Official GTPlanet Member of the Fortnight [Member of the Week]

hey all,

thanks again for the member of the week !

Sorry it took so long but i didnt only have the VLN race last weekend but im also racing the german porsche carrera cup this season, hence im quiet tied up with work :)

off to zandvoort for a test day with the carrera cup then 16-18th august, dtm race at nurburgring.

If anyone here on GTP would like to join a race, if you let me know in advance, (better for the 2014 season) then i could arrange some tickets.

thank GTP. love you all :cheers:

Typical work excuses! Stuff like:

"Oh, I was busy risking life and limb driving racing cars."

"Too busy living a dream millions others would give anything for."

"Porsche needed me to do this and that..."

"Internet connection stinks when I have both hands on the wheel while left-foot braking through a 2.50G turn at 260 km/h."

That's just not acceptable! :)

(Actually, from your past posts in the forum, I would have never guessed you were a racing driver, until you mentioned mixing it up with Jean Alesi in a race. Last week, I drove my car on a brick road....pretty good comparison, right?)

hey all,

thanks again for the member of the week !

Sorry it took so long but i didnt only have the VLN race last weekend but im also racing the german porsche carrera cup this season, hence im quiet tied up with work :)

off to zandvoort for a test day with the carrera cup then 16-18th august, dtm race at nurburgring.

If anyone here on GTP would like to join a race, if you let me know in advance, (better for the 2014 season) then i could arrange some tickets.

thank GTP. love you all :cheers:

Depending on how things go for me in the next few months I might be able to.

And great interview.

We're back on schedule with this week's interview and best of all we've crowned another junior that stands out above the rest, welcome mattythedog to the Member of the Week madhouse!

1. First and foremost, you're officially the Member of the Week so what were your thoughts going into this and how does it feel to be recognized amidst the hundreds of thousands of other members here?
I'm honoured! I wasn't expecting to be picked, so it's a nice surprise.
2. What brought you to GTPlanet and what keeps you coming back?
I stumbled onto GTP looking for GT5 car setups I think, and sorta stayed around browsing the GT5 sections. Eventually made an account, and the rest is history. The members and the great discussions that go on keep me coming back- it's almost like having a social life. :dopey:
3. There's a lot to do around the forums so I have to ask: what sub-forums/threads do you frequent most often and why?
I mostly lurk in the Infield; I leave the comedy to those who are blessed with that talent. Sometimes the Rumble Strip, and the F1 threads on race days. Basically, the sane parts of the forums.
4. What was it that sparked your interest in Gran Turismo?
I've always been interested in racing games, and when we got a PS3 GT5 Prologue was advertised so I gave it a go. It was my first GT game, and I became hooked.
5. How did you come up with the name "mattythedog"?
It's a combination of my name, and my love of dogs. At least, that's the most rational explanation. I've used it for internet stuff as long as I can remember, so it was probably something younger me thought was cool.
6. Controversial question time: Gran Turismo, Forza Motorsport or both?
My experiences with Forza have been pretty brief, but the thing that I really like was the car choice, it was way better than GT5. Otherwise, I'm a PlayStation guy, and I have no desire to get a Xbox, so I'll only be playing GT.
7. Because it's finally occurred to me that the question above doesn't allow enough freedom, do you play any other racing games that you perhaps enjoy more than GT or FM?
Yes. GT5 lost my interest about a year ago, and since then I've been pretty solidly playing F1 2011 and now F1 2012, and enjoying them a lot. Also, I enjoyed the MotoGP games (not sure if they count, not really the same thing).
8. What is your favourite car, why, and what do you think that it says about you?
My favourite car seems to change very frequently, but as of now it's an Ariel Atom. I love the madness of the car, and it seems like a great laugh. Not sure it would be practical in a country where it rains most of the time though. :lol: It would imply I like mad and crazy stuff, which is completely the opposite of me. Yeah, I dunno about that one.
9. Mechanical or Membrane keyboard?
Ummm. I have no idea what this means. Let's move on.
10. You've just been sentenced to death. What is your last meal?
Maybe a massive bucket of Spaghetti Bolognaise. I love that stuff. Or maybe some sort of Risotto. That's a hard question really, to pick one meal out of lots. Curse you! :P
11. If you could live in any video game which game would it be and why?
Proteus. That game makes me all mellow when I play it, so living there would be epic. I could chase little frogs all day. And work out a way to catch the magic frog.
12. If you could create your own motorsport series what would it entail?
Something like F1 mixed with endurance racing, except the cars have no restrictions. 12 hour races with mad F1 cars would be a spectacle. And I would always want it to be raining, so I'd host every round in the UK.
13. Tell us something interesting about your hometown.
Well, I live in Croydon, which, as most UK may know, is a bit crap. Kate Moss came from Croydon, that's interesting right? Or a really gripping fact- the Home Office are based here. There are over 100 parks and green spaces. Anyone still awake?
14. How many sheep do you count before finally getting to sleep?
I don't count sheep actually, I can usually get to sleep pretty easily. If I need to distract myself I think up imaginary scenarios in my head. But if you need a number, I'll say 42.
15. Do you have any hobbies we should be made aware of?
I do rowing, which is great fun for half the year. The other half I spend soaked and frozen wishing I did an indoor sport. Otherwise, does the internet count?
16. Are you driving anything special at the moment?
As me driving would be illegal, I can't answer this one. :D
17. What's your favourite video game, currently?
It's a close one between Kerbal Space Program, Minecraft and Prison Architect. Those are the 3 that I come back to again and again. Depends how I feel decides which one I play.
18. What songs have been on repeat for the past few days?
Hall of Fame- The Script
And I Will Kiss (from the Olympic games opeing ceremony)
Silenced By The Night- Keane
19. Why did you choose that avatar, and why is it not a monkey? (Don't ask me, I had nothing to do with this. :lol:)
I chose it because I wanted a car avatar when I created an account, and the F1 popped into my head. I've kept it ever since. It only changes at Christmas when I (well, someone with Photoshop skills) adds some decorations to it. And its not a monkey because a monkey isn't a McLaren F1.
20. Games, how do you like them?

a) Pre-Order, I want them on day one.
b) Sealed at first price drop.
c) Used.
I buy so few games every year that I can afford to buy them new. I don't think I've ever bought a used game, as I get games I want at launch. Or, the various Steam sales usually result in me getting a few things.
21. With the PS4 coming in the holiday season this year, is it the right time to consider moving up to the next generation?
It may be the right time for some, but not for me. With GT6 and F1 2013 both on current gen, I see no reason for me to upgrade as there are no games I want on the PS4. I can wait a year, and get it at a reduced price. Win-win.
22. Manual or automatic?
As a principle I'd say manual, but as I've never driven either I can't really say.
23. Desert island disks - what 3 albums would you take to a desert island?
This is hard, as I'm not a huge music listener, and I rarely like a whole album anyway. So I don't really have an answer. Sorry.
24. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being likely to go to the nut house, how crazy would you rate yourself?
I think I'm pretty normal, however I do have some weird tendencies, so I'd give myself a 3 or 4. Let's say 3.5.
25. Who is your favorite race driver and why?
Jenson Button. Because he's a Brit, and an all round legend. A lot of racing drivers generally, but especially in F1, seem to have very little personality, whereas Jenson is the opposite. It's just a shame he's a little past his prime with a not very good car. At least he won when he did, as I don't think he'll get another chance.
26. Where and when was your very first post here and how does it differ from your posting style used today?
It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It was in the GT5 section, answering a thread titled "Most fun car to drive?"

I've found the jag xj-13, the old one, is really fun. If you have no TC then it is quite tail happy.

Not so happy about the grammar though. That has changed. Otherwise, not much.
27. How many of your controllers have died because of heavy physical abuse whilst playing a PS3 game?
None. Because I play with a wheel. :sly:
28. Have you ever accessed the website during an unusual time and/or place?
In the changing rooms of the Blue Lagoon thermal pools in Iceland. That was pretty bizarre. The top of the Shard in London also comes to mind.
29. What's the longest you've gone without logging onto GTPlanet since joining: Years, months, weeks, days, hours?
Not long. I think at the most it was a week when I've been on holiday to places with no wifi. But no long hiatuses.
30. Who (in your own opinion) is the most inspiring person / people here on GTPlanet?
Right now I'd say Shem. For those that don't know he's biking around China setting a world record. Which I think is a pretty amazing thing to do. I think there's a thread somewhere, so head off to that for more detailed info from him. Anyway, he's sort of showed me that you can do anything, and if you want to do something, just go and do it.
31. If you know who Brendan Fraser is, Bedazzled or The Mummy and why?
After some help from the Googles, I've confirmed what I thought, I've seen neither of those films. So, yeah...
32. Now it's time for the "Daniel Special": If you could cross a hippo with any other animal - what will the animal be, what will it be called, and why? (Bonus points for creativity! And it can't be another hippo because that's incest)
(Just a note, wouldn't it only be incest if the hippos were related? Is all hippo reproduction morally wrong?) I'd combine it with a Duck-Billed Platypus, and it would be called a Duck-Billed Hippopotapus. Mainly because Platypuses are cool, and I think a combo of it and a hippo would be badass.
33. What's the funniest thing you can remember from all of your time being a member here?
Nothing in particular jumps out at me. Maybe some of the piss-taking that goes on in the Infield, I won't mention names as I'm not sure if people want that discussed, but I'm sure premos can guess what I mean. And of course, who could forget our old buddy eminembeastfan with the infamous Camry 2.2? That was epic.
34. Have you ever participated in any of the racing series' found here?
I haven't, no. Mainly because I don't have the freedom with the PS3 to participate, and also I don't think I could commit to a whole series. And I'm not very good. :dopey:
35. Did (do) you have good school achievements and were you always a nice child? Or did you kind of fail at school and terrorized your family? Or something in between?
I do seem to have good school achievements so far, though GCSEs are next year for me and they actually matter, so hopefully I can do well in those. I think I'm a nice kid, I do argue with my parents a bit, but then who didn't? I'm pretty shy, so I prefer to sit back and not really do much.
36. Anything else you'd like to say?
Blimey, there were a lot of questions! Nothing else really, just enjoy your day people!
Bonus Question These two additional inclusions are the brainchild of a staff member and must be answered as if you were a contestant on Jeopardy!, i.e. "What is a Computer?"

B1: Jeffrey Donovan stars in this USA original series currently airing it's final season.

B2: After successfully modifying this Italian sports car Ferruccio Lamborghini decided to pursue a automobile manufacturing business venture.
B1: Err, pass.
B2: What is a Ferrari 250GT?

Chris, can you send me one of those sweet Porsche Motorsports jackets? :D

Good interview. But Judging by how he says "It would be illegal for me to drive" And that he's never driven a Manual or Automatic Car.

He's either not old enough to drive, or he got a DUI on a Bicycle :D

Back