Literary Member
Premium
United States
Sturgis, MI
GTP_ty00123
2nd Gen (1965-1969) Chevy Corvair coupe

5125820013_large.jpg

Specs

Uncool. Looks pretty good but the performance even for that era is rather horrid. Not even 100bhp.

This is one of those rare cars that makes me think 'cool' on first sight, without knowing anything at all about the car.

But still...95 hp? What were they thinking? Maybe it was an attempt to keep their customers from dieing horrible flaming deaths via hp reduction.

800px-Typ_4_412_Variant_aus_Offenbach.JPG

2975267592_3ba714967d.jpg

5125820013_large.jpg

Now if only the Corvair had a flat-four, too...

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, the Specs linked to are for the base model Corvair. You could still get the 180HP turbocharged model.

-> Even with VW Brasilia looks & boxer/flat engine, due to its nostalgic nature I rate it 'COOL'.

Meh, never really liked the Corvair. Really it's only redeeming quality is that it was Chevrolet's sort of attempt at being different(different as in copying things Europe had been doing for awhile), only it failed miserably.

1100 kg and flat 6 in an US car, I could not resist to put subzero. But clearly only for the coupe for me.

Nah... the flat six just makes it... errh...

800px-Porsche_911E_ca_1969.jpg

To be fair, though... the Corvair did come before the Brasilia... so maybe VW was the one copying Chevrolet... :lol:

The first generation was the one that was reputed to be unsafe... a reputation that was only half-earned (hell... all old rear-engined sports cars are death traps... :lol: )

Chevrolet fixed the handling for the second generation, though.

Cool for upsetting the fun police would be the AC Cobra... which inspired changes to automotive regulations for being so bad-ass, hoons hooned in it. The Corvair inspired changes to automotive regulations for simply selling to people who didn't know how to drive a twitchy sportscar... :lol:

Weren't these things supposed to be death traps?

Lexus GX460 or whatever is also a death trap, remember? ;)

Nah... the flat six just makes it... errh...

To be fair, though... the Corvair did come before the Brasilia... so maybe VW was the one copying Chevrolet... :lol:

The first generation was the one that was reputed to be unsafe... a reputation that was only half-earned (hell... all old rear-engined sports cars are death traps... :lol: )

Chevrolet fixed the handling for the second generation, though.

Cool for upsetting the fun police would be the AC Cobra... which inspired changes to automotive regulations for being so bad-ass, hoons hooned in it. The Corvair inspired changes to automotive regulations for simply selling to people who didn't know how to drive a twitchy sportscar... :lol:

Poor man's Porsche, sure. Did it quite well too.

The Corvair wasn't exactly a bad car. Wrong for the time, sure. Bad? Not really. They look good and they're special. Oh and they don't sound half bad either. Then again... L67 anyone? :lol:

Well in that case I voted cool. It's so totally bizarre though, GM have had so many varying concepts but ultimately most of their production cars were front engined V8s, it's like this one somehow slipped through the barrier between concept and production that GM has in place for anything out of the ordinary.

I've only seen one of these in the metal and it's a cool car based on its looks alone. Loses brownie points for performance but meh, what can you do?

Saw one of these laid out Clio/Golf W12 style with a Chevy 350ci V8 in the middle.

Fun little cars, not bad looking either.

Coo'

It's a cool little coupe with some junk in the trunk. Quite cheap to buy, too. Suppose it's cool for the weird RR drivetrain group.

I wonder, always, why Nader didn't go after the 911 for it's handling characteristics...

Corvair's definitely cool, though, despite launching the career of the world's greatest troll to-date.

I wonder, always, why Nader didn't go after the 911 for it's handling characteristics...
Because Nadar was a genre-savvy ambulance chaser with political ambitions. Considering how much of his book was sensationalist bunk (and how much of the other stuff was severely out of date by the time the book was published), it isn't surprising that he focused on GM exclusively and ignored everyone else who was still using similar suspension designs in their cars.

Nadar was a smart S.O.B. (for example, I'm assuming he had a pretty good idea that GM would react in the Bond-villian style that they did and get Nadar even more publicity), but I have serious doubts that he actually cared beyond what it meant for him.

Back