DSJ: Vol 12 - '04 Nissan Falken GT-R

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
Welcome to the Drift Settings Journal!

Here we will thoroughly examine the handling characteristics of various cars in Gran Turismo 4 with the primary focus of the discussion set on their potential as a drift machine. The discussion will remain open for as long as people wish to add input, but a new subject car will be selected on a bi-weekly basis based on the results of a nomination thread.

I don't intend to impose a heavy structure on the conversation. Basically, you're open to post any observations, feedback, or settings for the car that you wish (provided that it is constructive and drift related). Drift it how you want, where you want and let us know your thoughts and about your tuning process and tactics.

I would like for this discussion to be a way of discovering new tuning methods and styles from others. Hopefully it will also become a place to openly talk about drift related handling problems of the current topic car and learn how others have compensated for such short-comings.

If you have any suggestions with regard to how this idea may be made more successful, please PM them to me.

The subject car for this volume as selected by the forum in the nomination thread is:
Subject Car: '04 Nissan Falken GT-R Race Car
  • May be purchased from Nissan Dealer for 550 000 Cr.
Let the drift settings discussion begin.

Hmmm, personally I find racing in this car better than drifting in it. I suppose it all depends on whose settings you use. The settings I used for drifting it first time were, quite frankly, utter garbage. May have another go at it sometime, just to see if it can run with some of my personal favourite rides.

Not an easy car to drift, but I do have some settings from a while ago.
They are far from perfect, but you could use this as a start:

Upgrades:
Turbo Stage 4
N1 Tires all around

Settings:
Spring Rate: F-16 R-9
Ride Height: F-55 R-80
Bound: F-10 R-4
Rebound: F-10 R-4
Camber: F-3.5 R-1
Toe: F-0 R-0
Stabilizers: F-7 R-6

Trans: Auto Setting 4

Brakes: F-10 R-15

Downforce: F-23 R-32

AIDS OFF!!!

You have to throw this car a lot, even though it has tons of power...
Never ending smoke 👍
Hope the settings help

To see in action, click my video link in my sig and watch "Coolgeekz Drifting 2" (I know horrible name...)

I hope, using DSJ and my own findings, to fine tune these settings to make a 500 hp brick drift better than it currently does (like a brick)

I just cant get this car to drift propperly. There is a few things that just kills it for me. You cant ajust the lsd, too much downforce. And like CoolGeekz said, you have to throw it into corners and still its not drifting right.
Im very curious to see what you guys come up with.

This my first experience drifting in GT4, so forgive the lame tuning :dopey:.

Impression
Using my initial setting, this car is very understeer, is this car 4WD or something?. I can't make it turn properly, and to make the problem worse, braking will only make the car go straight no matter how you attempt to slide it, and I know nothing about brake tuning either :dunce:. The car also has too powerfull power, starting from stand still can make it spin if I am not carefull. Car snapping also make drifting harder, especially on DS2 controller :ouch:.

Tuning
The first thing I do is reducing the snap, so I use moderately stiffer front suspension setup. And since I prefer minimal counter drift I use +4 toe. The car still feel front heavy and refuse to slide. Whenever I slide it the rear will refuse to slide along. So I figure that I have to balance the front and rear slide. That's means I have to make the rear tire more slippier.
To make the rear more slippier I have two option, using tire stagger which make the car more sticky, or using camber. I choose the later one. After some testing I found that using 0 front camber and 7 rear camber make front and rear slide equally.
Although drifting using DS2 is hard for newbie like me, I can still pull 5+ second drift on some corner in Apricot Hill, and some 10+ second drift from corner entry to the wall too :dopey: :lol:. Spin is still a problem, but sustaining drift is easy.

Upgrades:
N1 Tires all

Settings:
Spring Rate: 16 / 12
Ride Height: 105 / 105
Bound: 1 / 10
Rebound: 1 / 10
Camber: 0.0 / 7.0
Toe: 0 / +4
Stabilizers: 7 / 1

Brakes: 1 / 3

Downforce: min / min

No aids

This setup you made sucahyo is amasing, i'm very impressed of how your settings made this grippy car drift:tup: . Once I got used to the new settings, it was a blast to drift. IT worked pretty well on GVS-long, but then I went to Apricot Hill Raceway and this is the right track for this car. Those long wide corners were perfect - atleast for me :) .

I made a few ajustments, not much because I didn't wanna ruin the setup. I changed the rear camper to 8.0 and fitted a stage 3turbo. the extra power made it easier for me to initiate drift. you often need more power when you are using the DS2 controller, then when your using a wheel imo.

A few pictures I shot last night.
http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00001sz.jpg
http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00011uq.jpg
http://img81.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00027on.jpg

You all seem to use some very drastic settings such as 8.0 camber and +4 toe, but whatever works for you. I haven't tried this car yet.

identti
You all seem to use some very drastic settings such as 8.0 camber and +4 toe, but whatever works for you. I haven't tried this car yet.

I agree, while I haven't tried this particular car yet, having that much toe and camber simply isn't a good thing. It sounds to me that there may be some other issues.

Looking at sucahyo settings. They seem to be rather unbalanced. You're all set to slide but those setting don't give you much room for control. Forget precise inputs, there's just not much you can do with a 7.0 rear camber. But if it works for you and you enjoy it, go for it. I see it as being a very unbalanced way to setup the car though.

Tumopad
you often need more power when you are using the DS2 controller, then when your using a wheel imo.
I can't do that, even the stock power make me spin :dopey:. Glad you like my setting :). And from the picture it's clear that you are far better drifter than me 👍.

Swift
I see it as being a very unbalanced way to setup the car though.
The toe is for longer drift. The camber to make the front and rear tire slide goes sideways at the same amount. If I let it go sideways, it will still maintain the same position as sideways start, I assume this as balance. So if I go too fast in corner, the car will not spin or straighten up if I do WOT, it just go sideways all the way to the wall.
How my car handle? Is it hard to initiate drift or to maintain drift?

Well I can agree to that. This setup looks a bit unbalanced I have never used camper levels this high before, but it seems that the high levels of camper is the way to go with all this downforce.
It would be nice to see some of you, that haven't tried this car yet to actually try it:) it's a real difficult car to setup for drift.

Hey guys,
I've been fiddling with this bucket for 3 days now.
Here's is what ive come up with.

Tires:
F N2 / R N1

Brake Balance:
F3 / R11

Suspension:

Spring Rate: F 8.4 / R 7.6
Ride Height: F 85 / R 85
Damper(bound): F 5 / R 5
Damper(rebound): F5 / R 5
Camber: F 2.2 / R 1.2
Toe: F -1 / R 0
Stabilizers:F 2 / R 3

Transmission:
Auto Setting 10

Downforce:
Take both to their lowest numerical value. F 23 R 32

Driving Aids: NONE!

I hate this car with a passion. It was soo stuborn, i couldnt get it to throw the tail or anything. Then i realized the Downforce was on LoL, irl

So after finding that out i found the settings i had arnt too bad. LET ME ADD NOT THE BEST, but u can do remarkable drifts in it. Ive left everything in it stock, although i did buy stage 3 turbo just incase i didnt have enuff power/torque to get her sideways. With that add this car does have good capabilities, allthough i dont recommend this to beginners. Only slight counter steering is needed with smooth throttle control. With that said and done :ouch: I STILL HATE THIS CAR! :crazy:

Give the settings ago and let me know how it went.
Peace..

Once upon I time, I had this car fully built and tuned...then I lost my memory card--that really sucked. Luckily though, I got some footage of one of my drifts which you can see here. I loved this car because of it's massive angles and high speeds. It's a relatively easy car to tune, and can me matched to different styles fairly well. My setup with this car is very twitchy, but worked very well for me.

Vin_

i dont have the settings, but this car (the way i set it up) is good for very very long drifts

you can see it in my video thread, Its in "Drift Mayhem" i tuned so i could pull of stunts with it, its not good at 360 drifting but you can hold the drift till the corner ends easily:tup:

I need drift settings for '04 Nissan Falken GT-R Race Car where era all you pro drifters to post drift settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just so you know riverfiver, you don't need to double post, use the edit button in the bottom right of your post, also people will see your post and post their own settings that they feel happy with, so theres no need to hound others for settings. i have just finished my settings,
(front/rear)
n1 tyres on the rear, n3's on the front
camber-0.0/0.0
stabilisers, bound and rebound-full
ride height-65/65
spring rate-20.0/20.0
toe angle-0/0
downforce-23/32
no aids
no turbo
here it is

n1 tyres on the rear, n3's on the front