Turbo lag fun!

• Thread starter aky141
  • 117 comments
Australia
nsw
aky141
Hey everyone,
I love my turbo cars, so if anyone could give me some cars that have a really peaky powerband from the boost, because i find it fun :D
I already know about the Pikes peak, That option 350Z, and the Ferrari F40
Can anyone else list more o.O

I did have a look around but i figured this would be the best place to post it, seeing as it seemed general
"Can anyone else list more o.O" and that seems awfully like a question

aky141
Hey everyone,
I love my turbo cars, so if anyone could give me some cars that have a really peaky powerband from the boost, because i find it fun :D
I already know about the Pikes peak, That option 350Z, and the Ferrari F40
Can anyone else list more o.O

HPA STAGE II R32 (my favorite VW Golf in the game

Also the enfini RX-7 with one of the turbos has lag at least according to my friend that was driving the RX-7 the other day

Yeah they nailed it, the escudo and the HPA R32 have the most noticeable turbo lag.. Another I have grown to kinda like is the RE Amiya Asparadrink RX7

Just for the record, GT5 doesn't model turbo lag.

If I remember correctly, some of the fully tuned RX-7's have a peaky power band.

Exorcet
Just for the record, GT5 doesn't model turbo lag.

Wrong. And i can prove it. It is only on select cars. Most of which are listed above.

Just because the turbo gauge is displaying boost doesn't make it right. Trust me on this. The boost gauge is garbage in GT5 and on some cars the turbo lag they have in real life is modeled in GT5. Don't believe it i will prove it to you

Vertigo Race Car with high RPM turbocharger. No power when you take off, but once the power band kicks in... let's just say, it's pretty insane on the throttle.

aky141
I'm talking about power curve

Yes but technically the Option Stream Z/HPA STAGE II R32/Susuki Escudo all have the same characteristics as they do in real life. Which the Option Stream Z in real life acted the way it did because of its huge amount of turbo lag. The turbo was made to kick in at such a high speed because it was a top speed car. That is the reason for the power band which displays when the turbo actually kicks in.

The Escudo same principle but for Pikes peak hill climb.

HPA i don't know much about it but if I remember correctly it was a time attack car and had the same turbo lag.

As many know the turbo gauge is garbage in GT5 and doesn't simulate a turbo in real time. The game does more of that by its self.

Some people have a hard time believing that GT5 does have turbo lag. But those 3 cars are the best examples I know of

Lotus Carlton definitely gives off a sharp "feeling" of turbo lag. I find in places that taking corners a gear higher than required and using a quick clutch kick can aid in laptimes and overall fun factor for that ride.

That is the reason for the power band which displays when the turbo actually kicks in.
You can't tell a thing about turbo lag from the powerband. What you're describing isn't turbo lag.

Some people have a hard time believing that GT5 does have turbo lag. But those 3 cars are the best examples I know of

They were discussed in the last turbo lag thread, including a video of the R32. The video didn't show lag, just a peaky powerband.

Exorcet
You can't tell a thing about turbo lag from the powerband. What you're describing isn't turbo lag.

They were discussed in the last turbo lag thread, including a video of the R32. The video didn't show lag, just a peaky powerband.

Ok lets move on... Explain the way the Option Stream Z acts. That is turbo lag there is not doubt about it. That's exactly the reason the car does this in real life. The power ban speaks for itself on that car. Which when the turbo kicks in it produces that power ban.

Ok lets move on... Explain the way the Option Stream Z acts. That is turbo lag there is not doubt about it. That's exactly the reason the car does this in real life. The power ban speaks for itself on that car. Which when the turbo kicks in it produces that power ban.

This might help you all out. From personal experience I am almost positive that GT5 has turbo lag. One car that really shows it is a fully tuned RX8. As a drifter it is easy to notice turbo lag. When the turbo kicks in you can feel more wheel spin and the car feels like it has lost all grip.

WAIT THAT DOESN'T GO THERE-Zach

Eric1512
This might help you all out. From personal experience I am almost positive that GT5 has turbo lag. One car that really shows it is a fully tuned RX8. As a drifter it is easy to notice turbo lag. When the turbo kicks in you can feel more wheel spin and the car feels like it has lost all grip.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3W7qp8d9I">YouTube Link</a>
WAIT THAT DOESN'T GO THERE-Zach

Hahahaha. It does suck that that blow out made the car lose control. But what do you expect he was going 200+ when it happened.

The turbo was made to kick in at such a high speed because it was a top speed car. That is the reason for the power band which displays when the turbo actually kicks in.
The power ban speaks for itself on that car. Which when the turbo kicks in it produces that power ban.

That's not what turbo lag is. Turbo lag is the delay between pressing the throttle and getting power when you are already in the section of the power band where the turbo is designed to deliver power.

The minimum RPM required to activate the turbo is something else entirely.

Last edited:
That's not what turbo lag is.

Indeed. A very common misconception.

The easiest way to think about it is this:

Turbo lag is related to power vs time

Power bad "lag" is related to power vs RPM.

In GT5 we have the latter, never the former. If you are relating RPM or powerband to power/acceleration you're not talking about turbo lag.

If there was turbo lag in GT5, you could take a hypothetical peaky engine with a flat section of the powerband around the peak and still get delayed acceleration response even when your RPM is right in the middle of the peak.

Toronado
That's not what turbo lag is. Turbo lag is the delay between pressing the throttle and getting power when you are already in the section of the power band where the turbo is designed to deliver power.

The minimum RPM required to activate the turbo is something else entirely.

Exorcet
Indeed. A very common misconception.

The easiest way to think about it is this:

Turbo lag is related to power vs time

Power bad "lag" is related to power vs RPM.

In GT5 we have the latter, never the former. If you are relating RPM or powerband to power/acceleration you're not talking about turbo lag.

If there was turbo lag in GT5, you could take a hypothetical peaky engine with a flat section of the powerband around the peak and still get delayed acceleration response even when your RPM is right in the middle of the peak.

Ok then. Once again. Explain the Option Stream Z and tell me that isn't turbo lag. I know what turbo lag is. I am trying to word this as best as I can. Turbo lag is there. I don't understand how you don't see it on at least that car. If you can't admit it besides the turbo gauge (which as stated before is not valid and in GT5 the turbo gauge its self is probably the most incorrect thing in the game) i don't know what to tell you. Because if you don't believe it then I guess it is your opinion. That car specially does in fact have turbo lag. No doubt about it. The car does the exact same thing in real life as far as the spooling of the turbo.

Ok then. Once again. Explain the Option Stream Z and tell me that isn't turbo lag. I know what turbo lag is. I am trying to word this as best as I can. Turbo lag is there. I don't understand how you don't see it on at least that car. If you can't admit it besides the turbo gauge (which as stated before is not valid and in GT5 the turbo gauge its self is probably the most incorrect thing in the game) i don't know what to tell you. Because if you don't believe it then I guess it is your opinion. That car specially does in fact have turbo lag. No doubt about it. The car does the exact same thing in real life as far as the spooling of the turbo.

No one has mentioned the boost gauge except you.

You said you would post video, so I don't know why you're asking me to prove things when I'm waiting on that.

Also, everything you've said indicates that you don't know the difference between turbo lag and a peaky power curve, though I guess it could also be really bad choice of words.

Is this turbo lag, yes or no?

Where is the lag here?

Or here

Exorcet
No one has mentioned the boost gauge except you.

You said you would post video, so I don't know why you're asking me to prove things when I'm waiting on that.

Also, everything you've said indicates that you don't know the difference between turbo lag and a peaky power curve, though I guess it could also be really bad choice of words.

Is this turbo lag, yes or no?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjK7ModO8Lc">YouTube Link</a>

Yes it is turbo lag with the HPA.

I never have seen the other thread you mentioned before by the way.

Anyway the turbo gauge in the game is highly inaccurate. I mean the gauge is exactly the same in every stage turbo in each car. And doesn't fluctuate correctly for a basis on a stage turbo. The gauge ok for example shouldn't be all the way up in those cars when the boost really isn't there. I mean come on.

Every time I mention this or anyone else mentions this the first thing pops up is about the gauge showing boost is there. It has something to do when going 1/4th to full throttle the gauge is pretty much 100% inaccurate.

Can you not see that?

Hummmm give me about 40 mins. I'll do the Option Stream Z and HPA and put videos up to show you what I am talking about. You are not totally getting what I am talking about. On the video with the Option Stream Z and Susuki Escudo wasn't what I was talking about. I am watching Sons of Anarchy if it can wait till after that ok.

Last edited:
Yes it is turbo lag with the HPA.

No it's not. It doesn't take 4 seconds for the turbo in any car to spool up. When the car has the sudden surge of acceleration at around 25 MPH, that's for no other reason than the HPA has a really peaky torque curve and that 4k RPM is where it starts; as seen by the fact that it only happens in 1st gear from a dead launch and every other gear has instant throttle response.

Toronado
No it's not. It doesn't take 4 seconds for the turbo in any car to spool up. When the car has the sudden surge of acceleration at around 25 MPH, that's for no other reason than the HPA has a really peaky torque curve and that 4k RPM is where it starts; as seen by the fact that it only happens in 1st gear from a dead launch.

The other factors you are not counting in is the transmissions. The gear ratios are not by far correct in GT5 as a stock setting. And the other is you are not looking at the big picture. For example the Option Stream Z. The reason i keep mentioning this car is because it is the best example of it. But it is described in many examples and explanations of turbo lag

Turbo lag is not the Rpm it "takes off" at There is no turbo lag in GT5 as far as i'm concerned, you get big lag on big HP, single turbo engines it's the amount of time it takes for the air to get rammed into the engine. Think of it like carbys vs fuel injection, injection is instant power, where as a carby takes a small amount of time for the fuel to be dragged through the jets
Best way i could put it
Torondo got it right

Last edited:
Maybe you two can open a thread elswhere to debate the existance of turbo lag.

Another laggy car is the Nismo 400R, and most turbo cars older than the 90's have the peaky "old turbo feel".

Back