OFFICIAL PRICE AT LAUNCH:
$399 / £349/ €399

LAUNCH DATE:
November 15, 2013 (US)
November 29, 2013 (EU)

LAUNCH WINDOW LINEUP
(source):

DISC:
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (Ubisoft)
Battlefield 4 (EA)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
Driveclub (SCE)
FIFA 14 (EA)
Killzone: Shadow Fall (SCE)
Knack (SCE)
Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft)
LEGO Marvel Superheroes (Warner Bros.)
Madden 25 (EA)
NBA 2K14 (2K Games)
NBA Live (EA)
Need for Speed: Rivals (EA)
Skylanders: Swap Force (Activision)
Watch Dogs (Ubisoft)

PSN:
Basement Crawl (Bloober Team)
Blacklight: Retribution (Zombie Studio)
Contrast (Focus Home Interactive)
Counterspy (SCE)
Doki-Doki Universe (SCE)
DC Universe Online (SOE)
Flower (SCE)
Hohokum (SCE)
Minecraft (Mojang)
N++ (Metanet)
Pinball Arcade (Farsight Technologies)
Planetside 2 (SOE)
Pool Nation Extreme (Cherry Pop Games)
ResoGun (SCE)
Super Motherload (Xgen Studios)
Tiny Brains (Spearhead)
Warframe (Digital Extremes)
War Thunder (Gaijin Entertainment)

-----------------------------

NEW PS4 GAMES ANNOUNCED AT E3 2013
Confirmed PS4 Exclusive as of E3 in Bold:

Kingdom Hearts 3
Final Fantasy XIII Versus, now renamed Final Fantasy XV
Final Fantasy 14, also coming to PS3
Elder Scrolls Online
The Order: 1886
Mad Max
Transistor
Don't Starve
Mercenary Kings
Secret Ponchos
Outlast
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee PS4 remake
Octodad: 'Dad'-liest Catch
Galak-Z
Ray's the Dead

NEW CONSOLE DETAILS:

"PlayStation 4 has 'no restrictions' on used games, no always-on connectivity"
"PlayStation Plus membership will persist and carry over to PlayStation 4"
"PS4 Launches at $399"
"PlayStation cloud service launches in 2014, will stream PS3 games"
"Playstation Plus Required for PS4 Online Play"

HI-RES CONSOLE IMAGES PROVIDED BY gtone339

PS4 controller:

9012524510_fc72a6b76e_k.jpg

9011340225_7f9ab2a227_k.jpg

Headphone:

9012443116_b6aee64135_b.jpg

Playstation 4 console:

9011260103_f9b4b37b6d_k.jpg

9012525808_6c2e4546b4_k.jpg

9012525924_50eb5f4b50_k.jpg

9011260711_83b0104c68_k.jpg

9011262059_6b8fe0953f_h.jpg

FEBRURARY 20, 2013:
PlayStation 4 console announced by Sony in New York

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21526450

Sony has announced its next-generation gaming console - the PlayStation 4 - at an event in New York.

Its new hardware is designed to offer superior graphics as well as new social features including the sharing of recorded gameplay clips.

The PS4 will eventually compete against Microsoft's still-to-be-unveiled Xbox 360 successor and Nintendo's Wii U.

Sony said the console was "coming holiday 2013" suggesting it will go on sale in at least some countries in or around December. It did not give any indication of its price.

What we know so far (courtesy of Joystiq):

-PS4 has x86 CPU, 8GB onboard memory, local hard drive

-PS4's DualShock 4 controller has built-in touch pad, motion control capability

-PS4 allows playing games as they're downloading

-"Try Anything" for PlayStation 4: "Try it for free, share it if you like it, and pay only for the games which you fall in love with," Perry said.

-"Instant broadcast:" allows players to broadcast and share gameplay videos using existing, connected social networks, such as Ustream and Facebook. Friends are able to post comments to your screen.

-PlayStation 4's dedicated video hardware will allow seamless video uploading, streaming, sharing

-PlayStation 4 will continue to bring streaming media to homes

-PlayStation 4 will stream PS1, PS2, PS3 games

-PlayStation Move compatible with PS4,

-PS4 features PS Vita remote play powered by Gaikai

-PS4 will have support from 'every' major third party

Announced Games:
-Knack
-Killzone: Shadowfall
-Driveclub from the makers of Motorstorm, Evolution Studios
-Infamous: Second Son
-The Witness, which will be a PS4 launch exclusive
-A new Final Fantasy
-Watch Dogs
-Diablo 3 (both PS3 and PS4)
-Destiny

FEBRURARY 3, 2013:
WSJ: Sony's next PlayStation will be revealed February 20th, arrive later this year

An unconfirmed rumor from the Wall street Journal claims that Sony's special Playstation-themed event, which is coming Februrary 20th, will include the announcement of the PS4. The article also reports that both the PS4 and the next Xbox may launch before this year's Christmas.

New information about the PS4's specs and new focus have also been posted in an update to the article.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3939410/wsj-playstation-orbis-ps4-will-arrive-later-in-2013

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that the company will not only reveal the next PlayStation at the event, but actually put the new video game console on sale later this year. According to the publication's anonymous sources, both the next PlayStation and Microsoft's next game system will compete head to head going into the holiday season.

UPDATE: In an update, the Journal adds that Sony is planning to "incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine," and that the company is generally focused more on "changes in how users interact with the machine" rather than spec improvements. Reportedly, it will still have an optical drive, though the publication's anonymous sources say that Sony had considered removing it. As rumored in April, the Journal says that the console will likely use AMD processors for both CPU and GPU, which could make backwards compatibility with PS3 games — developed for the Cell processor architecture — difficult.

MARCH 29, 2012:
Sony's Newest Playstation, "Orbis"

This is an unconfirmed rumor by a "reliable source".

http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...ium=socialflow

Sony is apparently developing a new home console scheduled for holiday 2013 launch. The Orbis will ditch the Cell processor for an AMD GPU. The console "will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160" and will also be "capable of playing 3D games in 1080p". Some developers have received dev kits for this console since the beginning of 2012. The console will not be backwards-compatible with PS3 games, and will block used game support.

Discussion of the new Orbis rumors begins here.

JANUARY 11, 2012:
No PS4 announcement this year, Sony says

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/01...ew-playstation-at-key-trade-show/?mod=WSJBlog

"Sony said it does not plan on making an announcement about a new home console at this year’s E3 videogame trade show, deflating expectation that a successor to its PlayStation 3 will be on its way soon.

[...]

During a roundtable with reporters at the Consumer Electronics Show, a reporter asked a question to Hirai attributing comments to the head of its videogame division, Andrew House, that there would be no announcement about a PlayStation 4 at the show.

Hirai, who appointed House for the job, said they are not talking about a new home console now and that they don’t plan to do so at E3.

"Andy (House) is absolutely right in that we are not making any announcements at E3," Hirai said. "I’ve always said a 10-year life cycle for PS3, and there is no reason to go away from that."

Since the PS3 released in late 2006, does that mean that we may not see a PS4 until 2016? Hopefully that's not the case, as it's rumored that Microsoft will announce its next Xbox at this year's E3, giving them a major head start.

Last edited:
Already heared the news, which totally suck if true. It has one advantage though. SHOULD the PS4 release considerably later then the Nextbox, it may have a hardware advantage like back than the Xbox1 had over the PS2, that would be so ace, we would definately have the prettiest and most realistic racing game once GT is released on it...

Last edited:
The "mind games" Sony and Mircosoft are going to be playing with each other over the next 1 - 1.5 years should be hilarious. I'm sure there is so much nervousness amongst both companies, as to what "route" to go with hardware components.

What sucks is that I feel That developers have already pushed the ps3 as far as it can go. I'm sure they can find new was to polish things up but I can't believe they're sticking to the 10 year plan.

Profits out weigh what we want though.

Ah, but they are making an announcement about the PS4 by announcing they aren't announcing it. :sly:

If the NextBox is released then I will most likely buy it, provided it is backwards compatible...

SHOULD the PS4 release considerably later than the Nextbox, it may have a hardware advantage like back than the Xbox1 had over the PS2...

Bingo. Yes Sony would be behind at first, but a great example is Ford with their new GT500 Mustang. Chevrolet announced the ZL-1 Camaro, so Ford sat back for a little while then announced an even better car. No reason to think Sony wouldn't do the same thing. 👍

Good news, no need for a PS4 just yet anyway plus i only got a PS3 in 2009 so i would definally would like to get my money's worth out of it before all developers start shifting their focus to new hardware.
I also never buy consoles at launch and taking into account the price increase of each playstation at launch means it will cost a small fortune when it's released.

Who told you guys that they are going to announce the next gen xbox this year? It could be a different xbox360 with addictional features.

Well I'm back in school next fall for 2 years full time and not really working at all while in school. If they could hold off for 2 years I wouldn't be too upset.

If Microsoft releases the Nextbox first, it means developers will have a better idea of how to best optimize code for that console vs. the newly released PS4. Also, who's to say that the PS4 won't be released sometime near the end of the PS3's life cycle, so that they are both available at the same time much like what happened with PS2/PS3.

the ps3 is going through its best sales period ever. even if the ps4 was in the works, they wouldn't announce it for fear of ruining the current gen's boom. due to that, we won't know what's in the works until it's upon us.

So Kaz said that they won't reveal PS4 at E3 OK...But don't forget that if Microsoft reveals it's next gen console in June, Sony will most likely reveal it at Tokyo Games Show or gamescom.

There's new rumours. Sony may NOT launch a next-gen console...

Sony was quick to shoot down rumors that a PS4 would be announced at this year's E3, but things just got a lot more interesting all of a sudden, as cloud gaming service Gaikai has commented that one of the current console manufacturers actually won't be creating another console for the next generation. Speaking during CES, Nanea Reeves, chief product officer for Gaikai, predicted, "Not all of the current console makers will have one more generation. That will be the big news at E3."

If true, wow. With Wii U guaranteed to launch in 2012, that means it's either going to be Microsoft or Sony. Our take is that it's probably Sony because financially the company would have a tougher time with the huge R&D and manufacturing for yet another new console.

Beyond that, it's easy to speculate that perhaps Sony is working on some major cloud gaming partnership with Gaikai instead of devoting resources to another piece of hardware. We'll bring you more as we hear it!

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/...out-of-next-gen-console-race-predicts-gaikai/

Last edited:
No offense to anyone, but it's the gaming media is bating this war to begin with, and people are eating this [censored] up, all just because Nintendo is moving on to another console because of their idiotic tech. I will conceed that the 360 is on its last legs, but expecting Sony to tag along in this nutjob craze for a new console generation just to be even with Nintendo and Microsoft is just maddening.

Remember the last time that a console maker had at least a six month jump on its competitor? It became a third party publisher instead and shut down its console division. That's right, I'm talking about SEGA.

If Nintendo wants to share Sega's fate, let them do it, but don't do it at the expense of a half [censored] PS4 and X720.

Combine that with Sony's previous claim in my OP that they want to keep word on their current console's 10-year life cycle, and it's certain to me that Sony is the one of the two rumored companies in that article who will ignore the next non-portable console race. They're probably too busy promoting their recently released PS VITA.

I think the from stuff ive heard on the net im guessing the ps4 will drop late 2014 early 2015 . i also remember hearing of a new ps3 version somthing about updated hardware or somthing.

Last edited:
Bingo. Yes Sony would be behind at first, but a great example is Ford with their new GT500 Mustang. Chevrolet announced the ZL-1 Camaro, so Ford sat back for a little while then announced an even better car. No reason to think Sony wouldn't do the same thing. 👍

True however there is still more buzz about the Camaro ZL1 despite it lacking the hp of the GT500. The Camaro family as a whole has noticeably taken the muscle car segment by storm with its aggresive styling and is getting more sails as a result.

Oh come on you actually think Sony couldn't afford the R&D and marketing for a new console? Of course they will have a new one for this generation, ridiculous to think otherwise.

And why does the title say this year? Sony only said not at E3 and the last 2 times the ps3 had a price drop it was announced at Gamescon...

As someone who bought a PS3 last September, I'm pretty happy that there's no real announcement of a PS4 yet. Sure, it is coming in the next few years, but I'm pleased it's not this year at least.

Personally I think the games look great still and I don't see what a new £300+ spend on a new console and games would really do. The only benefit I can see is that maybe people are getting bored of the same franchises in this current generation, and a new console would probably spell new franchises. But the only reason that's happened is because people are less and less willing to spend money on something that isn't an AAA title and so developers are taking less risks, which ends up in more sequels than anything else, which thus ends up with the consumer getting bored of the same franchises.

I'm not sure if Sony still make a loss on the PS3 hardware but developing a PS4 and probably making a loss on that initially doesn't seem very smart to me when the PS3 has really gathered pace in both hardware and software sales in 2011. I think 2014 should be the year for the PS4. Maybe even 2015 if developers are still getting a lot out of it.

think you guys are forgetting...
sony recently patented technology to power up a console by means of external processors, graphics cards, etc. this is proof that sony aren't very interested in a new console.

dan0543
think you guys are forgetting...
sony recently patented technology to power up a console by means of external processors, graphics cards, etc. this is proof that sony aren't very interested in a new console.

Sony isn't a small company with 1 or 2 projects. Completely irrelevant and no proof.

Latest Posts

Back