DSJ: Archives Thread - DSJ Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
Welcome to the Drift Settings Journal Archives

Here we will thoroughly examine the handling characteristics of various cars in Gran Turismo 4 with the primary focus of the discussion set on their potential as a drift machine. The discussions will remain open for as long as people wish to add input, but I will select a new subject car on a bi-weekly basis for the next volume.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Next Volume:
Volume 14: arrives September 23rd, 2006​

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -​

Current Volume:

Previous Volumes:

This probably won't be a popular choice, but I've become fascinated with this car recently:

Nomination: Lotus Carlton ('90)

It'd be interesting to see its potential.

Nice! The technical discussion I've been waiting for. This is what you were talking about in the "Drift Revelation" thread, right?.. Looks like my 10km '91 FD is going to get some good use after all..

Nomination: Nismo R32 GT-R S-Tune '00

Interesting idea...Volume 1 surprised me, i'm gonna have to check that car out...

My nomination as of right now would have to be:
Nissan Skyline HT 2000 RS-X Turbo C ('84)

KaiZen
Nice! The technical discussion I've been waiting for. This is what you were talking about in the "Drift Revelation" thread, right?.. Looks like my 10km '91 FD is going to get some good use after all..

Nomination: Nismo R32 GT-R S-Tune '00

did u ever try the settings i gave u?

btw...awesome idea! cant wait to see what develops from this

Lotus Motorsport Elise '99

I'd like ot see this car smoothed out, as it's currently the most extreme and hard to control drifter in my garage!!!

Holden Monaro CV8. This car can drift, no doubt bout it. But drifting it near stock is actually better compared to when you tune it too much. Would like to see whether anyone can pump up the power and still keep it driftable. I tried and it was scary.

help for the rx-7.....N2 tires, not N3 (too much snap after drift) and N1s slide way to much

i was thinking small cars.....
two that i have not found very good settings for are:
Suzuki Cappucino '95
Honda Beat '91

the suzuki just cant get into drifts as easily as my autozam....and the honda beat, well i never got that thing to drift well (but im trying again as i type....oh carp! wall!!!)

the mazda autozam is an awesome drifter, and i already have a great setup that i had to perfect for weeks myself (no one sees the potential in this car :P)

Are you kidding me?! Those are extra easy dude. If you put turbo on, maybe that's why. Put n2's on them, NA Stage 3, all the drivetrain stuff...Trust me, it's easy

im not saying i cant drift them, i just think they can drift better than what they can do now...... the suzuki could drift much better than it can now....it has around the same hp and weight as the autozam, plus the settings are similar, but the autozam is sooo much better....oh well ill keep at it

as for the honda, i made some good settings, so just the suzuki needs improvement

btw: 100th view

My nomination: Nissan Nismo Fairlady Z Z-Tune (Z33) ('03)

Good looking car, but it wants to grip too much

I don't know if we can do this, but maybe instead of the FF Civic I was thinking about to drift? Can we please try out the Supra RZ '97? I've been trying forever to do it, but no way!! Please and thank you

CoolGeekz
help for the rx-7.....N2 tires, not N3 (too much snap after drift) and N1s slide way to much

i was thinking small cars.....
two that i have not found very good settings for are:
Suzuki Cappucino '95
Honda Beat '91

the suzuki just cant get into drifts as easily as my autozam....and the honda beat, well i never got that thing to drift well (but im trying again as i type....oh carp! wall!!!)

the mazda autozam is an awesome drifter, and i already have a great setup that i had to perfect for weeks myself (no one sees the potential in this car :P)

coolgeekz, only 1 nomination. RX7 comments can go in the volume 1 thread

ekmatt9
I don't know if we can do this, but maybe instead of the FF Civic I was thinking about to drift? Can we please try out the Supra RZ '97? I've been trying forever to do it, but no way!! Please and thank you
ooooh, i second that

Nomination : Supra RZ '97

why no one hasn't mention the Nissan S15 Silvia? a very great ballanced car.... for drifting

Because this thread is for the detailing of a car that has "problems" in drifting. So almost any one can drift the S15 Silvia. BL made this so we can examine one car when its drifting to find out its problems.

Ok a skyline R32 4WD. I dont have the EXACT name so please name it for me lol. I'm really curious how the car will handle.

I want countersteering settings.....cause come on, wtf is fun about non-countersteer:lol: It should just drift as FR car, but even better;)
Can this be possible in the first place Boundary? I dont like the fact that 4WD means you shouldn't countersteer.

G-T-4-Fan
Ok a skyline R32 4WD. I dont have the EXACT name so please name it for me lol. I'm really curious how the car will handle.

I want countersteering settings.....cause come on, wtf is fun about non-countersteer:lol: It should just drift as FR car, but even better;)
Can this be possible in the first place Boundary? I dont like the fact that 4WD means you shouldn't countersteer.

Oh dear lord... If you want it to drift like a FR, you should just be drifting a FR... AWD drifts like AWD... Period... Drifting without any countersteering is how you drift AWD's... It is the most efficient method... Whether you like it or not, that's how it is...

;)

LOL! I knew it, but come on, I just want to have fun, not drift by the rules! I'm soo used to FR cars, I cant just non-countersteer, and if I pick up on it it's DAAAAAMMMNNN easy I know cause 4WD drifting was the first drifting I was able to do and I won a challenge against NK4E and TD with it.

Come on, just for fun m8s? Or are we gonna stick to these "rules"?!:indiff::grumpy:

The fact that I play this GAME shows that I just want to have fun. If this is about GT4, it's about fun, not rules....

Edit: No offence though buddy;)

hmm the R34 can drift like an FR car pretty much straight out of the box.. I too sometimes have that tendency to just wanna drift that specific body shell type for the heck of it. But since you're talking R32.. just stick to the FR models then, it's only the grille that looks different ;)

Or, you could just mix tires for a quick fix.. but the real fun is in mastering true awd drifting, isn't it?

G-T-4-Fan
LOL! I knew it, but come on, I just want to have fun, not drift by the rules! I'm soo used to FR cars, I cant just non-countersteer, and if I pick up on it it's DAAAAAMMMNNN easy I know cause 4WD drifting was the first drifting I was able to do and I won a challenge against NK4E and TD with it.

Come on, just for fun m8s? Or are we gonna stick to these "rules"?!:indiff::grumpy:

The fact that I play this GAME shows that I just want to have fun. If this is about GT4, it's about fun, not rules....

Edit: No offence though buddy;)

Do whatever you want... No one is stopping you from drifting AWD's like FR's... For most, the fun of drifting AWD's is the challenge of controlling a vehicle with very few steering inputs... If you watch my "Positive Lock" video, you will see that I do utilize countersteer with AWD's (watch the blue R33 GTR for a good example), but only if absolutely necessary, either to extend a drift, widen the line a bit, or reduce angle... Countersteering has it's place with all drivetrains... I just get tired of seeing people at full lock with AWD's throughout an entire drift, because that really limits the full potential of AWD drifting... Countersteering should be used sparingly with AWD's as a helpful tool... Setting your VCD to 10% front distribution is just silly in my opinion, although it will make the car act more like a RWD... Give that a try if you really want to drift AWD's like RWD's...

;)

if you're making a AWD car to drive/drift like a RWD by distributing the VCD to minimal at the front, it's better off calling that a "RWD" drift.

with that kind of settings, the car feels almost like a rear wheel drive, you would need to counter steer more while you're drifting, but don't call that a AWD drift, because it's not anymore. :)

Boundary Layer
nominations anyone?

Looks like the Supra is leading the show (with 2 votes?) now.. and I kinda struggle with that one too, so it's all good 👍

Would making this thread a poll be an idea? Keep editing the first page to add the new suggestions? Though that would mean that someone would have to check in very often...

I Nominate...

Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type M '89

Reasons: I can Drift this puppy, For sure i can. But there is so much more potential there. And i want different perspectives on setups, Techniques, etc.

Ske
Looks like the Supra is leading the show (with 2 votes?) now.. and I kinda struggle with that one too, so it's all good 👍

Would making this thread a poll be an idea? Keep editing the first page to add the new suggestions? Though that would mean that someone would have to check in very often...

pretty sure you cant edit a poll after you open in. I may well be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back