◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,840 comments
Correct but I think both might get you a penalty in game if this spot is enforced the same as it was in GT5. The top picture is legal for S.N.A.I.L. at that moment but I would bet there were at least three tires past the rumble strip a second before that pic was taken.

Correct but I think both might get you a penalty in game if this spot is enforced the same as it was in GT5. The top picture is legal for S.N.A.I.L. at that moment but I would bet there were at least three tires past the rumble strip a second before that pic was taken.
It is enforced even harder in GT6. If the out side tires just even touch the white line you will get a 3 sec penalty, if you hit the concrete or the rumble strip you will get a 5 sec penalty.

It is enforced even harder in GT6. If the out side tires just even touch the white line you will get a 3 sec penalty, if you hit the concrete or the rumble strip you will get a 5 sec penalty.

Good. I wish it was like that for all track boundaries then the stewards wouldn't have to police the short cutting and track boundary violations.

So what we are saying is that GT6 will penalize you there even if it's legal (they recognize the white line and not the curbing). I'll have to check replays from last night but I wouldn't be surprised if my outside tires did touch the white line however I didn't receive any in-game penalties.

So what we are saying is that GT6 will penalize you there even if it's legal (they recognize the white line and not the curbing). I'll have to check replays from last night but I wouldn't be surprised if my outside tires did touch the white line however I didn't receive any in-game penalties.

That's how I understood it. That was certainly the case in GT5, so if it's even more stiff then I foresee lots of BS penalties being given by the game for non-violations.

It's really quite simple gentleman, and ladies, if there are any. Keep 2 tires on the trackside of the white line and you're golden. Start thinking about getting all 4 on the other side and you risk both in game penalties and SNAIL penalties. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

GT6 has it's rules and track boundaries and S.N.A.I.L. has it's rules and track boundaries. You have to follow both of them. If the GT6 rule is more strict than the S.N.A.I.L. rule then the game will penalize you for something that is legal by S.N.A.I.L. standards. If the game allows something that is not allowed by S.N.A.I.L. rules then the stewards can penalize you for that.

It would be nice to turn off the in game penalties and just go by S.N.A.I.L. rules but the stewards have seen far too many abuses of the track boundaries even with the in game penalties on.

As Dragon said as I was typing. You have to adjust to what is allowed as a driver. I understand the desire to squeeze every last tenth out of a lap, but you have to do it within the rules set forth by both GT6 and S.N.A.I.L.

Any tuners having LSD issues... :sly: then put away the Aphex Twin and black lights and read this. Great discription of the 3 setting on the fully adjustable diff.

That's how I understood it. That was certainly the case in GT5, so if it's even more stiff then I foresee lots of BS penalties being given by the game for non-violations.

They are not BS penalties. We all have the capability to discover those limits, in game, and decide whether to push those limits in sanctioned events or not.

The difference in what GT6 says is out of bounds and what S.N.A.I.L. says is out of bounds is most noticeable at Deep Forest. This brings up the question of how much further can D1 push in that corner with the in game penalties off? It is enough that the comparison data for lap times between divisions is not accurate for races at Deep Forest.

Let me throw this crazy idea out there! Keep 4 wheels on the pavement and you don't need to worry where the track boundaries are. Be faster on the pavement instead of finding where legal short cuts are:sly:

EDIT!!!
Hold the presses folks, this just in! The cat car and mouse car restictions have now changed. All mouse cars now must be kei/micro cars and can not be above 70 HP, the car choice for the cat car is open, but the max HP can not be above 350. Tuning is OPEN!!!!

YES! DAIHATSU MIDGET TIME!

Let me throw this crazy idea out there! Keep 4 wheels on the pavement and you don't need to worry where the track boundaries are. Be faster on the pavement instead of finding where legal short cuts are:sly:

I'll have to say, there is no such thing as a "legal short cut" It's allowed by SNAIL and allowed by the game, or it's a shortcut and therefore illegal.

Well, one of the first rules of being fast is to use all of the track width, or, at least in this case, all of the track width you're allowed to use. And, as Bowler hinted at, it's a bit unfair that the D1 guys get to utilize more track width than everyone else.

Is it enough to make the lap times invalid as Bowler asked? I don't know. Probably not. But speaking as someone who has raced in D1, D2, and D3, it was certainly nice when I was in D1 to not have to worry about being nailed with a penalty by the game if I screwed up my line a little bit.

They are not BS penalties. We all have the capability to discover those limits, in game, and decide whether to push those limits in sanctioned events or not.

I'd actually prefer an in game slap on the wrist before I end up driving poorly. Better to potentially lose a position than (inadvertently) cheat by driving off bounds.

This is the piece of track I mentioned (going in the opposite direction):

Legal?

e9qr.jpg

Illegal?

0w3y.jpg

Just my opinion, but both are wrong. Outside tires need to be on tarmac for optimal grip in reality, and i follow it by playing this game.

Just my opinion, but both are wrong. Outside tires need to be on tarmac for optimal grip in reality, and i follow it by playing this game.
Grip isn't what was the issue though. And really, in reality, the optimal grip line has as much to do with where everyone drives as it does actual proper racing line. If everyone on a track in real life ran that line, and you ran off that line, then chances are good you will hit loose track and tire bits and pebbles, making it looser to run a line that doesn't follow the "common" racing line. This isn't a concern in GT though
In this debate though, we were more worried about how far you could take a line on this corner, by the letter of the rule book, not so much the fastest line through the corner.

Grip isn't what was the issue though. And really, in reality, the optimal grip line has as much to do with where everyone drives as it does actual proper racing line. If everyone on a track in real life ran that line, and you ran off that line, then chances are good you will hit loose track and tire bits and pebbles, making it looser to run a line that doesn't follow the "common" racing line. This isn't a concern in GT though
In this debate though, we were more worried about how far you could take a line on this corner, by the letter of the rule book, not so much the fastest line through the corner.

Yes you are right, i was just thinking about the most used line as you said, if that part was flat with rubber and it's the line that is common for that circuit it's ok. But i still think the outside tires need to be a little bit off the white line, on that part. Maybe that don't add for the real question, but it's just my thought of a clean line.

SNAIL Funday Fridays!!!

Come one, come all to the greatest games on wheels! We’ve got spills, we got chills, we got bone shattering thrills!!!!! Grab up the family, get the neighbors, and don’t forget the dog, then hurry on down to the Funday Fridays lobby for crazy four wheel action!!
Tonight’s event, like every Friday night, will be the always popular Cat & SNAIL.
Here’s how it works; we will need 6 or more racers, while we wait for that count, we will do some short, cheap car derbies. When we get 6 racers, we will then run a 1 lap dirty sprint race. This will be to determine teams. Odds vs evens. More teams can be added if we get more participants (3 teams of 3 is AWESOME!). The object of the game is to be the team with your SNAIL across the finish line first.
How it works: Once teams have been decided, each team will need to pick a driver to be the SNAIL, the other 2 members of the team will be the cats. The SNAIL will be in a car around 330 pp, and the cats will be around 475. The Job of the SNAIL is to get to the finish line first. The cats are responsible for getting the SNAIL there! The cat can either protect and push their teams SNAIL, or go on the attack and try to take out the other teams SNAIL. No move is to dirty here folks. Smash, bash and destroy your competition. Just don’t forget, you’re on a team, and need to be sure your SNAIL is getting to the finish.
With all this action, be sure to join us tonight 9PM EST. Room opens at approximately 8:30. This is a friend’s only room event, so if you want to participate, please be sure to send a friend request my way. The more people we can get, the better the action will be, and trust me, the game is not leave you wanting or disappointed.

EDIT!!!
Hold the presses folks, this just in! The cat car and mouse car restictions have now changed. All mouse cars now must be kei/micro cars and can not be above 70 HP, the car choice for the cat car is open, but the max HP can not be above 350. Tuning is OPEN!!!!

I am thinking Mini Marcos for my mouse.

real rules of racimg is 2 tires need to always stay on the track which is the white painted line.

Back