Prius Mileage on the 'ring :)

Epinionator89
Like I said earlier, the Prius seems to coast a lot better when the gas (electric? ;) ) pedal is pressed lightly (so even the electric motor doesn't turn on).
That'd be the regenerative braking, just like on real Priuses. 👍

I just finished a lap using 0.092 gallons fwiw.

Toshi
That'd be the regenerative braking, just like on real Priuses. 👍

I just finished a lap using 0.092 gallons fwiw.

I just thought of something: you find out your real gas mileage by finding how many miles you've driven by how many gallons of gas you used. So if I've driven 20 miles on two gallons of gas, 20 divided by 2=10. So, if I remember correctly, the Nurburgring is 13 miles long (almost exactly.) So, since I drove 13 miles on .040 gallons of gas, I put 13 in my calculator, divided that by .04 and got (whoa)....325 MPG! 👍👍 If only the Prius gauge went highter than 99.9, then I wouldn't need a calculator. 💡

13 miles divided by .092 equals 141.3 MPG. That's still really good :) 👍

I've been toying with the Prius. I tried the Ring, but got about half way around before I realised what the deal was with the meters etc...

Anyway, as a test, I took it to Suzuka East. First lap, I did as slow as I could. I used 0.100 CC's of gas. To put that into perspective, I floored it at the finish line to see how much a regular lap would burn... And I'd burnt TWICE that amount of fuel before I'd even reached the end of the straight:)

This is a really fun idea for something new to do in the gme.

you guys got me all curious now... i'll buy both honda & toyota & see which one does better... i'm gonna use sarthe' tho.. [nurburgring is too damn long] lol..

suzq044
you guys got me all curious now... i'll buy both honda & toyota & see which one does better... i'm gonna use sarthe' tho.. [nurburgring is too damn long] lol..

La Sarthe is too flat. The hills are what makes it an interesting exercise.
My first run: '02 Prius, 25:16, .060 gallons.

Ultimately pointless, but fun. I remember the half-assed Prius from GT2. Not only was it just like an ordinary car, the battery never ran out, even after 10 laps of Test Course at max speed.

I think it's great people are paying more attention to the little things in GT4 and appreciating cars like the Toyota Prius. :)

Well, I've spent all day today making a website not only about gas mileage on the Nurburgring, but gas mileage on all the other courses as well. I've only gotten through the World Circuit courses so far, and I need to edit a couple of things, but it's still pretty good in my opinion:

http://community-2.webtv.net/Epinionator89/GranTurismo4Toyota/index.html

Tips to save gas (I use Miles Per Gallon and Miles Per Hour):

*Coast, coast and coast! Anticipate corners ahead and try not to "race". For example, if you see a corner ahead and you could possibly coast to the corner, let off the gas and do so. You regerate power and you are pretty much getting a "free ride".

*On La Sarthe I and II, I tapped the gas/electric pedal lightly to keep the energy meter about one bar lower than full. Just "juggle" the meter and you can go around the entire track, albeit at a slow speed, using and recharging the battery at the same time. For example, when the meter goes from full to one bar lower, let off the pedal and let it charge back to full. Then tap the gas to keep the car going, then let off etc.

*When the motor wants to charge the battery, I find it's better to not let off the gas and let the battery charge. Instead, keep the gas pedal where it is and try to finish the rest of the course. If you let off and make the engine charge the battery, your MPG meter will drop and so will acceleration.

Went into Arcade mode to compare the two different Prius models. Ran the '02 in 24:30-something, consumed only .056 gallons of gas. I must say, the climb up to Hohe Acht was excruciating! (Perhaps not as much as the Daimler Patent Wagen. . . :ill: ) Then ran the '03, and found that it will not discharge the battery as far without a forced engine start. I passed the '02's consumption just a bit after Bergwerk, so I gave it up on the '03.

Then I tried another comparison, running the ring at highway speeds, not racing, not looking for max mileage. I wondered how they would do if I just tried to hold around 60 to 70 miles per hour, as I would do driving around my local county highways (those that are paved, at least).

The '03 was up first, because that's the one I was already in. Lap time was 12:03 and change, consumption was .395 gallons. Then the '02: lap time 12:05, indicating reasonable consistency with the speed, and the consumption was .392 gallons. A difference of about 11 cc's. Count around 100 drops of water out of an eyedropper. Not a significant difference after a nearly 14-mile drive, I would say. Works out to almost 35 miles per gallon, not quite what I would have hoped for from all this techno-babble going on in the car.

On the other hand, my .056-gallon run, which took almost exactly twice as long, works out to almost 235 miles per gallon! Of course, that doesn't count the energy it would take to recharge the depleted battery.

My conclusion is that yes, the Prius can be made to do one lap in an ultra-fuel-efficient manner, if you ignore watt-hours and count gasoline as your only fuel. That's kind of like taking an electric car, dropping a gasoline engine into it, and saying "Hey, look how efficient! It doesn't drain the battery near as much now!"

Overall, it isn't that much better than a normal car, based on my "real-world" simulated test in my living room. :dopey:

wfooshee
The '03 was up first, because that's the one I was already in. Lap time was 12:03 and change, consumption was .395 gallons. Then the '02: lap time 12:05, indicating reasonable consistency with the speed, and the consumption was .392 gallons. A difference of about 11 cc's. Count around 100 drops of water out of an eyedropper. Not a significant difference after a nearly 14-mile drive, I would say. Works out to almost 35 miles per gallon, not quite what I would have hoped for from all this techno-babble going on in the car.

Overall, it isn't that much better than a normal car, based on my "real-world" simulated test in my living room. :dopey:

Hmm. I tried doing the same thing, finished in 14'11.978 and still used only .201 gallons (64.38 MPG). I can't remember what I did to use only .045 gallons though. I'm going to have to re-read the post again. :lol:

I've now completed Seoul Central, Tokyo Rt. 246, Hong Kong, Clubman Stage Route 5 and Special Stage Route 5. The 03' Prius did not use any gas at all on these courses, and I will add the information to my website in just a minute. But as my results show, the Prius is very efficient in just about every track you put it on.

Efficient? Not for me. I took me like 2.500 gallons and a dying battery in the 2001 just to make it around Clubman. Talk about the 'Ring. :ouch:

Anyways, what's up with the Insight? Isn't that a hybrid too? I drove it once and believed there were none of these special gauges for it.

AP1
Efficient? Not for me. I took me like 2.500 gallons and a dying battery in the 2001 just to make it around Clubman. Talk about the 'Ring. :ouch:

Anyways, what's up with the Insight? Isn't that a hybrid too? I drove it once and believed there were none of these special gauges for it.

I'm talking about the second-generation Prius (2003). But yeah, the first-generation Prius drives a lot differently in my opinion. But two and a half gallons on one lap :scared:? I gotta see how that's possible...

The Insight is a disappointment in GT4, yet Honda has a different approach to hybrids. In real life, the Insight's electric motor cannot propel the car on its own, so the gasoline engine is always on while you're driving; the batteries only assists the gas motor. But when at a stoplight, the engines shuts off if you put the car in neutral. When you put the car back in gear, the engine restarts. At least that's what I was told.

I don't think the Insight has anything hybrid-related to it in the game other than having "Hybrid" in its name.

I have updated my website with more information, and I will now test the 2003 Prius G Touring on the Practice Courses. Of course, I'm going to do the Special Conditions courses as well. That's going to be interesting :lol:

Isn't the MPG meter is a bit dodgy in the Prius? I assume that when you lift off the throttle while driving forwards, the MPG meter should go sky high (e.g. 99.9 MPG) but in GT4 Prius, it goes to 0.0 MPG. Hmm....

Anyone explain this to me? :dunce:

Driftnewb110
When my friend came over in May, I showed him my DFP and we took the Prius around the"'ring" and one lap took up 1.5+gallons.

With what lap time? Racing the Prius will burn gas like any other car at full throttle. We're trying to get around without the engine, on battery alone, as much as possible. It's possible to exceed 85 MPH downhill on the battery, but on the climb to Hohe Acht, you'll be down to 5 or 6 MPH for a bit. That's why it takes almost half an hour to get around.

I dont remember the lap time. But it was full throttle and I knew I would burn a lot of gas, but not just that much. Once I hit 1+gallons I just started messing around and going in reverse to drain the battery, it never ran out. My friend said in Forza, your car can run out of gas and just sit there, you can pop your tires on endurance races, you can blow your engine, and you can blow your tranny. Before I bought GT3 and I onlyhad GT2, my cousin raced me his Prius vs my Honda Beat. I was losing after the first few turns. The Prius caught up because it only had one gear, so it didnt lost any RPM like my Beat. Anyways the race was taking forever, we already did 3 min, and we still havent done a lap(course was Tahiti sp) When we finally finished a lap, we told me to stop so he can show me something. He started redlining at 93MPH IN REVERSE!!! I was on the flooring laughing like crazy. My friend and his bro were over at my house also and they start laughing so much that they started farting in my room. It took us a coupe of days to get over the fact that his Prius was doin 93 in reverse. The Prius is an awesome car. BTW, his GT2 Prius tops out at 93 in first and 93 reverse.

vladimir
i tried the honda insight unmodded (except for n2 tyres and oil change) and it did not have such a display like the prius.

48 minutes round the ring? wow, that is really mad. but i fear its not worth the 0.040 of a gallon. :crazy:

thats a shame... considering that IRL the insight kills the prius in gas mileage.

Don Luigi
Isn't the MPG meter is a bit dodgy in the Prius? I assume that when you lift off the throttle while driving forwards, the MPG meter should go sky high (e.g. 99.9 MPG) but in GT4 Prius, it goes to 0.0 MPG. Hmm....

Anyone explain this to me? :dunce:

Checked it out. I assume that when your gauge shows 00.0, it must be because you have your brake pedal/square button pressed and your car is stopped. Therefore, your gasoline motor and your electric motor aren't being used. If you just sit there, you aren't getting any MPG.

But when you let off the brake, your battery should only be propelling the car. Thus, it should say 99.9 MPG. It will do the same when you're just coasting unless your gasoline engine is being used to either propel the car or to charge the battery or even both.

Thanks for reply Epinionater but its when the throttle is at 0 percent and brakes at 0 percent applied that the MPG meter goes to 0.0mpg for me. Also the battery does not cut in - it merely recharges itself from the motion of the rear axle.

I'm afraid the gruelling 50 minute laps aren't for me, so I flipped the challenge on it's head.

1 lap, photo drive, 10'15.234 and 3.017 gallons.

I presume it's that, as there's no full stop in the number, so it actually reads as 3017 gallons. :confused:

Now if we could just get that stupid gas engine to not start sharging tha battery so early i could have saved a lot of gas, so far my first attempt has netted 1.26 gallons, but a bad 22.41 second lap, We'll have to see what can be done about that (and probably better on a week when i don't have test in all my classes.)

I drove the pirus around El capitan for a while after reading this, and it seems to work much better in reverse, even if the top speed is limited to about 32mph

Takeing that back it seems to reach any speed, but the battery doesnt recharge during rolling

2004 Prius, 29'03.903, 0.074 gallons.

I read every post in this thread and I believe that's the lowest fuel usage for an '04 yet. Engine charged twice, once half way through and once more at the end.

(And I even went forward, too.)

Wow, you're that bored? Year and some change resurrection.

Wow, you're right. I didn't notice it was that old. I posted in here thinking it was a relatively current thread (I was referred to it by another member on MSN). I guess that backfired. :lol:

Well I was that member GT Pro was reffering to. I just now finished my lap. Took around 1 hour. But my plan backfired, and the petrol started charging the battery :( And I WAS ON THE LAST STRAIGHT!!!

I've bumped this thread, as it is an interesting read. Got a question, tho.

I noticed when switching from the stock CVT gearbox to a close, super-close, or full-custom box, the cool Prius HUD goes away, and is replaced with standard tachometer and speedometer guages. Does anyone know if this is because the Hybrid system is no longer used? It seems as if the car drives just like any other full gas-powered car if you replace its tranny.

First off, you are crazy... secondly, this is the sort of thing that the people at Toyota will love... I might give it a bash later! In GT4 Prologue, there was a license test based on the Prius' fuel economy, where you had to do a lap of Tsukuba under a certain time, but with a limited amount of gas... was very tricky, but it taught you that you don't need to floor the gas to do certain sections of the circuit, so I think doing the 'Ring like this could be very interesting... even if it takes 14 and a half minutes a lap!

I've noticed that if you accelerate a Prius to any given speed, and then release the throttle (or feather it) so that the given speed is maintained, the car will run with complete battery power, assuming the battery is all charged up. :dopey:

In other words, take the Prius to 60 mph (or whatever, but slower speeds work better), and then maintain 60 mph by letting-off the throttle a bit, and the car will now be getting maximum fuel-economy, as the gas engine (if it's on at all) will be merely charging the battery as the car runs.

Last edited:
If i'm drving this car for 3 hours, will the fuel run out or what???? i mean snice they didn't said how much fuel do you have it left.....

EDIT: i'm just trying to see what happen if i run out of battery, so it cause you VERY slow, at frist lap i have about full battery, but untill a little after 2nd lap, i used my all battery and i was 23 sec faster than before in half lap, However, my battery is all gone and now i'm 53 sec SLOWER when finsih 2nd lap

I've done that, let it run out. I was mucking around on the test course with other cars. The battery eventually ran out, but nothing noticable happened apart from the battery meter dropping to one bar and staying there.

Speaking of the Prius, and blasting (use that word loosely lol) around the Nurburgring, can you tune it? A 150hp hybrid would be interesting...

Back