Mission 12 - Laguna Seca Ford GT

• Thread starter Swift
  • 101 comments
3 lap battles Mission 12 Laguna Seca Ford GT
I just cant let these writeups go astray, so I'll try to save as many of them as I can.
AMG_SLK

Videos
http://www.davidanderson.org.uk/gt4_videos.htm#mission
Courtesy of Daan and Famine

BadBatsuMaru
BadBatsuMaru
11 took me awhile and really scared me as far as how hard the rest of the missions would be.

I thought Mission 12 was one of the easiest ones just because Laguna Seca is so easy to perfect your braking points with those little numbers by the track. You certainly don't need a perfect lap. I just counted the number of little signs that would pass before I hit the brakes each time (which is actually easier than remembering the number on the sign you brake at since you don't have to look right at it). I think most turns are between 2 1/2 and 3 2/3 signs till you brake. On the corkscrew you have to go full-brake the very instant the recommended gear lights up then power out of it from the middle of the corkscrew.

Der Alta
A word for word "Cut and Paste" from www.deralta.net
Mission Twelve: (target time <4'09.8xx)
Ford GT Race car
Results: Final Time: 4'09.179
What a rough one this was. I really had to be at the top of my game to get it.
Here's the lay down of turns, corners and times that I hit to pass this one.
Lap #1
Passed the Viper approaching the corkscrew, passed the Saleen at the last hairpin on lap one. Snuck by him on the inside. I caught up to the Camaro at the Second time point on lap two and slipped easily by him. After that, it was a smooth trip through the Corkscrew and I came up on the Vette at the Final Hairpin I wasn't able to catch him there, but I drafted him up to the First Hairpin on lap 3. Twas a bit bumpy, but I slipped him on the inside. Then began the chase to catch the Oreca. Tighter and tighter it got up to the last hairpin. On the previous run, I actually bumped him trying to apss right there and I got the 5 second penalty. This run, however, I slipped on his inside, hit the brakes late and shut the door on his attempt to pass me back. I then roared down the track to win.
10,000 cr more and a better day.
These are the Time point checks that I hit, in order to win. I'd suggest dashing them down and see how you're doing against them as you work on passing this one.
Lap 1: - 12.388
lap 2: - 6.330
Finish: + 0.667

stan394
Catch 5 AI cars within 3 laps in Laguna Seca. This time the lead car's advantage is about 19 seconds. Your car is much faster this time and handles relatively well. But if you are thrown off to the sand and grass, no chance.
Caught up with the ... car at ...
5th: first lap, after Hmmmm bridge
4th: first lap, after last tight left before finish line
3rd: second lap, about checkpoint 3 (should have passed it before corkscrew)
2nd: third lap, during hairpin after starting grid
1st: third lap, right before finish line
It would be best if you could pass the first checkpoint within 18 seconds of
the lead car. You may need to brake-gas-brake-gas to get through the first
hairpin after the start. Slow it down to 1st gear for the corkscrew. If you
hit the grass, restart.
Passing the lead car worth mentioning. I got stuck behind the 3rd AI car before the corkscrew in the second lap, and didn't pass it until the sweeping left that followed. So I lost some time there. By the time I caught up with the lead car in the third lap, I was still making the second to last right turn when
the lead car is appraoching the last tight left. Same thing with New York, the
lead car sucks at making the last turn so I am able to hit the gas about the
same time as it regains traction and start to accelerate. From there I simply
out-accelerate it towards the finish line and beat it by 0.058 seconds. Lucky.
Checkpoint Times:
1st lap: +18.282 +16.563 +15.074 +13.383
2nd lap: +11.435 +9.677 +8.815 +6.746
3rd lap: +4.747 +2.657 +2.055 -0.058
My time: 4:10.098
AI time: 4:10.156

Found this mission easy, you just need to be careful coming down the steep hill after corkscrew that you dont spin it at the bottom, but otherwise, an easy win

You've got to be kidding me...about 60 attempts and there's still one miniscule mistake that spoils each attempt. I've never know a car as unforgiving as the Ford GT. If the car handled this badly in real life, it would never be allowed on the road (hardly the 'real driving silmulator'. I reckon this should be re-named Mission Impossible not Misson Hall.

I've now gone from loving GT4 to hating it with a passion. This mission is really starting to p**s me off. I've watched the replay (link from another mission discussion) and have tried following the same lines. Yeah it's better, but I now know if i havn't caught the Concept Viper before the straight leading up to the corkscrew there's no point continuing. Likewise with the Camero (same place on lap 2).
Just the once I've been on the tail of the Oreca coming out of the corkscrew on lap 3, but (oh what a surprise) he hit me (coming from behind on the oustide) on the second to last corner and I get a 5 sec penalty.
I think i'm cursed.
HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP

just a suspicion of mine, but you drive automatic, right?

That could be the reason. Although you can certainly pass it driving automatic, this mission requires a lot of control over the car, since it's quite unforgiving of mistakes. One suggestion would be, when coming down from the corkscrew, change gears before reaching the red line, that way you ensure a quick acceleration throughout the downhill... of course, you'd have to do it in manual.

I tried that mission like 50 times and in the end just gave up. A couple of days later I started afresh and passed it on my third try. Good luck!

This one of those missions where you have to learn to be slow to be fast. Rushing into the corners will just result in losing time. And it certainly is possible with automatic (and a DS2) I caught the Oreca Viper in the braking to the Corkscrew and passed him in the following corner.

same here... although I did catch up to the last car coming out of that last hairpin, before the main straight. The mission is tricky, but mostly because it's not all acceleration, you have to be easy on the throttle and light on the braking, all the while making a swift lap... of course, maybe we're all wrong and you are indeed cursed.

ssgfx
I keep finishing door-to-door with that damn Viper. If I could ONLY get my nose out there a LITTLE further! lol

Draft him until you can smell his armpits, then pull out. But, for the love of God, don't hit him :) Failing that, find a couple of tenths in the final sector, where he is rather slow. Turns 9 and 10 (the sweeping left-hander after the corkscrew, and the right-hander leading into the final hairpin) are where you can pick up a bunch of time if you use a perfect line and finesse the brake pedal.

I finally beat it!!!!! :) :dopey: :)
I also used automatic tranny. make sure you dont get any wheels in the dirt or else dont even bother going on. I cought the viper on the last turn going into the straight and was too close to draft (i didnt want a penalty). I quickly pulled next to him and we were door to door for almost the entire straight :scared: , I funally pulled ahead and won by .05 seconds 👍

This mission is really getting to me now, i only have 4 left to do (11,12,13,14) but i cannot for the life of me catch that viper! i have watche the video and tryed to follow the line but for some reason i dont seem to have the same acceleration as in the said video. any ideas why this is or is it just me?

I'm afraid it's just you, you have to learn to drive slow to be fast. I guess you have the PAL version?

easty
... Yeah it's better, but I now know if i havn't caught the Concept Viper before the straight leading up to the corkscrew there's no point continuing. Likewise with the Camero (same place on lap 2).
Just the once I've been on the tail of the Oreca coming out of the corkscrew on lap 3, but (oh what a surprise) he hit me (coming from behind on the oustide) on the second to last corner and I get a 5 sec penalty.
I think i'm cursed.
HHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPP

Well, i think there´s always a little mistake that ruins your attempt. It´s quite easy to do a good lap, the problem is to complete three consecutive good laps. At the end i could win by taking a lot of risks and pushing very hard till the end of the last lap.
You don´t have to lead before the last corkscrew, see my gifdeo.
The videos are very interesting to learn things but seems that show missions easier than in real driving are. (I used DS2, automatic and joysticks, PAL).
Good luck and you only need hours of practice to pass it.

overtaking at last turn gifdeo
gt8de.gif

I'm making a video now of my mission 12 run. I passed the Viper fractions of a second after the line at the end of the second lap. I have passed him at the beginning of pit straight once but i stuffed up the corkscrew on the final lap on that run.

Does anyone want to see my video?

Mick777
I'm making a video now of my mission 12 run. I passed the Viper fractions of a second after the line at the end of the second lap. I have passed him at the beginning of pit straight once but i stuffed up the corkscrew on the final lap on that run.

Does anyone want to see my video?

I be suspicious :odd:

I didn't find this one all that hard either, did it third run. I really like the track, know the lines well, so that helped. I think I passed the Viper just after the Corkscrew on the third lap.

The problem with this mission IMO is that many people thought they could tackle it easily since they played it a lot on GT3. HOwever, the track has changed somewhat since the last game... and personally, I had a horrible time re-learning it.

kylehnat
I be suspicious :odd:

Why you be suspicious?

I pass the Viper on the way up the hill before the left-hand kink.
Pass the S7 on the inside under brakes in the right-hander before the final turn.
End of first lap.
Took the camaro on the exit of the hairpin.
Pass the Vette on the exit of the corkscrew.
End of 2nd lap, 0.030 behind Viper.
Continued pass Viper and finished with time 4'01.969

Here's the link to my video
http://media.putfile.com/Mission-12

Mick777
Why you be suspicious?

I pass the Viper on the way up the hill before the left-hand kink.
Pass the S7 on the inside under brakes in the right-hander before the final turn.
End of first lap.
Took the camaro on the exit of the hairpin.
Pass the Vette on the exit of the corkscrew.
End of 2nd lap, 0.030 behind Viper.
Continued pass Viper and finished with time 4'01.969

Here's the link to my video
http://media.putfile.com/Mission-12

Okay, I see it now. I was baffled, because I usually don't catch the Viper until the uphill drag towards the Corkscrew. But you must be much quicker through the first two sectors than me and I must be quicker through the final two, because your finishing time is only about 4-5 seconds quicker than mine, and all the cars start off in the same place, and the Viper is in the same place at the 4'00 mark. I also noticed your speedo is in kmh. Is that video from the PAL version? That was a very good run!

kylehnat
Okay, I see it now. I was baffled, because I usually don't catch the Viper until the uphill drag towards the Corkscrew. But you must be much quicker through the first two sectors than me and I must be quicker through the final two, because your finishing time is only about 4-5 seconds quicker than mine, and all the cars start off in the same place, and the Viper is in the same place at the 4'00 mark. I also noticed your speedo is in kmh. Is that video from the PAL version? That was a very good run!

Yes it was PAL. If you put your splits up, i'll put in mine so we can compare. I'll have to watch the original video to get them because the wmv image quality isn't good enough to read them reliably.

thanks for the help fellas (esp. mick777 for posting the video). I tried like 30 times and came close a few times -- so frustrating. Then i came here and found a couple of ways to trim off a bit of time, tried again and got it on my next clean run (3rd try).

lanjiow
thanks for the help fellas (esp. mick777 for posting the video). I tried like 30 times and came close a few times -- so frustrating. Then i came here and found a couple of ways to trim off a bit of time, tried again and got it on my next clean run (3rd try).
No worries about the video. I'll make a video of almost anything. If you're having trouble with any other missions just let me know. I have videos of my favourites already on my website http://md-dms.twbc.net just click on the word videos.

My run on Mission 12.

I've yet to beat mission 11, so I went on to give mission 12 a go.

I was surprised to see such a transition from 11 to 12, going from the 2000 to the ford gt.

What a run this was, I found it easy to learn the braking points mostly because I always slam on the brakes very late every turn. It took me probably over 15 tries (not all of them finished) to beat the Viper. I pulled in front of him on the final turn by passing him RIGHT before it, braking late on the inside of the turn, and then just staying in front of him.

Turn 1 (2?) (Andretti hairpin). I always brake late enough on this turn (slamming on the brakes) so that you're still braking by the time you're in the middle of the two tiny sharp corners, then I just plant the gas, touch the clipping point and then stay to the outside so I can prepare for turn 4.

Turn 3 is the right you take after turn 1 (or 2 if you count turn 1 as the open wide left after the starting line). This I brake fairly late also so that you're still braking into the turn (but BARELY) then accelerating through the clipping point and then slowly widen into the left of the track, preparing you for turn 4.

Turn 4. This one isn't nearly as sharp as 3. This one I normally gasit just until you have to turn sharp and then just press on the brakes 50%-80% depending on where you started to brake. Not much braking is needed here and you can use the whole inside of the corner to accel through, slowly making your way to the left side of the track. No need to go all the way on that side of the track, since you'll need to prepare for your next turn.

Turn 5. You're braking light suggestor, thing, will tell you to hit 2nd gear. I did as it said the first 10 or so tries, then instead I tried just hitting 3rd gear (because I wasn't even in 2nd gear for very long, so going into 2nd gear waisted more time because of the shifting). Stay on the outside, brake late, then kind of jerk it left so that you're clipping point is on the rumble strip, then slowly make your way wide to take advantage of all the track you can going to the right side of the track.

Turn 6 had me confused on where to brake for a long time. On this turn I'm used to not even braking and just gunning it around, but you really can't in this car. What I did was I surprisingly hit the brakes early, so that I could accel through the turn (on lap one you should be right behind the 5th place car at this point). Take advantages of all the track you can, use the clipping point, and be careful not to touch the dirt, I've found it easy to accidentally spin out of control here if not done correctly.

Turn 7 and 8 (The Corkscrew!). This is a lot easier when you've passed the car in front of you before hand (should happen on lap 1 and 2). Once you've passed your car around here, take the line on the road that looks like where everyone else has slammed on the brakes (the dark part of the road). Hit the brakes hard as soon as the light comes on. You'll have to learn where to turn when braking and how to get to the outside quickly before turn 8. Once you've passed turn 8 you should be going down hill and slamming the gas (this takes a bit of steering skill, so that you don't touch the dirt and spin out of control). make your way to the right side of the track quickly so that you can take turn 9 correctly.

Turn 9 is a wide turn at first. Stay more to the outside for the first half of the turn, then charge inward hitting the clipping pint on the exit (rumble strip) then go wide, slowly making your way to the outside (the right saide) of the track, then set yourself up for turn 10.

Turn 10, at the beginning stay to the left side of the track, brake early while turning into the corner a bit, and then gas it while turning into andout of the apex.

Turn 11. This is most likely where you'll go head to head with the 1st place Viper. If you're not going agsint someone here (most likely a second or so behind them), brake late on the outside, almost to a crawl, then burst through the apex (brake so that you can start to gas it before you have to jerk the car left, so that you're accelerating through the turn as much as possible, slow in, fast out). If you have someone to deal with during this turn, just stay to the left of them, brake later then them, and then make sure you stay to the inside of the their turn so you can burst out in front.

Hope this helps. My first few laps were all 7+ seconds behind the viper, sometimes in 3rd or 4th place at the end. All this mission takes is learning how to deal with braking points and the AI drivers (I was really close to winning once withone 5scd penalty).

Go get that viper!

Hi All,

the penatlty .... a fine thing, when it happends both , me and the AI, but it doesn't. After Corkscrew you should never passing the AI driver, it isn't a good idea. In the ground you think you can push to gas and passing him , but at turn 8 the AI is rubble to your Ford GT ( with a stupid SETUP ) and get no penalty.
Why ??? has PD not think about it ??

Other misterious is that, in a repeat of a session the Ford has other combatant, the Viper at the 5th position my be faster or somteimes not. Take a look at you times... and compare with the place were the Viper be. I get trainee sessions to learn more about the track, first i'm unsing a sportscar ( BMW M5) and second a racecar ( Doge Viper GTR) . My times whit the Viper GTR Oreca is so fast that the Ford GT never can beat it ( 1.18 min) . At last i'm using a Ford GT II 05, ( at Arcade Mode ) and try a 25 lap session, my best lap is 1.23... min. The besttime in real world is 1.07 min, i never beat it in F1 car or Mazda 787 ( 1.12 min) . So i can say i have a lot of experience with this track, bit this Mission is a mysterie ....

merry christmas everybody, and good luck with mission 12
bye Ralf

You can brake really late in the Ford. Really, really late. I passed the Viper going up the hill towards the corkscrew and finished 6.349 seconds ahead.

I tried this mission a couple times months ago, and had stopped playing GT4. I recently started playing again (and re-visiting GTP) and gave this mission another go. It took me about 3 clean runs to beat it, and about 5~6 restarts. I didn't think it was terribly hard since I really liked how well the Ford drove. I don't remember the details, but I think I was able to outbrake the Viper going into the Corkscrew, or I passed him just afterwards.

Just completed this myself on the second attempt, on the first try I did a really bad first sector, and finished 6 seconds behind.

I passed the first Viper going up the hill before the Corkscrew @ 0'56, I had a drift on the corner folowing the Corkscrew, but managed to hold things together, and I passed the S7 coming out of the last corner @ 1'24.

I passed the Camaro on the hill before the Corkscrew @ 2'14 in pretty much the same place as the first Viper, and then passed the Corvette going over the finish line @ 2'50.

I was right behind the Oreca Viper going up the hill towards the Corkscrew, I gave him a slight tap under braking and got a penalty, but I managed to get in front of him still braking into the corner, I blocked him going down the corkscrew and he took to the gravel passing me on the inside, I got up behind him around the 3rd to last corner, and passed him going down the slope into the next corner, and went on to win by 0'02.513
banana.gif

edit: i was using DS2, manual gears, PAL

Back