Disturbing quote about Online vs Offline from PD

  • Thread starter Thread starter research
  • 52 comments
  • 7,337 views

research

Premium
Messages
846
United States
Ohio
Messages
ecko_driver81
When speaking about the new online mode, they say it is "In contrast to the offline experience where we provide a scenario that is more about "how we want people to play the game"..

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt6/online/



I understand that the translation from japanese to english is likely the cause of a perceived rude undertone which surely was not meant. But I must say, this is not. good. for those of us who are longing for some sort of offline event creator.

A tough blow, but not a knockout.

(cue Rocky-style training scene)
 
It's hard to understand what they mean... I don't want to think that they've taken GT Mode completely off the game. That would be devastating.

Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly?
 
I don't understand whats disturbing about it?GT Mode (offline) we do pre-made races (how we want people to play the game) in comparison to online where you will have more freedom .If anything this to me means we will have more freedom online and with more freedom an even creator I'd hope.It looks like you just took that out of context by just quoting that part.
 
Well, something is true about this. PD's descriptions are sometimes very confusing.
 
Uhhm... They didn't mention they're REMOVING the offline mode... They're merely saying that they are putting YOU in control of the game when online. You decide on EVERY part of the race.

With GT Mode you have restrictions in every race, there isn't a race restricting something EXACTLY as you want, in fact, not even in Arcade Mode - there were lots of options missing.

I think this is really just saying there will be very few limitations to what you can and can't do/restrict online in GT6.
 
...It looks like you just took that out of context by just quoting that part.


It's pretty clear what they are saying about the Online mode on that page, but I'm speaking on the concern of what we do with the vast content of GT, offline.

'Their way for us to play the game' to date has been very limited, restrictive, and often nonsensical when it comes to the opponent vehicles we face in these races. This has led to low replayability in the A-spec mode races, to put it kindly.

With the proper tools in GT Life, a keen player ;) would be able to mask most of the dreaded flaws of the infamous A.I., not to mention creating those "dream races" kaz waxed on about before GT5's release.

Here's a couple interesting threads that clarify what I'm saying. And if you heard the Rocky music, you know this ain't over! Adriiiieeeeeenne!!


POLL: Would you like to be able to create your own A-Spec Races

Event Creator

GT6 GTmode Race Ideas


Arcade Love ~ the Hitlist and Gamechanger
 
Last edited:
Well, I think GT5 is the only game which you could say that the offline game suffered, especially with the events divvied up in a silly way between A-Spec and B-Spec sides. But even then, the events often made no sense, and sometimes didn't even fit the race venues. American race events held on tracks that were clearly not in America for instance.

I'm betting that they listened to every sensible criticism of the series and our wishlists, and did what they could to make GT6 mostly a dream experience. They have to make it as special as they can, considering the competition is all very good and all next gen, including the PC sims which look fantastic.
 
All I think he's addressing is offline A-Spec, where they set out a specific outline and progression, not other offline components where we already have freedom such as free run. In A-Spec the player plays within PD restraints ie. track, laps, opponents, tires, cars, championship or not etc.. Anything outside of that and specifcally online, they want to give the user more freedom. I don't find it concerning or think it eliminates a chance of event creator. Hopefully, since event creator tools are now there for online they make it available offline.
 
It's hard to understand what they mean... I don't want to think that they've taken GT Mode completely off the game. That would be devastating.

Or maybe I'm not understanding correctly?

I personally couldnt care less about offline mode, i actually hate grinding for cars, i just want to race online with friends, having said that i really dont think there is any reason PD would lose the offline modes for its fans, i know there are plenty of players who love it and if nothing else PD try to make GT the everymans racing game.
 
Unless PD do away with Cr and just make everything unlock able, we still have to grimd to level up and unlock cars. I do hope we can create offline events as in Arcade Mode. For example, 10 race championship with cars I choose for the grid. Like others said, I believe it's more about PD giving users more control.
 
I'm betting that they listened to every sensible criticism of the series and our wishlists, and did what they could to make GT6 mostly a dream experience. They have to make it as special as they can, considering the competition is all very good and all next gen, including the PC sims which look fantastic.

I'm sure PD always tries to make games as best as they can within the development timeframes. I think their problem, as highlighted by the GT5 delays, and the quality of the final product, is that they are mismanaged.

I don't think they can discern between what is sensible criticism and what is not.
 
The only thing I find disturbing is that you're taking a quote that's talking about the online experience and then you're drawing far fetched conclusions about what that means for offline gaming.
 
No eran, their statement is about the new Online. The quote I posted is about how they want us to play GT offline.

Some of you guys are really having trouble discerning my point from your tired pre/misconceptions. There is no missing context, and no far-fetched anything here. I fully understand that many of you love to play GT online, but online players/connections/timing can not, and should not be counted on for the solid racing sim experience.

1200 cars and 30+ tracks could be put to MUCH better use than the debacle that was GT5 A-spec. Just click the links in my second post, and even the most hardcore 'online-only' players would see what we're talking about. You want to know the truth about Polyphony's 'way' for us to play this massive title? Pop in GT5, stroll into the Historic Cup, and watch that 2J racecar scream away from the pack like he never belonged on the grid in the first place. Maybe hit up arcade mode and take your favorite GT500 racecar to Suzuka- oh was that a ferrari and jaguar from the 60's that just passed you? Yeah, don't worry that stuff happens all the time in the motorpsort world.

:ouch:
 
Last edited:
In my opinion, offline games has always been how developers want the players to progress. They spent some time in making the events/levels and provide a fair progression throughout the game. It's nothing different or disturbing to me.

Yes, GT5 is one game where the offline events seemed like a second thought or last minute touch. having played GT1-GT4, I won't judge GT6 by just GT5's lack of execution in the offline events so that doesn't mean this quote you're quoting would imply that GT6 will have a repeat of one of GT5's biggest flaw.

So no, I don't think this quote is either "truth" or an implication of how GT offline will be in the future. There are always silly glitches or flaw in the game. In GT2 for example, there was sometimes a Ford GT40 in a classic cars event that would just destroy everyone, similar to the 2J in GT5. I don't think that's an indication that PD wants us to suffer that way though.
 
No eran, their statement is about the new Online. The quote I posted is about how they want us to play GT offline.

The quote is not about how they want us to play GT offline, although you're trying to make it look like that. The quote says that while PD designed offline events, you will be able to design your own events online. You picked out the while PD designed offline events part and made it look like a big statement on how Polyphony Digital wants to control how you're playing the game offline.

It may be that you (and I) would like to have greater freedom in playing the game offline, but the quote you're using is simply irrelevant to that discussion.
 
Last edited:
^ actually the term you seek is fascism. Fascism and Communism are often confused, as communism contains fascism within it's foundation.

I don't believe that PD really thinks like this- but it would be great to get some clarification from someone at PD (not sony, or PR, or the US 'spokesman') on what this statement means for the single-player offline campaign.
 
No GT life mode. In fact, not a better GT life than GT5, and no way I get GT6
 
lmao looks like a brief description of communism.

Communism means the workers control the means of production. How terrible.
 
Communism means the workers control the means of production. How terrible.

We could make our own cars and tracks! Excellent!
 
Communism means the workers control the means of production. How terrible.
Yes, and utopian idealists never seem to recall how it works out in reality, with millions of deaths. In fact, the utopian idealists are often the first to go because they make inconvenient speed bumps to the dictatorial autocracy. Give me capitalism any day, so I can own my own toothbrush and car, not "the peoples."

Anyhow, this thread is really based on nothing but paranoia. If you really think Kaz enjoys upsetting millions of fans, post away on this, but I think you guys have reached the point of hiding in basements because you heard War Of The Worlds on the radio. ;)
 
Well, I think GT5 is the only game which you could say that the offline game suffered, especially with the events divvied up in a silly way between A-Spec and B-Spec sides. But even then, the events often made no sense, and sometimes didn't even fit the race venues. American race events held on tracks that were clearly not in America for instance.

I'm betting that they listened to every sensible criticism of the series and our wishlists, and did what they could to make GT6 mostly a dream experience. They have to make it as special as they can, considering the competition is all very good and all next gen, including the PC sims which look fantastic.
When they keep releasing "Dream Cars" races on Seasonal Events where they give a good field of GT cars but they keep ruining everything with a rabbit Group C Jaguar I still think they have a long way to go on their logic. I don't know, maybe Japanese people find chase the rabbit races fun, I for one don't.
 
Yes, and utopian idealists never seem to recall how it works out in reality, with millions of deaths. In fact, the utopian idealists are often the first to go because they make inconvenient speed bumps to the dictatorial autocracy. Give me capitalism any day, so I can own my own toothbrush and car, not "the peoples."

Anyhow, this thread is really based on nothing but paranoia. If you really think Kaz enjoys upsetting millions of fans, post away on this, but I think you guys have reached the point of hiding in basements because you heard War Of The Worlds on the radio. ;)

Capitalism requires an unlimited supply of natural resources which to exploit and is therefore unsustainable.

Private property is theft rooted in violence and the threat of violence.

That people don't understand that self-governance requires involvement of the People is not an indictment against an economic system.
 
Oh, I know the arguments communists make. There has always been a finite number of monies lying around, and the mean rich picked them all up; because I have a house, you don't have a house, yadda yadda. Except it isn't true. Then again, that's an argument for another thread. Just don't expect me to accept communist philosophy, because it's not based on real world metrics or truth.

In any case, I'm hoping that the fizzled posts means this nervous thread has run its course and can be laid to rest in the thread graveyard of forgotten topics.
 
Capitalism requires an unlimited supply of natural resources which to exploit and is therefore unsustainable.

Private property is theft rooted in violence and the threat of violence.

False. Capitalism just takes advantage of the cheapest and most readily available natural resource. As that resource becomes limited, the leaders in a particular industry are the ones that are first to shift to a new resource.

Example: There is no shortage of oil right now, so there is not much of a market for alternative fuels. When gas becomes $8 per gallon because we have used up all the oil, the ones who succeed in the energy industry will be the ones that can capitalize on another energy source and bring it to market first.

Communism and socialism require an unlimited supply of falsely generated motivation and innovation, which never occurs, which is why communism and socialism fail over and over again.

You want to talk about personal property? Since this is a car forum, here you go:
If you live in a communist country, you HOPE AND PRAY you can one day afford to buy this:
18124539_8cedb65eb3_z.jpg

just don't expect to be allowed to pick a color.

If you live in a free country with capitalism, ITS UP TO YOU. Bust your ass and be successful, you can have this:
ferrari_enzo-wide-610x381.jpg


If you decide to be a lazy liberal mooch with your hand out your entire life, you'll ride in this:
Kyoto_City_Bus_200_Ka_1519.jpg


Your life is what you make it

offline mode was complete crap in all areas beyond the sunday cup in GT5
 
I concur with what my friend Greyout posted above.
 
As someone who likes online racing, & dislikes offline, the comment is actually quite positive for me. The more options we have to tailor the online racing experience to create a more realistic & immersive experience the better.


:)
 
I really like VBR's attitude on this. GT4 was designed by PD to "make you play it the way we want" too. And I loved the heck out of it. I was and still am in harmony with that approach, I just want it to expand and absorb as much of the automotive world as possible. It really sounds like Kaz and the team have been listening to us for how to build GT6, even to putting together analysis of online gameplay and requests from users on boards like ours here. I'm seriously looking forward to what they're making for us.
 
Back