Engine Sounds; What do they mean to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sUn
  • 83 comments
  • 4,933 views

sUn

(Banned)
Messages
3,560
Well, I've absolutely noticed the lack of engine sounds in previous Gran Turismo installments, most of the cars sound like another car but a tad changed, I really hope that in GT4, Polypony Digital actually has at least 85% of a real cars sound in the game. What do you think? :)

Reply.
 
sUn
Well, I've absolutely noticed the lack of engine sounds in previous Gran Turismo installments, most of the cars sound like another car but a tad changed, I really hope that in GT4, Polypony Digital actually has at least 85% of a real cars sound in the game. What do you think? :)

Reply.
Well, Its kinda hard to get that correct sound. the Microphone don't catch what our ears catch. You gotta know about it to explain it. its kinda hard.
 
They are very important to me. The Ferrari has an entirely different note than the Porsche does. Granted those are bad examples, but still you get the idea.

The throaty rumble of a Dodge V10, versus the melodic rumble of an Aston Martin V10.

Knowing the engine note, lets you know when to shift.

AO
 
I hope that the engine sounds are improved in GT4, but I won't expect anything good until GT5.
 
Decent engine sounds is vital for racing/driving games. Just as it is in real life. A car lacking a decent exaust or engine note might sound like a trivial complaint, but for the enthusiast, driving a car that is orally exciting to listen to is part of the whole driving experience. Take the BMW M3 CSL for example, that car is worth it's weight in gold just for the engine note allone.

Up to now I was fairly happy to what the GT series has offered, a DB7 sounds like it should, a Impreza has the same throbby flat four beat as the real thing and Civic type R screams to the redline just as it should. I can see where sUn comes from, many of the cars does sound the same, but so does it in real life, especially humdrum cars like a Renault Clio or Volkswagen Golf. I wouldn't be able to tell wich is wich just by listening to them. But I also agree with Darin, it's very difficult to encorporate the right sound using a microphone. When listening directly to an engine, one can focus on a particular sound coming from the engine, 'disect' the sound, and even feel the sound, wich is not possible using a microphone. Plus of course it depens where you are listening from.

From playing Prologue, the cars sound like their real counterparts convincingly enough to keep me happy.
 
I was happy with the sounds of GT3, but what I am concerned with are the sounds of the cars after you upgrade the exhaust. Most of the time the cars sounded completely different from what it should've sounded like. 👎
 
Der Alta
They are very important to me.

Couldn't agree more. Half of the experience when you drive a car is the sound it makes, tranny noises, engine sound and so on.. Of course I like PD to improve that, I especially miss the rumble of american V8:s I excpected to hear from i.e. the Esperante in GT3...
 
GTJugend
Couldn't agree more. Half of the experience when you drive a car is the sound it makes, tranny noises, engine sound and so on.. Of course I like PD to improve that, I especially miss the rumble of american V8:s I excpected to hear from i.e. the Esperante in GT3...
Also the Corvette C5R didn't sound like it had a 427 in it.
 
98cobra
Also the Corvette C5R didn't sound like it had a 427 in it.

Yup. Just listen to it in the FIA GT races and then compare to the sewingmachine noises (?) it makes in GT3.. Lame.
 
GTJugend
Yup. Just listen to it in the FIA GT races and then compare to the sewingmachine noises (?) it makes in GT3.. Lame.
Yep the C5R should sound somewhat like the GT-40. They both have 7 Liter V8s.
 
To me they are pretty important also. I don't want to a muscle car to sound like a little 4-banger. Plus, unique sounds are what make a car more unique from others.
 
Admittedly, I must admit NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 has much decent engine sounds then Gran Turismo 3, the muscle cars(Viper, Mustang) sound beasty, where the rockets like the Ferrari sound very nice. 👍
 
I think that most of the 4-bangers sounded accurate in GT3.
 
sUn
Admittedly, I must admit NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 has much decent engine sounds then Gran Turismo 3, the muscle cars(Viper, Mustang) sound beasty, where the rockets like the Ferrari sound very nice. 👍

I got NFSHP2 but never played it much.. mabye it's time to check it out to compare...
 
GTJugend
I got NFSHP2 but never played it much.. mabye it's time to check it out to compare...
Yes, indeed, you will notice the difference.
 
GTJugend
I got NFSHP2 but never played it much.. mabye it's time to check it out to compare...
Maybe it is time. Go check it out damnit.
 
Darin
Maybe it is time. Go check it out damnit.

Hell no.

I was waiting for the Dammit but not the Damnit. I will never play NFSHP2 again.
 
The noise means everything. Better yet, to put it in the words of of a poet:

They mean everything to me
Especially as I hit the mean street
It can be furocious and unforgiving

The true noise of the engine truly startles
Whether I'm racing it hard, or just tapping some throttles
False noises speak sounds, while the true speak volumes

So off with the noise things go, with me in that there car like a miserable sap
Soon to grow happy as the engine roars as I go through the lap
And, like I said, they mean everything the me.
 
jjboi
The noise means everything. Better yet, to put it in the words of of a poet:

They mean everything to me
Especially as I hit the mean street
It can be furocious and unforgiving

The true noise of the engine truly startles
Whether I'm racing it hard, or just tapping some throttles
False noises speak sounds, while the true speak volumes

So off with the noise things go, with me in that there car like a miserable sap
Soon to grow happy as the engine roars as I go through the lap
And, like I said, they mean everything the me.
Couldn't of said it better myself. :(
 
I think PD might get the sounds right this time. If not, it will be in GT5 for sure. 👍
 
Its not just engine sound either. i miss the fact that you can hear the spool up of a turbo and the blow off valve from the outside of the car. remember in gt2? now u have to be on the inside view to hear it.... and its sooo low. my most favorite sound is a blow off valve. the sound.... one of the most important thing in racing. sound tells alot to the driver and makes spectators happy. Do you agree?
 
Ah engine sounds are very important to me. It's not that hard to record em right Darin.. just listen to some real life video's, you can really hear the cars scream and rumble :)
I think there's not enough space on the DVD's for PS2, we'll probably have to wait till PS3 (blu-ray). :(
 
The engine sounds are pretty important to me. They really are a big part of the whole driving/playing exprerience.

In my opinion, GT3 had pretty bad sounds. All the cars sounded basically the same after an exhaust modification. And they aren´t just "deep" enough, if you know what I´m saying..

But, I was really happy about the sounds in the Prologue. They have been improved much. An M5 really sounds different than a Suzuki Cappucino :D The sounds in Prologue are good enough for me..
 
Correct me if i am wrong but i think KY somewhen said, that it´s hard to get the real car recordings into the game beacuse of too little memory not on the DVD but because of the PS2 memory. I think he also said, that real sounds finally will be possible with the PS3.
 
One thing I want polyphony to improve on is the idle engine sounds since some cars seem to lack it alltogether, being completely silent when idle. Like the Impreza wrx in prologue.
 
Bonsai
I think he also said, that real sounds finally will be possible with the PS3.

That is good news!
 
There's some engine sounds that were music to my ears in GT3, like the NSX type -R :) and Aston Martin Vanquish, but there were some :yuck: REALLY LAME :yuck: sounding cars, like the stock exhaust sound on the S13 and Trueno. The ZO6 didn't sound too much like a muscle car either. And I really think there could've been more sounds. But I guess it's just the limitations of either the DVD rom or the PS2.

sigh* :indiff: PS3........where art thou???
 
One big gripe I had with GT3 was the gear whine. It was overpowering and made all the cars sound like vacuum cleaners.

When you listen to race footage, it is audible and recognisable, but it doesnt overshadow the howling engines and blaring exhaust notes. I watched the Falken R34 vid on the nurb and the excessive gear whine is still present, and the engine and exhaust are still too dulled and distant sounding. The sounds of the engine and exhaust itself are very good though. They just need to find a way to make it shine through.

I guess with 500+ cars, it must be one hell of a job to get the right audio for all of them. You don`t just stick a microphone near the engine bay and exhaust pipes and call it a day. Lots of sound engineering (that I really don't know much about) goes into it once the raw data is accumulated, and I guess that's where other games get their brutal sounds.
 
kinigitt
One big gripe I had with GT3 was the gear whine. It was overpowering and made all the cars sound like vacuum cleaners.

When you listen to race footage, it is audible and recognisable, but it doesnt overshadow the howling engines and blaring exhaust notes. I watched the Falken R34 vid on the nurb and the excessive gear whine is still present, and the engine and exhaust are still too dulled and distant sounding. The sounds of the engine and exhaust itself are very good though. They just need to find a way to make it shine through.

I guess with 500+ cars, it must be one hell of a job to get the right audio for all of them. You don`t just stick a microphone near the engine bay and exhaust pipes and call it a day. Lots of sound engineering (that I really don't know much about) goes into it once the raw data is accumulated, and I guess that's where other games get their brutal sounds.

This is true. The gear whine is too loud. Which keep people from really hearing the engine noises. That's why a lot of people say cars sound the same. They don't it's just that gear whine that sounds the same. If you listen closely at the cars in GT3 you can hear each one's own sound. Especially if you've heard the car in real life. The Vanquish sound, for one, is very close to the real life sound. Viper and NSX are others that sound very close to real. There are plenty other I have heard that are close too. But, like you said that gear whine drowns them out. I think they just need change the volume of the noises and not overpower one or the other. Another noise they need to work on is the tire squeel. Not very accurate to me.
 
Back