T3.com GT5 3D in Oxford Street, 21st October

• Thread starter Sturdy
  • 78 comments
Congrats, I would imagine that sitting down to a new track and physics system, on top of being one of the first to go was not easy. Nice prizes for a small event like this!

Few days ago Div 1 Gold, now this great achievement, you're getting the platinum path MazStig :D , congrats mate. 👍 👍 👍

I totally agree with you Maz, the 3-D only gets in the way and does nothing for the game. I tried it at PAX last month and requested they turned it off for me. Too bad the long delay from March was all for nothing!

Jerome

Congrats on the winning. If only the physics were on professional and the car was a Ford GT, then all the contestants would be doomed!

Hey guys I just got back from playing the Demo. They have a number of tracks available to play and a nice selection of cars.

I think its the same build as E3 or TGS so nothing new.

My first thoughts were that the 3D was really underwhelming and if anything just made the game feel a bit dark. I first hit the road with the Audi R8 on the Top Gear Test Track with professional physics on and S3 tyres. I first had an issue with pressing the brake and accelerator at the same time but thats besides to point. Once I got used to that slight technical hitch I started to race.

Physics:
I found it very hard to adjust to the updated physics, I had major problems with understeer. Under heavy braking the car tended to spin with any slight touch of the steering (probably just a byproduct of me being crap).

Graphics:
The 3D was unimpressive as previously mentioned, it was just dark and I barely noticed the 3D. Other than that I was very impressed, it was a very smooth ride with no drops in frame rate.

Sound:
sounded similar to GT5P.

There isn't much to photograph or video as its in 3D but I will try to have a little mission down there again before it goes and get some more detailed info. I felt a bit awkward sitting there as people watched me flicking through the menus so I just went straight into racing. I'll aim for a time when its not very busy, although saying that there was no queue when I got there and only about 4 people turned up. So if your in the area I highly recommend heading down there for a quick spin.

If your looking to have any questions answered down there don't bother. Whilst I was there the game froze on a replay and the Selfridges staff seemed scared of the hardware, the guy struggle to restart the PS3. I ended up being the expert on hand helping people that thought they were racing when in-fact they were watching a replay, I must say I didn't help straight away I was dying with laughter inside.

Last edited:
Hey guys I just got back from playing the Demo. They have a number of tracks available to play and a nice selection of cars.

I think its the same build as E3 or TGS so nothing new.

My first thoughts were that the 3D was really underwhelming and if anything just made the game feel a bit dark. I first hit the road with the Audi R8 on the Top Gear Test Track with professional physics on and S3 tyres. I first had an issue with pressing the brake and accelerator at the same time but thats besides to point. Once I got used to that slight technical hitch I started to race.

Physics:
I found it very hard to adjust to the updated physics, I had major problems with understeer. Under heavy braking the car tended to spin with any slight touch of the steering (probably just a byproduct of me being crap).

Graphics:
The 3D was unimpressive as previously mentioned, it was just dark and I barely noticed the 3D. Other than that I was very impressed, it was a very smooth ride with no drops in frame rate.

Sound:
sounded similar to GT5P.

There isn't much to photograph or video as its in 3D but I will try to have a little mission down there again before it goes and get some more detailed info. I felt a bit awkward sitting there as people watched me flicking through the menus so I just went straight into racing. I'll aim for a time when its not very busy, although saying that there was no queue when I got there and only about 4 people turned up. So if your in the area I highly recommend heading down there for a quick spin.

If your looking to have any questions answered down there don't bother. Whilst I was there the game froze on a replay and the Selfridges staff seemed scared of the hardware, the guy struggle to restart the PS3. I ended up being the expert on hand helping people that thought they were racing when in-fact they were watching a replay, I must say I didn't help straight away I was dying with laughter inside.

Thanks for that, SgtWhitten. 👍
If you can manage to go back, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 3D aspect, in race, and using a different track. 👍

Before you guys crack on 3D maybe you should recognize the TV's their running on. Not the best of Sony TV's I might add. And these aren't NEW Sony 3D TV's. They've been out for quite a while now, and 3D is still in it's infancy. With time passing by, when GT5 is here 3D will probably be a lot better. The TV's make all the difference. I'm betting they just set these things up and probably didn't calibrate the TV's to look the best they could. From what I've heard, 3DTV's of the newer variant are very nice. Perhaps with a new Sony TV and the finished GT5 game, 3D would look better

Before you guys crack on 3D maybe you should recognize the TV's their running on. Not the best of Sony TV's I might add. And these aren't NEW Sony 3D TV's. They've been out for quite a while now, and 3D is still in it's infancy. With time passing by, when GT5 is here 3D will probably be a lot better. The TV's make all the difference. I'm betting they just set these things up and probably didn't calibrate the TV's to look the best they could. From what I've heard, 3DTV's of the newer variant are very nice. Perhaps with a new Sony TV and the finished GT5 game, 3D would look better

That is very true, I have seen a few 3D tv's and some have really impressed me and I thought they would look great with GT5. I still think that 3D won't impact the game much as you get absorbed into hitting you braking spot and clipping the apex. This just leaves the 3D to disappear into the background.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure 3D will look amazing! if your just watching the game but playing it... I'm not convinced.

Thanks for that, SgtWhitten. 👍
If you can manage to go back, I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on the 3D aspect, in race, and using a different track. 👍

I will go over the game with a magnifying glass next time and pick out all the little problems I can. I just feel like a mega nerd hanging out in the basement of Selfridges staring at a game. It's just not the same as hanging out in my living room in my boxers with a cool alcoholic beverage playing GT5P.:lol:

A great summary of events for a very exciting evening Maz. Congratulations on your win by the way!

I was 'number 1' on the checklist, I think you were couple behind me so I didn't get to see your lap (I felt my GF had been very patient waiting around for two hours for me to have my go, so didn't want to push my luck by hanging around too much longer).

It was refreshing to see so many GT fans of a similar age group, which has FINALLY convinced my girlfriend, who witnessed events, that the PS3 is not just for children. This was certainly a pivotal moment for me and my PS3 which will retain it's position in the lounge for some time, hopefully.

Some of the guys tried to persuade her to have a go, but luckily she didn't else some of the fans towards the back of the queue may have missed a go. Also, I think she was a little intoxicated following the steady flow of champagne and would have taken an eternity to complete a single lap. In hindsight, this could have been quite amusing to watch, assuming you weren't still queuing :)

I though the circuit looked very authentic, although I agree that the the 3D aspect of the game didn't really impress. In fact, if I hadn't have known it was 3D, the effect would have gone unnoticed. I think the reason for this is that the Top Gear circuit is quite sparse, flat, and with very little background detail by way of scenery - put simply, it's very much grass and asphalt with the occasional 'Jumbo' in the distant background, so not much 'close-up' scenery to take advantage of the 3D effects.

The handling model felt good, and I think the stand was set up for professional physics judging by the kick-back some of the guys were getting from over-correcting over-steer. It seemed to be quite unforgiving, which is how it should be and makes for a much more realistic experience.

It's a pity the volume was low and the ambient noise was high as this resulted in having to take your eyes of the road to check the rev counter for gear shifting.

I thoroughly enjoyed my laps and think I could have nailed a 1.16 if I hadn't have been caught out by Bacharach Bend which was much tighter than I had expected. Unfortunately, my over-eagerness caused me to clip the grass on the exit on each of the laps which resulted in a best 'red' lap time of 1.19, which didn't count :(

As it turned out, I think a lap time of 1.13 / 1.14 was probably about the best that could be achieved with practice.

In summary, it was fantastic to get a glimpse of GT5, meet other GT fans and i'm revved up for release which will hopefully be very soon.

Time to put in some more practice on Prologue and purchase a new wheel!

advent

I might be going on Monday or Tuesday to have a go on the game and hopefully ill be the only one there so I could play it longer :):)

I went there today and I have got to say the game is the best ever.

The physics, graphics, load times, tracks and everything else was great.
I was at the nurburgring nordschleife with the Nissan racecar (dont know what its called, but its the one with the advertisements and various graphics on it). Anyway, I was using pro physics with traction control on to 10 (only because it was my first time on the nurb). I played for about 2 laps which is very long at my average time of 9 minutes per lap. Also the 3D was active on the TV but the glasses were not working, because it may have ran out of battery.
The game was great, hope it gets released soon.

Hey Maz.....you beat the stig!!!!!!

Stigs time from topgear powerboard
26. 1:21.6 - Audi R8 V10 (damp)

Your time would have put you 4th on the board between the ascari and the konisegg

I believe Stig's lap was done with standing start which I don't think applies at this event (a 2 lapper and I'm not sure even if it's a 1st lap standing start). And the tires are definitely not stock (Maz though it was S2 whereas a stock R8 would be closer to N3 or the most S1) and the physics is probably Standard.

I went there today and I have got to say the game is the best ever.

The physics, graphics, load times, tracks and everything else was great.
I was at the nurburgring nordschleife with the Nissan racecar (dont know what its called, but its the one with the advertisements and various graphics on it). Anyway, I was using pro physics with traction control on to 10 (only because it was my first time on the nurb). I played for about 2 laps which is very long at my average time of 9 minutes per lap. Also the 3D was active on the TV but the glasses were not working, because it may have ran out of battery.
The game was great, hope it gets released soon.

Was there today, a sony rep managed to get them glasses working, it was cool, playing in 3d but at the same time a bit distracting..

As things took a little while to get started, only 27 contestants got an opportunity to set laps in the competition before Selfridges staff had to signal the T3 guys to wrap up the show so the store could close. I had set my lap very early on, was still top of the board with 5 minutes remaining on my 1'17.433 when the drama started. A particularly able driver finally got his turn, having watched many go before him, and was well prepared. He spent the first lap exploring the limits, and on his second lap he fell shy of my time by less than 0.4 seconds! There was a lot of applause and back-slapping, and a few amusing comments made about me having hung around for 3 hours to nearly have it taken away from me 5 mins before the end!

I *think* that was me... If you're referring to the guy that shook your hand to congratulate you at the end, that was me. Well played :)

I was the second to last guy on and only got one lap (should have turned up earlier). First time using GT in about two years and it just brought back that heart pounding, heightened concentration and pure pleasure that GT brings. But to be honest, all I did was follow the track line as best I could and break when it told me...

As I left, I was sure (well... hopeful!) that one more lap and I would have beaten your time as I broke through the follow through and screwed up the last two corners. And I was even more gutted when I saw that you won the steering wheel as well! I'll have to pay for mine ;)

But I have to congratulate you - well done :)

I *think* that was me... If you're referring to the guy that shook your hand to congratulate you at the end, that was me. Well played :)

I was the second to last guy on and only got one lap (should have turned up earlier). First time using GT in about two years and it just brought back that heart pounding, heightened concentration and pure pleasure that GT brings. But to be honest, all I did was follow the track line as best I could and break when it told me...

As I left, I was sure (well... hopeful!) that one more lap and I would have beaten your time as I broke through the follow through and screwed up the last two corners. And I was even more gutted when I saw that you won the steering wheel as well! I'll have to pay for mine ;)

But I have to congratulate you - well done :)

Many thanks mate, was a tough situation to sit down and perform with one lap, and you did superbly well 👍 I was actually referring to a guy who did have two laps, I think he was the second-last person to get the full 2-lap allowance. I think he posted on the T3.com facebook page that he should have won apart from a mistake on his second lap...but then again by making a mistake you can't really say you "should" win ;) It was very much about performing when it mattered, which you clearly did as well.

I also tapped the brake at the follow-through, and after a whole night of watching people through it, on second glance I should have gone through full chat, and been a bit bolder on the brakes into Chicago and Gambon. I too would have loved another lap :cheers:

EDIT: And a very warm welcome to GTPlanet :gtpflag:

All the best
Maz

Latest Posts

Back