◆ SNAIL [Spec] Racing - Currently Recruiting for GT7 - JOIN TODAY!!Open 

• Thread starter zer05ive
  • 147,815 comments
Congrats to Joby!

Erm on the post-race F1 development... won't say what it is to avoid mentioning any details of the finish. Entertaining race though!

The winner of the Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge is..

@jobyone

He will be be receiving two seats in ABRS's Adventure Program!!

20 High Speed Laps - Drive a real racecar at high speeds!. 0-100 in seconds!. Powered by Renault, Formula 1 winners, our open wheel racecars pull over 2G's of cornering force with Hankook racing slick tires

Learn From a Formula One Driver - Allen Berg, Formula One Series Driver, teaches you everything about the racecar and track so you can drive even faster (and safer). Super small class size of 6, so we can give you individual attention.

Over 60 minutes of training; you'll be attending a drivers meeting, in-car review class, high-speed track orientation session, drivers debriefing PLUS 20 high speed laps - prepare for 2+ hours of fun

Dress Like a Pro - You provide the driver, we provide the equipment. As soon as you arrive, change into an authentic Ferrari red race suit, select your helmet, gloves and let's get ready to race. Don't worry, we'll take a picture of you in the race suit.
"Its the best racing school I've attended. I have been to several other schools, Allen's staff is very professional, the cars are top notch, and the (MoTeC) data system and Debrief review exceeded my expectations. I traveled from Tampa to attend the school, I recommend anyone attending a racing school, go to Allen Berg Racing Schools"' - Jason B, Tampa, FL

Thank you for not spoiling it!!!

FYI You'll likely need to read online about it to find out (if watching on delay). If I understand right it wasn't confirmed for a few hours after the finish, so you'll have to check online after you've watched. I didn't know until I woke up this morning.

FYI You'll likely need to read online about it to find out (if watching on delay). If I understand right it wasn't confirmed for a few hours after the finish, so you'll have to check online after you've watched. I didn't know until I woke up this morning.
Ok will do. Thanks.

I must say I am still in Shock. I must thank first and foremost my Wife (or as she sometimes refers to her self as a GT Widow) for being so awesome. Thanks To @zer05ive and everyone that makes this league so awesome. A big shout out to The West Coast Division for being the best division in SNAIL (My opinion) and to al in SNAIL which is the best league in GT which is of course a fact because I said so and want it to be.

And finally thanks to The Allen Berg Racing School. I look forward to using my prize!

allen_berg_racing_school_logo.jpg

Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge

Thanks to those who have helped me in the past week to learn to drive better.

I have been having connection problems, sometimes during races (awful after lots of practice), so I have also been taking all the advice people have kindly be giving -- clearing my cache, rebuilding my database, reinstall the operating system, rebooting my modem, downloading and using the digital version of the game -- and hopefully tonight will be better. I am just at the end of the updates to the new digital version and I have been searching ahead of time how to use my current game progress in this new medium (obviously not going to use my DVD of the game). Is this going to be automatic, or do I need to do some sort of import process? It is on the same PlayStation box.

Just for other's info, I started the download of the digital version last night, late and the 15 Gig download took till about an hour ago, and my 1255 v. 1.05 update is at 31% done at this moment. I, like others, do downloads of lots of other stuff off the Internet and I know my connection speed is good, I think PD's servers are on the slow side. They might be using the standard old school, 1Gig, T1 connection; at least for downloading content. It's cutting into my practice time, but hopefully I won't lose connectivity as easily if the game is quicker to respond on my end.

UPDATE: Well, I am relieved to find that all my progress was automatically in the new digital version of the game on my PlayStation. And the online transition and loading server messages are noticeably faster. I hope this portends to better racing connectivity.

P.S. I finally figured out how to change my avatar. I decided to dedicate that space to my mom.

Last edited:
It may be digital, but you're still connected to PD's (or Sony's) servers, and we all know how good those are.

I must say I am still in Shock. I must thank first and foremost my Wife (or as she sometimes refers to her self as a GT Widow) for being so awesome. Thanks To @zer05ive and everyone that makes this league so awesome. A big shout out to The West Coast Division for being the best division in SNAIL (My opinion) and to al in SNAIL which is the best league in GT which is of course a fact because I said so and want it to be.

And finally thanks to The Allen Berg Racing School. I look forward to using my prize!

allen_berg_racing_school_logo.jpg

Allen Berg Racing Schools Challenge

Make sure you get plenty of footage and share to us the entire experience! Looking forward to seeing it.

I tried Ascari the other night while doing DTC practice. Put down my first 10 laps ever just so I don't crash 20 times tonight.

My initial thoughts is this is a terrible track for racing. It's tight AND narrow. It's a fine track for just driving around.

I see tonight's 1st race being a single file fun fest that will punish drivers who attempt any two wide shenanigans.

I forsee lots of dirt clouds and spinning Renault's.

I'm probably wrong though.
Points of Interest

This week S.N.A.I.L. will be running at Ascari Race Resort, Spa Francorchamps, and Autumn Ring. Ascari is making it's debut in S.N.A.I.L., Spa Francorchamps is making it's third straight appearance and Autumn Ring is making it's GT6 S.N.A.I.L. debut. Without further ado, here are your points of interest for this week.

Ascari Race Resort

ascari_map.gif

The Ascari Race Resort offers an impressive closed circuit where you can enjoy the speed in its purest form, without limits but always with a maximum safety. With 26 corners (13 left hand and 13 right hand corners) and incredible cambers and slopes, the Ascari circuit proud to be the longest track in Spain thanks to its length of 5,425 meters ,with the possibility to divide into three different sections or combinations.

The circuit is built with the highest quality, with a width of 12,2 meters throughout the whole length, the asphalt pavement gives a perfect balance between grip and tire wear as well as being an excellent drainage.

The above was taken from the Ascari Race Resort web page. Being that the track is a private resort and specializes in renting cars to customers or allowing them to drive their own cars on the track, they don't host actual races so the things we are used to seeing in a race track are not always present. The most glaring example would be that there are no proper rumble strips at Ascari. With this in mind, the track boundaries are a little different here. The white line serves as the boundary with the only exceptions coming at the chicanes on the track that have the wide areas of painted concrete. They will be shown in the photos below. The painted mounds at the edge of the track are NOT rumble strips and are NOT part of the track at any place on the track.

Two shots from the first chicane. You may use the painted areas as track but you must not put any part of any tire on the grass.

NKxy0Pv.jpg

RBTZEcS.jpg

Two shots from the second chicane. It's the same as the first. You may use the painted area as track but you must not put a tire on the grass.

bLMD1AG.jpg

JDUYSMD.jpg

If it looks like this then the white line is the boundary. You must have two tires on or inside the white line.

XsGkArN.jpg

Spa Francorchamps
spa-francorchamps.jpg

Spa Francorchamps was originally opened for business in August of 1921. The first scheduled race did not take place because there was only one entrant for the event. The first race held at Spa was a motorcycle race in 1922. The first 24hr race would be held in 1924. The original course was a 14km layout that featured long straights and was built to be one of the fastest tracks in Europe. Formula One would run on the 14 km layout until 1970 when the series cited safety and security reasons with the track. Modifications were made and the current layout was introduced in 1979 and Formula One would return to the track. Numerous run off areas were added to the track and the distance shortened by removing some of the long straights.
The track boundaries at Spa are not difficult to understand but can be difficult to follow. In all situations, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track but anything located behind them is not.

Exit of turn one. The red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The solid white line next to the strips is NOT part of the track and everything to the left of that line is NOT part of the track. If you find yourself out here, you must lift off the throttle and track re-entry rules do apply to you.

a0uG9Yi.jpg
The next three photos are taken from Eau Rouge. In all of the photos, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The solid black and everything to the left of it in photo 1 are NOT track. The solid white line to the left of the strips in the second photo and everything left of it are NOT part of the track. In the third photo, the solid black line and everything to the right of it is NOT part of the track. Once the red/white strips end, the white line is the edge of the track. If you find yourself OB, you need to lift off the throttle to avoid a penalty from the stewards and normal track re-entry rules will apply to you.

GECqMt7.jpg
udRB7fQ.jpg
kFqPzDH.jpg
This photo shows the end of the rumble strips where the white line becomes the track boundary. Any area to the right of the white line past the end of the red/white strips is considered to be out of bounds.

zHQeQ6D.jpg
This is turn 5 and the photo serves as an example for the entire track. It shows the red/white rumble strips as part of the track and the grass to the right of it is NOT part of the track.

S4JRZJI.jpg
Turn 6 shown here. The red/white strips are part of the track. The green area and the paved area on the left of the green area are not part of the track. If you find yourself here, you will need to slow down to negate any advantage you may have gained and wait to re-enter the track until you can do so without affecting any other driver.

zGX3UJ3.jpg
This is a section of track between turn 6 and turn 7. The white line serves as the track boundary here on the left side of the track where it connects the two sets of rumble strips.

O9tNZYl.jpg
This is the inside of turn 7 and the photo serves as an example for the rest of the track. The red/white rumble strips are part of the track. The brownish area directly to the right of the strips is NOT considered part of the track.

psMjiNn.jpg
Here is the exit of turn 7. Once again, we have the red/white strips as part of the track but the green area to the left of it is NOT part of the track. Once the rumble strips end, the white line is the track boundary. The different color paving at the end of the rumble strips is NOT part of the track.

89vdEVK.jpg
This is the outside of Pouhon or turn 10 and 11. The red/white strips are part of the track. The green area and everything to the right of the green are NOT part of the track. If you end up here, you will need to slow down to negate any advantage gained and return to the proper racing surface without affecting any other driver.

mJLD5z5.jpg
This is the exit of turn 17. As is the case everywhere else on the track, the red/white rumble strips are part of the track but the green area to the right is NOT part of the track. Once the red/white strips end, the white line becomes the boundary and the green area is still NOT part of the track.

n06lGbW.jpg
This is an overview of the final chicane. The entrance is at the bottom of the photo. The green area approaching the turn is NOT part of the track. You can't drive out there to improve your entry angle to the right hander. The red/white strips are part of the track throughout this section. Any green pavement, including the exit of the section (not pictured) is NOT part of the track.

ClFzeVu.jpg

Autumn Ring

Autumn_Ring_%28Reverse%29.png

Autumn Ring is an original track designed by PD for the Gran Turismo series. It made it's first appearance in GT1 and has only been absent from GT3. It has been reworked for GT6.

The boundaries are very simple here. The blue white rumble strips are considered to be part of the track and the grass is NOT part of the track. It's so simple, I only have one example shot of the rumble strips so I threw in a shot of a Ruf 3400 just for good measure.

n9rWSSz.jpg

MmG0Vxt.jpg

Good luck to everyone tonight. Keep it between the lines and have fun.

@JoeW On thursday night I would've agreed with you 100%. After practicing with fellow SNAILs (faster than me, with the same pace and slower than me) I come to realize that the great difference is SOLR and not the track/car combo.

In an effort to alleviate the Over Time hours of our Stewards and to help everyone but specially our Junior SNAILs I came up with this idea.

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a Subject Matter Expert on Racing but I like to help the SNAIL community.

1st Chicane at the start of the race.

Many other tracks lend themselves to attack for position with a strong start; however due to the short distance and lack of maneuverability at the chicane, keeping a nice and steady flow through the chicane will yield much better results than trying to go 3 wide here.

Breaking early to avoid the Domino effect will enable the whole field to go though the chicane without incidents. If you happen to bump someone, ghost pass or take someone off track apply your brakes and give position back.

Letting it Roll
Avoid heavy throttle / brake input at tight curves. Brake early and let momentum take care of the rest. Avoid tire noise as much as possible, excessive tire noise means the tires have no grip.

If I understood the rules quoted above, dust bunnies are permitted anywhere on the track EXCEPT the CHICANES. The brundle seems to be a common place this will be used.

Capitalize on others mistakes.
Sometimes being the fastest does not win races. As the dog fighters bite at each every other turn; eventually, mistakes will happen; be patient and ready to pounce.

The Grass
While using the grass at any other place in the track is permitted, be extra careful if you happen to find over this lovely territory.

The use of brake/throttle combination while turning or the car not being balanced can result in this

Use Different Racing Lines
This picture may not truly depict what was happening, but here at least 3 different cars are following different lines. If someone makes a mistake you need to have an alternative route to go through safely.

Re-Entering the Track
Sometimes even minor mistakes will get you off track (4 wheels totally out of pavement) and the first thought of the moment is to not lose more positions and re-enter the track as quickly as possible. As @DrKronin stated on the video from the 12 hours of Sebring. Improperly reentering the track can cause to mass chaos and very heavy penalties.

Do not reenter the racing line until is safe to do so.

Chicanes
Staying in bounds may seem almost impossible; but it is not. Here a perfect example of 2 cars going by the 2nd Chicane perfectly legal. Focus on having the car balanced and avoiding heavy throttle.

Dust Bunnies
Depending on the view that you use to race, you may think that you are in bounds, but take the time to review replays or ask whoever followed to check that you in fact stay in bounds. Here's an example of barely missing the exit chicane from coming from full speed to heavy breaking and then the chicane.

Just touched it by inches.

Mind what is on front of you
In order of importance, making sure you make the right breaking points is more important than checking
who is following especially if you have some room to breath.

30_Circuito-Ascari-Race-Resort.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the "two seats" means for the prize? Does that mean we get to run twice or can we take a friend?

I'll confirm with Allen Berg, but I believe it means two seats in one session. Although he may not have an issue with you using one seat in two sessions. Will let you know as soon as I hear back from him.

Congrats on the win.

@JoeW On thursday night I would've agreed with you 100%. After practicing with fellow SNAILs (faster than me, with the same pace and slower than me) I come to realize that the great difference is SOLR and not the track/car combo.

In an effort to alleviate the Over Time hours of our Stewards and to help everyone but specially our Junior SNAILs I came up with this idea.

DISCLAIMER: I am by no means a Subject Matter Expert on Racing but I like to help the SNAIL community.

Many other tracks lend themselves to attack for position with a strong start; however due to the short distance and lack of maneuverability at the chicane, keeping a nice and steady flow through the chicane will yield much better results than trying to go 3 wide here.

Breaking early to avoid the Domino effect will enable the whole field to go though the chicane without incidents. If you happen to bump someone, ghost pass or take someone off track apply your brakes and give position back.

Letting it Roll
Avoid heavy throttle / brake input at tight curves. Brake early and let momentum take care of the rest. Avoid tire noise as much as possible, excessive tire noise means the tires have no grip.

If I understood the rules quoted above, dust bunnies are permitted anywhere on the track EXCEPT the CHICANES. The brundle seems to be a common place this will be used.

Capitalize on others mistakes.
Sometimes being the fastest does not win races. As the dog fighters bite at each every other turn, eventually mistakes will happen, be patient and ready to pounce.

The Grass
While using the grass at any other place in the track is permitted, be extra careful if you happenn to find over this lovely territory.

The use of brake/throttle combination while turning or the car not being balanced can result in this:

Use Different Racing Lines
This picture may not truly depict what was happening, but here at least 3 different cars are following different lines. If someone makes a mistake you need to have an alternative route to go through safely.

Re-Entering the Track
Sometimes even minor mistakes will get you off track (4 wheels totally out of pavement) and the first thought of the moment is to not lose more positions and re-enter the track as quickly as possible. As @DrKronin stated on the video from the 12 hours of Sebring. Improperly reentering the track can cause to mass chaos and very heavy penalties.

Do not reenter the racing line until is safe to do so.

Chicanes
Staying in bounds may seem almost impossible; but it is not. Here a perfect example of 2 cars going by the 2nd Chicane perfectly legal. Focus on having the car balanced and avoiding heavy throttle.

Dust Bunnies
Depending on the view that you use to race, you may think that you are in bounds, but take the time to review replays or ask whoever followed to check that you in fact stay in bounds. Here's an example of barely missing the exit chicane from coming from full speed to heavy breaking and then the chicane.

Just touched it by inches.

Mind what is on front of you
In order of importance, making sure you make the right breaking points is more important than checking
who is following especially if you have some room to breath.

30_Circuito-Ascari-Race-Resort.jpg

Awesome write up @Wolfsatz ! May I suggest that in the event of a T1 chaos, we go to double yellow as well?

This.

Single file through there, just like Eau Rouge.

Congrats to joby!!! Enjoy that prize.

Looks like I'm out for tonight's event.
I really want to race but can't make the time to prepare again this week.

Excellent job on the Pit Board Exo !!! That makes it even tougher to miss another Sunday night.

Have fun...race clean.

Awesome write up @Wolfsatz ! May I suggest that in the event of a T1 chaos, we go to double yellow as well?

I like doing this during practice, but this is a decision that would require a major change in rules. It is also not fair for the pole sitter or others that are not involve in the wreck. I think as long as everyone observes good SOLR and does not get over aggressive it should be fine.

Between the great racing we had last night in the endurance race and this post, Shrumpracer is quickly becoming one of my new favorite SNAILS.:)

Last 2 Saturdays at the 'Ring and Spa have been some of the most fun Saturday nights I've had in a while, especially lat night with the close action that lasted pretty much all night!

I'd like to think that says more about my love for this stuff than the state of my social life. :lol: I'm secure in who I am! :sly:

Now let's get racing!!! :cheers: Is it Sunday night yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

The laps and qualifying periods for each race are now as follows;

• Round 1, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 2, 4 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.
  • Round 3, 9 Laps, 6 minutes qualifying.

To all hosts, directors and scorekeepers, if you are entering scores in the Director's document tomorrow night, and do not have permissions for some things, specifically, sorting, I will be in the document and will keep an eye on each divisional tab and sort them as I see they are not. Keep in mind, I will be racing as well, PD and Sony and the internet gawds willing, so it may be several minutes after you enter scores from one or more races, before I am able to get it sorted by score.
Which is correct, this or the 2nd post?

So who is looking forward to having some fun tonight? I know I am. I am hoping for a great turnout in the West Coast Division as I know I am itching to race since we missed last week. We will probably have some room if a few of the regular guys want to join us.

Hope to see you there and remember its just a game. Lets have fun and show each other the respect we all deserve.

Back