Engine Sounds; What do they mean to you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sUn
  • 83 comments
  • 4,933 views
The Engine Sound is one of the things I like about GT4. Therefore, it is very important to me. Like in real life, i would like to hear the sound coming out from my car too.
 
When it comes to engine sounds, I guess some cars have some rather unique sounds that can't be taken away or modified to some sounds game designers "guessed" at the engine sound. With that JMB Giesse Ferrari in "Le Mans 24 Hours," you can imagine how I felt when my favorite sportscar, the Ferrari 333SP, to sound like the F1 car. I was p*ssed off. I guess as a consolation, the sound for the Audis in the game should have been used for that Ferrari. But I'll take the sounds for the Audis even though they weren't accurate. I don't know if any video game has been successful at capturing the sounds of an American V6 or V8. If you know any, plead your case and I just might hush my yap. I think if you have racing mufflers, obviously your car will sound different. Before complaining about "ricer" mufflers, no matter what setup you get with a car (even if it is a tuner mod), you will have a different sound. If you want to mod a Corvette with a racing muffler, you'll obviously get a meaner exhaust note. And no matter what kind of car you have, the engine sound should be at least remotely different from the normal configuation. Don't do like GT3 whereas things sound the same. So, I wouldn't want to hook up an S2000 with a racing muffler just to have one sounding like the GT3 sound. You know, I want something unique. Something out of the ordinary. Something from that specific manufacturer. Don't make it sound like other cars. The noise from an Aston Martin DB7 should be different from a Ferrari 360 Modena. Those Australian V8s should have a mean sound like in "Pro Race Driver." And if you bring a Ford Falcon into GT4, you HAVE to include Holden to take a rivalry digital. All I'm saying is that with a lot of cars, you won't have to try to match each one exactly in sound, but do just enough so that too many cars don't sound the same all the time. If you make that error, a works Mini Cooper will sound like a Ferrari. A Corvette will sound like a vaccum. A Formula One race car will sound like a bunch of generators at a power plant. While I don't let little unnoticeables judge whether a game is good or not, at least the sounds shouldn't be a fussbudget.
 
JohnBM01
the McLaren (even though it's the street car version) is actually pretty loud. I think the McLaren's engine sounds pretty mean, while being loud at the same time. It's a doggoned F1 motor, of course.


John,

Since when has the engine in the McLaren F1 been an F1 engine? it's about twice the size and has two extra cylinders when compared to any of the current or recent F1 engines, and sounds absolutely nothing like them....

Paul.
 
JohnBM01
I don't know if any video game has been successful at capturing the sounds of an American V6 or V8. If you know any, plead your case and I just might hush my yap. QUOTE]

for a nice american V8 sound, check out MCO!

PGR2 has very good V8 rumbles in the american muscle series

hell, even GTA vice city had some memorable engine notes (sabre, sabre turbo, cuban hermes)
 
the problem is not to record a great car sound, the problem is to generate it in a game engine :(

the car sounds from gt series are made with all different sounds together.
Sounds that are noting more then a beep or someting like that..

so it's very difficult to make all the cars sound different..
I mean they don't store 4gb sound files on the GT disk with a sound file for every car :|


and to answer your question :) I rather have super sound then super graphics allright both together is perfect of course.
 
kinigitt
JohnBM01
I don't know if any video game has been successful at capturing the sounds of an American V6 or V8. If you know any, plead your case and I just might hush my yap. QUOTE]

for a nice american V8 sound, check out MCO!

PGR2 has very good V8 rumbles in the american muscle series

hell, even GTA vice city had some memorable engine notes (sabre, sabre turbo, cuban hermes)
Yep. I know what you mean.
 
Engine sounds make up a lot of the game for me, owning 2 RX-7s I notice a very different sound, and the 787b isn't what it should be either(GT3). Hope its good this time around.
 
I agree with everyone that engine sounds is one of the most important aspect of a car game or sim- and i do understand how hard it is incorporate the many difrent sound effects in to a car sim.

yep that gear whine was 2 loud, and i think no-one spoke out about this but the lack of the TURBO WHINE , you could only just about hear a very large turbo with out fitting in a racing gearbox in gt3.
though i think in gt4p the engine sounds have been improved alot, with the gearwhining and the engine straining on the powerful motors at the high rpms, and the presence of that turbowhine.
i so hope there will be some nice dump valve sounds in gt4
 
I wouls say not only the engine sound matters, but the whole machinery that works in a car, especially in racing cars. Just listen to GTR movies or play a GTR demo yourself. Orgasmic indeed :)
 
I do have Vice City, and the roar of the cars are pretty nice (when it comes to the performance cars, and the Freeway and Angel bikes). But as an American, it's an alright sound in GT games. I don't really know the GT40's sound, but it sounds pretty silent in GTs 2 and 3. No agressive roar, or at least it's kind of quiet. Or maybe I have a little Americana in me wanting to hear the roar of an American engine from a performance car. But yeah, "GTA: Vice City" does have some nice engine sounds from the performance cars. And since it's pro-American, you know what you're getting. So while you command Tommy Vercetti in running away from the cops while calling them "badge-wearing fruits," check out some of the engine sounds. Got me? Now go make it happen!
 
JohnBM01
I don't really know the GT40's sound, but it sounds pretty silent in GTs 2 and 3. No agressive roar, or at least it's kind of quiet.

Turn up the volume!!! :lol:
 
I also hope the engine sounds are better in GT4. I played GT4P and some of the cars sound excellent like if you use the inside view of the Delta it sounds like a muscle car when revved up and down! It will take a little while to DL but it worth it to hear this exhaust from GT4P. Right Click Save Target As
The Teal colored Woodone Toms Supra also sounds like pure muscle but you have to be in the outside view of the car.
I notice the cars in SRS sound pretty good too. Nice and throaty. I do like the option mentioned above about the Flowmasters or Borla exhaust too.
 
CAMAROBOY69
I also hope the engine sounds are better in GT4. I played GT4P and some of the cars sound excellent like if you use the inside view of the Delta it sounds like a muscle car when revved up and down! It will take a little while to DL but it worth it to hear this exhaust from GT4P. Right Click Save Target As
The Teal colored Woodone Toms Supra also sounds like pure muscle but you have to be in the outside view of the car.
I notice the cars in SRS sound pretty good too. Nice and throaty. I do like the option mentioned above about the Flowmasters or Borla exhaust too.
Sounds very realistic.
 
From what I've read/seen, GT4 looks great...but sound - not music - is VERY important to me.
 
Well the good news is that the game will support Dolby Pro LogicII and that is awesome!

Now we can turn up our subwoofers and let the muscle cars (or the Delta & the supra of GT4P) rumble :dopey:

I cannot wait for that, since sound IS as important as what you see!
 
Aesop Rock
Engine sounds make up a lot of the game for me, owning 2 RX-7s I notice a very different sound, and the 787b isn't what it should be either(GT3). Hope its good this time around.

Actually the sound used for the 787b in GT3 is pretty close to the real thing especially at idle. 787b at full throttle I think PD might have changed the engine sound if you watch the video in CobraGT's thread now it sounds just like the Mclaren and Toyota GT ONE. They better change it back :mad: :D
 
Thanks for that link!

I use these kind of wav. files to start up my computer (like the ferrari laptop has)
 
Engine sounds are extremely important to me. In GT, they have never been able to get a V8 sound realistically. IRL, when a 5.0L Mustang puts it to the floor, it produces an incredible Wham. In GT, even the SVT Cobra R does sound like an I4 with a cold air intake, not like a real big block engine. This is an aspect I hope will be corrected in GT4.

See ya :sly:
 
Lambo88
Engine sounds are extremely important to me. In GT, they have never been able to get a V8 sound realistically. IRL, when a 5.0L Mustang puts it to the floor, it produces an incredible Wham. In GT, even the SVT Cobra R does sound like an I4 with a cold air intake, not like a real big block engine. This is an aspect I hope will be corrected in GT4.

See ya :sly:
The SVT Cobra R sounds like that because it has a Bassani X pipe and Borla mufflers, that's why it doesn't have that Wham sound. But if GT4 will let you customize your exhaust by putting on an off-road h pipe with some 2 chamber Flowmasters, that'll give you more than enough umpfh. :drool:
 
forget WHAM (I didnt mean the crappy eighties band... actually, you should forget about them too), that would give you a SHAZAAAM!

I want to hear the volkswagen VR6 fully represented in GT4. First off, because I have one, second, because IMO they are some of the sweetest sounding cars on the street.
 
I don't know why this tread stopped long before the actual GT4 was released.

So how are you ppl satisfied with the sound in GT4? Does it make it for you?
 
the engine sounds in gt4 mean i dont drive most mazdas anymore and can only buy stage 1 exhaust for all my many hondas. i know its extreamly hard to get all the data but i think each car should have 3 tones per exhaust (12 per car) and that there should also be tones for when a car has problems such as its been damaged or the engine isnt working right.

in gt4 the sounds are better then ever before though and that i am thankfull for.
 
I wonder if anyone of you complainers have ever thought that the sounds in GT4 might be just right and the Need For Speeds and others are wrong? That's the case in many other aspects of the game (driving physics etc.) :p
 
Greycap
I wonder if anyone of you complainers have ever thought that the sounds in GT4 might be just right and the Need For Speeds and others are wrong? That's the case in many other aspects of the game (driving physics etc.) :p


Trust me need for speed sounds are so much more realistic hearing the turbo blow and listenin to the engine roar i love it. GT4 sounds dont scream and the are a couple of cars that Are ok but most of the sounds are not exact because, a couple of the nissan sounds that were in GT3 were moved to some of the toyatas in gt4 and the AUDI R8 and the other lemans cars dont sound nothin like that in real life, they are too darn quiet. 👎
 
Back