Prius Mileage on the 'ring :)

cultfreak69
if you mod the car the diplay chnges to normal GT4 style.

I modded one, not sure if it was the used previous generation one or a new one, but I did everything but the trans (I wanted to keep the CVT) and it did not change the display...

Also you cannot put nitrous on the Prius...

Has anyone tried different tires? I wonder if it gets better milage with N1s vs. S tires. Also I wonder if drafting another car in 2 player would improve milage.

It would be cool if PD had included some sort of economy challenge to show off this feature of the game. Perhaps one lap on various tracks with the trophy going to the highest MPG instead of best time. I'm sure it was a bit of work to add this feature for one car, and I bet a lot of people totally miss it because as a sports car the Prius has very little potential...

Epinionator89
First of all, it's a CVT, which gets better gas mileage than an automatic. Second of all, the Prius cannot be had with a manual in the game or in real life (unless you buy a transmission).

Third of all, I just followed the advice of a previous replier and "drove" the Prius at 4MPH all the way around the track. In the end, I did an entire lap using .081 gallons in 48'14'387! By the time I reached the large straightaway I got tired of just sitting there and drove the rest of the way with the electric motor and sometimes the gasoline motor. If I kept crawling I bet you could finish the track with using just .002 gallons. Gosh, and to think I was proud of .193 this morning...

Okay, not actually too familiar with the Prius (in the game or in real life!) and didn't know it had a continuous variable transmission all I know is that automatics perform worse than manuals as a general rule.

Congrats on the fuel economy, although it's a shame you gave up on the straight after 40 odd minutes of crawling, just because it would be nice to know what the absolute limit is.

Hrmmm I think I could get my prius down to using only 0.082 gallons at the ring get the supersoft tires turn off the asm and tcs I fell just short of your goal but taking 20 mins less time. Looks like another lap for me

i tried the honda insight unmodded (except for n2 tyres and oil change) and it did not have such a display like the prius.

48 minutes round the ring? wow, that is really mad. but i fear its not worth the 0.040 of a gallon. :crazy:

this is the best thread ever, totally ignoring what GT is all about, and going for fuel economy bragging rights. hahahah lmfao.

surok
this is the best thread ever, totally ignoring what GT is all about, and going for fuel economy bragging rights. hahahah lmfao.

Thanks :D:tup: Hopefully I'm going to do the same tests for the original Prius as well (only it uses gas every time I hit the accerlerator) and post them here eventually.

Jetboys427
You guys are nuts....ever think of doing a direct competition, in the Online Racing Section? This could be really cool if organized properly...:D

I have an idea for an OLR. See who can drive the farthest on an entire tank of gas with the Prius. You should be able to do it on a track meet. Whenever the computer takes control of the car to pit, record the miles. Note that you will need a brand new car or record the mileage beforehand, since GT4 doesn't include a tripmeter.

Damn...people one-sitting 24 hour races is one thing...Crawling around Nurburgring at 4mph for 48 minutes is another! You could drive for days like that in the above OLR suggestion. :lol:

It is rather entertaining to see who can use the least amount of gas going around the largest track in the game. The slightest screw up in the throttle control that activates the gas engine could cost ya braggin rights on usin the least amount of gas or getting off the racing line touchin the grass and losing precious momentum. Its just as frustrating to drive slow as it is to play in the GT world championship with an underpowered car.

So what if you tune this lean mean tree hugging machine to the max? Will the cool display go back to a normal car?

vladimir
0.193 gallons is 0.730 litres. i just did it in 17:29.769 and used 525cc of gas. i guess that is supposed to be 0.525 litres or 0.138 gallons.

the measures seem to be a little screwed when you set it to km's. the usage indicator says i am using like 5 km/l when i go slow but 20 km/l when i go fast, so when i go fast i save fuel? cool... but i guess they mean l/km.

Actually you are correct!!!
Now this applies to normal gasoline cars, I don't know enough about hybrids to explain how their fuel usage works.

Lets use a hypothetical car. Say a Japanese make 1.6 liter engine, maybe a toyota corolla? I don't remember the exact rpms vs speed in the gearing so just work with me eh? You can get the point.

If you drive for ten mins at in fourth gear at 2500 rpms at 40 miles an hour, you will cover drive 6.6 miles (rounding).
However, if you drive ten mins in fifth gear at 2500 rpms at 50 miles an hour you will travel 8 miles.

Now, you WILL use SLIGHTLY more fuel at 2500 rpms in fifth than fourth, but that amount is a LOT less than you SAVE by covering the extra 1.4 miles.

Thus you can see that SOMETIMES going faster will use less fuel.

Now in the case of say, 75 miles an hour, you are in fifth gear traveling at 75 but you are at about 4000 rpms and using MORE fuel at the higher rpm range than you are saving by going faster.

So you need to find a balance between keeping your speed up to travel the longer distance and keeping your rpms down to conserve the fuel. But not down too far or else you'll use too much fuel for the return. *see below lugging
Now if you drive at say 1200 rpms or lower, your car is working too hard to move itself, you floor the gas and you just don't get a good return out of it. So you want to make sure you don't drive at too low an rpm so you don't waste fuel because your engine is lugging. (Technical term from Vermont USA. lol. THink of someone trying to drag something too heavy behind him, what is he doing? Straining and working his muscles really hard. That's lugging, because he is trying to lug around that item. Thus when the engine is working too hard because it isn't in a high enough rpm range, you are lugging your car.....hehe...I know, I'm a woodchuck......ummmmmmanother vermont term for someone who is 3 generations born in vermont, otherwise known as a "true vermonter" ...ummmm nevermind.)

Anyway, I explained in the most common language as I could, screw the technical terms, you understand.....I hope.
And if you don't, ask Duke. He knows just about everything and he's better with that ejucatid stuff like words..........or somethin'

The prius....I gave it a try and found it an interesting car. 👍

If you leave it stock, and floor it, you will use up the battery.

But, I decided to fully mod it(everything) and race it in the FF championship. Now, the car will charge the battery all the time( engine activated) so the battery won't drain.

S31Ender
Actually you are correct!!!
Now this applies to normal gasoline cars, I don't know enough about hybrids to explain how their fuel usage works.

Lets use a hypothetical car. Say a Japanese make 1.6 liter engine, maybe a toyota corolla? I don't remember the exact rpms vs speed in the gearing so just work with me eh? You can get the point.

If you drive for ten mins at in fourth gear at 2500 rpms at 40 miles an hour, you will cover drive 6.6 miles (rounding).
However, if you drive ten mins in fifth gear at 2500 rpms at 50 miles an hour you will travel 8 miles.

Now, you WILL use SLIGHTLY more fuel at 2500 rpms in fifth than fourth, but that amount is a LOT less than you SAVE by covering the extra 1.4 miles.

Thus you can see that SOMETIMES going faster will use less fuel.

Now in the case of say, 75 miles an hour, you are in fifth gear traveling at 75 but you are at about 4000 rpms and using MORE fuel at the higher rpm range than you are saving by going faster.

So you need to find a balance between keeping your speed up to travel the longer distance and keeping your rpms down to conserve the fuel. But not down too far or else you'll use too much fuel for the return. *see below lugging
Now if you drive at say 1200 rpms or lower, your car is working too hard to move itself, you floor the gas and you just don't get a good return out of it. So you want to make sure you don't drive at too low an rpm so you don't waste fuel because your engine is lugging. (Technical term from Vermont USA. lol. THink of someone trying to drag something too heavy behind him, what is he doing? Straining and working his muscles really hard. That's lugging, because he is trying to lug around that item. Thus when the engine is working too hard because it isn't in a high enough rpm range, you are lugging your car.....hehe...I know, I'm a woodchuck......ummmmmmanother vermont term for someone who is 3 generations born in vermont, otherwise known as a "true vermonter" ...ummmm nevermind.)

Anyway, I explained in the most common language as I could, screw the technical terms, you understand.....I hope.
And if you don't, ask Duke. He knows just about everything and he's better with that ejucatid stuff like words..........or somethin'
i kinda knew that because i could study it in driving school were i drove the bmw 330d with a usage meter in front of me that was very interesting to spectate. :D

what really confuses me is that we in germany don't say how many miles we can cover with a gallon, but instead how many litres of fuel we need to travel 100 kilometres.

in the GT4 prius the usage meter confused me then because when i drive slowly and the engine just charges the battery it said only "5 km/l" and when i floored it at 50 km/h it said "25km/l". so i wondered why it used so much fuel to charge the battery that my mileage became so bad!?
but now i found out that when i drive 50 with the pedal floored it says as mentioned 25 km/l, but when i go 150 it goes down to 9 km/l which would make sense as you need much more fuel because of wind resistance at high speeds.

so i now think that km/l is right but the meter does not work right when just the battery is charged...

I just drove the first-generation Prius around the Nurburgring to see how little gas I'd use. It took me 26'15'069 to do one lap, and I used .120 gallons of gas. I can definitely do better, but I did notice something neat:

On that first long downhill section after the starting line, I slightly nudged the accelerator and noticed that the car sped up, albeit slowly. However, the display didn't show that I was using the electric motor or the gas motor.

This continued on for about another five miles. I would slightly press the gas and the car would crawl forward, even pick up speed sometimes, without using the electric/gas motors. I found it to be quite weird. Was this something the creators of GT4 put in on purpose?

*You may notice that the engine starts up around 45 miles per hour (both Priuses). You'll hear it, but it doesn't show up on the display at all. The gas usage meter, nor the MPG meter, budge either. This is what led me to believe that I was technically using the electric motor, but I was using so little that it didn't show up on the display.*

Another thing that surprised me was how little gas the motor used when charging the battery after using 2-3/8ths of it. In fact, I drove a long ways (about a mile or so) before the gas meter moved an inch (.005 to .006 etc).

Bottom line: This car's got potential. Again, I got to fine tune my driving skills. Back to the 'ring I go :)👍

I got some more news :D. I used .046 gallons with the Prius G Touring (03). But, just because I said I wanted to see how good I could get my gas mileage on the 'ring, I never specified to do so while going forwards. That's right, I just completed one lap of the 'ring going in Reverse (hold Triangle to back up, hold L1 to see). By the time I crossed the finish line, my battery was down to 3/8ths. Total lap time: 21'29'831.

I didn't know whether or not the exciting part was that I got .046 gallons or by driving an entire lap in reverse. I saved the replay on my memory card by the way.

I took up this insane challenge last night around 11:00, thinking I could do it and a few other races just for fun before midnight. One hour, fifty minutes, and 33.883 seconds later, I completed my one lap of Nordschleife using the hardest racing tires available. (I fell asleep on the long straight just before the pits. Five minutes later, I woke up, was still on the same *#&$(@ straight, but was still in the middle of the road.) Used the battery the entire time, never used the gas pedal. My fuel consumption: 0.114 gallons. The engine came on three times to recharge the battery. Will try to use a different tire and see if the mileage and consumption will improve

ProOne
I took up this insane challenge last night around 11:00, thinking I could do it and a few other races just for fun before midnight. One hour, fifty minutes, and 33.883 seconds later, I completed my one lap of Nordschleife using the hardest racing tires available. (I fell asleep on the long straight just before the pits. Five minutes later, I woke up, was still on the same *#&$(@ straight, but was still in the middle of the road.) Used the battery the entire time, never used the gas pedal. My fuel consumption: 0.114 gallons. The engine came on three times to recharge the battery. Will try to use a different tire and see if the mileage and consumption will improve

Hard tyres should be the worst for fuel economy; they covert the most of your forward momentum into up/down movement when you hit bumps in the road.

If anyone wants advice, I'd say the best thing to do would be to race around the track until your fuel tank is almost empty. This, (I think?) has been shown to improve lap times, and so the reduction in weight must be accounted for, and as anyone should be able to see, the less weight you are moving aroung the 'ring, the less fuel you should be using.

I'd do this "challenge" myself, but am quite happy just trying to go as fast as possible (though failing often!)

MADTJ
Hey, umm is there other car like this? i love Prius! but is there other like this?

Honda has the Insight and the Civic IMA. But I'm not sure they are in the game... :(

I gotta try this challenge, seems fun! :D

ND4SPD
So what if you tune this lean mean tree hugging machine to the max? Will the cool display go back to a normal car?

Everything except tranny and it stays the same.

And now the battery will NEVER run out because the engine is constantly charging it even WOT.

daggoth
Honda has the Insight and the Civic IMA. But I'm not sure they are in the game... :(

I gotta try this challenge, seems fun! :D

This game have Insight, however it didn't change the display because i guess it's old vison 👎 ('99) so i guess this Prius is only one in this game. bummer :ouch: 👎 :ouch: 👎

maybe i messed up or something but in my version i dont see anything releating to a battery on the prius. Do you know if all versions have this function?

hey guys heres an idea...how much better gas mileage can you get while drafting another car around the whole track? :)

DuefoMachine
If anyone wants advice, I'd say the best thing to do would be to race around the track until your fuel tank is almost empty. This, (I think?) has been shown to improve lap times, and so the reduction in weight must be accounted for, and as anyone should be able to see, the less weight you are moving aroung the 'ring, the less fuel you should be using.

True, but I just noticed that the fuel monitor only goes up to 9.999 gallons and the gas tank never leaves the full mark 👎 Oh well. At least you can't run out of gas.

(By the way, if they did have the Prius use in-game gasoline, imagine the trouble you'd have if you ran out of fuel and the battery went dead...)

194GVan
hey guys heres an idea...how much better gas mileage can you get while drafting another car around the whole track? :)
that would be dumb because no car is going to wait that slow for you and if you did it in multiplayer it wouldnt matter either because there is very little wind resistance at 30 miles per hour.

It took me over a month, but I finally beat my record. This morning I drove the original 02' Prius G around the Nurburgring and managed to get around the lap using exactly .040 gallons of gas and it took me 26'07'292 to do it.

Like I said earlier, the Prius seems to coast a lot better when the gas (electric? ;) ) pedal is pressed lightly (so even the electric motor doesn't turn on). This got me through 1/3 of the track with just little electric use, but by the time I reached the long straightaway, the battery was drained completely since the engine started to automatically recharge and backing up uses much less fuel than going forward. When the battery is drained, the gas motor will take its place when backing, but if it didn't, I'd manage as low as .026.

(Not to be off topic, but would anyone like to tell me if there's a code for unlimited battery power? [ARMAX NTSC])

Back