Engine Sounds; What do they mean to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sUn
  • 83 comments
  • 4,933 views
Yeah the tire squeal was awful. Same pitch with every corner. I haven't heard it in any GT4 vids yet so I'm optimistic.

The gear whine isnt the sole culprit in GT3, some engines did sound completely different than in real life, and pretty much all of them lacked that full-bodied sound that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up.

Exceptions were the Pagani's Mercedes V12, the Vanquish' V12, all of the RUF cars, NSX, and others I can't recall.

I really want to hear the braaapp!! coming from a Subaru flat four. I found they got the "flat" part of the sound right in GT3, but little else.
 
Gearbox Whine, can quite easily dominate your hearing when in car.

I had an Escort Mexico Mk1 some years ago which for racing was stripped of sound proofing, had twin 45 webbers with trumpets, a 2inch bore exhaust, all of which made the engine sound like heaven and was loud as hell.
I later added a straight cut, racing gear box for competition, the bloody thing whined so load, it dominated your hearing, used to get out of the car with a ringing sensation in my ears, it was so whiney it completely drowned out the beautifull induction Roar, and exhaust tones.
 
GTXLR
Gearbox Whine, can quite easily dominate your hearing when in car.

I had an Escort Mexico Mk1 some years ago which for racing was stripped of sound proofing, had twin 45 webbers with trumpets, a 2inch bore exhaust, all of which made the engine sound like heaven and was loud as hell.
I later added a straight cut, racing gear box for competition, the bloody thing whined so load, it dominated your hearing, used to get out of the car with a ringing sensation in my ears, it was so whiney it completely drowned out the beautifull induction Roar, and exhaust tones.

Yeah, that's why they should have a distintive sound from different camera angles. IN car, you are sitting right next to the transmission tunnel, and without sound-deadening materials, that would indeed be deafening. But when the camera is behind the car you should hear the boom from the exhaust note, and when you're watching a replay, the sound should morph accordingly (induction roar from the front, suspension noises, tire screech, the chassis shuddering from impacts, wind resistance, etc.). As it is now, it sounds like a static sound effect being channeled out while the others are muted, or just switched on when nessessary, which makes it sound too much like a simple game. Immersion is key.
 
kinigitt
Yeah, that's why they should have a distintive sound from different camera angles. IN car, you are sitting right next to the transmission tunnel, and without sound-deadening materials, that would indeed be deafening. But when the camera is behind the car you should hear the boom from the exhaust note, and when you're watching a replay, the sound should morph accordingly (induction roar from the front, suspension noises, tire screech, the chassis shuddering from impacts, wind resistance, etc.). As it is now, it sounds like a static sound effect being channeled out while the others are muted, or just switched on when nessessary, which makes it sound too much like a simple game. Immersion is key.
Those are all great ideas, if only Polypony Digital could read them. 👍
 
sUn
Those are all great ideas, if only Polypony Digital could read them. 👍

I'm sure they've considered them and then some, but are daunted by time and ressource limitations to fully implement them.
 
Anyboy notice the lack of muscle car sound in most muscle cars in GT3? The Shelby Cobra was an exception, but when it got in high RPM's it kinda didn't sound muscle car style anymore.
 
sUn
Anyboy notice the lack of muscle car sound in most muscle cars in GT3? The Shelby Cobra was an exception, but when it got in high RPM's it kinda didn't sound muscle car style anymore.

the camaro, corvette, and mustang sounded terrible! :crazy:


GT2 had an awesome sound for the Challenger! I want that car back.
 
If anyone has GT4:P and have driven the Ford GT. That thing sounds amazing!!!! I wonder what it would sound like on a nice stereo system.
 
if you have a good sound system, try out the Pontiac Trans Am in PGR2, or the Morgan Aero 8, or any of the cars for that matter. Or even better, play the GTR demo with the Morgan Aero 8. It is orgasmic.
 
If ANYONE has been to any racing event, they'd no that racing cars and higher, sports-grade cars don't sound normal. A Geo passing you on the highway sounds regular and smooth, but even a bloody ride-on mower back-fires, spit, caughs, cracks and pops, not to mention the sounds of a racing car. Every single car in GT3 sounds bland and too smooth in the up-shifts and down. The ONLY car in GT3 I can think of that has any abnormal ascent in the RPM range was the Ford GT40. That one sound slightly like a racing car. I've had rides in all sorts of machines, and seen all sorts on machines racing, and let me tell you, none of them were smooooooth. The only one I can think of is the Renault F1 car (last year's), where everything was smooth as a baby's arse. Then take, for example, any F1 car that has a Cosworth lump in it. They are positively beastly. Especially on the down.

My point is, when PD recorded exhaust and engine bay sounds for GT4, they for sure won't get the right effects. My lawn mower sounds more raw than anything in GT3, so I REALLY hope something was done for GT4.
 
eliseracer
If ANYONE has been to any racing event, they'd no that racing cars and higher, sports-grade cars don't sound normal. A Geo passing you on the highway sounds regular and smooth, but even a bloody ride-on mower back-fires, spit, caughs, cracks and pops, not to mention the sounds of a racing car. Every single car in GT3 sounds bland and too smooth in the up-shifts and down. The ONLY car in GT3 I can think of that has any abnormal ascent in the RPM range was the Ford GT40. That one sound slightly like a racing car. I've had rides in all sorts of machines, and seen all sorts on machines racing, and let me tell you, none of them were smooooooth. The only one I can think of is the Renault F1 car (last year's), where everything was smooth as a baby's arse. Then take, for example, any F1 car that has a Cosworth lump in it. They are positively beastly. Especially on the down.

My point is, when PD recorded exhaust and engine bay sounds for GT4, they for sure won't get the right effects. My lawn mower sounds more raw than anything in GT3, so I REALLY hope something was done for GT4.

That's some brutal honesty for you. 👍

In real life, racecars sound ANGRY.
 
kinigitt
the camaro, corvette, and mustang sounded terrible! :crazy:


GT2 had an awesome sound for the Challenger! I want that car back.
That's how the Cobra R really sounds because of an Bassani X pipe and Borla mufflers. As far as the Camaro, it should've sounded more rumblier. Especially the Camaro racecar.
 
They need to have stock Mustang GT's then have the option of putting on Borla's or flowmasters. :drool:
 
kinigitt
That's some brutal honesty for you. 👍

In real life, racecars sound ANGRY.

I've stood in spitting distance from an F1 car at full acceleration. Literally 10 feet away. :crazy:
 
98cobra
Now we're talkin'. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Yep, I sat in a '03 GT with 5/spd, my gawd, it was stock but did that thing pull and sound good or what!

That's the stuff dreams are made of.
 
sUn
Yep, I sat in a '03 GT with 5/spd, my gawd, it was stock but did that thing pull and sound good or what!

That's the stuff dreams are made of.

I have a great sound clip from a 1953 BRM F1 car (1500cc supercharged V16; 600hp at 12,000 rpm!!!!), but nowhere to host. It sounds positively evil.

edit: didnt mean to quote, I just clicked the wrong box.
 
kinigitt
I have a great sound clip from a 1953 BRM F1 car (1500cc supercharged V16; 600hp at 12,000 rpm!!!!), but nowhere to host. It sounds positively evil.

edit: didnt mean to quote, I just clicked the wrong box.
V16. :drool: :drool: 600hp :drool:.
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I really think that engine sound really matter to me, but especially how the game and the game console can simulate the sound. I felt that GT3 sound wasnt very strong and wish it can actually take advantage of sound system! :O
I am sure that GT4 would be much better IF the sound from the game is more accurate and would actually USE and take advantage of a sound system, especially a SUBWOOFER! :O But at the same time I dont think its going to happen with the technolgy the PS2 have, but we I can assume PS3 will get it down when it comes out! :O
 
The Cobra at a VERY low RPM uses the sub quite a bit on my stereo, but many cars are just too bland or similar sounding.
 
i am ok with GT3 sound and GT4P sound improved already
 
I dont know about the rest of you, but i absolutely love the burbble that a WRX makes after an exhaust system has been put on it. They have it correct a tiny bit, but i wanna hear beefy engine tones from my cars.
 
Ask, and ye shall receive. Allow me to grace my view of this subject.

Unlike wheels or whether or not GT4 will have xxxxxxxx, every now and then, I want to listen to my car go down the track. If I have American muscle, I want to hear that bad boy rumble down the track, as only an American muscle fan wants. British sports cars have a nice sound to them, surely want some sweet sounds. And if I just want some metal from my favorite country of Japan, I'd surely want to hear a GT500 Toyota Supra take on the Nissan Skyline or Nissan 350Z/Fairlady Z GT500s. But there's a question to be asked. How can you get authentic quality from the car? For some, it's easy. For others, you have to take what you have and "estimate" what it would sound like. When I seen the old videos of the Fina McLaren F1 race around some of Prologue's tracks (I think they're disabled now), the car sounded like the Toyota GT-One from GT2, and the Jaguar ZJ220 from GT3. I think after playing "Need for Speed: High Stakes" on my PC, the McLaren (even though it's the street car version) is actually pretty loud. I think the McLaren's engine sounds pretty mean, while being loud at the same time. It's a doggoned F1 motor, of course.

I don't know if anyone else noticed this in Gran Turismo 3, but do you realize how some cars from a certain make have the same kind of sound to them? For example, hook up a Honda S2000 or NSX with a racing muffler, they sound the same! The Nissan Silvia S15 and Skyline GT-R V-Spec II have kind of the same sound with racing mufflers. I think that even though PD may not have access to actual car sounds from different mufflers, there will have to be some uniqueness to them. What's kind of a concern is that some of the World Rally cars kind of sound the same. I'm sure Darin will set me straight if I'm telling a lie about them, but you realize that they kind of sound the same once they zoom by?

So all in all, they don't really matter to me. I would like some nice sounds every now and then when I have no CD to listen to. So, there you go, pal. 👍
 
WRC cars spit, hiss and pop constantly. You also hear lots of chirping from the suspension mounts. They sound like rabid go karts. I love it.

In GT3, however, they sound like their street car variants, except even more bland. That was a let down. In fact, the entire rally portion of the game was a let-down, but that's another topic.
 
Sounds are very important in creating the realistic driving experience that Yamauchi always goes on about, but not fully delivers.

The main problems are the gear changing. and cars driving by at high revolutions

:grumpy:
 
good thread!
take for example colin mcrae 3 or 4 //
take wrc3
take EVEN rdige racer 6
and the sound of the cars sounds better sometimes...you can feel the rumor breaking the air
IN GT4 the things are getting better for sure
in the prologue u take the fair lady from the 60s or 70s i don't remeber and it sounds like a car from the 00s...
please do it better for us
in gt we trust
+ 👎
 
We already know that in the development of GT4, they incorporated extensive sound testing for each car. They took the motor through all of the RPMs, up, down, recorder at both engine bay and exhaust tips. This time, if you complain abou unrealistic sounds, they won't care because they ARE realistic. You don't get those irregularities (popping, banging) from a simple 0-x000RPM demonstration. Those irregularities come on full out racing, where the motor is coping to keep up with the extreme irregularities of the driver's inputs (same for exhaust flames). We won't see any of this.

PD must have felt so special when they had the glowing brake discs in previous installments of Gran Turismo, so why not have the rest of the game catch up in realism?

(not to mention that on your first lap, the brakes wouldn't glow)
 
kinigitt
In real life, racecars sound ANGRY and VERY LOUD.

http://www.digitalthunder.com/pantera/eurocar/gt40.wav

edit:

I dont know why it double-posted, but here are some more cool links:

thunder alley

BMW world

exhaust clips

Excellent links. 👍 Especially this one! http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/65bcobra.htm


The sound of the tires and of the engines are the two things I'm looking forward to experiencing the most in GT4. Well, to clarify, I'm hoping they have been changed SIGNIFICANTLY from the previous versions. Sound is one of the few things you will experience 100% of the time in the game, and it's been a shame to have it fall so short up till now. With all the press GT4 has made about recording each car from various locations, I'm expecting quite a lot from the final product. I'm hoping my expectations are not misplaced.

To go one step further, I would love to have modifications have a direct impact on the sound as well. If I go from a stock car, to one with race mufflers and gutted (or even removed) catalytic converters, then I should damn well be able to hear a difference. It would be stunning to go as far as have a choice of muffler brands, all of which have their own tone (just like reality). Since they can't even get a constant sound correct, I don't expect this to happen this time around, but perhaps in the future. Sound ranks up high on my list of priorites. 👍
 
No idea how rockstars midnight club 2 or some game of that caliber at least has appropiate sounds for each car, such as the motorcylce, muscle car, etc. But then the geniouses over at PD cant seem to get anything throatier than a microwave oven on their cars! :dunce:
 
Back