• Poll closed .
United States
Texas
Alpine A110 1600S nominated by Encyclopedia

5933966652_ba16f8a0b7_o.jpg

Stats that Matter:
Production: 1970-1975
Style: 2-Door Coupe
Engine: Renault 1.6L I4-138 HP(R16)/140 HP(R17)
Transmission:5-Speed Manual
Layout: Rear-engine, Rear-drive
Top Speed: 130 MPH

Wikipedia

Nomination Thread

Cool.

It's sleek, it's fairly fast, and it just feels cool, especially in the traditional blue.

It is apparently hard to find many untouched examples, looking for a stocker pic most of them that came up had stickers at least, full race mods at most, and then there were GT4 and GT5 screenshots. Still, there are many worse things to be looking at in the world.

Not S-Z? Yes it's cool, very cool, but I can't say Sub Zero. Problem is, I don't know why.

Last edited:
Sub-freaking-Zero.

I just really love this car. It's amazing looks, reputation, and history make it Sub-Zero. And it's RR.

Sub-zero. It's classy, it's rare, and it's French. It was also a rally car and pretty much all rally cars are cool. Oh and it sounds great as well.

Sorry, I must dissent. Four cylinders, in an inline configuration. Science says that actually makes it sound wrong. Don't argue with that, it's science.

Therefore, uncool.

Sorry, I must dissent. Four cylinders, in an inline configuration. Science says that actually makes it sound wrong. Don't argue with that, it's science.

Therefore, uncool.

K20, 4-AG, F20C, CBR250RR, Crossplane R1, RC162.

Think before you type please, it saves everyone the time from having to fix the mistakes.

And cool, the Alpine looks nice, and has a good racing pedigree.
I wanted to put it in between cool and sub-zero, but I don't feel like it's one of the coolest cars in the world. Very nice car though.

K20, 4-AG, F20C, CBR250RR, Crossplane R1, RC162.

Think before you type please, it saves everyone the time from having to fix the mistakes.

As I recall, a study somewhere found that the sound of an inline four cylinder engine is deeply wrong, on a physiological level.

Besides, they just don't sit well with me. Though rallying in general does seem to fit my style, which is mostly described by the Scarface "Push it to the Limit" song.

Last edited:
A sound cannot be "wrong".

ESPECIALLY not an old Honda RC.

Sorry, science says the sound of a revving I4 causes testosterone drops in both men and women. Granted, the car in the study was a Volkswagen Polo, but until further research is conducted, I'll take it as a blanket slam of anything that has four cylinders in an inline configuration.

Sorry, science says the sound of a revving I4 causes testosterone drops in both men and women. Granted, the car in the study was a Volkswagen Polo, but until further research is conducted, I'll take it as a blanket slam of anything that has four cylinders in an inline configuration.

WHAT.

You cannot compare a Polo to the likes of those legendary engines.

Just listening to that RC162 has got my heart rate up, it would be absolutely incredible to hear that kind of music in real life. I'd be bouncing off the walls for days, hardly a testosterone drop.

First video: GT2 race start sequence stuck on infinite loop.
Second video: Actually sounds more like a six until he really gets on it at the end.

The A310 is the cool one. I think the A110 looks awful in comparison to that. Not that I will deny this one's history.

Meh.

You have to admit the similarity between "someone repeatedly revving a motorcycle to keep it running or something" and "grid of slow-revving kei cars preparing to engage in the slowest race in human history".

As I recall, a study somewhere found that the sound of an inline four cylinder engine is deeply wrong, on a physiological level.
Science will also tell you that bacon isn't good for you. Okay, it might not be healthy, but screw that. I friggin' love me some bacon!

On topic: The A110 is sub-zero for sure. No questions about it. Probably the coolest car ever made by the French, in my book. I've not been a huge fan of it when I first learned about it, but dang, the thing has been growing on me ever since.

We could really use some ban hammerin'. You know, for the sake of everyone.

On topic: this car is one of the very few ones for which sub zero is not enough.

And for me as a mexican it has a deeper meaning as Alpine licensed the car to be built here by Dina de México back in the 70s. The resulting cars were called Dinalpins. Less than 1000 were made in berlinetta, coupe and ragtop trim, and today they are very very VERY VERY rare. And valuable.

Cool. One of rallying's icons, but there's something about it that stops it being sub-zero that I can't quite grasp.

Well if it helps I think all 4 cylinders sounds like utter garbage.

Sub-Z.

Beautiful. Fast, owing not to masses of power but tiny size and little weight. Rally heritage. Never driven by anyone who didn't appreciate what it was. French, making it a bloody-minded "we'll do it our own way" snub to whatever it competed against.

Therefore, uncool.

You don't half talk utter drivel sometimes.

Up there with some of the coolest cars ever. As cool as Miura or a 60's front-engined Ferrari.

Sub-sub-zero. Problem is none of us mere mortals are cool enough to drive it, we don't deserve to drive a car this cool.

Back