• 78 comments

Sturdy

Premium
United Kingdom
England
js427
Found this:

T3.com

Anyone able to attend? Probably just another old build I suppose, who're we trying to kid...

Linked T3.com Article
T3 to offer readers an exclusive opportunity to play the long awaited Gran Turismo 5 at a special readers event

The heavily delayed Gran Turismo 5 racing sim is set to make a rare and exclusive appearance at a T3 VIP Reader night at Selfridges in London later this week.

Five years and $60million in the making, Gran Turismo 5 will make its consumer debut following just one previous appearance in the UK. Set to land in the Technology Hall of the London branch of Selfridges this Thursday, October 21st, T3 readers will be able to get behind the wheel of the most anticipated game in history, literally, as the full 3D Gran Turismo 5 racing capsule comes to a UK store for the first time.

Guarantee your spot in the driving seat

If you want to be one of the first in the world to put GT5 through its paces simply email t3@futurenet.com with “Selfridges VIP” as the subject line. Anyone who registers their interest in attending the exclusive event on the Lower Ground Floor of 400 Oxford Street, London, W1A 1AB between 6pm and 9pm this Thursday will be guaranteed entry on the evening.

If bringing you the most coveted game around wasn’t enticing enough, the first 100 guests to attend the T3 VIP reader event and quote the secret pass-phrase “T3 VIP Night” will snag themselves a bumper goodie bag. The first five attendees through the doors will also be rewarded with additional high-end treats.

On the night attendees will also have the opportunity to meet and mingle with the T3 team, try out some of the latest and greatest tech on the market including the recently released T3 iPad app as well as being privy to exclusive product demonstrations and a relaxed shopping experience enhanced by the Selfridges 10 per cent tech discount card that can be found in your December issue of T3 magazine.

Culminating in a Top Gear-esq fastest lap challenge, this event and the opportunity to play Gran Turismo 5 in 3D is one not to be missed. To secure place now email t3@futurenet.com with the subject line “Selfridges VIP”. We look forward to seeing you on the night.

Last edited:
I live in Central London and this place is like a 10 minute bus ride away but I have other things I need to do so unfortunately I can't make it. :(

I'll be there, got my invite today. Gutted I haven't got my MacBook Pro and capture box with me otherwise I would've seriously pushed to get direct feed, 720P footage - could've been a GT Planet exclusive! Ah well. See you down there (whoever's going!)

"Gran Turismo 5 will make its consumer debut following just one previous appearance in the UK" - It depends whether they mean the Playstation Beta or not in this sentence. If they do and it's the same build, no-one will be missing anything by not going...

"Gran Turismo 5 will make its consumer debut following just one previous appearance in the UK" - It depends whether they mean the Playstation Beta or not in this sentence. If they do and it's the same build, no-one will be missing anything by not going...

It is indeed pretty unlikely we're going to get to see anything new, but who knows...

I attended the T3.com GT5 3D Demo in Selfridges tonight, and decided to do a little write-up. For those that don't know, T3 is a gadget magazine and they were running a VIP event for their readers tonight (21st Oct 2010) at the very well known London department store "Selfridges" on Oxford Street. The event was held downstairs on the Lower Ground Floor in the Technology Hall.

GT5_Gamersetup_610_w500.jpg

The invite read "You are amongst the first 300 readers of T3 to respond to our VIP readers' event, as such I am pleased to invite you along to the Selfridges Technology Hall, Lower Ground Floor, 400 Oxford Street, London, W1A 1AB. You're invited to join T3 as we take in everything that the comprehensive technology floor has to offer as well as some exclusive product demonstrations and talks form some of the technology worlds leading brands." (Source). And sure enough, while the queue started forming at 5.30pm in front of the solitary pod, members of the T3 team began to circulate and demonstrate the new Samsung Galaxy Tab, their new iPad T3 magazine app etc.

Of course the main attraction for me and all of you will be the fact that Gran Turismo 5 was being shown off in 3D at the event. Attendees were free to mingle with the staff, each other and explore the technology hall at Selfridges, and the store itself remained open to customers as well. In addition to trying GT5 in 3D, T3.com were also running a small competition that was brought to my attention by Sphinx.

domczt.jpg

"If bringing you the most coveted game around wasn’t enticing enough, the first 100 guests to attend the T3 VIP reader event and quote the secret pass-phrase “T3 VIP Night” will snag themselves a bumper goodie bag. The first five attendees through the doors will also be rewarded with additional high-end treats... readers will be able to get behind the wheel of the most anticipated game in history, literally, as the full 3D Gran Turismo 5 racing capsule comes to a UK store for the first time. In addition, the driver with the fastest lap time on the night will win a copy of Gran Turismo 5!" (Source)

Now, the staff of T3.com were expecting the game to see release early November, and the racing pod they used had a small HMV advertisement on it to that effect, stating November 5th as the official UK release date. Everyone there was aware of the delay, and the demo build T3 had on display is probably nothing new. We only got to see the Top Gear Test Track which the competition was being run on, and a white Audi R8 as the Reasonably Priced Supercar in question ;) T3.com's Luke Johnson seemed to believe it was a pretty substantial demo with numerous tracks and cars available.

The event was due to run between 6pm and 9pm, with the first 5 attendees getting a tech prize, and the first 100 a goodie bag. The goodie bag contained an Aramis cologne sample, Multi-action facewash for men (are they trying to tell us something?), and a twin pair of headphone tidies. After the first 5, I was 4th in line. Free glasses of sparkling wine were handed out to those who were interested. We did have to wait a very long time before the Top Gear-style time trial event actually begun, just before 7pm. The T3 staff remained very patient and good-natured, constantly circulating amongst the attendees demonstrating new gadgets, with interviews being conducted and filmed throughout and an official photographer on hand.

66w6qo.jpg

T3 Interview team

It became clear quite early on that the prize for fastest lap was not only a copy of Gran Turismo 5 when finally released, but also a Logitech DFGT wheel. A truly excellent prize package for such a low-key event. According to the T3 guys, there were only about 9 applicants for invites by Friday.

The first decent laptime on the board was recorded by one of the first five attendees, a 1'18.xxx. There were over 50 people waiting in line for a chance to set a fastest lap in the R8 around the TG Test Track over 2 laps total. Despite being a WRS regular and a long-time Prologue player, I actually couldn't tell for sure if it was being run on Professional physics or standard, but there were no driving aids apart from the driving line, plus it was manual transmission. The pod was one of the same travelling GT5 pods with the Recaro race seat, large PS3 and Logitech DFGT. This particular pod featured a 3DTV and a set of 3D glasses.

Being 4th in line after the lucky five, I had to set my lap quite early. The physics of the AWD Audi R8 were certainly a little different to Prologue but the car still featured noticeable power understeer and some snap oversteer when braking heavily and turning. The grip was considerable though, but I can't comment much on the sound as there was far too much ambient noise. The Top Gear Test Track is obviously very flat and mostly featureless, and I really don't believe it will be particularly conducive to good racing, but it suited the purposes of this competition perfectly.

2ag51uf.jpg

Contestant with 3D specs

As for the 3D element, as soon as the glasses went on it felt incredibly strange. However, after 3 corners I wasn't really noticing the 3D any more and was just focusing on braking points and racing lines. Typical for a GTP WRS regular such as me! My personal opinion is that the 3D element was a trifle gimmicky and truly did not add to the experience for me. The current cost of suitable 3DTVs and glasses means that this is an experience I will have no regrets not pursuing further.

The DFGT pedals meant extreme caution was required not to accidentally rest my left foot on the brake pedal due to the weaker resistance and higher sensitivity compared to my regular G25. My first lap was a 1’19 as I was too cautious, but my second and final lap was on the money, 1’17.433 and the fastest lap so far. Cue a short filmed interview with T3’s reporter Claire, and a 2 hour wait for the remaining 40+ contestants to try and beat the lap! The R8 effortlessly took the famous "Tyres" corner full throttle and required the tiniest dab of brakes for the mighty Follow Through. The penultimate corner was the one that caught most drivers out, sending them well wide before Gambon. This track does have a lot of potential for brilliant nights in with friends!

8x536e.jpg

If Rubens can beat The Stig...

You can clearly see how easy it is to get lost on this track which is so wide with very few landmarks. I don't believe it is a finished specimen as I noticed one contestant drive straight at a small tyre wall and ghost right through it. I also noticed that the grass was far more forgiving than in the GT5 Academy Time Trial Demo at Indianapolis. This made me lean more towards the competition being run on Standard Physics. Also of note, there was no opportunity to get mired deep into the grass off track as many of the Top Gear guests do on their practice laps as invisi-walls are not too far away from the tarmac boundaries of the circuit. It could be seen that some drivers gained laptime advantages by invisi-wall riding, High Speed Ring-style.

As things took a little while to get started, only 27 contestants got an opportunity to set laps in the competition before Selfridges staff had to signal the T3 guys to wrap up the show so the store could close. I had set my lap very early on, was still top of the board with 5 minutes remaining on my 1'17.433 when the drama started. A particularly able driver finally got his turn, having watched many go before him, and was well prepared. He spent the first lap exploring the limits, and on his second lap he fell shy of my time by less than 0.4 seconds! There was a lot of applause and back-slapping, and a few amusing comments made about me having hung around for 3 hours to nearly have it taken away from me 5 mins before the end!

k21q0.jpg

The T3 staff were kind enough to give out free copies of their latest collector's edition magazine to all the contestants who had waited around so patiently to the end of the competition. There was one more 1'17.9xx scare for me before the competition was wrapped up and I was declared the winner.

I was congratulated kindly, had an official photo taken with some of the T3 staff and my details recorded for delivery of the DFGT and GT5 game when available. I was also informed that T3.com should have a very short piece on the event on their site tomorrow (T3.com)with my picture and/or interview, so I very much look forward to that.

Apologies for not recording any videos at the event, but with the display being 3D, and the high ambient sound, we've probably seen enough such GT5 videos that it was not necessary for me to create another.

I must express my considerable gratitude towards the wonderful T3 staff for such a well-run and good-natured event, as well as the Selfridges staff who informed us right at the end that they have secured the 3D GT5 pod until next Friday! If you have a chance, be sure to pop down and see what else the demo has to offer apart from the TG track and the R8 in 3D. My deepest thanks also to Sphinx for offering to send me his invite for the event before I received my own, and bringing it to my attention in the first place. There's a GT5 copy with your name on it!

What is clear from my experience is that Gran Turismo 5 will be worth the wait, even on what was most likely standard physics with a particularly unspectacular car, this Top Gear-esque challenge is just one more facet of what this game can offer.

All the best
Maz

Last edited:
Great write up as always and congratulations on setting the fastest lap :cheers:
It sounds like it was a really nice event.

Good job Maz.
But was it 'really' a challenge for you? G25 exp. for over a year now. D1 Gold member... Of course you did well and deserved it, but I wasn't expecting anything else ;)
Again, good job.👍

Great write up! I'm really looking forward to setting lap times on the Top Gear test track and comparing to the real Stig times. After that I see myself spending days trying to have a lap record with at least one of my favorite cars!

Back