JGTC @ Gran Turismo World Championship Ver. 1.1

• Thread starter Old Geezer
  • 11 comments
United States
Bastrop, TX
JGTC vs Group "C" Ver. 1.1
at
Professional Hall Gran Turismo World Championship

I used the NISSAN MOTUL PITWORK Z (JGTC) '04 (report viewable HERE: ) my second time thru this Series & I'd planned to attack it with a DTM Ride until I saw this THREAD where a nice young man asked if the NISSAN Xanavi Skyline(JGTC) '01 was capable. I must admit I "Assumed" it should take the series as the last JGTC Ride I had used WON at 8 of the 10 venues. Then a couple of other members proclaimed that there was "NO WAY" the Skyline could win. I've never been a Skyline "Fan" & quite frankly do NOT understand what all the "Hoopla" is about but being one who enjoys a good challenge, I bought a Spanking new Xanavi liveried version. Added the BIG Turbo & an Oil Change, purchased but didn't fit R-2s & R-4s. Took it out for a few laps at Tokyo & made MINOR changes to the Chassis Set-Up, adjusted the Auto Set (NO "Tranny Trick") & entered the Series.

Finish = Place / Race Time - Fast Lap. MOV = Margin of Victory (Where applicable!)

Race #1 Tokyo Rte 246 (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'25.128
Finish 1st / 14'40.928 - 1'23.004 (Lap #9)
M.O.V. 5.528 Seconds 👍

I wasn't too surprised that my qualifying time was just over a second slower than last time as the Skyline is down quite a bit on HP compared to the "Z". I was a little "Alarmed" :scared: however when the screen showed 119 A-Spec points as the "Motul" was only good for 54 points here. Perhaps the "Nay Sayers" were correct! My trepidations proved to be unfounded but a good race did ensue. My "MOV" being about half of what it was last time.

Race #2 Twin Ring Motegi Super Speedway (147 Points)
Qualified 4th / 31.xxx
Finish 4th / 10'44.154 - NO Fast Lap recorded :dunce:
M.O. "Loss" +1 Lap 👎

Since I'd finished fourth here last time I knew there was NO Podium finish likely in this round. I opted to run without a Pit Stop & actually posted a better time than I did in the "Z" but the finish position was the same. :irked: Fell to second overall, 3 points behind the Minolta.

Race #3 Hong Kong (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'13.142
Finish 1st / 22'05.817 - 1'11.092 (Lap #7)
M.O.V. 8.720 Seconds 👍

I was a little surprised I managed to win this one as my qualifying time was well off what I'd posted in the "Z." Found my rhythm quickly however & steadily opened up a lead. Same strategy I used with the "Z" worked well & again the MOV was about half that posted with the "Z" Car. Back in the lead again with 3 points over the Minolta.

Race #4 Seoul Central (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 0'51.573
Finish 1st / 16'24.742 - 0'49.150 (Lap #17)
M.O.V. 14.891 Seconds 👍

First race where I've qualified half way close to the "Z" time. Ten seconds slower overall but plenty good enough to best the "AI" as they still don't seem to like this venue!
Series Points: Xanavi 33 / 26 Minolta

Race #5 El Capitan (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'31.675
Finish 1st / 16'56.850 - 1'28.706 (Lap #8)
M.O.V. 30.xxx Seconds 👍

WOW! I must really be getting used to the Skyline's handling! One second quicker than the "Z" in qualifying. Got a bad "Standing" start & dropped to third immediately but learned from my experience here last time & did NOT Loop it at the Camp Curry Curve. Passed them all before the end of Lap #1. Due to the "Lack" of a spin I actually finished a bit quicker her than I'd done in the "Z".
Series Points: Xanavi 43 / 29 Minolta

Race #6 New York (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'24.655
Finish 1st / 21'19.355 - 1'21.887 (Lap #13)
M.O.V. 14.xxx Seconds 👍

Fairly uneventful. As noted before, the "AI" doesn't do well here either. Huge "MOV" reflects this.
Series Points: Xanavi 53 / 35 Minolta

Race #7 Opera Paris [Reverse] (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'18.266
Finish 1st / ????? - 1'15.431 (Lap #7)
M.O.V. LESS than ONE Second :eek: 👍

:dunce: Much like the last time I was here in the "Z" I "Brain Fahrted" & almost blew it again. Went with too soft a tyre & didn't get the "Auto Set" just right! :banghead: The Tyres were "Supposed" to last 'till the half way point but by Lap #8 the rears were "Toast." So I pitted in & swapped for R-2s hoiping that they'd last TEN laps! :scared: They did but just BARELY! :eek: Lost the lead when I pitted & then came around the next time in forth just as the "Fast Guys" were exiting the pits. Quickly slipped into 2nd as my tyres were warmer than theirs & regained the lead by the end of Lap #9. Built a small but steady margin even on the harder tyres but then they started to go away as well.! :irked: Had the R-92 "Looming Large" in my mirror thru the final circuit but I managed to hold him off. The last T-time I saw I was about 0.8xx seconds ahead. Crossed the Finish Line for the Victory & was so excited I hit the Button we used in GT3 to Freeze the screen but alas, it doesn't work in GT4 so I didn't get to record my overall time! :banghead:
Series Points: Xanavi 63 / 39 Minolta

Race #8 Suzuka (119 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'46.591
Finish 1st / 16'28.281 - 1'44.781 (Lap #7)
M.O.V. 8.946 Seconds 👍

I'm NOT sure why but I beat my "Z" qualifier by nearly THREE SECONDS! Even managed to eclipse the total race time but not by a lot. I'm REALLY gettin' to like the Skyline now! 👍 Another poor "Standing Start" resulted in a 2nd place into Turn #1 :irked: but back in first before T-1. Never really a challenge as the "AI" never does well here. :mischievous:
Series Points: Xanavi 73 / 45 Minolta

Race #9 Grand Valley [Reverse] (133 Points)
Qualified 1st / 1'37.394
Finish 1st / 18'36.009 - 1'36.513 (Lap #10)
M.O.V. 17.xxx Seconds 👍

Knowing that I can't possibly lose the Series I decided to experiment a bit. I recently read a post by the ever knowledgeable Famine which mentioned adding "Ballast" to find a better race. I opted for 50 "Units" (don't know if they're kgs or #s) evenly distributed & set off to qualify. Didn't "feel" much diferent but indeed I bested the "Z" qualifier by TWO Seconds & upped the A-Spec points by 14!
Just like last time here, the standing start put me in 4th into Turn #1 :irked: but I was back in first thru the big tunnel since the "AI" seems to struggle with the "Chicane" going this direction. Into the pits at the end of Lap 6 & back out in 4th as usual. Hoped I'd find a "Race" but the leaders pitted in on Laps 7 & 8 and I never saw them again! :grumpy:
Series Points: Xanavi 83 / 49 Minolta

Race #10 Circuit de le Sarthe I (140 Points)
Qualified 1st / 3'26.170
Finish 1st / 13'40.174 - 3'21.372(Lap #3) [Draft Aided]
M.O.V. 7.042 Seconds 👍

You have NO Idea how badly I wanted to WIN this one as I'd lost here in BOTH prior attempts. :irked: Knowing I was on the GrpC Monster's "Home Turf" I made a few adjustments. The 50 Units Ballast seemed a bit much in qualifying so I dropped it to 25 Units. I raised the suspension slightly so any "Rumblies" contact wouldn't upset the chassis too much. Then raised the Auto Set one notch higher than necessary in the event I caught a "Draft." Also lowered the Downforce about 10% at each end looking for more straight line speed.
With the Rolling Start all went well & I was slowly pulling away from the field until the Minolta TOYOTA blew by me at the entrance to the second chicane. The lowered DF had indeed yielded a few more MPH but on blue tyres the handling was a bit "Dicey" to say the least. Was VERY happy I'd bumped up the Auto Set as I caught the vacuum behind the big Toyota & pulled right up on his tail at the end of the Mulsanne. Several lead changes occured as the "AI" is a little "Timid" thru Indianapolis but hella fast on the straights! :eek: Managed to slip thru the final chicane & lead Lap #1.
Then the big guy's tyres warmed & it was really a challenge to catch him & draft him but I managed to do so as we steadily pulled ahead of the field. Unbelieveably he pitted in at the end of Lap #3 & all I had to do was fend off the two NISSANS without the aid of the Toyota for ONE more lap! :scared: The R92CP gained on the straights but fell back in the corners & at the finish I couldn't even see him in my mirrors. Most rewarding was that my points lead exceeded that attained with the PITWORK ride!

FINAL RESULTS:
XANAVI HIROTO Skyline (JGTC) '01 // 93 Points
TOYOTA 88C-V Race Car (MINOLTA) '89 // 53 Points
NISSAN R92CP Race Car '92 // 47 Points
NISSAN R89C Race Car '89 // 36 Points
MERCEDES-BENZ AMG CLK-GTR Race Car '98 // 21 Points
GILLET Vertigo Race Car // 10 Points

"Prize" Car: FORD GT LM Edition Spec-II '04 immediately sold for 212,499 Credits added to 475,000 odd Prize Credits in the Bank...PLUS 1106 A-Spec Points for those of you who count them!

Final Mileage (+2 Laps @ Most venues for warm up & qualifying) 416 Miles.

A VERY Big THANX to GTP member "Shift" who's original thread, even though he's given up on this ride, led me to give this series another shot! :cheers:

As always...THANX for wading thru this & hope it will help someone out. Let me know if you spot a mistake, I'm VERY adept at using the EDIT Function! :lol:
I still want to try one of the DTM Rides here...O.G. :D

So which race would you do over again for pure enjoyment?

Sarthe? :mischievous: ;)

You did an excellent job with this write-up.
Did you take the time to post a link to this in the other thread that got you started on this particular quest? :lol:

As I just said... Excellent work OG.

I'm just wondering, are there any cars out there you couldn't do this with?
Being reasonable about that too.
Fact of the matter is, you managed to beat this series with the CLK-GTR when I thought it was nearly impossible... Now you''re doing this with JGTC rides?

What's next, rally cars? :mischievous:

Mr.Slow
Nice write up Old_Geezer. Do you know if this can be done using a stock car (other than the F1)?
Hiya Mr.Slow!
If by "Stock" you mean NO Horsepower Upgrades & NO Chassis tuning then I would think that ANY of the LMP/GrpC rides are up to the task.
Using these rules I used a "Stock" Sauber to best the Formula GT Series, (viewable HERE) so I see NO reason this series can't be won in the same manner. The very first time thru this series I used the Minolta TOYOTA w/NO HP upgrades although I did "Tune" the chasis a bit (probably unneccessarily). Hope this helps...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
Hmmmmmmmm...Rallye Cars, what an EXCELLENT IDEA! 👍
...O.G. :D

Sounds rediculus, but I think you may be able to do it with the right stuff.

Maybe a full mod Stratos Rally?
I know you would love to race that around. :mischievous:
A little tuning and some extra HP would still leave it at a disadvantage compared to the other cars.

I would suggest something else with a bit more power to keep up but who really wants to run a 4wd like the Evo Super Rally or the '03 Impreza Rally? :lol:

Maybe you could go with a mix?
Something like the Impreza Super Touring Car?

Ah, I've got a challenge for you along these lines...
Do you think you could handle them with the Cusco Impreza?
That's a FR ride with low power and what I imagine is pretty go handling.

Ohhh, what about the A4 touring car?
That could be a great match up for someone like you... And you did say you wanted a piece of the DTM action. :mischievous:

Think it over. ;)

"Food for Thought" for sure Kent! 👍 I'm afraid the Cusco Subie is in the same class as the Wedssport Toyota & might not have enough "Umpah!" The Stratos however is worth some further investigation!
THANX...O.G. :D

Old Geezer
Hiya Mr.Slow!
If by "Stock" you mean NO Horsepower Upgrades & NO Chassis tuning then I would think that ANY of the LMP/GrpC rides are up to the task.
:D

Does that extend to 'No upgraded tires' ? Tnx for the reply BTW.

Mr.Slow
Does that extend to 'No upgraded tires' ? Tnx for the reply BTW.
No, not at all! I'm basing my "Rules" on those put forth by Guyver 1 in his excellent write-up found HERE: I'll admit I had a bit of a "Struggle" with the Sauber at first but adapted quickly enough. Trans adjustments are "Open" as well. Hope this helps.

THANX ALL for the kind words! 👍...O.G. :D

I attempted this series in a modified C5R (900 odd HP) and couldn't come close to victory at Tokyo. I had to settle for the 787B and a pretty boring race. To do it in a JGTC car with less HP and less downforce, and yet nearly sweep the series is pretty impressive!

Latest Posts

Back