiate between premium and standard cars anymore when we move on to GT6 because we aim to get rid of all the functional differences between the two. They will now have the same functions. More or less anyway.

Interesting... just my opinion, but if the only difference between standard and premium was that of a highly detailed interior then I would be a pretty happy bunny. It would be wonderful to see some of those older models externally rendered in detail :)

I really hope that this doesnt mean that they have mashed standards and premiums together, in the form of - no UCD and no seperate folder in the gagrage. Imagine if there are 1200 cars all in one place with no way of telling if you get an iterior veiw or a black blob until you buy the car and take it to the track.
Also if its the same limit as GT5, 2,000 cars in one long list in your garage is too much, after the first 200 cars you start to forget what you have and why you bought it in the first place.

Also if its the same limit as GT5, 2,000 cars in one long list in your garage is too much, after the first 200 cars you start to forget what you have and why you bought it in the first place.

Isn't that why we had the favourite tab? Worked pretty well for me.

Isn't that why we had the favourite tab? Worked pretty well for me.

Dont want to go into too much detail on this as it might be nothing like the picture I have in my head. The point Im getting at is, how gt5 is atm works pretty well, you want a prem theres a place you go to buy it and it place its stored after, same goes for standards.

So if PD where to remove this system in an attempt to disguise the PS2 cars it will start to get very time consuming sorting the cream from the crap.

To me there all just "games" which if I'm lucky enough I might get to sit down for a few hours with a beer and enjoy on a Friday evening. I'm envious when people say there's not enough content in GT5 and it begs the question, where does anyone find the time to make full use of what they have already?

I believe it has been mentioned earlier that PD have an embargo on certain information at the moment and I'm certain livery/customization falls under it which is why we aren't seeing any questions being asked about it.

I believe it has been mentioned earlier that PD have an embargo on certain information at the moment and I'm certain livery/customization falls under it which is why we aren't seeing any questions being asked about it.

It's probably a likely scenario as there's still Gamescom and TGS to go. Maybe then we'll see new features then.

Hope that livery/decal editor is under embargo (instead of not existing). Gamescom is so far away and I do not dare to put any hopes on news on it as I expected more from E3 than what we've got.

E3 summary:
- a new trailer (looks awesome, but no news regarding features)
- two tracks confirmed (they look great)
- some new cars (awesome e.g. Delta Wing)
- some gameplay videos
- release date for GT Academy/GT6 demo

Last edited:
sneakypete123
I really hope that this doesnt mean that they have mashed standards and premiums together, in the form of - no UCD and no seperate folder in the gagrage. Imagine if there are 1200 cars all in one place with no way of telling if you get an iterior veiw or a black blob until you buy the car and take it to the track.

I personally like this since I hate separating the cars. As it was mentioned previously - I'd be very happy if exterior was detailed. I don't care much about interior, since I don't use it much, it's a nice bonus though.

Same with tracks, I hope they're not gonna separate time/weather changeable track and not changeable tracks. I want one list of cars and one list of tracks. That simple.

The game will look simply more consistent.

Can't do that, must ask about the PS4 version, once again!!!11 :grumpy:

:lol: I know right. You'd think that all these journalists and reporters would know how many times the same question has been asked. Hopefully what Nato_777 said is true.

RGB: There were some aspects of social and game sharing in the previous two GT games. Will there be any new or updated social elements added to the upcoming GT6?

Yamauchi: Hmm…it’s something that we can’t really get into much detail yet, but what I can say at this point in time is that there will be more. But, Gran Turismo is not a social game, so we have to be careful in balancing how much social aspects we have in the game. We’ll import what is required for a racing in terms of social interactions.

That's great question and answer, sounds like he understands there is room for improvement (I take "social interactions" to mean online options / features in this case) but at the same time doesn't want to force unnecessary social features / requirements on us like other forthcoming games are doing.

Back