Top Gear Challenge 1: Make a Avantime go faster than a Evo X

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 89 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
Hello and welcome to the first of what I hope will be many Top gear related challenges that I will run.

Here is the first

The Renault Avantime Challenge

Here is the top gear episode so you can get the gist of the challenge.

However I have done a brief test run and found out that the times in gt5 are not the same as they are in real life so I have modified the target time too.

The idea is to get the renault avantime to achieve this time while spending as little money as possible.

Buy the Renault from the used car dealer for around 45,000 when it comes around and test it out from the practise section on gtlife.

All laps have to be from a standing start.

Full tuning options are open to be used, take note of how much you spend and on what please include the price of the initial oil change in this aswell.

I would ask you to please save the replay of your fastest lap just incase of any allegations of foul play. Also if I need to you would need to be willing to gift the car to me (I will send it back as soon as the checks are done) to check that your tally of cost is right to what you have said. I hope i don't have to do this however I reserve the right to ask for this if there is a dissagreement.

Hope many people join this challenge and lets have fun.

Thank you
Luke

Last edited:
Great idea, but what about all the assists, shouldn't there be rules for those?

Your choice, you can use assists however with a car this low powered you shouldn't have much trouble controlling it, from my experiance assists make you slower.

Right, i finally spotted an Avantime in my Used Car Lot, bought it and before i begun the challenge, i rebuilt the engine and oil [15,750Cr used on car already]. no aerodynamic upgrades as of yet. will update this post when i complete a few runs on the track, with all aids off except 1 in ABS, wish me luck :D EDIT 1: Time Update

1st Time Attepmt: 1:36.707 ~ 16-17 seconds behind target time
I managed a fairly decent run, however i slightly messed up on Hammerhead and Bacarach [also known as the 2nd-to-last corner :P] causing some seconds to add up, but i think it might be possible to beat the target time with some extra tuning. EDIT 2: Weight Reduction stage 1 + Racing Air Filter added to car [15,750Cr + (5,450Cr from recent upgrades) = 21,200Cr used on car]. Going to attempt another time shortly :)

2nd Time Attempt: 1:33.847 ~ 13-14 seconds behind target time
A better run, really felt a lot faster, but i messed up badly on the Follow-through. hopefully the next set of tuning will help it be faster and tighter around the bends.
EDIT 3: Additional Tuning applied: Twin Plate Clutch [2,500] + Exhaust: Catalytic Converter [500] + Height-Adjustable Suspension [4,500] = 7,500Cr [+ 21,200Cr already used = 28,700Cr total used on car] Height of car has been lowered by 5mm on both ends, same with the Camber becoming -1 on both ends of the car to help with cornering. and Brake Balancing has been turned to 7 [Front] and 6 [Rear] for hopefully better braking power. Going to try it out now.

3rd Time Attempt: 1:32.679 ~ 12-13 seconds behind target time
Barely any different to the time made by these changes, although i did take Hammerhead much better and made follow-through as good as i possibly could, it still only made a 1 second decrease in time, which sucks :ouch:

Last edited:
Your choice, you can use assists however with a car this low powered you shouldn't have much trouble controlling it, from my experiance assists make you slower.

Skid recovery will give you an extra second or so.

Slap some racing hards on there (What I would call a comparable tyre to what the show used..they used the semi slick Toyos or yokos)

AWESOME challenge!!!

Just yesterday I bought an Lotus Esprit to try to go 200mph like they did on the show,
it's maxed out 240 ish (383km/h exactly) so that's an easy challenge, but it could be a cost challenge. anyway I'll keep a lookout for the Renault.

Check my previous post for the last updates, the newest updates on my quest shall appear in this post.

Right, to continue on with this very worthy challenge of insane proportions, i have added the 2nd Weight Reduction package [10,000Cr], Semi-Racing Flywheel [1,500Cr] and buying a set of Sports Soft tyres [8,000Cr], still trying to keep it at street-legal as possible. An added element of challenge ive given myself, just for the sake of doing so. The maths of extra tuning parts cost are as follows: 28,700Cr used previously + 19,500Cr from recent upgrades = 48,200Cr total, More than the car's cost now! :scared:

EDIT: 4th Time Attempt: 1:27.569 ~ 2-3 Seconds behind target time
a HUGE increase in time from any previous attempts, getting close to the tartet time already, which is fantastic! 👍

Righty-o then, Added a new ECU Chip [1,000Cr] and stage 1 engine tuning [2,500Cr] to the car. hoping to cut the "time" from the "Avantime" and hopefully beat this target!
[48,200Cr + 3,500Cr = 51,700 Total Cr used on Tuning Upgrades] Time will be added after 9PM GMT, since TopGear will be on the TV very soon, better get the popcorn ready :lol:

EDIT 5: TopGear was absolutely hilarious as the end, i wont spoil it for anyone so you can find out yourself, but my goodness was it one of the best episodes they have ever done! In other news, my 5th Time Attempt was 1:25.742 which is astonishingly close to the target now!

FINAL EDIT: And with a bit of persistance with the car, i had managed a 1:24.475 time! i had finally completed this suprisingly tough and addicting challenge, but i made it through and prevailed! :D

Last edited:
We have all seen this challenge on Top Gear BBC as seen in this link.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-renault-avantime_199780.htm

I would like to redo this challenge in GT5 and see what is everyone else's best time.

For reference a completely stock Evo X fresh from the dealership with no tuning netted a time of 1:21.727 with only ABS 1 on, everything else is off.

Rules:
-Renault Avantime '02
-Can only spend up to 15000 Cr on mods
-List your mods
-List your best time
-Picture proof welcome

This is my setup.
4500 Cr-Sports Height-Adjustable Suspension
8000 Cr-Soft Sports Tires
1000 Cr-ECU tuning
1500 Cr-Sports Exhaust
--------------------------------------------
15000 Cr total spent
Spec:
238HP 1741kg

Best Time: 1:23.974
17723760.jpg

68854509.jpg

Last edited:
Neat idea, are you using any assists at all? We could also do it with a standing start like they do on the show using the online lobby.

I'll probably give this a go tomorrow and see what happens!

TCS off, SRF off, 1 ABS
Your best time must not be a red colored time because that means you cutted corners on the track by riding over apex's and going pass boundaries. Posted white colored lap times on the listing are the legit times as seen in the second picture.

Haha, nice! That was a pretty funny episode. I'll have to give this a shot myself.

One of these days, I'm gonna get around to another project of mine: trying to beat/match the Stig's times in various cars he's driven around the track.

Stock Evo X time is posted. 1:21.727. Let see if anyone can make a Renault Avantime go faster than that time with only 15000 Cr to spend on modding and tuning. I might try adding a spoiler just like the guys did in Top Gear but then i would have to take the sports exhaust off to get 1500 Cr back and spend 1000 Cr on the spoiler and 500 Cr on a Catalytic Converter mod.

Interesting, but I have to find the avantime first lol, it is really really rare.

But I don't think 15000 will be enough, the set of slicks they used in the show probably cost 13000 in GT5 already.

I made this exact same thread a couple of weeks ago, i'll sure have a go
at this.

argh, i keep seeing the Avantime in UCD but never buy it, next time it comes up ill get in on this.

going to be annoying with the non-removable engine tuning and weight reduction when looking for a winning combination though.

Was going to try this but how did you get 238HP on yours with just ECU tuning and a Sports Exhaust? Would get me to 227HP on my own Avantime and I already did oil change. And another question, should this also be included in the budget? It's no standard oil and increases power of the car.

Also sucks that removing weight from the car costs money. On Top Gear they just removed the heavy seats themselves so that costed them nothing. :P

nice evo X with a 1.21,727 lap time!

i'm in, posting my times tomorrow

edit:
Avantime, Y U NO SHOW IN USED LIST!

Last edited:
Back