Prius Mileage on the 'ring :)

CURRENT RECORD:
02' Prius--.04 gallons
03' Prius--.045 gallons

As of April 9, 2005:
Ever since I got GT4 last month, I've been trying to get the best gas mileage out of my Prius (the 2004's we have here in the U.S.) on the Nurburgring. The first time I tried to get the best gas mileage was when I focused more on finishing the lap rather than saving gas. At the end of that lap I used .746 gallons.

Then, a while ago, someone told me they used as little as .677 gallons.

So back to the drawing board. I got back on track (literally) and realized that in order to use as little gas as possible, I'd use the engine under certain conditions: the engine is to be used only when needed (like when it charges the battery on its own) and whenever the car needs the power to go over a hill, even it it was at 5 miles per hour.

For a little while I was surprised that the battery didn't start to drain until halfway around the track. I used as little battery power as possible simutaneously, crawling rarely over 40 miles per hour. Then, when the roads went downhill, I'd coast up to 60. Heck, I once hit 80 doing that. It was only on the uphills that I used the battery power. It didn't matter if the car slowed down; all I wanted to do was go forward and not stop.

After about a mile more or so, the second "bar" on the battery indicator stopped illuminating and just a couple minutes after that the engine started recharging the battery. "Uh oh," I thought. The fuel consumption meter, which stayed at a nice .003 beforehand, went up dramatically. By the time the battery was sufficiently recharged, I had used about .06 gallons of gas. Again, I'd use as little as possible.

Since the battery rarely stayed above 6/8ths, I had to get enough power to coast over the smaller hills so that the motor didn't have to recharge the battery as often. After about ten minutes, the motor recharged a total of three times, and once again charged on the long straightaway near the end of the track.

Long story short, I did one full lap of the Nurburgring using only .193 gallons of gas. My time sufffered, though, since it took me 14.27.314 (14 minutes, 27.314 seconds) to do so. It's now my personal record, and so I ask you this: How little gas have you used if you ever drove a Prius on the 'ring?

Who knew that saving gas could be fun? 👍

First off, you are crazy... secondly, this is the sort of thing that the people at Toyota will love... I might give it a bash later! In GT4 Prologue, there was a license test based on the Prius' fuel economy, where you had to do a lap of Tsukuba under a certain time, but with a limited amount of gas... was very tricky, but it taught you that you don't need to floor the gas to do certain sections of the circuit, so I think doing the 'Ring like this could be very interesting... even if it takes 14 and a half minutes a lap!

surok
Last edited by surok : Today at 11:25 AM. Reason: speeling,

:lol: nice one... 👍

typhoon
I guess you pit after one lap?
Although the gas fill-up doesn't give you the fuel to 3 decimal places?!?

The prius has special gauges. Not only it hasn't got a rev-meter, it has got a meter to see exactly (x,xxx) how much fuel you used, and it's got a nice display, showing that you're eiter driving on the battery or on the engine. You should try it 👍

I was going to avoid buying anything environmentally friendly... but I gotta see this.

edit- I forgot. I bought that 1 Series diesel. :dunce:

0.193 gallons is 0.730 litres. i just did it in 17:29.769 and used 525cc of gas. i guess that is supposed to be 0.525 litres or 0.138 gallons.

the measures seem to be a little screwed when you set it to km's. the usage indicator says i am using like 5 km/l when i go slow but 20 km/l when i go fast, so when i go fast i save fuel? cool... but i guess they mean l/km.

JayP
I was going to avoid buying anything environmentally friendly... but I gotta see this.

edit- I forgot. I bought that 1 Series diesel. :dunce:

A Diesel engine is not friendly to the environment, one gallon of Diesel spreads much more CO2 to the atmosfere than a gallon of petrol. That is why all hybrid cars have a petrol engine and not a Diesel one.

I have a technical video of the Prius and Toyota states that you launch less 1 ton of CO2 per year in the Prius compared to a Diesel car with the same consuption.

daggoth
A Diesel engine is not friendly to the environment, one gallon of Diesel spreads much more CO2 to the atmosfere than a gallon of petrol. That is why all hybrid cars have a petrol engine and not a Diesel one.

I have a technical video of the Prius and Toyota states that you launch less 1 ton of CO2 per year in the Prius compared to a Diesel car with the same consuption.

A little off topic, but a modern diesel engine is reasonably clean, and will do a damn site more miles per gallon than the average petrol car.

On topic:

I had a go in the prius before and was shocked to see it had all the right displays :scared: . I got a bit bored and used more fuel than concorde on a 3 hour flight.

Anyone know if the Insight has a similar display? I can't be bothered to buy one... It should technically be more efficient than the Prius(es, don't forget the 02 model, too).

If i'm drving this car for 3 hours, will the fuel run out or what???? i mean snice they didn't said how much fuel do you have it left.....

EDIT: i'm just trying to see what happen if i run out of battery, so it cause you VERY slow, at frist lap i have about full battery, but untill a little after 2nd lap, i used my all battery and i was 23 sec faster than before in half lap, However, my battery is all gone and now i'm 53 sec SLOWER when finsih 2nd lap

PunkRock
Anyone know if the Insight has a similar display? I can't be bothered to buy one... It should technically be more efficient than the Prius(es, don't forget the 02 model, too).

I took it on an Arcade test drive (bought it in GT, didn't get in, backed out to Arcade & tried it) and it didn't have any interesting display. It was just slow, so I reset & reloaded... :)

CrackHoor
I took it on an Arcade test drive (bought it in GT, didn't get in, backed out to Arcade & tried it) and it didn't have any interesting display. It was just slow, so I reset & reloaded... :)

well it did, but you'll need to go Practing (pay cr 5) and i'm sure it did, like mine, right now, it's bit crazy

Well I found myself bored this mornin and decided to give it a whirl myself I ran the ring for a lap took me 21'34.840 only using 0.092 gallons. I probably could have used less if i turned asm/tcs and all that crap off some curves i found the tires slipping and tcs would slow me down :(. I also couldn't figure out why the battery started recharging after using only 2 bars couldn't keep it from chargin even on the downhill. I kinda cheated in a way I fully tuned the car except for the racing tranny I figured more hp would require less effort to get it up the hills if the battery couldn't do it, I lowered the car completely to minimize wind resistance, and I also gave it the stage 3 weight reduction to ease the work of the battery. I may tune it again later if i see someone run less than 0.092 gallons just outta curiousty if i could have done better

:( I am sorry for the confusion since I forgot to tell you how I got this result:

1) I did not do a race. I went on the Nurburgring as a Photo Drive in my spare time.

2) I have the North American version of the game, and on the screen while driving, there is one gauge that shows fuel economy (0.0 to 99.9 MPG, the number written as blue) and how much gas used (the amber number on the far right.) I assumed most of you guys have driven a Prius in the game already. Guess not.

And, yes, the gallon indicator goes to three digits. This is not to be confused with the MPG reading, which is totally seperate.

(Speaking of that, I'll edit my signature so others don't get confused as well).

Edit: Whoops, didn't read the rest of the thread before I replied. I guess this is just repeating what others have said already. :)

Yea I did it in photomode also however I chose not to pit I stayed on the track when nearing the end of the lap fearing that the ai-pit road driver would mash the throttle and waste more precious fuel before crossing the line.

Timothy
The prius has special gauges. Not only it hasn't got a rev-meter, it has got a meter to see exactly (x,xxx) how much fuel you used, and it's got a nice display, showing that you're eiter driving on the battery or on the engine. You should try it 👍

Cool, I might buy one now. :dopey: Already was wondering why they put a environmental friendly car in the game.

Oh yea I forgot to mention the standard gt4 guages appear if you do install the full racing transmission and it doesnt show if your using the battery. It pretty much makes it like the other cars in gt4 if installed.

the honda insight does not have such a display...

just did the ring in 8:05 minutes on 0.115 gallons.

edit: its 18:05 of course. :crazy:

vladimir
the honda insight does not have such a display...

just did the ring in 8:05 minutes on 0.115 gallons.

edit: its 18:05 of course. :crazy:

I tried the Nurburgring again in my Prius G Touring with lowered suspension and ultra hard tires to save the most gas. I finished in 16'09'123 using only .113 gallons. With a little fine tuning in my driving skills I bet that I can use less than .1 easy.

It would be funny to see how bad people's gas mileage has been. It's common to use more than one gallon when pushing it hard (at least for me anyways)

My next experiment: While using B-spec on the photo drive mode, I'll see how much gas my driver saves with it set on 1 as opposed to 2, 3, 4 and 5 (by viewing the replay with all display options turned on). I'll do it later though.

gsavill90
Its an automatic, so if you just leave it, it will crawl. That would give you good fuel economy, at 4 mph.

Automatics ruin fuel economy, it should be better to drive in manual (it would be in real life, dunno if it's been mapped to GT4 properly)

If you would let your car run out of gas, it will still go right?

pretty nice that GT created cars that run on air :sly:

you would get crappy laptimes, but damn, good economy

DuefoMachine
Automatics ruin fuel economy, it should be better to drive in manual (it would be in real life, dunno if it's been mapped to GT4 properly)

First of all, it's a CVT, which gets better gas mileage than an automatic. Second of all, the Prius cannot be had with a manual in the game or in real life (unless you buy a transmission).

Third of all, I just followed the advice of a previous replier and "drove" the Prius at 4MPH all the way around the track. In the end, I did an entire lap using .081 gallons in 48'14'387! By the time I reached the large straightaway I got tired of just sitting there and drove the rest of the way with the electric motor and sometimes the gasoline motor. If I kept crawling I bet you could finish the track with using just .002 gallons. Gosh, and to think I was proud of .193 this morning...

You guys are nuts....ever think of doing a direct competition, in the Online Racing Section? This could be really cool if organized properly...:D

Back