• Thread starter Famine
  • 115 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
In a dull moment (well, a dull 5 hours), I strapped together a prototype GT4 Car Database. Every car I have thus far encountered is contained within, with power figures (converted to horsepower from PS), mass figures and power-to-weight ratios (real ones - power divided by mass in tonnes (1000kg) gives horsepower-per-tonne. The higher the better) for the stock car as it arrives in your garage (no tinkering at all).

All of the dealer-purchaseable and used car numbers are now all correct. The only ones missing are those present at a dealer but not purchaseable. Any which have Prize Car duplicates noted on the list (by a big red P next to the name) does have accurate numbers, but there aren't so many of them, I'm afraid.

The figures for maximum tuned spec are also not yet available, but will be filled in as time progresses.

This brings me on to another point. Whilst constructing the database, I noticed a few cars with no value for power, or weight, or drivetrain, or any combination of the three.

PD - SORT IT OUT! Clearly you HAVE programmed in all three of these values for every car, otherwise you would not be able to simulate any of the behaviour of the car. Why input these values and NOT TELL US WHAT THEY ARE?

While you're at it, quit the false-reporting of power too. WE get it that there was a "Gentleman's Agreement" limiting cars to 280PS. We also know that it was complete codswallop and the cars have been running in excess of this for years. Most importantly, we don't care. We just want to know what the power of our cars in the game are. On the face of it, the 280PS RX-7 seems a better choice than the 280PS Evolution VIII, because it's lighter. But the 280PS EvoVIII really has more than 300PS and actually has a better PWR than the RX-7.

Anyway, the file. Hope it helps people - and remember it isn't complete. I'll periodically bump the thread with each update.

File is Excel format, once unzipped.

Edit: Update 27/4/06 - File modified to reflect full PAL car list. Hidden G column includes GT4-style weight-to-power ratios. Laptimes for B-Spec/Trial Mountain being added.

Edit: Update 14/5/06 - Added NTSC/NA version from cybrstuff (second file below)

Edit: Update 8/6/06 - PAL version updated with all B-Spec/Trial Mountain times. Latest version of cybrstuff's file added.

Attachments

• gt4carlistPAL.zip
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • GT4 Car Database v2.zip
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,540
Nice work Famine, and I'm glad to be able to tell you that it has NOT already been done. Sure jkrobby created a car database but yours is superior in two ways:
  1. Includes weights of each car
  2. Is in Excel so is easier to sort or otherwise process
I bought a Spec C to check the PS values:
Code:
Impreza WRX STi SpecC '04
--------------------------
Dealership            280
Garage                326
+Oil Change           343
What is the conversion from HP to PS?

Do you know what the formula is to figure out the power after an oil change? 5% increase for all cars?

RallyRacingFan
Nice work Famine, and I'm glad to be able to tell you that it has NOT already been done. Sure jkrobby created a car database but yours is superior in two ways:
  1. Includes weights of each car
  2. Is in Excel so is easier to sort or otherwise process
I bought a Spec C to check the PS values:
Code:
Impreza WRX STi SpecC '04
Dealership            280
Garage                326
+Oil Change           343
What is the conversion from HP to PS?

Do you know what the formula is to figure out the power after an oil change? 5% increase for all cars?

Yes - that's what I was worried about.

I know the SpecC in real life has 320hp - it, the unofficial UK Type 25 and the official UK WR1 all have the same power output. But I cannot yet afford the cars in GT4 to confirm the actual power output, just the garage power. When I can get my hands on an NTSC/J GT3 gamesave I can work through and recalculate.

It seems the oil change conversion is again *1.05 (a 5% increase) from base power. Interesting.

The conversion factor from PS to hp is *0.986. Obviously the reverse conversion is /0.986 :D

I'll have you people know I've only so far done the first FIVE licences on GT4, because I've been doing this... :D Yes, they're all gold, but that's not hard... :D

I'm also working on an HTML and Excel Used Car lot(s). It seems to be based upon a 10 day cycle again. The main Excel file also contains all of the Arcade Cars and all of the tracks (updating as new ones appear), and a random track/car generator so you can come up with 2-player races... :D

Now someone just needs to combine both, Famines and Jkrobbys lists into one ultimate list. Good work though Famine, keep it up.

I've found in previous GTs, the cars in the 'showroom' would have the stated 276 hp 'limit' and incomplete statistics, but once I bought or won them and they were in my garage, I could find out the true statistics that way. I would hazard a guess that it's the same way in GT4.

There already IS a power-to-weight ratio. In hp/tonne.

Grat job on this Famine, I'll continue to download the updates :).

On the 280PS thing, doesn't Japan have a maximum PS rating that dealerships can market cars at? I heard somewhere that if the car is over ?80PS (stock) then it can't be sold. As a result, Nissan and other manufacturers advertise their cars to be right at that limit. Maybe in pursuit of realism, PD is also replicating the marketing rules?

Any thoughts?

*gasp* A MISTAKE!!! OMFG!!!

Just kidding.. hehe. It was a typo, nothing more. The Jag S-type magically had over 700hp/tonne.. you put "*" into the equasion rather than "/". :)

Neat little list.. Excel does make it easier all 'round (for example, I was able to fix that little typo in seconds without having to do any extra math or anything).

SchuberT
Grat job on this Famine, I'll continue to download the updates :).

On the 280PS thing, doesn't Japan have a maximum PS rating that dealerships can market cars at? I heard somewhere that if the car is over ?80PS (stock) then it can't be sold. As a result, Nissan and other manufacturers advertise their cars to be right at that limit. Maybe in pursuit of realism, PD is also replicating the marketing rules?

Any thoughts?

That's just it. We KNOW now (it was never a "rule", just a "Gentleman's Agreement", with the intent to stop a costly power-race). Mitsubishi sell 350hp and 400hp versions of their EvoVIII - and they aren't bothering to say "280PS". Hell, they're even called "FQ-350" and "FQ-400"...

It serves no useful purpose for the gamer, or the idiot trying to make a reliable database. In fact it can be detrimental, when someone buys a "280PS" car believing it to have a better PWR than another "280PS" car, only to find that neither actually HAS 280PS and he was wrong...

Jedi2016 - Don't look at the Preludes then... :D

*updated for Day 10 Used Car lots*

It's fixed in the new one (although the Jag one might not be... It's nearl 11pm here... give me a break... :D). It seems that the Used Car lots have a 10 day cycle, although it's a little confusing given the game days...

On day 1 you have your Used car garages. After your Home shows that 9 days have passed (Day 1 plus 8 events - B1-B8 in my case... all gold, natch), the Used car garages change. It ought to change again after 19 days have passed... I'll let you know :D

The HTML browsable Used Car lots is going well so far. :D

In whatever way makes you happiest.

Look at it this way. You need an "x" car for "x" championship. You don't have an "x" car, so must buy one. Which one of the many "x" cars is quickest?

What do you do? Guess? Go through each one of the many "x" cars and waste hours of gaming time looking up their stats? Or have an easy-to-use Excel reference on your computer you can consult and pick your car in seconds.

Hence the thread title... "Wondering what car to buy? Try the GT4 Car Database".

It's simple, really.

Famine,

Would you mind if I used the Stock Mass values from your spreadsheet to compute the power-to-weight ratio on my HTML quick reference guide? I do not have a copy of the game, so I had no way to get those figures.

I'll see what I can do about getting a few more data points so we can confirm the 5% for an oil change theory also I'll try some other 280ps cars to see what their true values are. Although last time I tried this I ended up accidentally saving somehow and now I have two identical WRX SpecC cars. Hopefully this time I can buy without saving.

jkrobby - knock yourself out. They're freely available values and I only copied them from the game myself... :D

RallyRacingFan - it does seem as if it's +5% from the base engine power, but the base engine power is measured to at least 1 decimal place again, thus giving a mild margin of error on the whole numbers to no decimal places...

great job!

maybe a question or suggestion of some sort. Is it possible to mark used cars, that are special (those, that show once and then not again)? In fact, are there any that sort of cars?

And is the list of used cars the same allways?

phantompower
I wouldn't call one superior to the other...to me, they are both great efforts and compliment each other nicely.
My apologies to jkrobby. His database is also a massive effort, is certainly a great contribution to gtplanet and was the first database available.

I discovered that anytime I buy a car I am forced to save so I limited this initial test to Subaru and only the cars I could afford. The first line for each car is the peak power in PS and the second line is the peak torque in kgf.m. The rpm numbers at the end of each line show the rpm that the peak power and torque are made at. I have shown the values as they appear in the car showroom (Shop), as they appear in your garage after you buy them (Garage) and again what you see in your garage after you do an oil change (Oil).
Code:
                                      Shop  Garage  Oil     rpm
Legacy B4 3.0R '03                    250    250    262     6600
   1460kg                             31     31     32.57   4200

Legacy Touring Wagon 3.0R '03         250    250    262     6600
   1480kg                             31     31     32.57   4200

Impreza WRX STi '02                   280    315    331     6000
   1440kg                             40.20  45.09  47.34   4400

Impreza WRX STi SpecC '04             280    326    343     6400
   1370kg                             42     46.98  49.33   ????

Legacy B4 2.0GT '03                   280    282    296     6400
   1410kg                             35     34.99  36.74   2400

Legacy B4 2.0GT SpecB '03             280    282    296     6400
   1430kg                             35     35.34  37.11   2400

Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT '03        280    282    296     6400
   1430kg                             35     34.99  36.74   2400 

Legacy Touring Wagon 2.0GT SpecB '03  280    282    296     6400
   1450kg                             35     35.34  37.11   2400

360 '58                               16     16     16      4500
    385kg                             ??     2.99   3.14    3000

Renault 5 Turbo '80                   162    162    170     6000
    970kg                             22.5   21.39  22.46   3250
If you import this into Excel and do the math you will discover that changing the oil results in a 5% boost in peak power and torque although in come cases (Impreza WRX STi SpecC '04) it is rounded up and in others (360 '58) it is rounded down. Lastly I also modded out a WRX SpecC and found that peak modded power was 526PS however I failed to check the effect the mods had on the torque and also don't know what rpm this power is made at.

You'd think I could just fire up GT4 and check the missing values but my TV died the day I got GT4 so I had to make these notes at my girlfriend's house and now I am home.

Some Mod testing on the Impreza WRX STi SpecC '04:
Code:
                                     |    Exhaust    | Intercooler |       Turbo
           Oil  Chip  Ports  Balance | SP   SR   RC  |  SP   RC    |  1    2    3    4
WRX SpecC  343  357   367    381     | 399  410  417 |  435  442   | 460  492  526  N/A
I added the items to the car from left to right so 526 is the peak power for a WRX SpecC with every power mod including oil change. Obviously I'll need to do quite a bit more testing here but at least mods don't get saved so you can reset the PS2 and recover the money.

If you turn the AutoSave feature off, you'll be okay - go to Options, the "Other Options" at the bottom then set the last thing to "Off" instead of "On", and it'll stop Autosaving.

For some reason, the 10m credit transfer worked today - although it said I have no GT4:P data on the card in Slot 2 (no idea why) - so I've now got accurate power ratings for all sub 11,000,000cr cars. Thanks for the effort though :D

vipersan - Used cars are marked. "Legend" cars are also marked (those available in dealerships from the second option - its caption reads "Legend Cars"). The list of used cars changes every 10th day (note not every 10th game day - it changes on 10th April, then 20th April, then 30th April and so on, but the game starts on the 2nd April). However, I'm merely marking out ALL of the available used cars for each manufacturer. I am putting together an HTML file for what cars are available when, and will pick out rare cars/colours within that. An Excel file with all that in would contain about 70 sheets...

(file not updated yet - I'm doing DIY at the moment)

Back