Which was your first...Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Diego440
  • 74 comments
  • 6,042 views

Diego440

Born to browse
Premium
Messages
12,486
Venezuela
CCS
Messages
GTP_Diego
CD, LP and/or Cassette?

LP: My first LP record was a 45 rpm one (single), Iron Maiden's Can I Play With Madness

Cassette: AC/DC's For Those About to Rock, We Salute You

CD: My first CD I got as a gift, and was Pink Floyd's A Collection of Great Dance Songs; but my first purchased CD was Metallica's ...And Justice for All... and I'll secretly admit I also bought Bon Jovi's New Jersey :guilty:
 
LP: Well, I've bought them for people, but I've shamefully never had one of my own. I have been close to buying some, but I never have.

Cassette: Pearl Jam - Ten

CD: AC/DC - Back In Black
 
LP - thats a tough one. I think it was LFO - LFO. A classic old electro dance song.

Cassette - i have no idea as all my tapes got sold on ebay for the handsome sum of £10 (about 70 tapes

CD - I think i brought my first CD in the year of 94 and it was some dance music compilation but again the name escapes me
 
My first LP album was this one
%5B1982-12-01%5D%20Thriller.jpg

(33rpm):p

with 3 45rpm Star Wars story discs 👍 along with a turntable for Christmas when I was 5 years old.

I think my first cassette was this:
3a_7.JPG

:guilty:

along with a portable sound system for my... 10th birthday. (perhaps 9th, not 100% sure)

For my first CD, I think I didn't buy one before 98, when I bought a CD player for my car, so It's some techno CD from that year.
 
LP: Whats an LP? J/K, although I admit, i've never bought one.

Cassette: NWA - Yes, I was 9 at the time, so why did a sales clerk sell it too me?! My virgin ears were brutally raped after listening to that tape over and over again.

CD: 20 Famous trucking songs. Seriously, out of the bargin bin back in 1990 for $10 (it was a bargain back then I guess). First real CD would have to be Pearl Jam - 10, and Nirvana - Nevermind, bought at the same time back in 1992.
 
LP: I don't remember! :( First LP I bought in the States was a George Harrison's supposedly self titled album from 1979.

Cassette: They were Japanese. First one that you guys would recognize was "Top Gun" soundtrack.

CD: Still one of my favorite of all time, Paul McCartney's "Tripping the Live Fantastic" 2CD Set. :O
 
LP: I was about 6 when I got Beethoven's 5th Symphony from my dad...listened to it for a while, didn't like it.

Cassette: Don't remember at all...

CD: AC/DC's AC/DC Live
 
I just never bought any music when I was young. My friends had the music I liked so I was just listening to it with them. :)

Cassette: Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles
CD: Korn - Issues

Last:
Cassette: RATM - The Battle Of Los Angeles
CD: Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish And The Hot-Dog Flavoured Water

After that, I made deals for ****s against cds, got it from my brother or simply downloaded it.
 
LP: Since when has the Libertarian Party been up for sale?

Cassette: Never bought one. Mom bought a few Raffi cassettes for me when I was little though.

CD: I think U2’s Joshua Tree, though I’m not 100% positive.
 
I've had a lot of tapes givin' to me, but there was ONE tape I bought for myself, by myself, with only my money.

It was December 31st 1983, and Mom and I were at Target, the new Super Store. Well, new to our area, anyway. There we were, shopping for snack foods, soda, wine and the usual New Year's Eve crap, and I went to the music center of Target. There it was. In the V letter section of the cassette tapes, with a New! tag in bright red and yellow neon colors pointing out its location.

I ignored it, and looked through the Van Halen section. I noticed the tag coming closer, and closer and closer as I flipped through the Van Halen tapes. Then, BINGO! There it was. The album I've been waiting for. On its very first day it went on sale. Van Halen - 1984.

The cover was awesome, depicting a young kid with wings like an angel, smoking a cigarette. It was the coolest looking album cover I've ever seen. I had ten bucks on me, and bought my first ever album for $7.99 plus tax. It was a moment to remember, obviously.

I rang in the New Year listening to it over, and over, and over again.
 
Cassette: some weird al thing (trigger happy, smells like teen spirit or whatever) or that mickey's rap jams tape thingy.
 
Solid Lifters
I've had a lot of tapes givin' to me, but there was ONE tape I bought for myself, by myself, with only my money.

It was December 31st 1983, and Mom and I were at Target, the new Super Store. Well, new to our area, anyway. There we were, shopping for snack foods, soda, wine and the usual New Year's Eve crap, and I went to the music center of Target. There it was. In the V letter section of the cassette tapes, with a New! tag in bright red and yellow neon colors pointing out its location.

I ignored it, and looked through the Van Halen section. I noticed the tag coming closer, and closer and closer as I flipped through the Van Halen tapes. Then, BINGO! There it was. The album I've been waiting for. On its very first day it went on sale. Van Halen - 1984.

The cover was awesome, depicting a young kid with wings like an angel, smoking a cigarette. It was the coolest looking album cover I've ever seen. I had ten bucks on me, and bought my first ever album for $7.99 plus tax. It was a moment to remember, obviously.

I rang in the New Year listening to it over, and over, and over again.
A very cool story of a very cool first album, which would be one of my favourite albums from any genre of all time. 👍
 
LP - I never bought one. My dad supplied me with some old classical music and some other stuff that he couldn't stand (he was in the recording industry for a few years, so he had tons of free stuff). I got my dad's old Kenwood turntable, casette deck, and receiver unit. Both died after a few years, except the receiver, which lasted me about 12 years. It was so old, it had analog needles showing input and output volumes (with redlines!), and chrome toggle switches that made a noise when you turned them on and off. Naturally, this was nothing short of awesome.

Somehow that head unit lasted until 1997. I wanted to get parts, but nobody could find a supplier, and Kenwood discontinued support for it.

Cassette - Again, lots of old crap that I inherited. The first album I ever bought was Weird Al Yanckovic's - Dare to be Stupid in December 1985. I stopped listening to it after 6 months and gave it away. I used to record a lot of junk off the radio at this time, I didn't start buying tapes for a few more years.

CD - Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet. It was March 1990, and my dad had to take me to buy it, as it had an "Explicit Lyrics" warning. Mind you, this area of the country was suddenly policing the sales of music to minors because of the 2 Live Crew scandal of the late-1980s....(by the way, I bought that album on cassette...actually illegal to own in Florida for a time!).

I still have this album, maybe I listen to it about twice a year. Still their finest and best-produced hour.

I had just inherited my dad's 1983-spec Sony CD player. This CD player weighed about 20 pounds, and had so many freakin' buttons and tiny lights on it that aren't on CD players anymore (mainly because they've been replaced by DVD players). how many CD players have an "index" button, or a fast forward and a super-fast forward button on it? It gave way to an old portable CD player with headphones, as my parents weren't too keen on me blasting rap (or for that matter, any) music in their house.

That CD player is still working in my grandmother's apartment to this day. Whenever I visit, I check on that old box every so often, turn it on, to see if it still works!
 
pupik
I got my dad's old Kenwood turntable, casette deck, and receiver unit. Both died after a few years, except the receiver, which lasted me about 12 years. It was so old, it had analog needles showing input and output volumes (with redlines!), and chrome toggle switches that made a noise when you turned them on and off. Naturally, this was nothing short of awesome.

That's quite a story, pupik. Incidentally, my dad also gave me his old stereo system when I was about 11. The system was an early 80s put-together of many brands. The equalizer was Fisher, the cassette deck was Technics, the turntable I can't remember, but the amplifier was Marantz... god, that sounded great. Four huge speakers! And the bass was excellent. I remember Queen, one of my favorite bands at the time, sounded great, especially We Will Rock You.

I had that system from 1987 to 2001. When I sold it and got myself a 3-CD Aiwa system. Oh well, nice memories of the older one. But the speakers were already starting to rot the the bottom and break up. The CD player was a one cd system, with the index buttons and all that Pupik mentioned. The equalizer had something wrong in it and of course, the parts were very hard to find, etc.

My stepdad on the othe rhand, had an amplifier with glass tubes instead of fuses... unfortunately, I wans't allowed to touch it, let alone play it. I could only hear it... ahhh
 
pupik
Mind you, this area of the country was suddenly policing the sales of music to minors because of the 2 Live Crew scandal of the late-1980s....(by the way, I bought that album on cassette...actually illegal to own in Florida for a time!).

I bought "Banned in the USA" when I was around 12 years old. I could listen to it freely at home, since my mother didn't understand a word of what they were saying. :p

Very, um, educational album. I didn't know who Martinez was at the time, though.
 
I've never brought a LP or Cassette but my first CD, or CD's I should say was Foo Fighters - There's Nothing Left To Loose and Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape.

Gotta love the Foo's.
:D
 
Cassette: Michael Jackson - Bad
CD: Only own about 5 CDs i've bought and the first one was Razorlight - Up All Night. Really didn't use to buy music at all, got given 'Now' CDs for Christmas and birthday once in a while. All CDs i've bought have been within the last couple of years.
MP3: Nivana - Come As You Are
 
Cassette: Vanilla Ice. Broke when one of the corner spools displace.
CD: First two M. C. Hammer albums, Tecnotronic-Pump Up The Jam, and Vanilla Ice to replace cassete. All got stolen with my van on Halloween 1991.
MP3: Phil Collins-In The Air Tonight (live)
 
LP: Never had one.

Cassette: ZZ Top - Eliminator, damn brilliant I recommend to all!

CD: Michael Jackson - HIStory, lolz, shap!
 
First album ever was Green Day's Dookie cassette.

Timelessness everyday.
 
Carl.
Very, um, educational album.


:lol:

My first cassette, unfortunately, was N'SYNC. :scared:

Did I really just admit that?


My first cd was some southern gospel cd my dad gave me. Boy have my musical tastes changed so much.
 
First tape was: Red Hot Chilli Peppers: One Hot Minute

First cd was: Nofx - Punk in Drublic. Great album and it only cost me $15 that I never payed anyway.
 
Integra Type R
:lol:

My first cassette, unfortunately, was N'SYNC. :scared:

Did I really just admit that?

And you dare post in the metal thread! :lol:
 
Not old enough for Lp's.....

I think Green day's 'Dookie' was my first cassette.....

And my first CD was Nirvana's 'In Utero' CD.

Not into MP3's and all that jazz yet.
 
LP- Under a Blood Red Sky- U2
Great stuff right there^
CD- SelfTitled- Third Eye Blind
Listening to that album again, I now realize a nine year old shouldn't have been listening to that. Good, but definitly on the creepy side.
 
Solid Lifters
I've had a lot of tapes givin' to me, but there was ONE tape I bought for myself, by myself, with only my money.

It was December 31st 1983, and Mom and I were at Target, the new Super Store. Well, new to our area, anyway. There we were, shopping for snack foods, soda, wine and the usual New Year's Eve crap, and I went to the music center of Target. There it was. In the V letter section of the cassette tapes, with a New! tag in bright red and yellow neon colors pointing out its location.

I ignored it, and looked through the Van Halen section. I noticed the tag coming closer, and closer and closer as I flipped through the Van Halen tapes. Then, BINGO! There it was. The album I've been waiting for. On its very first day it went on sale. Van Halen - 1984.

The cover was awesome, depicting a young kid with wings like an angel, smoking a cigarette. It was the coolest looking album cover I've ever seen. I had ten bucks on me, and bought my first ever album for $7.99 plus tax. It was a moment to remember, obviously.

I rang in the New Year listening to it over, and over, and over again.
Cool story!

As for my music firsts...

LP: None (Although I was in a record, yes a store that sells records last week, I was very tempted to buy a Rush or Zappa LP for the hell of it; I might consider starting an LP collection once my disposable income picks up)

Cassette: None that I can remember

CD: Feel free to laugh at me for this. The first Backstreet Boys CD. How the times have changed for me (musically...)
 
Ev0
CD: Feel free to laugh at me for this. The first Backstreet Boys CD. How the times have changed for me (musically...)

Oddly enough, I think you're not alone on that first CD purchase. :indiff:
 
Bah, I think I'm the worst.

LP : None.

CD : Backstreet Boys. Yep.

Cassette : 98 Degrees. Yep.
 
Back