DSJ: Vol 3 - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
Drift Settings Journal: Volume 3 - '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR

DSJ3.jpg

Welcome to the Drift Settings Journal.

Here we will thoroughly examine the handling characteristics of various cars in Gran Turismo 4 with the primary focus of the discussion set on their potential as a drift machine. The discussion will remain open for as long as people wish to add input, but a new subject car will be selected on a bi-weekly basis based on the results of a nomination thread.

I don't intend to impose a heavy structure on the conversation. Basically, you're open to post any observations, feedback, or settings for the car that you wish (provided that it is constructive and drift related). Drift it how you want, where you want and let us know your thoughts and about your tuning process and tactics.

I would like for this discussion to be a way of discovering new tuning methods and styles from others. Hopefully it will also become a place to openly talk about drift related handling problems of the current topic car and learn how others have compensated for such short-comings.

If you have any suggestions with regard to how this idea may be made more succesful, please PM them to me.

The subject car for this volume as selected by the forum in the nomination thread is:
Subject Car: '04 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR GSR
  • May be purchased from Mitsubishi Dealership (33 980 Cr.).

Let the drift settings discussion begin.
AWD, this should be a good one. 👍

Well for once I'm completely blank... I tried setting up this car a couple of times and it just wouldn't go sideways... not in a controlled manner anyway. I hope this journal will make me wiser...

Btw grats on new premium, BL :sly:

ya, I gave in and purchased a year. I need that big inbox.

I was planning to do some hardcore school work today. But got I woke up all hungover and then got in an really dumb argument over the phone with the gf, about eyeliner of all things. I'll spare you the details, just know that I was right and she was wrong. :sly: lol
Then I went out to get lunch and the exhaust on my car separated at the cat. I just had that 'fixed' less than 1500 km's ago, and it's already come undone. Thursday is the earliest that I can make it to the garage to get it welded up.

...forgive me, but a little venting feels good sometimes.

All in all, a miserable day so far, and I've only been out of bed for about 3 hours.
It's bound to be unproductive day from a scholastic standpoint.
I'll probably play some GT4 after I finish eating my Whopper, but before the hockey comes on CBC - provided that I don't get myself into any more cosmetic arguments.
I've been fiddling with some Legacy settings for the past month or so. Hopefully my slight progress on that machine will offer me some help with this one.
This might be another one quite reliant on LSD and damper settings Ske.

Where's FI at? I can't wait to see what he's done with this car.

I'm hoping the AWD gurus will come out of their hiding places for this one ;)

Personally, I want this car set up for proper awd handling (I guess most of us do), so I'll start off without VCD for this one. I'm also unsure about the whole YAW control vs LSD thing... that might be a good place to start experimenting...

Forget what I said about settings tonight, I didn't it'd be that hard to drift this thing. I want to see what you guys/girls have to say in this...

Here's what I got so far. For some reason, it seems much easier to drift this now than it was when I first tried.

So far, the biggest problem is kicking out the rear without slowing down or tightening the line... this is probably caused by my lack of technique, but I remember this being pretty easy with the Impreza coupe (power off, flick the steering a little). Basically, response mid-drift could be better, it seems to need very high entry angles to sustain a drift yet. It doesn't insta-straighten up on power when using LSD.

Note: This setup uses an N2/N1 tire mix for now..

HP: 450-500 // Mix n match, the car has plenty of torque
Gears: // I seem to redline a little too quickly, so i set them high
-- Autoset: 14
Everything else, bar stiffening // Haven't tried stiffening yet though, might help
Full custom LSD // AYC seems to make the car less predictable on power
-- Initial: 10/10
-- Accel: 40/40
-- Decel: 8/8
VCD
-- Front distribution: 25%
Full custom suspension // My "default - looser" setup, slightly and randomly modified
-- Springs: 11/8
-- Ride Height: 122/132
-- Bound: 7/2
-- Rebound: 8/4
-- Camber: 3/1.5
-- Toe: 0/0
-- Stabilizers: 4/2
Stock brakes w/controller
-- Brake Balance: 3/12
No additional downforce // Aerodynamics just messes everything up ;)

Edit: Who was I kidding? The car is still a nightmare :yuck: The engine feels choky even at 525HP, and it just straightens out if I as much as think about putting my foot down.. Well, I made it decently loose and willing to zero counter, but the LSD and VCDs are very biased now... and we don't want that

well, this is a difficult car to drift. Mainly cuz it needs to get on a diet. But you can change around the settings a bit make it work ok. Ahhh, these are my first settings i have posted, so if anybody knows a better way, lemme (and everyone else) know.

stuff to buy- all of the HP and Tranny and suspension stuff, but go with a stage 5 tuner turbo, it gives a better all around power band. N1's, weight reduction stage 3. Racing brakes, and balance controller.

Suspension-
spring rate-10.1/7.4
ride height-92/92
Shock bound-8/7
Shock Rebound-8/7
Camber angle-0.0/0.1
Toe Angle- -1/0
Stabilizers-1/1

Tranny-auto set 10

LSD-
Initial-5/55
Acceleration-5/60
Decel.-5/5
(no yaw, as this will override the LSD and set it to stock)

Brakes-1/24

Aids-all off

Front wheel distribution-10

Weight
Ballast-200
F/R- -50(full front)

And again, it is a very hard car to drift, but if you are a good drifter, you can make it happen, it'd be nice to see some other people's settings, then we could see which aspects of each work. But the car will need a lot of steering control to throw it in a slide, like this...

All of your drift settings would work in GT3 but not so well in GT4. You guys are missing one very important aspect that differs from my settings :).

It'll be rude to just give you all answers. I really want to encourage more discussion before I give away my settings :)

get engine stuff/turbo/exhaust to get hp to 481
all drivetrain mods (2-way lsd)
racing brakes and controller
weight reduction 2
AYC and VCD
front tires sports soft
reat tires sports hard
stock suspension
aids=0
stock transmission
brake balance 5/1
AYC 130
VCD 10

It drifts really well (for me because I like body roll and good grip) except for the fact that the front tires still have torque to straighten it out mid drift. Im new to tuning AWD and using vcd and ayc, so Im not sure what to do about the problem. It could probably be solved with lsd or something. any help?

hideyourface
get engine stuff/turbo/exhaust to get hp to 481
all drivetrain mods (2-way lsd)
racing brakes and controller
weight reduction 2
AYC and VCD
front tires sports soft
reat tires sports hard
stock suspension
aids=0
stock transmission
brake balance 5/1
AYC 130
VCD 10

You can't use LSD and AYC at the same time, they take up the same 'slot'... What I've found it that AYC will make the car oversteer nicely on power-off, but the car doesn't behave very good when the foot is down. I'm going for LSD for this one, and I'm thinking 1.5-way or even 1-way unless you're customising it. 2-way seems to be way too tight for this one.

I'd definitely change the suspension on this car, as that seems to be the best way of fine-tuning the handling (though I have to admit I haven't tried stock yet). I don't know about your choice of tires either... I seem to get way too much grip even with N2 tires, but I guess that's preference.

Other comments: Brake balance 5/1 seems weird for a drift car.. with something like 3/15 you should be more able to brake drift, which is very useful for AWDs IMO. Also, VCD of 10 seems like you're trying to make the car handle like an FR, but to be honest I'm starting to think that kind of setting is necessary for this car to drift.

I've been messing with LSD 5/10/5 front and 30/50/8 rear, as well as VCD 10.. and right about now it feels a bit like the Impreza ver. VI with 'proper' awd settings.. It's pretty good at holding angles with zero counter, but obviously those kinds of settings are dodgy to put it mildly... though the car most definitely still handles like a 4WD.

I'm desperately hoping there's a way to set up this car with more neutral settings.. but I'm getting frustrated already :grumpy:

FI, we neeeeeed yooooo... cmoon ;)

LOLOLOLOL i cheat and i make it basicly into a FR (it feels like a FR) i use:

Fully tuned (original turbo) and (original suspension)

tyre n2/n1

Springrate 8/3.4
ridehight 105/105
damper 8/5
camper 2.5/0.8
stablisers 1/1

Brake balance 6/20

gears autoset 6 (only because im new 2 drifting)

VCD 50

LSD standard

All aids off

Im really new so i tryed my best

With VCD 50? O.o

Maybe PD is fooling us once again? Hmm.. I'll check this out when I get home from work.

I want all 4 tires to light up on an AWD, but I never really felt like I got what I wanted from tuning the VCD.. I'll be sure to check doing it like that (so many settings are "wrong" in GT4 anyway).

Also, I'm not quite sure how far I "should" go when it comes to tuning.. obviously, I won't use ASM, but will the ends justify the means, even if it means extreme VCD and LSD settings? I got this urge to keep my settings "clean" and as neutral as possible..

Ske
You can't use LSD and AYC at the same time, they take up the same 'slot'... What I've found it that AYC will make the car oversteer nicely on power-off, but the car doesn't behave very good when the foot is down. I'm going for LSD for this one, and I'm thinking 1.5-way or even 1-way unless you're customising it. 2-way seems to be way too tight for this one.

I'd definitely change the suspension on this car, as that seems to be the best way of fine-tuning the handling (though I have to admit I haven't tried stock yet). I don't know about your choice of tires either... I seem to get way too much grip even with N2 tires, but I guess that's preference.

Other comments: Brake balance 5/1 seems weird for a drift car.. with something like 3/15 you should be more able to brake drift, which is very useful for AWDs IMO. Also, VCD of 10 seems like you're trying to make the car handle like an FR, but to be honest I'm starting to think that kind of setting is necessary for this car to drift.

I've been messing with LSD 5/10/5 front and 30/50/8 rear, as well as VCD 10.. and right about now it feels a bit like the Impreza ver. VI with 'proper' awd settings.. It's pretty good at holding angles with zero counter, but obviously those kinds of settings are dodgy to put it mildly... though the car most definitely still handles like a 4WD.

I'm desperately hoping there's a way to set up this car with more neutral settings.. but I'm getting frustrated already :grumpy:

well, I like to keep stock suspension and hard tires. You can slide a lot as long as the hp isn't low. I'd at least try out my settings if I were you, but I've still got to try to use the lsd.

Ske

The evo doesn't go sideways with conventional AWD settings. I found that out the hard way.

After a couple of hours of intense concentration and fidgetting with everything in settings (haha), I found out that you have to tune this dam evo the way you will never tune any other AWD (maybe).

I used LSD settings as low (8-10) on front and higher (35-40) at back on everything.

Keep in mind I'm using n2 tires up front and n1 tires in the back.

Here's the little tweak I've discovered.
Other than the LSD, I really haven't tuned anything else that intensely except for the brake controller. low in front, higher in back.

Now, to the aids.
Set ASM understeer to 2 and turn the others off.

Now, I know all of you are saying "don't mess with aids; it's not the way to go" (double entendre hahaha) but I've decided that to turn this evo beast sideways, this is a factor I've discovered to be crucial.

At first, all of those who are trying this out will say "it's way to unstable" but with proper technique, I've grown so used to it that the evo has become my best drifter.

Try this out and give me some feedback. It may boil down to personal preference, but this sure works for me.

I will have some evo footage on my next movie (releasing it in about 1-2 weeks) as soon as I find a program other than premiere that can render picture in picture. DR, I sent you a pm on that by the way.

Happy sliding
-F.i.

ForcedInduction
I will have some evo footage on my next movie (releasing it in about 1-2 weeks) as soon as I find a program other than premiere that can render picture in picture. DR, I sent you a pm on that by the way.

any Vegas program will do that. You just have to reduce the size the video you wish to overlay and specify a new origin for it (unless you really want to have it dead center in the movie frame).

Haven't had time to make any significant progress on the Evo yet. Studying and so forth...
Thursday is looking good.

Hmm asm eh? :odd:

Well, if it has to come to that, then I would deem this car untunable lol.. but with extreme rear bias on LSD/VCD it can start to behave like a proper awd..

BTW, I very warmly recommend using Vegas for video editing.. it supports just about everything you need (including pic in pic), and its roughly 2.08 billion times easier to use than anything else. Probably double that for Premiere.

Ske
Hmm asm eh? :odd:

Well, if it has to come to that, then I would deem this car untunable lol.. but with extreme rear bias on LSD/VCD it can start to behave like a proper awd..

BTW, I very warmly recommend using Vegas for video editing.. it supports just about everything you need (including pic in pic), and its roughly 2.08 billion times easier to use than anything else. Probably double that for Premiere.

Yea, ASM is very helpful. It doesn't require extreme tuning to other components and still gets the job done, imho.

I'm new to vegas and just got a copy of sonic foundry vegas video 4.0. Is that the right one?

Can one of you show me how to do PIP with vegas via pm? thanks.

I really reccomend me settings if you cant get it sideways without aids/tons of difference in brakes. I'd like if someone could help me get the car to stay sideways under acceleration too p:. But when you drift in to the corner it handles really nicely.

@FI
I use Vegas 6.0, you can d/l a 60 day full trial from the official site. Picture in Picture is ridiculously easy:
- Place the clip you want in a frame on a new layer/track
- Hit a button called "Track Motion", and you'll see a rectangle on a canvas.
- Scale and move the rectangle as you please, and you have a "PIP" frame showing that clip. The scaled clip will zoom to fit the smaller frame automatically (but it can be cropped just as easily)
- This effect applies to the whole layer/track, and can be automated by adding keyframes..
Trust me.. once you find that "Track motion" button (on the track control palette to the left) you're there...

@hyf
That problem is the AYC talking, I think. If you swap it for an LSD with loose front and tighter rear, you should see that the car behaves more consistently. It may also come from the fact that you're using very grippy tires, but that's just my opinion ;)

^^ I sent FI a PM with a link to the Vegas 4.0 Manual. It has a detailed guide on how to do PIP effects. It's slightly different than Vegas 6 - especially if using the timeline to create motion effects with it.

Anyways, back to this Mitsubishi

Ah yeah.. but since 6.0 is a free download, I think you should check it out ;) Unless 4 is better in some way.

Anyway.. Thursday, you say? How do you feel about tuning a DSJ awd car with extreme LSD/VCD bias, BL? You're the boss around here ;) I don't feel quite comfortable with it myself.. but the car does feel better and it's still far from acting like an FR

Ske
Ah yeah.. but since 6.0 is a free download, I think you should check it out ;) Unless 4 is better in some way.

Anyway.. Thursday, you say? How do you feel about tuning a DSJ awd car with extreme LSD/VCD bias, BL? You're the boss around here ;) I don't feel quite comfortable with it myself.. but the car does feel better and it's still far from acting like an FR

don't feel comfortable with the weird looking settings? or don't feel comfotable driving them?

My view (on these 'hard' subject cars in particular) is if it works it works. The game physics are mucked to the very core, so I think realistic or traditional looking settings could be tossed out the window. I know I've said things in other threads contradictory to this latest remark (...the Drift Reference immediately comes to mind...), but I only intended those comments to be looked at and considered on a very broad scope - perhaps applied to more drift friendly cars.
If the regular isnt working, do the irregular.

I'm not going to impose any rules on the thing, I've said from the start that this should be a pretty loosely structured and open discussion. I only want this conversation to open our eyes to some settings, or general tuning theme, that works well on the subject car.

Look at what we were doing with the dampers and ballast last time on the Z-tune. Hardly what I would call 'the norm'.

Boundary Layer
don't feel comfortable with the weird looking settings? or don't feel comfotable driving them?

My view (on these 'hard' subject cars in particular) is if it works it works. The game physics are mucked to the very core, so I think realistic or traditional looking settings could be tossed out the window. I know I've said things in other threads contradictory to this latest remark (...the Drift Reference immediately comes to mind...), but I only intended those comments to be looked at and considered on a very broad scope - perhaps applied to more drift friendly cars.
If the regular isnt working, do the irregular.

I'm not going to impose any rules on the thing, I've said from the start that this should be a pretty loosely structured and open discussion. I only want this conversation to open our eyes to some settings, or general tuning theme, that works well on the subject car.

Look at what we were doing with the dampers and ballast last time on the Z-tune. Hardly what I would call 'the norm'.

yea, this is my belief also. If the settings work, they work. There's no conventional way to tune a car...

I've gone as far as tuning to ASM understeer because they work for me. Ske, give it a try? I guess it's personal preference, but I can handle these settings very well and I just want others to try it out also and give some feedback.

Ske and BL, can you try setting ASM understeer to 1 and 2 (if 1 doesn't get you sideways) and give me some feedback? I need you guys on this. THANKS mucho.

Latest Posts

Back