The Weekly Drift Series: Week 1 -- RESULTS POSTED!!!

Vote for the clip you like the most. You may set your own evaluation criteria.

• [YOUTUBE]3V3akQMQY3o[/YOUTUBE]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [YOUTUBE]Xu4piYgX7Ik[/YOUTUBE]

• [YOUTUBE]XkBL_Ro_38M[/YOUTUBE]

• [YOUTUBE]WDpZ2Ij67ZY[/YOUTUBE]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boundary Layer

navigating a sea of fools
Premium
GTP_Brent
wdsbannerj.jpg

Welcome everyone to the first of what will hopefully be many events in the Weekly Drift Series.

What is the WDS?
Well, it's kinda like the WRS, kinda like the DPC.

Every week a location and theme will be selected for all entrants to drift. The locations will be a short series of corners (never exceeding 4) at a particular track. A theme, if one is given, will not limit entrants car choice severely. It might be something like 'FR built between 1985 and 1995' or 'vehicle from Europe', or something along those lines. Fairly wideopen.

Entrants are given 1 week to drift and capture their run - normally this will be Saturday to Saturday. The video should have no distinguishing marks or characteristics that might identify the entrant - additionally, please do not post your car choice in this thread. The run should be captured with your choice of either the default track cam or with dive cameras, as well as with the chase camera + display (timer, guages, gmeter/wheel).

Entrants are asked to please upload their videos to YouTube, and provide me a link to their video before the deadline in a PM (do not post the video or it's link yourself!). Then there will be 1 week of voting (via a poll) to determine the winner. The winner will pick the theme for an upcoming WDS.
To recap:
  • WDS Theme/location given on Saturday
  • Entrants have 1 week to perform and capture their drift. No identifying marks. You may add music to your video.
  • Drift should be captured with track cam or dive cam, as well as with chase cam + display
  • Entrant upload their video to youtube. Do not post your video here.
  • Entrant PM's me the link to their video before the next Saturday.
  • A poll is constructed after the deadline passes (Saturday or Sunday).
  • 1 week of voting to determine winner.
  • Winner selects a theme/location for a future WDS.
I hope that gives everyone a good impression of the idea behind this competition, and how it will be run. But since it's new there may still be some bugs to work out. If anyone has any questions or suggestions please ask either here, or by PM-ing me.

So, let's get this show on the road. (yes, mark that one down as an intentional pun :sly: )

Weekly Drift Series - Week 1
Drifter's Choice at Trial Mountain II
by Boundary Layer

Please begin capturing somewhere within the tunnel on the backstraight. End the video before the sharp left hand turn (turn 10).

WDS1-TrialMountain.jpg

Theme:
Use your favourite drift car. No limits of any kind.

Deadline:
Video links are due by 23:59:59 Central Time (GMT-6:00) on Saturday, September 23rd.

Entrants:
Boundary Layer
nightkids4ever - withdrew
Ske
~Drift King~
MidnightRiot - no submission
GEETOWN_DRIFTER
12OcK7H340oz - no submission
HackiRoku
Drift2XS
SMOKEY BANDIT
Midnight Runner
Suzuki
Geoff
360-D1 - no submission
TRi
eds040

Please post if planning to partake in the festivities, just so I know how many links to expect.
👍

Weekly Drift Series - Week 1
Results

1st -- Ske - video #12 - 11 votes
(removed Ske's vote for himself)

2nd -- Midnight Runner - video #8 - 6 votes

3rd -- HackiRoku - video #1 - 2 votes
___ -- Suzuki - video #4 - 2 votes
___ -- TRi - video #5 - 2 votes
___ -- SMOKEY BANDIT - video #11 - 2 votes

7th -- GEETOWN_DRIFTER - video #2 - 1 vote
___ --Drift2XS - video #3 - 1 vote

9th -- Boundary Layer - video #6 - 0 votes
___ -- Geoff - video #7 - 0 votes
___ -- ~Drift King~ - video #9 - 0 votes
___ -- eds040 - video #10 - 0 votes

Thanks to everyone for participating and voting. I will be contacting Ske by PM to get his picks for the theme and location of WDS Week 4.

Thanks again guys. 👍👍

Tomorrow and new theme/location will be announced for WDS Week 3, and the WDS Week 2 Poll will be constructed. Please be sure to read the changes to the polling system for next week - they can be found in the first post of that thread.

Well done BL! Looking forward to the entries! :)

Sign me up BL. I have been looking forward to this. I have never drifted that track before so will be all new to me. Good luck to everyone that enters. :)

Nice, good participation already. 👍 Get to work on them entries.

I hope the track section satisfies everyone. I tried to be careful with my selection to find something suitable for beginners, but with a few hidden twists to challenge more experienced drifters looking to stretch the envelope.

Good luck guys! And remember, don't post your videos here - just send me the YouTube link before the deadline and I'll look after everything next Sunday.

Only thing that bothers me is that the 1st lap replay angles of those turns are lousy... so I have to run one and a half laps before going for it :indiff:

Anyway, got a replay saved now but I'll try various other cars to see if I can improve it ;)

(btw, why not turn 10?)

Should we do like the GTPDC, record one replay from track cam, then another from an above the car cam?

And i agree with ske about turn 10.

nah, just the two turns for this one guys. The map is already made ;) Sorry. I wanted to keep it short.

About the cameras: lets take an informal poll here since this will be run by me as much as it is going to be run the rest of you. Let's get some input

Should we:
a) leave it as is, using only the single track view + display (small vids)
b) use track view and a chase view (larger/longer vids)
c) let people get creative with choice of track view or dive cams, with a mandatory chase view + display.
d) forget track/dive views and just do a chase view + display
e) Track view w/OSD + freestyle view (onboard, dive, whatever) -- Ske's suggestion
f) other: _______________________________

I admit, I neglected to consider the camera angles on this section of track when I selected it. :dunce: I was more concered with the difficulty of the section.

Post your choice by Wednesday, and feel free to discuss cost/benefit of each. I'm quite open to rule changes at this point. ...but the track section is in stone for this week.

Ill Pick B and/or C becuase you have your choice of camera angle(dive/track) and make it look good, then everyone will have the same exact chase camera view so then its judged by skill and not the camera you picked.

A, would be bad for some considering some tracks have places were you cant see the car at all, like at El Cap were the camera drifts off to look at the mountain, while you can be doing donuts and ramming the wall, flipping your car etc.

Just My 2 Cents.

I just want to make sure I am thinking of the same camera. The track camera is the one where the view changes every so often right? I agree with Drift King, we should have the track camera and the camera that follows behind the car. It would make it easier to judge the chase cam if the track cam didn't have favourable angles.

Just had my first go at the corners, will have to practice a bit before I am ready to record. Can't wait to see everyones video. :)

I have a good base video down, i still have a week, so im going to try to push the envelope as far as it can go since this is one of my top drifting tracks.

Yes, by track cam I mean the default, normal view.

I'll continue to think about this, but so far I'm thinking that c) isn't a bad option. Allowing people to use dive can keep things fresh from vid to vid. I know as a GTPDC judge that after seeing two or three runs I would get bored by the same cams all the time.

I'd like these events to be fun and lively, so I have nothing against bringing in dive cams and letting people exercise their creativity - this might serve as some sort of equalizer between those new to drifting, and the vets. But ya, we would need the chase cam to verify that the replay isn't fabricated from several runs.

The points I'm still debating for myself are:
1. Would doing this take some of the focus away from the drifting and put more on the editting?
2. If so, is this necessarily a bad thing?

1. - Since these will be judged by everyone, it's entirely up to each individual voter what to base their decision on. Undoubtedly some would be taken in by a lot of flash and pretty angles (heck, I would be), it'd then be up to the entrant whether or not they want to try and target those voters. So I guess my answer to question 1 is... maybe.

2. - I said from the start that this competition shouldn't be as serious or heavily structured as the GTPDC's are. I think permitting dive cams would be a good step to differentiate the WDS from the GTPDC's. It would let the entrants put a little more personality into their runs and compose their video based on what's important to them, not what is important on a GTPDC scorecard.

Please keep posting idea and comments. This is just me rambling off my thoughts and in no way represents a decision on my part. I could quickly swing the other way given a good argument. We'll tally things on Wednesday, so keep your replays saved at least until then incase you have to record another view and render your vid again.

Ok,
i read some point of vue and for myself the car cam :sly:
(inside the car) is the best to judge the angle on turn, the speed effect and is a non cheatable view...for example make 2 or 3 run and make one with all best drift. this is not possible, and for the lenght of video i dont think judge gonna be bored if is the same view.
Ps(outside the car is too boring to watch):yuck: and more complicated to evaluate if anyone choose different cam effects.

How about

e) Track view w/OSD + freestyle view (onboard, dive, whatever) to bring out the most of the drift... One would have to point out that keeping this replay smooth and tidy to show the drift as it is would be ideal

Choice C makes the best sense to me bud. Nothing wrong with having fun. But there needs to be a view that clearly shows all the aspects of the drift. :)

Ok,
i read some point of vue and for myself the car cam :sly:
(inside the car) is the best to judge the angle on turn, the speed effect and is a non cheatable view...for example make 2 or 3 run and make one with all best drift. this is not possible, and for the lenght of video i dont think judge gonna be bored if is the same view.
Ps(outside the car is too boring to watch):yuck: and more complicated to evaluate if anyone choose different cam effects.

I'm going to have to disagree here.

The inside camera is the least communicative of all the views. There are many times when you THINK there is lots of angle but it's really the terrain/track as viewed from inside the car. It's also very hard to see smoothness of weight transfer and other aspects of the drift.

I like the in-car view best for driving, but for replays(especially drift replays) I find it to be the worst.

yeah im agree with you swift for the transfer drift and show the smoothest of you drift too.
But in so many track we loose the car view and i think special cam view gonna be too easy to cheat and too difficult to make a good point of view of video for judges.
Some cam effect show your drift more great than is originally and for this only point im vote for inside view car.

Confirming my entry.

and about the cameras,default view with OSD + roof cam+osd,one after another or picutre in picture,if the entrant has the software(Vegas,Premiere ect.) that allows such editing of capped files+ some music.

Back