T3.com GT5 3D in Oxford Street, 21st October

• Thread starter Sturdy
  • 78 comments
Hey Maz.....you beat the stig!!!!!!

Stigs time from topgear powerboard
26. 1:21.6 - Audi R8 V10 (damp)

Your time would have put you 4th on the board between the ascari and the konisegg

Well done Maz, and thank you for the excellent write up. 👍

I applaud your ability to produce a competitive hot lap so early in the competition, and in front of a crowd of fellow competitors. It's a lot easier to chase a hot lap than it is to set one early on, that's for sure. Well done for holding your nerve on that 2nd lap.

Very well deserved. 👍

Sphinx.

Great write up Mazmate,and many congrats on your victory...👍👍👍

I thought you were sitting on a sunny island somewere,but see you decided not to go and stay home for this... :sly: ..... :lol:

Are you going to keep the DFGT?...

spy.

Once again Thank You and well done on the win.

Would like to read more of your comments on the 3D or in general what players conceptions were even though this wasnt final build.

Oh btw we have a new Stig, Top gear will be in touch :)

Great read Maz and congratulations on your win. Not bad for a few minutes work! 👍

It would've been fun to be there with you although we'd probably have ended up with identical times or something! :scared: :)

That's not great Maz, that's EPIC! Get there, be one of the first to do the laps, and immediately setting a time no other could match for hours!

Congratulations! 👍

Congrats to you Maz and thanks for taking time to produce the write-up! :)

It's a shame that the R8 time is way ahead of the real-life Stig time, but you mentioned you didn't know what the physics settings were. Any idea what tyres were fitted?

hi, how long will this be in the selfridges place in oxford street? Im free all next week so I might be going there to check it out. also, how long do u get to play gt5 and was it busy?

Good job Maz.
But was it 'really' a challenge for you? G25 exp. for over a year now. D1 Gold member... Of course you did well and deserved it, but I wasn't expecting anything else ;)
Again, good job.👍

Considering that only about 30 people got the opportunity to set a representative laptime, I did feel I had a good chance. However it had little to do with Division 1 status or anything like that, because trust me when you sit down in front of an audience and you have to produce immediately, the limbs go a bit wobbly :lol: I think the more significant factor is that I never stopped playing GT5:Prologue regularly, and those that did well are probably in the same position 👍

Excellent write-up, you verbose git :cheers:

Great skills winning and all but you're still a jammy git ;)

A jammy verbose git, then? :D

Hey Maz.....you beat the stig!!!!!!

Stigs time from topgear powerboard
26. 1:21.6 - Audi R8 V10 (damp)

Your time would have put you 4th on the board between the ascari and the konisegg

I think it's this fact mostly that makes me think it was a standard physics time trial, as with a few more laps there was probably 2 seconds more to be shaved off. Pro physics would have introduced more understeer and less grip generally. That's been my experience with Prologue, certainly.

Well done Maz, and thank you for the excellent write up. 👍

I applaud your ability to produce a competitive hot lap so early in the competition, and in front of a crowd of fellow competitors. It's a lot easier to chase a hot lap than it is to set one early on, that's for sure. Well done for holding your nerve on that 2nd lap.

Very well deserved. 👍

Sphinx.

Thanks Jerry, I wouldn't have had a clue about this event were it nor for you. I'm just disappointed I couldn't get you a T-shirt :D

There was one guy who right at the end managed a 1'17.9 with a solitary lap, but did invisi-wall bouce the last 2 corners. It was mighty impressive though 👍

Great write up Mazmate,and many congrats on your victory...👍👍👍

I thought you were sitting on a sunny island somewere,but see you decided not to go and stay home for this... :sly: ..... :lol:

Are you going to keep the DFGT?...

spy.

I am leaving for the sunny island tonight Superspy :lol: I think I'll give the DFGT as a present to a friend who bought a PS3 with Prologue not too long ago.

Once again Thank You and well done on the win.

Would like to read more of your comments on the 3D or in general what players conceptions were even though this wasnt final build.

Oh btw we have a new Stig, Top gear will be in touch :)

As you can see in the T3.com review of the GT5 demo, they, like me felt the 3D was underwhelming. Maybe it was because my focus was on the competition for 2 fast laps, but after a few corners I didn't notice the 3D any more. Also, you have to keep in mind there were no other cars on track, and apart from a few cones and tyre walls, there was little to be impressed by at the TG test track. All of that aside, I was not at all blown away by the 3D experience, and from what I saw of all the other contestants they weren't blown away either. It wouldn't add to my experience of Gran Turismo so far.

Great read Maz and congratulations on your win. Not bad for a few minutes work! 👍

It would've been fun to be there with you although we'd probably have ended up with identical times or something! :scared: :)

:lol: And they would have given you the prize! And just like last time you would have deserved it too 👍

Congrats!!!

Would say that there is a clear improvement over GT5 Prologue physics?

The GT Academy GT5 time trial demo and even this tiny snippet of GT5 exhibited a very certain feel during throttle lift-off and at the limit of grip. That is a noticeable improvement over Prologue physics, the clearer indication of when you reach the limits of grip.

Congrats to you Maz and thanks for taking time to produce the write-up! :)

It's a shame that the R8 time is way ahead of the real-life Stig time, but you mentioned you didn't know what the physics settings were. Any idea what tyres were fitted?

Almost certainly S-tyres, and more than likely the default S2 👍

hi, how long will this be in the selfridges place in oxford street? Im free all next week so I might be going there to check it out. also, how long do u get to play gt5 and was it busy?

It was busy because it was the night of the competition, and therefore sadly a number of your questions won't be answerable by last night's conditions of play. Today will be the first real indication of how busy the regular non-competition Technology Hall will be. If you have a read of the write-up, you'll see it's potentially there until next Friday.

EDK
Well done, Maz. 👍

I knew you were D1 Gold Material. :sly:

:cheers: Thank you for the recognition, and to everyone for the kind congratulations :gtpflag:

T3.com review. Interesting read.

Gran Turismo 5 3D: Hands-on first impressions review

http://www.t3.com/reviews/gaming/games/gran-turismo-5-3d-hands-on-first-impressions-review

I hope they do add a separate article on the site for the competition too 👍

All the best
Maz

Here we go:

Gran Turismo 5 reviewed by T3 readers at UK exclusive

Taking top honours in this highly competitive and action packed competition was Maziar Shahsafdari, pictured with T3's Kieran Alger and Luke Peters, whose early lap of 1 minute 17.433 seconds narrowly secured him the fastest lap of the famous Top Gear facility.

“I must express my considerable gratitude towards the wonderful T3 staff for such a well-run and good-natured event, as well as the Selfridges staff” Maz wrote on the Gran Turismo forum GTPlanet following his victory.

GT5_LapWinner_610_w500.jpg

Read more at T3.com:
http://www.t3.com/news/gran-turismo-5-reviewed-by-t3-readers-at-uk-exclusive?=50239

Interesting that Chicago would take so many out, when it seems to be Gambon in real life.

They should have had a scoreboard with magnetic strips on it, a la TG.

Great driving Maz 👍

Also thanks for confirming that 3d more gimmick than anything else 👍

2D works for me; when we actually have GT5 in our hotly anticipating hands :)

Back