Moose Knuckle Tuning *latest tunes: BMW M3 Coupe and Toyota MR2 1600 G

• Thread starter sanmusa
  • 87 comments
Germany
Ansbach
GTP_sanmusa74

moose-knuckle_design.jpg

Moose Knuckle was started in the deep frozen confines of the Alaskan Interior. Fueled by nothing more than a desire to stay indoors when the temps were ridiculously cold outside, we started tuning cars. After a one year hiatus, Moose Knuckle has moved to the German Countryside, where the air is warmer but stinkier as the potato farmers love to crap on their fields.

We are now fed a steady diet of sauerkraut, schnitzel, spätzele and beer. When we're sober we go out and flog our vehicles.

This is Moose Knuckle Tuning!

Moose%20Knuckle%20Tuning.jpg

Published Tunes:

Lexus LFA '10 "Black Monster"

Honda Civic Type R (EK) RM '97 "Red Banzai"

Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst R (FD) ‘01 "Snow White"

Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) ‘07 "Aquilante"

Ruf RGT '00 "Ferdinand"

Ruf BTR '86 "Alois"

Lamborghini Miura P400 Bertone Prototype cn.0706 '67 "Porco Rosso"

Nissan Bluebird 1600 Deluxe (510) '68 "Irie"

Ruf CTR2 '96 "Silver Fox"

Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07 "Feeling Blue"

Plymouth Superbird "The Word"

Nissan 240RS Rally Car '85 "Dusty"

Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 '85 "Mopshi" 400 PP car

Lexus Weds Sport IS350 (Super GT) '08 "Gingawa"

Ruf RGT '00 "Tweety" 500 PP Champion

BMW M3 Coupe '07 "Bloody Mary"

Toyota MR2 1600 G '86 "Barney"

Tunes in process
Peugeot 205 Rally Car '99
RUF 3400S '00

Future tunes:
Ruf CTR Yellow Bird '87
Lotus Elise 111R RM '04
Nissan Calsonic GT-R '08
Ferrari F40 '92
Volkswagen Golf GTi RM '01
Toyota FT-86 Concept '09
... and much more

Updates:
28 Feb 2011 - Moose Knuckle Tuning opened
01 Mar 2011 - Lexus LFA, tune added
02 Mar 2011 - Honda Civic Type R RM, two tunes added
02 Mar 2011 - Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst, tune for RX-7 Bonus Race 2
02 Mar 2011 - Nissan Z Version S '07, tune for Nissan Fairlady Z Bonus Race
02 Mar 2011 - Updated Lexus LFA with snowylilmonster's lap times
03 Mar 2011 - Ruf RGT, tune added
05 Mar 2011 - Ruf BTR, tune added
06 Mar 2011 - Lamborghini Miura, tune added
06 Mar 2011 - Nissan Bluebird 510, tune added
29 Mar 2011 - Ruf CTR2, tune added
26 Feb 2012 - Ferrari 430 Scuderia, tune added
26 Feb 2012 - Plymouth Superbird, tune added
03 Mar 2012 - Nissan 240RS Rally Car, tune added
04 Mar 2012 - Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 and Lexus Weds Sport IS350, tune added
05 Mar 2012 - Ruf RGT 500PP car, tune added
11 Mar 2012 - BMW M3 Coupe and Toyota MR2 1600 G, tune added

Stay posted for more tunes.

Last edited:
Lexus LFA ‘10
Black Monster

Kyoto%20-%20Shoren-in_2.jpg

Parts Installed
Oil change
Weight reduction stage 1
Window weight reduction
Titanium racing exhaust
Sport soft tires
Fully customizable LSD
Racing Transmission
Fully customizable suspension

Suspension Settings
Ride height: -9/-5
Spring rate: 11.4/10.5
Damper extension: 6/8
Damper Compression: 6/6
Anti-roll bars: 3/2
Camber: 2.1/2.6
Toe: -0.10/0.20

Transmission settings
Top speed: 205 mph

LSD Settings
Initial: --/20
Acceleration: --/40
Braking: --/20

Brake Settings
Front: 5
Rear: 4

Specifications
Max power: 583 hp @ 8800 rpm
Max torque: 360 ftlb @7300 rpm
Weight: 1351 kg
Weight/power: 2.32 kg/hp
Performance points: 491

Deep%20Forest%20Raceway_5.jpg

The LFA is Lexus’ new halo car. It’s a beast with a 4.8 liter V10 engine that revs to 9000 rpm. This setup attempts to improve on something that is already excellent, pushing the envelope a bit further, turning this Japanese super car into a 583 hp slot car.

Lap times
Deep Forest Raceway: 1:24.830 by sanmusa
Deep Forest Raceway: 1:17.550 by snowylilmonster
Nurburgring Nordschleife: 7:44.295 by sanmusa
Nurburgring Nordschleife: 7:24.975 by snowylilmonster

N%C3%BCrburgring%20Nordschleife.jpg

Last edited:
I'm loving it man, mad respect to the moose, or meese, whichever you prefer. and I'd love to see what you could do to a 430 Scud for PP600 class. i'm having a little trouble on Sports Softs. just saying though.. and that LFA is a fun car man. good work on that.

I completely forgot to write down the PP for the LFA. I'll be updating it later tonight. I also need to check what I have for PP600 cars... tuned F40? 330 P4? Calsonic GT-R 08? Ruf CTR? I'll see.

Update: I added the PP for the LFA and went through my cars and got some PP600 cars. I'll be tuning those.

Last edited:
Honda Civic Type R (EK) RM '97
Red Banzai

N%C3%BCrburgring%20Nordschleife_1%20%282%29.jpg

Parts Installed
Oil change
Racing modification
Chassis reinforcement
ECU tuning
Sports intake manifold
Racing air filter
Sports exhaust manifold
Titanium racing exhaust
Sports catalytic converter
Mid rpm turbo kit
Fully customizable transmission
Semi racing flywheel
Fully customizable LSD
Racing medium tires
(basically everything there is for the Civic RM...)

I am providing here two different tunes for the Civic RM: Fast and Loose and Tight and Precise.

Fast and Loose:This tune is good for wide race tracks, as the car feels more loose. Try it at Deep Forest, Suzuka, Fuji, etc. It feels looser but it is faster.

Suspension Settings - Fast and Loose
Ride height: -5/-5
Spring rate: 12.6/9.5
Damper extension: 10/6
Damper Compression: 8/8
Anti-roll bars: 3/7
Camber: 4.6/2.5
Toe: 0.00/-0.10

LSD Settings - Fast and Loose
Initial: 15/--
Acceleration: 30/--
Braking: 15/--
See above for Fast and Loose notes

Brake Settings- Fast and Loose
Front: 3
Rear: 7

Tight and Precise: This setup makes turns the Civic into a slot car. It is slightly slower than the above setup, but it is more precise, therefore good for tight race tracks. I developed this for the Nurburgring Nordschleife, as with the Fast and Loose settings I was all over the place and went into the grass a few times. The Tight and Precise remedied this by making the car a front wheel drive missile: point and shoot. Try this on the 'Ring and other tight circuits (London, etc.)

Suspension Settings - Tight and Precise
Ride height: -18/-20
Spring rate: 9.3/12.1
Damper extension: 5/7
Damper Compression: 4/6
Anti-roll bars: 4/6
Camber: 3.5/2/0
Toe: -0.06/-0.10

LSD Settings – Tight and Precise
Initial: 10/--
Acceleration: 40/--
Braking: 20/--

Brake Settings – Tight and Precise
Front: 5

Transmission settings – use with either tunes above
Top speed: 180 mph for absolute top speed (Hish Speed Ring, Nordschleife, etc)
Top Speed: 162 mph for smaller circuits where top speed can't be reached

Aero – use with both tunes above
Front: 14
Rear: 15

Specifications
Max power: 322 hp @ 8900 rpm
Max torque: 291 ftlb @ 6400 rpm
Weight: 845 kg
Weight/power : 2.62 kg/hp
Performance points: 516

N%C3%BCrburgring%20Nordschleife%20%282%29.jpg

The Civic Type R EK is highly capable small platform. It is a tuner’s dream, with loads of aftermarket support and easy to work on. On top of that it is inexpensive and reliable. That leads to some “tuners” doing questionable mods, and street racers giving the car a bad name for being a rice rocket or fart cannon. Despite all that, when modified correctly the Civic will surprise those with bigger cars.

Both my tunes of the Civic Type R builds on the car’s strengths, using its light mass to make it handle curves at high speed as well as bigger, more expensive cars. This is demonstrated by the fact that I lapped both the Nurburgring Nordchleife and Deep Forest Raceway faster with the 322 hp Civic than with the 583 hp Lexus LFA. Maybe I am just a better driver of whacked out front wheel drive hatchbacks than of rear wheel drive supercars…

Lap times (surprisingly fast for my racing ability)
Deep Forest Raceway: 1:15.497 – Fast and Loose tune
Nurburgring Nordschleife: 7:20.134 – Tight and Precise tune
Trial Mountain: 1:32.229 – Fast and Loose tune

Bern%20-%20Market%20Street.jpg

Last edited:
After testing the LFA Black Monster it is a solid tune. It handles beautifully when your silky smooth with the car even on the bumpy ring. It feels a little high and heavy. When you start to push it it starts to under-steer alot. The transmission setup needs some work. It maxes out on the long straights at 194 at the absolute max redline RPM. At certain points in the rpm band the car feels like it "dies" and its hesitant to keep going. Other than those small issues its a very solid stable tune. Best time on the ring for me was 7:24.975. That was as fast as I could get it while keeping it under control. Its a great tune for starting out with the car.

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll look into minimizing understeer and work on maximizing the gears.

Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst R (FD) ‘01
Snow White

Passing Impreza on an off camber curve
Eifel%20%28Circuit%29_2.jpg

Parts Installed
Oil change
Weight reduction stage 1
Window weight reduction
Chassis reinforcement
ECU tuning
Engine tuning stage 1
Sports intake manifold
Racing air filter
Sports exhaust manifold
Sports catalytic converter
Titanium racing exhaust
Mid rpm turbo kit
Carbon driveshaft
Fully customizable LSD
Sport soft tires

Suspension Settings
Ride height: 6/6
Spring rate: 8.1/6.3
Damper extension: 6/6
Anti-roll bars: 3/3
Camber: 2.2/1.8
Toe: 0.00/0.17

Transmission settings
Final drive ratio 3.976
Top speed: 180 mph

LSD Settings
Initial: --/12
Acceleration: --/36
Braking: --/18

Brake Settings
Front: 7
Rear: 3

Specifications
Max power: 466 hp @ 7200 rpm
Max torque: 406 ftlb @ 5200 rpm
Weight: 1149 kg
Weight/power: 2.47 kg/hp
Performance points: 540

Managed to avoid the NSX here, passing it before it darted back on the pavement
Eifel%20%28Circuit%29.jpg

Quick tune, the purpose of this car was solely to win the RX-7 Bonus Race 2. It is a bit overkill with all the options ticked, minus flywheel and twin plate clutch, but this RX-7 holds its own on those undulating corners, maintaining a stable drift on off camber curves, and able to put the power down when floored. In the end I came out in first place the first time I raced it, topping the second car by over 4 seconds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll look into minimizing understeer and work on maximizing the gears.

No problem. I just took it around Deep Forest and managed a 1:17.550. The car was way to stiff at certain points and the understeer was more pronounced there since it was a tighter track. Still a good tune.

I have a few of my cars Im working on in my shared if you want to try them. Need some help on them.

Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) ‘07
Aquilante

Circuito%20de%20Madrid_4.jpg

Parts Installed
Oil change
Weight reduction stage 1
Window weight reduction
Aero type A
ECU tuning
Titanium racing exhaust
Fully customizable LSD
Sport soft tires

Suspension Settings
Ride height: 0/0
Spring rate: 9.7/12.2
Damper extension: 7/7
Damper Compression: 7/7
Anti-roll bars: 4/4
Camber: 1.1/0.9
Toe: 0.00/0.07

Transmission settings
Top speed: 174 mph

LSD Settings
Initial: --/12
Acceleration: --/36
Braking: --/18

Brake Settings
Front: 6

Specifications
Max power: 357 hp @ 7500 rpm
Max torque: 283 ftlb @ 5500 rpm
Weight: 1351 kg
Weight/power: 3.78 kg/hp
Performance points: 490

Circuito%20de%20Madrid_1.jpg

Another quick tune, single-purpose built car, this one was made for the Nissan Z Bonus Race after I could not enter the GT Academy Nissan Z I owned. I bought this car and the minimum amount of stuff to make it competitive. This car highlighted and reminded me why I never cared for the Nissan Fairlady: it feels heavy even with a decent amount of horsepower. IRL I have driven a Nissan Z and it felt the same way. Corvettes feel lighter to me than Nissan Zs. Despite the heavy feeling this car does gather good speed and has good manners. I won the race the first time around, passing the lead car halfway through the last lap. It served its purpose well.

Last edited:
I'm loving it man, mad respect to the moose, or meese, whichever you prefer. and I'd love to see what you could do to a 430 Scud for PP600 class. i'm having a little trouble on Sports Softs. just saying though.. and that LFA is a fun car man. good work on that.

Im working on a 430 Scud for a PP600. Was fine untill I forgot about the engine break-in thing.... Anyway Im still working on it. I know Im not a well know tuner but Im trying to learn. Plus im not the fastest at this yet.

Enough tunes for right now. I might put my hands on finishing my tune of the Ferrari 330 P4, and also my small collection of Rufs. I love the Rufs because Porsche are my favorite cars and because they are a beast to tame, but once you get it right they are great.

After testing the LFA Black Monster it is a solid tune. It handles beautifully when your silky smooth with the car even on the bumpy ring.

That's how it felt to me, pretty solid but still wild.

It maxes out on the long straights at 194 at the absolute max redline RPM.

That's how I like my cars, I usually set them up to max rpms on the fastest portion of a long circuit.

At certain points in the rpm band the car feels like it "dies" and its hesitant to keep going.

Probably due to gearing. All I really did to the engine was an exhaust. I'll do some work on the gears.

Other than those small issues its a very solid stable tune. Best time on the ring for me was 7:24.975. That was as fast as I could get it while keeping it under control. Its a great tune for starting out with the car.

Thanks, I'll see about addressing the understeer and gear problems.

I'll give the Scuderia a try. I have ben working on the LFA for the past hour, I'll put it back on share mode, let me know what you think. I have improved 6 seconds on the High Speed Ring, changing the whole suspension, transmission and LSD setup. If you find it more to your liking I can post that here.

I'll give the Scuderia a try. I have ben working on the LFA for the past hour, I'll put it back on share mode, let me know what you think. I have improved 6 seconds on the High Speed Ring, changing the whole suspension, transmission and LSD setup. If you find it more to your liking I can post that here.

I'll give it a try. As long as its similar it should be good. Let me know how the Scud works.

I think the LFA is running much better now. I tried a different approach and redid the whole thing.

Your Scuderia is running great, but it feels very clinical: how precise it feels though, I like a bit more emotion (means sliding and tires screeching...). I did a whole new setup for it (don't worry, I reset it to your liking) an I lapped High Speed Ring about 1/4 second faster with my setup. I'm PMing it to you.

I think the LFA is running much better now. I tried a different approach and redid the whole thing.

Your Scuderia is running great, but it feels very clinical: how precise it feels though, I like a bit more emotion (means sliding and tires screeching...). I did a whole new setup for it (don't worry, I reset it to your liking) an I lapped High Speed Ring about 1/4 second faster with my setup. I'm PMing it to you.

I tuned it on Deep Forest and when I was tuning it I thought it was wildly loose but manageable and fun to drive. I'll try it out again.

Guys,

I´m a driver in the First Brazilian Championship of GT5, than i have problem to turn my car much better.

The races are always on mondays. I don´t have enough time to tunne my car.

Than i want to know if this garage can help me with my setups?

My team is "Capenga´s Race Team" and our car is the P-Lexus Denso Dunlop SARD SC430.

The limits are 510cv and 980kg.

The next race will be in Deep Forest.

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Eng_igor, sou brasileiro tambem...

If you want I can tune the Denso for you, but I do not have that car. Add me as a friend on psn and put the Denso on share status. I will see what I can do to it.

If you want to PM me in Portuguese you can do that.

Eng_igor, sou brasileiro tambem...

If you want I can tune the Denso for you, but I do not have that car. Add me as a friend on psn and put the Denso on share status. I will see what I can do to it.

If you want to PM me in Portuguese you can do that.

Cara que massa te encontrar aqui!!!!

Vou te mandar um Denso até amanhã a noite. Ai você usa ele.

Como é sua disponibilidade? Se tiver interesse, poderíamos formar um time: Eu, você e o João meu companheiro de equipe. Se for preciso ressarcir de alguma forma e só nos comunicar.

Vou adicionar sua PSN. Minha PSN é Igor_Villas_USA.

Grato pelo contato.

Até mais.

Dude you seriously never cease to amaze me, fluent in portugese and killing meese with your eyes to taming an LFA, i'm half tempted to bookmark this page.

Ruf RGT ‘00
Ferdinand

Grand%20Valley%20East_4.jpg

Parts Installed
Oil change
Weight reduction stage 3
Window weight reduction
Chassis reinforcement
ECU tuning
Engine tuning stage 3
Titanium racing exhaust
Twin plate clutch
Semi-racing flywheel
Fully customizable LSD
Sport soft tires

Deep%20Forest%20Raceway_23.jpg

Ballast Settings
Weight: 15
Position: -25

Suspension Settings
Ride height: -3/-5
Spring rate: 7.5/12.5
Damper extension: 5/7
Anti-roll bars: 3/2
Camber: 1.8/2.2
Toe: 0.00/-0.05

Transmission settings
Top speed: 193 mph

LSD Settings
Initial: --/16
Acceleration: --/32
Braking: --/24

Brake Settings
Front: 9
Rear: 3

Specifications
Max power: 515 hp @ 8100 rpm
Max torque: 348 ftlb @ 5600 rpm
Weight: 1185 kg
Weight/power: 2.30 kg/hp
Performance points: 552

Grand%20Valley%20East_5.jpg

Ferdinand is the first Porsc… I mean, RUF, that I officially tuned for Moose Knuckle Tuning, hence the name. I figured I’d tune of the tamer RUFs first before venturing into BTR or even CTR territory… I’ll leave those monsters for later. The lack of turbocharging didn’t make tuning the RGT any easier. It either oversteered a lot, or understeered anytime I put the pedal down. Tuning this beast took a lot of patience, and when I had to check the tune on numerous race tracks. After achieving a balanced tune that will do High Speed Ring as well as the Nurburgring, Deep Forest as well as Grand Valley, I am satisfied with the RGT and ready for release.

One word of advice, the Porsche mantra of “slow in, fast out” pays dividend with this car. It will feel like it’s understeering at first, but once the suspension settles (takes a split second) you can start adding gas. Driving this car takes finesse, but once you master the RGT it is a blast to drive.

Please provide constructive criticism and help me improve it if I can!

N%C3%BCrburgring%20Nordschleife_14.jpg

PS: If you have a RUF 3400S or CTR2 for trade I want them! :)

Last edited:
Back